The Official Boxing Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

ADR

The Official Boxing Thread

Post by ADR »

2011 Boxing Schedule

February 26
Miguel Acosta v. Brandon Rios, Antonio DeMarco v. Reyes Sanchez (SHO)

March 5
Saul Alvarez v. Matthew Hatton (HBO)

Zab Judah v. Kaizer Mabuza (PPV)

March 12
Sergio Martinez v. Sergiy Dzinziruk, Andy Lee v. Craig McEwan (HBO)

Miguel Cotto v. Ricardo Mayorga, Miguel Vazquez v. Leonardo Zappavigna, Yuri Foreman v. Pawel Wolak, Christy Martin v. Dakota Stone (SHO PPV)

March 19
Lucian Bute v. Brian Magee (SHO)

Vitali Klitschko v. Odlanier Solis (TBA)

March 26
Yuriorkis Gamboa v. Jorge Solis, Mikey Garcia v. Matt Remillard (HBO)

April 2
Giovani Segura v. Ivan Calderon II (PPV)

April 8
Hozumi Hasegawa v. Jhonny Gonzalez (TBA)

David Lemieux v. Marco Antonio Rubio (ESPN2)

April 9
Erik Morales v. Marcos Maidana, Robert Guerrero v. Michael Katsidis, Winky Wright v. Matthew Macklin, James Kirkland v. TBA (HBO PPV)

April 16
Andre Berto v. Victor Ortiz, Amir Khan v. Paul McCloskey(HBO)

Juan Manuel Lopez v. Orlando Salido (SHO)

April 17
Chris John v. Daud Yordan (TBA)

April 23
Agbeko v. Mares / Darchinyan v. Perez (SHO)

April 30
Wladimir Klitschko v. Dereck Chisora (HBO)

May 7
Manny Pacquiao v. Shane Mosley, Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. v. Jorge Arce
Tentative: Kelly Pavlik v. TBA, Humberto Soto v. Urbano Antillon II (SHO PPV)

May 14
Andre Ward v. Arthur Abraham (SHO)

May 21
Jean Pascal v. Bernard Hopkins II, Chad Dawson v. TBA (HBO)

Carl Froch v. Glen Johnson (SHO)
---

Peace to Butta, bringinoutbangerz, and The Aluminum Falcon

Saturday will mark the first time in 24 years that two undefeated U.S. boxers meet in a unification fight.

Alexander vs. Bradley is best in class
How rare is what we'll see Saturday night when Devon Alexander and Timothy Bradley Jr. meet to unify their junior welterweight titles?

Rare.

In a fight that boxing fans have demanded for more than a year, Bradley and Alexander will become only the third pair of undefeated American fighters to face each other in a unification fight, and the first in 24 years.

The other two: Mike Tyson (then 30-0) against Tony Tucker (34-0) in a 1987 heavyweight championship unification bout, and Donald Curry (23-0) against Milton McCrory (27-0-1) in a 1985 welterweight unification clash.

"This is the biggest fight outside of [Manny] Pacquiao versus [Floyd] Mayweather," an excited Alexander said. "Everybody wants to see this fight. Two undefeated champions going at it toe-to-toe. It's going to be an amazing fight."
Last edited by ADR on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ADR

Post by ADR »

If Devon were to win, he would keep Bradley at arm's length and out-box him all night.

However, as nice as Devon is, he gets hit a lot. And when Bradley lands he can clobber the fuck out of his foes.

I imagine somewhere in this fight Bradley is going to knock the shit out of Devon and the outcome of the fight will depend on whether Alexander can pull himself together and continue boxing or if Bradley's stubborn pitbull demeanor takes over.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

hahahah at Alexander's corner

"I told you bout them fuckin headbutts ref. Caused by a blow?!?!?! This motherfucker"
UBM CD COMING SOON

Versive

Post by Versive »

Larry Merchant is bad for boxing.
I gave round 5 to Bradley, thought he stole the round in the last 30 seconds.
Have it 5-2 for Bradley thru 7. Very tough to score though.

Versive

Post by Versive »

5-3 thru 8. Anyone else notice how the ref seems in to be in the way of the camera shot more often than usual. It could just be the speed of these guys, but it feels like HBO is short a camera.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Well this sucks. I agree with Lederman's card, but seriously what the fuck

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

ahhahaha

"He kept rushing in with his headbutts, I could count bout 6 headbutts, no excuses, no excuses"
UBM CD COMING SOON

ADR

Post by ADR »

stevemaxboxing

Honestly, I thought Bradley was taking over and he was starting to roll. Not sure if Alexander wanted those last 9 minutes #boxing
---

Versive

Post by Versive »

Bradley's headbutts are a biproduct of his bulldog fighting style so I don't consider them intentional, but every time I've watched him fight they've played some role in his victory; not the type of shit that makes me anxious to see your next fight.

That said, I agree that Bradley was going to win that fight anyway, and it's definitely possible that Alexander bowed out.

ADR

Post by ADR »

^ Pretty much sums it up. Though the doc could've allowed more time for recovery. He called it as if there were a new cut or Devon verbally said he could not continue.

Kendall Holt was in the ring. He starched his opponent in the first round earlier tonight.

dubs

Post by dubs »

Damn. dont have hbo right now... so beat. Wanted Alexander to win.
Employee wrote:dubs being the West Coast's ric, his thug is bonafide and justified.

Versive

Post by Versive »

El Rey wrote: Though the doc could've allowed more time for recovery. He called it as if there were a new cut or Devon verbally said he could not continue.
True, I was thinking... if his eyes are stinging you should probably make the corner wash them out. As far as I know that's allowed during a time-out like that.

ADR

Post by ADR »

Dr. Peter Samet: (Ringside Physician) ג€œI told Devon that he had to open his right eye or the fight would be over. I asked him to open his eye three times, but he couldnג€™t do it. I feared temporary nerve damage or temporary paralysis was preventing him from opening his eye, so I recommended to the referee that the contest be stopped.ג€
---

Not for nothing, but Devon opened his eyes three times from what I saw, he just couldn't hold them open...which might happen after a facking headbutt.

Anyhow, Bradley was clobbering him anyway. His style/ will seems difficult to handle. I want to see him against Khan.

The Valero fight falling through is still something I can't believe. That caveman motherfucker was a wildcard.

ADR

Post by ADR »

Kendall Holt Destroys Lenin Arroyo - What Next For ג€œRated R?ג€

By James Slater: Former WBO light-welterweight champion Kendall Holt, still only 29-years-old, made an exciting return to winning ways on last nightג€™s Bradley-Alexander under-card. ג€œRated Rג€ landed a peach of a left hook to the jaw of journeyman Lenin Arroyo, sending the over-matched fighter down on his back hard in the very first round. The fight was over without the need of a full count.

Now 26-4(14), the Paterson, New Jersey fighter hopes to get back in the thick of things at 140-pounds - currently one of the hottest weight divisions in all of boxing. Still fast, still fresh and seemingly still full of desire, there could be some good fights out there for Holt. He sure looked better last night compared to when we saw him get out-muscled and out-fought by the physically strong Kaizer Mabuza almost a full year ago ( Mabuza is next, of course, for Zab Judah, with the vacant IBF belt at stake).

One name that springs to mind as a potential target for Holt, is reigning WBA 140-pound champ Amir Khan. Khan is still searching for an opponent for his April 16th defence in Manchester, U.K and last night, as a studio guest on Sky Sports, Khan said heג€™d be interested in a fight with Holt. Would Kendall be willing to fight as big a fight as this as soon as April, or will he want to get some more rust off first?

Holt did acknowledge post-fight yesterday that ג€œitג€™s still a long road back to getting that world championship belt back.ג€

The belt Holt held (from July of 2008 to April 2009, when he lost it via decision to Bradley), is the WBO belt; maybe the long term goal for him is to get a return with Bradley. Both that rematch and a Holt challenge of Khan would be interesting fights, as would a Holt clash with Zab Judah; if Zab can win the IBF belt in March. Or how about a Holt-Mabuza II if the South African can best Judah when they meet in New Jersey?

The one fight many fans really wanted to see wonג€™t ever be happening now unfortunately. Holt twice went to war with Colombiaג€™s Ricardo Torres and they each won one fight, in controversial circumstances. A deciding rubber-match would have been great, but Torres decided to retire and thatג€™s that.

There are still plenty of potentially exciting fights out there for Holt, however, and it was good to see him back with a bang last night.

Article posted on 30.01.2011
---

Fuck it, do the Maidana fight. It's just as good as Holt/ Torres III

ADR

Post by ADR »

Khan wants to fight Bradley in England, possibly in September

Speaking with Sky Sports News, Khan said ג€œIג€™d like to get the April 16 fight out of the way then definitely Iג€™ll fight Timothy Bradley, who is the number one in the division. Iג€™m number two and I think that will be a brilliant fight. It will be a lot easier to make. Bradleyג€™s with Gary Shaw and I think that fight could be made. Also Bradley did say he would love to come to England and fight me, what a great fight that would be for the English fans. I want to do it before Ramadan starts, so I can fight to have the whole of Ramadan off and then fight again at the end of the year.ג€

Source

Versive

Post by Versive »

No way Bradley is gonna travel to England to fight Khan. Could definitely be a good fight though, regardless of the forum.

Not sure Judah will be able to beat Mabuza, but I'll be rooting for him.

ADR

Post by ADR »

Dog...

16,000 tix sold for Pacman-Mosley
Just 1,000 tickets remain

Pacman Fever hit MGM Grand this morning with one of the biggest ticket runs in Las Vegas boxing history. Between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. PT, 16,000 tickets were sold to the Manny Pacquiao vs. Sugar Shane Mosley world welterweight championship. Barely 1,000 seats remain for Pacquiaoג€™s return to the Fight Capital of the World, where he hasnג€™t fought since 2009. ג€œIncredible. Simply incredible,ג€ exclaimed Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum when he heard the news today. ג€œI have never promoted a fight that has sold so many tickets so quickly. Manny Pacquiao never ceases to amaze the world with his achievements. The excitement he generated today with the initial ticket sales makes it feel like fight week already!ג€
---

I'm still not excited about this match-up but it's apparently going to be huge for boxing (what with the CBS prime time build-up)

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

I think it'll be more competitive then people think, I still got Pac winning, beating down a tired Mosley in the later rounds.
UBM CD COMING SOON

Versive

Post by Versive »

Keyote def. Iannuzzi and Franco def. Miranda last night on Showtime - two really good fights won on decisions that I think should have gone the other way.

Didn't get the scores for the the Franco fight cause my DVR didn't record the whole thing, but two of the scorecards in the opening bout were way off.

atlantiswasreal

Post by atlantiswasreal »

first time poster on here, just recently got into boxing about a year and a half ago and am loving it to death. anywho, just read that Juan Manuel Marquez is pulling out of his fight with Morales here:

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/1257 ... ht-morales

I was wondering if there was even anyone interested in this fight (probably a big reason why JMM pulled out).

The same article also reads that Morales is now calling out Maidana. He really wants to die.

ADR

Post by ADR »

This weekend:

ADR

Post by ADR »

After July Amir Khan Fight, Tim Bradley's A Free Agent

By Lem Satterfield
Boxing Editor

LAS VEGAS -- WBO and WBC junior welterweight (140 pounds) champion, Tim Bradley, will face WBA counter part, Amir Khan, on July 23, thanks to an agreement in principle to the terms of a bout that was negotiated by Bradley's promoter, Gary Shaw, and, Khan's Golden Boy Promotions.

According to Rick Reeno of BoxingScene.com, Shaw and Golden Boy Promotions met last week in Los Angeles and reached a verbal agreement on most of the major points in the deal.

Bradley-Khan is going to happen in the United States, with Las Vegas and California as the two preferential locations.

Bradley's manager, Cameron Dunkin, confirmed the report during a Thursday press conference at the Mandalay Bay Hotel in Las Vegas, which Dunkin attended as the manager of WBA interim super flyweight (115 pounds) titlist Nonito Donaire (25-1, 17 knockouts).

Donaire will take on bantamweight (118 pounds) WBO and WBC champion Fernando Montiel (44-2-2, 34 KOs) in an HBO televised clash on Saturday night.

"They've already given out a date and they've given out a place, which is going to be right here at the Mandalay Bay Hotel. Our guys is ready to go," said Dunkin of Bradley-Khan.

"We just want to go over the financial terms and everything and all of the things that go around with the fight," said Dunkin. "I'm sure they want to talk about a future and all of that, but we're ready to go."
The 27-year-old Bradley (27-0, 11 KOs) is coming off of an HBO televised, Jan. 29, 10th-round, unanimous technical decision victory that dethroned southpaw WBC titlist Devon Alexander (21-1, 13 KOs) as WBC champ.

Alexander marked the third straight unbeaten fighter that Bradley has defeated, following Lamont Peterson (28-1-1, 14 KOs), and Carlos Luis Abregu (29-1, 23 KOs).

The 24-year-old Khan (24-1, 17 KOs) is coming off of December's unanimous decision victory over then-WBA interim belt-holder, Marcos Rene Maidana (29-2, 27 KOs), whom Khan floored in the first round before having to survive nearly being knocked out himself in the 10th.

Khan-Maidana was named the Fight of the Year by the Boxing Writers Association of America.

Bradley-Khan is contingent on Khan's getting beyond an April 16 match up against fellow Englishman and southpaw Paul McCloskey (22-0, 12 KOs) in an HBO televised clash from the MEN Arena in England.

Cont.

mud

Post by mud »

El Rey wrote:Khan's getting beyond an April 16 match up against fellow Englishman and southpaw Paul McCloskey
:jaz:

atlantiswasreal

El Rey wrote:This weekend:

this could be the best matchup - in terms of quality fighters - that we see this year - unless there's a paul williams/segio martinez III.

ADR

Post by ADR »

Goddamn. Somebody find a gif of when he did that exact same shit to Vic Darchinyan

ADR

Post by ADR »

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VQLbi2duG5E?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VQLbi2duG5E?fs ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

atlantiswasreal

that shit was ridiculous. after the fight you can clearly see a red spot where he got hit on the side of his head. it almost looked like a dent.

Orale Holmes

Post by Orale Holmes »

doesn't Donaire take supplements from Victor Conte?

atlantiswasreal

Orale Holmes wrote:doesn't Donaire take supplements from Victor Conte?
I'm not sure if that was made apparent or not. But Victor Conte is in his camp and he's involved in the training process - whether that involves supplementation, nutrition, or training equipment - not sure. Before the fight, HBO as showing a montage of each fighter and in Donaire's segment they showed him hooked up to this gas mask contraption that helps simulate high altitude - and Conte was standing right by him while he had this thing on his face. You thinking he's roiding? He did just beat up on probably the guy that should have won fighter of the year for 2010 - no disrespect to Sergio M.

Versive

Post by Versive »

That KO punch was INSANE - early frontrunner for KO of the year.
For what it's worth, in that pre-fight expose` Donaire said he was willing to take a blood test at any time.

The Jones/Karass fight was really fun to watch. Jones fought a damn good fight and I'm excited to see where he goes from here. Personally, I'd have only given Karass 2 rounds, but dude is definitely one tough S.O.B.