Buildin the Criterion collection...

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Dan

Post by Dan »

The site is so slow right now. I've been trying finish my order and keep getting the error page.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Yeah i haven't been able to get through either. Site must be getting flooded with orders

Dan

Post by Dan »

Took about 40 minutes to finally complete, but I got my order in even though I could never get past the "Pace Your Order" button. Kept getting an error every time I pressed it, but just got the e-mail confirmation that my order was accepted.

I ordered 3.

Rushmore
12 Angry Men
Godzilla

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Did you get the $10 credit too?

I still haven't been able to get my fucking order through

:icedit: Took hours but finally got it in. 3 Outlaw Samurai, Tokyo Drifter and upgraded to my Diabolique copy to blu-ray. $44.

eris

Post by eris »

Got 4 on blu ray:

The Red Shoes
Solaris
The Complete Monterrey Pop Festival
Diabolique

Dan

Post by Dan »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Did you get the $10 credit too?

I still haven't been able to get my fucking order through

:icedit: Took hours but finally got it in. 3 Outlaw Samurai, Tokyo Drifter and upgraded to my Diabolique copy to blu-ray. $44.
No, never knew about it until I saw you mention it. From what I've read, it looks like only people that created wishlists received the credit. I never created a wishlist, I just listed what I owned.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I did the same thing and never set up a wishlist either. They responded to my email and credited my account within an hour though.
Might be worth a shot. loyalty@criterion.com is the address you want.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Tommy Bunz wrote:I did the same thing and never set up a wishlist either. They responded to my email and credited my account within an hour though.
Might be worth a shot. loyalty@criterion.com is the address you want.
Apparently I need to work on my ass-kissing game. I sent an e-mail asking about the credit, but they just responded telling me what I already knew, that it was for wishlist creators. No, "here you go, Dan, we'll make an exception for you." They just told me to watch out for other specials and promotions.

Sucks, I wanted to get Three Outlaw Samurai for $5.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

It's a shame Greaser's Palace didn't make the Robert Downey Sr. boxset. That shit isn't even on dvd, and it's a fantastic movie.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

jamrage wrote:It's a shame Greaser's Palace didn't make the Robert Downey Sr. boxset. That shit isn't even on dvd, and it's a fantastic movie.
actually released a year or two ago:
http://www.amazon.com/Greasers-Palace-A ... 642&sr=1-5

I am completely unfamiliar with Downey Sr's work so I'm looking forward to that eclipse set a good bit.

aleph

Post by aleph »

Hmmm, I pretty much wrote RD Sr off based on Babo 73 which was pretty fuckin dull. More of a NY 60s underground artifact but barely interesting even on that level.

But youse guys comments have revived my interest. Greaser's Palace sounds interesting, and despite the mixed opinions I've been hearing about Putney Swope I'd check it on the basis of this scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynzIevOJmGQ

Looks like something straight outta Kentucky Fried Movie
EDIT: Argh, can't embed

Dan

Post by Dan »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Image
I've never bought an Eclipse set, but this may be my first just so I can have Putney Swope.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Dan there's also a standalone edition of Putney that came out a few years ago.
Was put out by Homevision, which is like criterions sister/parent company, which is where a lot of the stuff Janus Films has rights to that doesn't get make the collection goes (Zatoichi and Hanzo the razor films, for example).
I'm guessing the version of Putney that's in this eclipse set will be the exact same print but without any special features in the standalone dvd.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
jamrage wrote:It's a shame Greaser's Palace didn't make the Robert Downey Sr. boxset. That shit isn't even on dvd, and it's a fantastic movie.
actually released a year or two ago:
http://www.amazon.com/Greasers-Palace-A ... 642&sr=1-5

I am completely unfamiliar with Downey Sr's work so I'm looking forward to that eclipse set a good bit.
Good looks.

I had a helluva time finding it online. The only torrent I found was a VHS rip, and netflix doesn't carry the dvd so I assumed it wasn't available.

I highly recommend checking out Greaser's Palace. Pretty sure that's the only one of his films I've seen thusfar. Been meaning to catch Putney Swope.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Dan there's also a standalone edition of Putney that came out a few years ago.
Was put out by Homevision, which is like criterions sister/parent company, which is where a lot of the stuff Janus Films has rights to that doesn't get make the collection goes (Zatoichi and Hanzo the razor films, for example).
I'm guessing the version of Putney that's in this eclipse set will be the exact same print but without any special features in the standalone dvd.
Ah, just realized the Eclipse set is DVD only. Might have to go seek out that Putney DVD then.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

June. Awesome month. They finally announced Inagaki's Samurai Trilogy :rockout: (no box art for it yet though). So happy right now.

The Gold Rush

Shallow Grave

June 19
And Everything is Going Fine

Gray's Anatomy

June 26
The Samurai Trilogy

The 39 Steps

Panama

Post by Panama »

Samurai Trilogy !!!!!!!

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

I saw one of those Spalding Gray documentaries recently, and was not impressed at all.

perfectprism

Post by perfectprism »

I have Walkabout on my OnDemand, thoughts anyone?
the boy is the father to the man

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

jamrage wrote:I saw one of those Spalding Gray documentaries recently, and was not impressed at all.
I think this is just one of those instances where their relationship with the director is the driving influence behind the release as they clearly are close with Soderbergh and have put out a lot of his back catalog.

Final cover art for the Samurai Trill-ogy

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

^^^woooooow

side lol, when Kenny gets mad at his brother for touching his alphabetized 'critereions' , followed closed by 'friends season 6 critterion edition'
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

perfectprism wrote:I have Walkabout on my OnDemand, thoughts anyone?
About what? Whether you should watch it or not, or what we think about it.

It's worth a see imo, definitely an interesting movie. The themes and satire are rather obvious, but it's a beautifully shot movie. A few :naswtf: moments as well. Not sure if you've seen it or not, so I don't want to go into too much more detail.

perfectprism

Post by perfectprism »

whether it was worth watching.

it was.
the boy is the father to the man

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

[quote]Disc Features

CONTINUITY-ASSISTANT-APPROVED THREE-DISC SPECIAL EDITION:
ג€¢New high-definition digital restoration of the 1990 directorג€™s cut, presented in 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition
ג€¢New audio commentary featuring Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, author of It Takes a Village: And Other Lessons Children Can Teach Us
ג€¢Excerpts from the French television program Cin

Panama

Post by Panama »

The sad part is, I would buy that in a heart beat

Panama

Post by Panama »

SYNOPSIS: Historically, the policier and the family comedy were two distinct categories. Then, in 1990, Kindergarten Cop gave us all a lesson in genre revisionism. With muscular sensitivity, Hollywoodג€™s last action hero Arnold Schwarzenegger embodies detective John Kimble, who is compelled to go undercover as a teacher of five-year-olds in order to catch a ponytailed drug dealer. Though itג€™s distinguished by pulse-pounding suspense, a Crayola-bright palette by cinematographer Michael Chapman (Taxi Driver), and trenchant observations about education in the Bush I era, the filmג€™s emotional center is Schwarzeneggerג€™s gruff yet good-tempered interaction with a class full of precocious scamps, including a tumor-forewarning death-obsessive and a genitalia expert. By leavening a childrenג€™s film with enough violence to please even the most cold-hearted bastard, director Ivan Reitman shows that he refuses to color inside the lines.

:rofl:

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Panama wrote:The sad part is, I would buy that in a heart beat
No doubt. Might be the best cover design they've done all year too.

Panama

Post by Panama »

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mwXwHR3mQ8c?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mwXwHR3mQ8c?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Panama wrote:SYNOPSIS: Historically, the policier and the family comedy were two distinct categories. Then, in 1990, Kindergarten Cop gave us all a lesson in genre revisionism. With muscular sensitivity, Hollywoodג€™s last action hero Arnold Schwarzenegger embodies detective John Kimble, who is compelled to go undercover as a teacher of five-year-olds in order to catch a ponytailed drug dealer. Though itג€™s distinguished by pulse-pounding suspense, a Crayola-bright palette by cinematographer Michael Chapman (Taxi Driver), and trenchant observations about education in the Bush I era, the filmג€™s emotional center is Schwarzeneggerג€™s gruff yet good-tempered interaction with a class full of precocious scamps, including a tumor-forewarning death-obsessive and a genitalia expert. By leavening a childrenג€™s film with enough violence to please even the most cold-hearted bastard, director Ivan Reitman shows that he refuses to color inside the lines.

:rofl: