Saafir confined to a wheelchair - Shock G explains [Davey D]

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Balzac

Saafir confined to a wheelchair - Shock G explains [Davey D]

Post by Balzac »

Just saw this pop up on ugsmag.com.
From DaveyD.

hopefully not old news. I certainly had no idea his life was so fucked.

http://hiphopandpolitics.wordpress.com/ ... heelchair/
Last year, a close friend asked me “Why is Saafir in a wheelchair?” and with a sigh, all I could muster was “It’s complicated” because it really is. Months later, he asked me a 3rd time, so I shot him this email below:

Saafir’s sitch is the gradual result of a series of events..

Here’s a ruff timeline:

1992:

Survived TWA plane crash at JFK scheduled for Frisco. Engine blew during take-off, skidded-out sidewayz off the runway, came to a stop, and after a few seconds, burst into flames:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWA_Flight_843

Saafir was the first one off, but he jumped before the slide fully inflated and wound up jolting his lower back as his feet hit the ground beneath the thin material. It was a Boeing DC-10, so it was hella high-up (..like jumping from a 3rd floor apt balcony).

Afterwards he refused hospital assistance (“I’m aight”) ..in a hurry ta catch the next plane back to the bay.

Saafir
1994:

At a d.u. photo shoot in Jack London Square (oakland) for Rappages mag, showing-out for the writer & photographer, he jumped onto the metal steps of a moving train that was goin faster than he anticipated. So when he jumped back off 2 blocks further, he hit the street with a snap, causing him to run violently faster than humanly possible for the first few steps to keep from scrubbing on camera, ha. He pulled it off, but it looked craaazy, and for the rest of that day he kept holdin his lower back and whispering ”Damn, I think I fucked my back off again blood”.

1994 thru 1999:

He popped hella ecstasy without drinking the required water to protect the spine from dehydration.

2000:

While on Up in Smoke Tour w/Xzibit, horseplayin around backstage he hurt it again while kickboxin wit da homies. He could barely stand up from the pain. So Nzazi Muhammed (Digital Underground’s fitness & witch doctor) came & met him backstage, gave’m acupuncture & some massage therapy which immediately got him movin around again. This became one of Saafir’s classic stories, how Z made him lay on the concrete and had him screamin in pain right in front of Dr.Dre, Ras Kass and everyone while he worked on him, and how he jumped up afterwards in disbelief, and with a huge teary-eyed smile told Z, “Damn blood, u really fixed my back!! For the first time in 5-years the pain is gone!! Wow man, thanku man, thanku!!!”

2000 to 06:

Does two more Up in Smoke tours w/Xibit.

Back pain gradually returns & increases over the years, resulting in several doc visits & consultations.

2007:

His first spinal operation for “cartilage deterioration” and “nerve damage” on a few specific vertebrae. Afterwards, against doctors’ advice to “take it easy and stay off your feet while you heal”, he continued to do shows & hustle in the street.

07 thru 09:

Music biz real slow, so to pay his rent he starts grindin his prescription back-pain meds (oxys & roxys, high $treet demand) while he breathes thru the pain “like a soldier”.

Meanwhile, in addition to back pain, his right leg gradually begins to go numb from the toes upward, until he has to walk (and perform) with a cane:

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/6 ... 01-saafir/

Early 2011:

Numbness reaches his knee on right leg, left leg first signs of numbness in the foot. After several doc visits & diagnosis’s, still no solid explanation or solution. “Scar tissue around his lower spine is swelling and pressing against the nerves that control the legs” is the general assessment.

Late 2011:

Can’t walk at all on his own anymore, begins using a wheelchair. Loses his own place, and hasta move in with an ex-gf who he doesn’t get along with but was the only place he could go. They barely get along, the scene is usually tense. Meanwhile, his X & molly abuse continues, and without ever drinking water (their nightly ritual is to x-out before they fuck and crash-out). He continues to ride-out the pain (“Blood, I’ma soldier”) while flippin his pain meds for cash.

Also worth a mention, and since ever, Saafir is a sugar junkie (skittles & soda), only eats junk food, and has been chaining Newports since the early 90s. He recently told me he hasn’t eaten a vegetable in over 10 years, and most of his meals come from either the Arco Mini-market, 7-Eleven, or the Wendy’s nearby their deep-east oakland apartment.

Feb 2012:

He reveals to Money-B his sitch, which spreads thru the crew & shocks all of us. None of us had any idea, and we’re all hurt & pissed that he waited this long before he told anybody.

March 2012:

I go visit him, our first in-person meeting in over 10-years. His apartment is small, dark, cluttered & filthy. Cig butts fill every ashtray, empty soda bottles & fast-food cups everywhere. When our eyes met, it took all my strength to push down the urge to cry, and we met w/big smiles & hugs. But later when I was alone, I had ta pull the car over and dump tears for 10-minutes straight.

By now paralyzation had reached his hips, no feeling in either leg, can’t wiggle a toe or flex any leg muscles. It took us 2-hours to dress him and get him into the car, and then another 2 to get him situated in bed after our food & pharmacist run.

After the visit, I jump onboard full throttle in search of anyone who can help, any medical solution..

April 2012:

shock & Saafir
We zero in on the Laser Spine Institution in Scottsdale Arizona who propose a procedure with a 90% success rate. After reviewing his med records, requesting several new MRIs, and a slew of financial form clearances, they accept his case. We negotiate the appointment for late May, and began the surgery-prep processes at home.

May 26, 2012

I fly out with him as caretaker.

On day 2 of the 7-day process, after many tests, they apologetically announce they can’t help his situation. “Our type of procedure can’t treat his type of injury” was their only explanation, “We’re extremely sorry you traveled this far..” and they reimbursed us 15k of the 20 we spent to make it happen.

June 2, 2012

Saafir returned to his gloomy home situation in oakland devastated, exhausted & defeated. All of our hope was in that trip to AZ.

2012 to present:

Still searching for a doctor or a procedure that can help.

Still living off skittles, soda, chips and 7-Eleven burritos.

Still chain-smokin Newports

Still got them roxys fo’ya!

B. Ware tha Siniq

Re: Saafir confined to a wheelchair - Shock G explains [Dave

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

that's some pretty crazy shit. The untold stories of broken down underground rappers are ripe for the movie/book world. But that's a wild one for sure.

On another note, I haven't really heard anybody talk about the influence of Saafir's style on Kendrick. It's gotta be there right? Saafir was the most robotic sounding rapper of the 90's West Coast shit.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Surprised to see Shock so honest and putting it all out there. I'm glad he did because it gives us understanding but I wonder how Saafir feels. Sounds like he really has only him to blame despite some unfortunate events. But the reality is, if he wants to make music and earn a living he still can. If Grimm can, Saafir can. I wish him the best, always always like Hobo Junct.

ayentee

Post by ayentee »

sheesh
lyricist/beat-maker/gamer/hermit

Brokewax

Post by Brokewax »

Was just listening to Boxcar Sessions yesterday, wondering where this cat went. That's beyond fucked up :owens:

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

:(

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

I saw him on a local show called "Distortion 2 Static" a few years back and he briefly mentioned spinal cancer/injuries.

:bow:

One of the best rap albums of all-time.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

As a person with a chronic back injury, I can definitely relate.

I don't know if he could have been healed, but he did nothing to help himself.
Part of it is being young and dumb, but it sounds like his pride got in the way.
I can't pretend to know him, but every time I was around him, dude was a certified asshole.
Insecurity is a motherfucker, especially if you think you're "famous".
I'd rather have Shock let people know what's really going on, if it helps him save himself.
It seems like he's in a very dark place, I hope he can come back.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

Somebody remind him "you gotta crawl before you ball"...

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Shit is extremely :owens: .
Damn...

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

2nd time I've read some crazy shit about Saafir. Damn that sucks.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

love to Saafir the Saucee Nomad, one of my favorite MCs of all-time, a personal GOAT and an eternal hip hop legend

this is the saddest thing I have read since I read that Big L was killed.

love to Shock G

this is so fucking sad to read.

peace and love and healing and hope to Saafir
Last edited by Mindbender Futurama on Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Damn, I can only imagine how many hits of E this dude dropped.

Sad shit, but damn he could have prevented at least some of this.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

:sad:

This is fucked up. I'd heard about the "spinal cancer" thing before but obviously had no clue that it was an entirely different situation.

Damn.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Pretty blurry picture but you can tell he looks awful. Sheezus. :sad:

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

On another note, I haven't really heard anybody talk about the influence of Saafir's style on Kendrick. It's gotta be there right? Saafir was the most robotic sounding rapper of the 90's West Coast shit.
Good thinking - I get what you mean...

get well Saafir...at least the girl seems to love him...

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Ol' Drake in reverse lookin ass dude.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

wow :owens:

fak

Post by fak »

I need to holler at the homie for some roxies.. I saw this G4 interview where he talked about how he went to Casual's crib with a strap after the hiero/hobo junction battle on some "we gon keep it rap or we can take it to another level" and was about to smoke cash

ric

Post by ric »

rap lyfe....sucky....this on the other hand....
We zero in on the Laser Spine Institution in Scottsdale Arizona who propose a procedure with a 90% success rate. After reviewing his med records, requesting several new MRIs, and a slew of financial form clearances, they accept his case.
On day 2 of the 7-day process, after many tests, they apologetically announce they can’t help his situation. “Our type of procedure can’t treat his type of injury” was their only explanation, “We’re extremely sorry you traveled this far..” and they reimbursed us 15k of the 20 we spent to make it happen.
is on some sort of legitimate 'easy 5k' hustle in arizona

RacquetballGangsta

Post by RacquetballGangsta »

damn...
twitter.com/deweydimbabwe
www.stonesthrow.com/vex

nett ist der kleine bruder von scheiße

EichTurner

Post by EichTurner »

Balzac wrote: He recently told me he hasn’t eaten a vegetable in over 10 years
:lol:
man.. sad story though.. it sounds like he still has some pretty good friends though who look out for him a little bit.. :owens:
illegal mind shoe lace

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

Sylissez wrote:Ol' Drake in reverse lookin ass dude.
Drakeamin Button Syndrome
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Smithee
ladies luv kool smithee

Post by Smithee »

Well this is shitty news... :meh:
ric wrote:rap lyfe....sucky....this on the other hand....We zero in on the Laser Spine Institution in Scottsdale Arizona who propose a procedure with a 90% success rate. After reviewing his med records, requesting several new MRIs, and a slew of financial form clearances, they accept his case.
They shoulda just flown him into Stanford on a helicizznopter. Sure, he'd probably be in debt for the rest of his life but @ least it wouldn't be in a wheelchair. Plus it'd of saved hella time.

:roll: @ Arizona hospitals posing as legit...

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

That was a really sad read.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Casual kills that shit.