Judge Dredd (2012)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

oh shit.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Got to admit, after seeing some pics from the upcoming film, this could be a bigger disaster than the Stallone film. It's out this September and not a teaser or trailer yet.
Lionsgate sets 'Dredd' for 2012
3D pic to be released on Sept. 21, 2012

Adding another 3D title to its 2012 pipeline, Lionsgate has dated comicbook adaptation "Dredd" for a Sept. 21 release.
"Dredd," based on the popular "Judge Dredd" comic book series, marks the first September 2012 release for Lionsgate. The distrib plans to launch "The Expendables" sequel on Aug. 17 and 3D horror pic "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" on Oct. 5.

Directed by Pete Travis and starring Karl Urban, Olivia Thirlby and Lena Headey, "Dredd" tells the futuristic story of a powerful cop in Mega City One, a city that runs down the entire east coast of America. Pic is produced by DNA Films' Andrew Macdonald, Allon Reich and Alex Garland, along with Stuart Ford's IM Global.

"Dredd" is included in a three-picture deal between Lionsgate and IM Global that was announced during November 2010.

In its date, the film will launch the same weekend as Sony's toon "Hotel Transylvania" and a week after Sony/Screen Gems' fifth "Resident Evil" installment, both of which will screen in 3D.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Spartan wrote:Got to admit, after seeing some pics from the upcoming film, this could be a bigger disaster than the Stallone film. It's out this September and not a teaser or trailer yet.
Lionsgate sets 'Dredd' for 2012
3D pic to be released on Sept. 21, 2012

Adding another 3D title to its 2012 pipeline, Lionsgate has dated comicbook adaptation "Dredd" for a Sept. 21 release.
"Dredd," based on the popular "Judge Dredd" comic book series, marks the first September 2012 release for Lionsgate. The distrib plans to launch "The Expendables" sequel on Aug. 17 and 3D horror pic "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" on Oct. 5.

Directed by Pete Travis and starring Karl Urban, Olivia Thirlby and Lena Headey, "Dredd" tells the futuristic story of a powerful cop in Mega City One, a city that runs down the entire east coast of America. Pic is produced by DNA Films' Andrew Macdonald, Allon Reich and Alex Garland, along with Stuart Ford's IM Global.

"Dredd" is included in a three-picture deal between Lionsgate and IM Global that was announced during November 2010.

In its date, the film will launch the same weekend as Sony's toon "Hotel Transylvania" and a week after Sony/Screen Gems' fifth "Resident Evil" installment, both of which will screen in 3D.
September next year.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

D'oh!

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Lots of new images from the upcoming Dredd have debuted in the latest issue of Empire. Scans are now online (Thanks to SuperHeroHype forum members "Project862006" and "Rogue Trooper") and you can check them out below.

Adapting the "Judge Dredd" comics that originally appeared in "2000 A.D.", the film takes place in Mega City One, the lone oasis of quasi-civilization on Cursed Earth. Judge Dredd (Karl Urban) is the most feared of elite Street Judges, with the power to enforce the law, sentence offenders and execute them on the spot, if necessary.

The below images also provide the first glimpse at the costumes for Judge Cassandra Anderson (Olivia Thirlby), the villainous Ma-Ma (Lena Headey) and more.

Also confirmed in the magazine is the fact that Dredd will keep his iconic helmet on throughout the film. Having the character appear so often without said helmet was the subject of much fan criticism in the 1995 feature adaptation, which starred Sylvester Stallone in the lead.

Read more: New Dredd Photos Debut - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienew ... z1TITSB3zh

A fragile looking Judge Anderson, over-sized helmets and stubby looking lawgivers, I can forgive but the body armor and shitty shoulder pads are fucking terrible.

How hard is it for the costume designers to recreate this?

Still want to see this movie though. :lol:

Funkdoobiest

Post by Funkdoobiest »

Anyone wanna read the script? http://www.megaupload.com/?d=THVZVTPH

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

if the theme song isn't i am the law by anthrax, then fuck this film

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Drokk!

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/119/1198972p1.html
Dredd Director Ditched
He was the law. Now someone else is instead.

Dredd director Pete Travis has reportedly been booted from the post-production phase of the comic book movie relaunch after heated disputes with the producers over the footage he shot.

"Instead, the editing room is now being run by a writer-producer on the film, the screenwriter Alex Garland," according to the Los Angeles Times. "In fact, so involved are Garland and two other producers, Andrew Macdonald and Allon Reich, that Garland may seek a co-director credit on the movie. Although he's made no decision on whether he'll seek that credit ... the fact that the possibility is even being considered is unusual. Garland is a novelist and screenwriter who did not shoot the movie and has never been credited with directing a picture before."

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Despite the uniform not looking right and that pathetic looking Lawmaster bike, I still really want to see this film pretty badly.

A recent ray of sunshine:
DREDD Gets An R-Rating From The MPAA
Fans hoping for a brutal take on Judge Dredd in the upcoming reboot can now rejoice as the MPAA have given it an R-Rating. To find out what earned it this particular classification, hit the jump for details.

Last year, DREDD producer Andrew Macdonald had this to say about director Pete Travis' take on the iconic 2000 AD character. "Our idea is to make a very hard, R-rated, gritty, realistic movie of Dredd in Megacity, so we've got to get the tone right. He's not going to take off his helmet. His bike is going to feel real. He's going to hit people and it's going to feel real. There's been a change in comic-book movies; they were treated unseriously and now they're treated seriously." Well, it looks like they kept their promise as the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) has now classified the film with an R-Rating.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/schedule/?view=mpaa&p=.htm

Many thanks to Box Office Mojo for the above information. The movie stars Star Trek actor Karl Urban and promises to be far more faithful to the source material than the 1995 version which starred Sylvester Stallone. Controversy surrounded the film last year when it was revealed that Travis was prohibited from participating in the editing process after creative disagreements arose between producers and executives (writer Alex Garland ended up taking over these duties). Are you looking forward to the movie? Sound off with your thoughts below.

RELEASE DATE: September 21st, 2012.
"Strong blood violence" Thank you Based Grud.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Have to say I have little faith in Karl Urban as a leading man.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

I think he might do the part justice (no pun intended) a lot more than Stallone ever did, for one - the helmet is staying on. Dying for a trailer or teaser to this movie.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

arguing in the edit suite and booting out the director has rarely, if ever, been a good sign for a film.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Et tu Brute?

Maybe Garland & Co are in that editing suite trying to put John Wagner's creation together the way it's meant to be and not by some guy who directed Vantage Point and a couple of episodes of The Bill.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Have to say I have little faith in Karl Urban as a leading man.
i don't mind him. dude easily has all the traits needed to be a convincing action star, he just never had a chance to properly flex them. pathfinder wasn't that bad
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

drizzle wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote:Have to say I have little faith in Karl Urban as a leading man.
i don't mind him. dude easily has all the traits needed to be a convincing action star, he just never had a chance to properly flex them. pathfinder wasn't that bad
Pathfinder was what I had in mind when I wrote that. Its a fun movie but that has very little to do with what Urban brought to the table imo. Just don't see him carrying a movie on his own. I like him better when in smaller support roles like in Bourne or Star Trek.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Ya he killed it in Star Trek

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
drizzle wrote:
Pathfinder was what I had in mind when I wrote that. Its a fun movie but that has very little to do with what Urban brought to the table imo. Just don't see him carrying a movie on his own. I like him better when in smaller support roles like in Bourne or Star Trek.
You might want to avoid And Soon The Darkness...then.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I already was avoiding that because I heard it was gay. I'm assuming thats what you mean though.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Nothing is gay if Odette Yustman & Amber Heard are in it. A very bland film though.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

No teaser, no trailer, nothing, and it's only four months away.

This is cool though.

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/elmeQ ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/elmeQ ... 3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Been reading a few of the very early Judge Dredd stories and I'm kind of warming up to the new movie uniform - it does kind of make sense despite my grievances. The Lawmaster bike still looks like a ridiculous abomination though. What the hell, as long as the film is good.

Some info regarding the film's main villain, Ma-Ma Madrigal.
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/05/ ... -in-dredd/

ג€˜Dreddג€™: ג€˜Game of Thronesג€™ star takes ג€˜madג€™ sci-fi detour
May 07, 2012 | 12:34 p.m.

Lena Headey in ג€œDredd.ג€ (Lionsgate)

On ג€Game of Thrones,ג€ Lena Headey plays Cersei Lannister, the diabolical but damaged queen who hides behind a face of royal beauty, but fans of the HBO medieval epic might need a moment to recognize the British actress in the sci-fi film ג€œDredd,ג€ which is scheduled to arrive in September. Like Cersei, Madeline ג€œMa-Maג€ Madrigal ruthlessly puts down all challenges to her authority, but her scarred face is no facade ג€” itג€™s more like a map of the cruel metropolis called Mega City One.

Lena Headey in ג€œGame of Thronesג€ (HBO)

In a world scorched and sickened by radiation wars, Mega City One is one of the last pockets of civilization but it tests the bottom limits of the word. Madrigal is the fierce gang leader who rules Peach Tree City Block and that puts her squarely in the sights of the filmג€™s title character, Judge Joseph Dredd ג€” played by Karl Urban of ג€œStar Trekג€ and ג€œThe Bourne Supremacyג€ ג€” the most feared of the cityג€™s Street Judges, the elite armored agents who bring the entire criminal justice system to the sidewalk; they are arresting officer, judge, jury and, yes, executioner.

The film has being called a remake of the 1995 Sylvester Stallone film ג€œJudge Dredd,ג€ but it might be more precise to think of it as do-over adaptation; in his 35th anniversary, Judge Dredd remains the most iconic creation of the British comics scene, but none of the savage and scabby spirit of those comics (think ג€œDirty Harryג€ on patrol in the ג€œDeath Raceג€ world) reached the screen in the glossy bloat of the Stallone film.

The first Judge Dredd comic premiered in March 1977 ג€” the same month the Clash released their first single, ג€œWhite Riot,ג€ and the Sex Pistols signed a contract with A&M Records at the gates of Buckingham Palace. All of London seemed up for grabs, and the choices seemed like anarchy or fascism. Headey, during a recent interview at the offices of HBO in Santa Monica, says the goal of this new ג€Dreddג€ was to get back to the blood-bruise qualities of those comics.

Judge Dredd in comics, circa 1987 (IPC/Fleetway)

ג€œThe world [in the film] feels really British, and I donג€™t know if thatג€™s because itג€™s so dirty and dark,ג€ Headey said. ג€œAnd itג€™s ג€¦ violent. Just in terms of gunplay, theyג€™re not afraid to show blood and gunshot wounds. And itג€™s set up in this concrete sort of shanty town ג€” itג€™s shanty but theyג€™re blocks ג€” concrete favelas.ג€

With that backdrop, many citizens are ready to accept the glowering Dredd with his Lawgiver pistol and police-state promise. Others, however, would rather escape with Slo-Mo, the reality-bending drug that is funneling though Madrigalג€™s gang.

Madrigal was conceived as a much older character, in her 70s or older, but Headey won over Alex Garland, the screenwriter and a key engine of the project, to the idea of a middle-aged woman who has logged a lot of city miles.

ג€œSheג€™s a prostitute who then kills her pimp and takes over his drug-running business,ג€ said Headey, whose acting credits include Queen Gorgo in ג€œ300″ and the title role in ג€œTerminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.ג€ ג€œAnd Ma-Ma is a bit of a man-hater.ג€

Headey said she came up with the image of a sullen and cynical predator to help her find an entry point to the role.

ג€œI think of her like an old great white shark who is just waiting for someone bigger and stronger to show up and kill her,ג€ Headey said. ג€œSheג€™s ready for it. In fact, she canג€™t wait for it to happen. And yet no one can get the job done. Sheג€™s an addict, so sheג€™s dead in that way, but that last knock just hasnג€™t come. This big, fat, scarred shark moving through the sea and everyone flees and sheג€™s like, ג€˜Will someone just have the balls to do it? Please?ג€˜ג€

Karl Urban as Judge Dredd (Lionsgate)

The big question in the air around ג€œDreddג€ is whether the Lionsgate film is actually going to be any good. There were reports that director Pete Travis (ג€œVantage Pointג€) was fired during post-production, but then a released statement insisted that he was still onboard and that he and Garland (ג€œ28 Days Laterג€) had agreed early on to share duties in an unorthodox way. (You can read the back-and-forth of it all at 24 Frames.) Working with Garland was the draw for Headey.

ג€œג€˜Dreddג€™ was a weird, little, out-of-the-blue thing for me,ג€ Headey said. ג€œWe met up and I read, and he kind of loved what I did and I loved the script. I think heג€™s a brilliant writer, heג€™s good guy, Alex. So I ended going out to South Africa to shoot this mad thing. In terms of the scale of the movie, the budget was tiny.ג€

Indeed, the film has a lean budget ג€” reportedly $55 million to $60 million ג€“ but an approach of austerity and bleak shadow may actually help the film separate itself from the shiny sci-fi of the 1995 movie (which also had an especially odd cast that included Diane Lane, Max von Sydow, Rob Schneider and rock star Ian Dury).

That version, directed by Danny Cannon (who would go to be an executive producer and director on all three ג€œCSIג€ franchises), infuriated longtime Dredd readers by jettisoning the dark satire of the comics, adding a romance for the title character and daring to let Dredd walk around without his helmet, which is akin to letting the Lone Ranger ride into town without a mask. Adding insult to injury, those fans would hear again and again that ג€œMad Maxג€ and ג€œRoboCopג€ took direct inspiration from the Dredd comics and produced genre classics ג€“ while the characterג€™s own spotlight moment ended up as a dim-bulb project.

But will the lawmanג€™s second shot be any closer to the target? At least this time the project has started with the correct ammunition, judging by the comments of Urban, who grew up as a Dredd fan: ג€œItג€™s going to be much more gritty, much more real ג€” the environment, Mega City One, is going to feel like a real city,ג€ the actor told Chris Tilly of IGN back in 2010. ג€œItג€™s not going to feel like a Hollywood back lot. There will be no gold cod-pieces, and weג€™re definitely going to stay faithful to the way that the character was originally conceived and written. Heג€™ll keep his helmet on.ג€

ג€“ Geoff Boucher

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

to this day, remembering Stallone wearing that suit and screaming "i'm the law" cracks me up

that the fuck was that?
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

moved by duck muscles

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

looks a lot like stringer bells suite from the monster movie

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Got to admit, the lack of any big promotional teasers and trailers make me anticipate this movie more than anything else this year. Like how it used to be before the internet.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Trailer is unleashed tomorrow.

Ten second preview:

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/DrHfq ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/DrHfq ... 3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Waiting for an better PQ official one but here's the leaked trailer. Looks great. Film might actually be awesome.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/TztlW ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/TztlW ... 3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

kinda looks like the raid with less action and more catchphrases.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Or Game of Death without the cardboard cut of Bruce. Seriously though, I do see similarities with The Raid in terms of premise but the Dredd trailer seems to have nailed the character much better than the '95 film from the looks of it.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

a few shots are almost frame for frame identical to the raid but who cares, they didn't invent that premise anyway. i'm def on board with this one