BOOKS. whatcha readin...?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

ChaMerZ

Re: BOOKS. whatcha readin...?

Post by ChaMerZ »

oh shit R.I.P.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ric

Post by ric »

reading the second leviathan wakes book. it's better so far. will report back

edit
it's called Calibans War. it's actually really good. unfortunately you have to read the first to really feel the second the way you're supposed to. again the first one Leviathan Wakes is pretty decent and has great ideas but also a bunch of annoying garbage and uninspiring craftsmanship I mean like a bunch of it

ric

Post by ric »

reading this 'steam punk' sci-fi shit called Boneshaker. I'm like 3-4 chapters in. in the last chapter the author basically explained the same shit at least 3 times. and guess what. the conclusion the character came to was established at the beginning of the chapter and was 'inescapable' at the end of the chapter. what a waste. why is this person published but I'm not? what a fucking waste. I mean ugh. really. I'm going to continue reading this book because theoretically there's cool shit somewhere in there but I have yet to really encounter it. and if I don't encounter enough cool shit and the writing doesn't improve I am quitting the book.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

sounds interesting. never read any steampunk books. just added it to my goodreads. btw, ric you got good taste in books man.

i am currently not reading anything at the moment. too much of a backlog. first priority right now is the karl popper book on indeterminism and rudy rucker's infinity and the mind. won't be able to get started on any of the two though until some time mid next month.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

actually, i just read the rest of your post and some of the reviews on goodreads. doesn't seem like a lot of ppl dug it. skiiiip.

i wonder what the classics in the steampunk genre are. william gibson did a steampunk book with bruce sterling but i haven't read it ... yet.

these days, whenever i think of steampunk, i think of bioshock infinite.

ric

Post by ric »

@chamerz
thanks sir. but yeah will probably end up returning this shit for a refund. get something else. shit is not hot at all right now. a little further though.

my next shit may be those umm...malazan book of the fallen from last page. Erickson.

as far as steam punk goes yeah not sure. the gadgetry sounds cool but then when you realize how most authors would want to build the world and set it in the past and be bitches about it it just doesn't seem that sweet and I'm losing interest. this book is doing past zombie survival horror gadgetry. and so the premise is set up fine but the style and the world and the characters are big issues that basically make it unreadable.

zappy

Post by zappy »

i'm finally on book 9 of the malazan book of the fallen by steven erickson.

this may be my favorite fantasy series... it's really, really good.

could not recommend more.

zappy

Post by zappy »

just realized that i already posted that just on the last page.

the main point here is that one of you assholes needs to pick up the first book so you can corroborate

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

zappy wrote:just realized that i already posted that just on the last page.

the main point here is that one of you assholes needs to pick up the first book so you can corroborate
well, this thread isn't very active. most of :phila: is allergic to reading fiction. however, it might help if you try adding some substance to your mini-reviews like ric does.

anyways, i used to be a huge fantasy head so i might check it out. thanks for sharing.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

zappy wrote:
Yohan wrote:I'm currently finishing the last Game of Thrones book and though I still have a few other books queued, it's a pretty long wait for Winds of Winter. I'm looking for some replacement fantasy in the mean time, preferably in the same mold but as long as it's well written I'm down. Suggestions?
the malazan book of the fallen (which is not a book, but a ten book series) by steven erickson.

i'm on book 9 now, first read through, might be one of my favorite fantasy series.

it's pretty unorthodox when it comes to plot development, it seems like for the first three or four books each book has a new main character who you havent met before, but as you read, they all get spun together.

cannot recommend this series enough, and i'm not even done with it.
is it young adult fiction (in the vein of the eragon series) or is it more like wheel of time? btw, have you ever read wheel of time? i think we discussed this before.

zappy

Post by zappy »

it's not young adult.

i have read wheel of time, or most of it. i've started it like 3 times, and read to the most current book, and i probably need to do that again soon to finish it off once and for all.

malazan book of the fallen is written by an anthropologist, and the world building is really really good, but i dont think there is an aspect of this series that isnt amazing. the one thing that is really hard is getting a new book, or a new section of a book and suddenly finding yourself with a new set of characters, when all you want is to follow the ones that you've been following... but that doesnt last very long. every section is good in its own right, and every character is great.

honestly it's hard to describe and i dont want to ruin anything, but this series has everything. the world is deep, the magic is unique, the characters are memorable and interesting, and like all good fantasy, it's just as relevant to our world as its own.

i've been reading fantasy pretty much my entire life, and i've had a favorite author for pretty much the last decade, but i think that's about to change.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

zappy wrote:it's not young adult.

i have read wheel of time, or most of it. i've started it like 3 times, and read to the most current book, and i probably need to do that again soon to finish it off once and for all.

malazan book of the fallen is written by an anthropologist, and the world building is really really good, but i dont think there is an aspect of this series that isnt amazing. the one thing that is really hard is getting a new book, or a new section of a book and suddenly finding yourself with a new set of characters, when all you want is to follow the ones that you've been following... but that doesnt last very long. every section is good in its own right, and every character is great.

honestly it's hard to describe and i dont want to ruin anything, but this series has everything. the world is deep, the magic is unique, the characters are memorable and interesting, and like all good fantasy, it's just as relevant to our world as its own.

i've been reading fantasy pretty much my entire life, and i've had a favorite author for pretty much the last decade, but i think that's about to change.
a long-time fantasy head :cheers:

you've convinced me. let me open up my goodreads.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

I'm trying to get into Yukio Mishima's biography at the moment.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

About halfway through this, already she has slept with half of hollywood, had 13 abortions and is starting to go schizo

shit is fascinating

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

&

I just read the HOBBIT to my 8 year olds, then we watched the movies. They freakin' loved it!!!

Reading WATERSHIP DOWN now and plan on watching afterwards. What do yall think about reading that one to 8 year old boys? Too Soon?

either way, i asked the same to my FB fam and friends. Mostly got positive remarks. A couple saying that I'm crazy as the book is too violent for kids at that age.

Whatever, shit is real. They need to recognize that all rabbits arent good in this world. Besides, we was walking in the wilderness today and they kept referencing Fiver & Hazel. Reading to your seeds man. Its fundamental!

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

reading a biography of kimitake hiraoka (yukio mishima) by john nathan. fascinating individual.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

The Watership Down movie is pretty graphic, I don't think I'd show it to 8 year olds. It's also not very good, but I'm probably in the minority on that one. Just got a criterion collection release.

zappy

Post by zappy »

ChaMerZ wrote:reading a biography of kimitake hiraoka (yukio mishima) by john nathan. fascinating individual.
yoooooooooooooooooo why arent you reading gardens of the moon?

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

zappy wrote:
ChaMerZ wrote:reading a biography of kimitake hiraoka (yukio mishima) by john nathan. fascinating individual.
yoooooooooooooooooo why arent you reading gardens of the moon?
literally the next thing i'm gonna read bro. i must have forgot to put in on my to-read list on goodreads, and if a book isn't there, then more than likely i'm not going to get to it.

remember, if the series turns out to be :shittylikesometp: i'm coming back in this thread to tear you a new one Image

zappy

Post by zappy »

not a possibility.

ric

Post by ric »

just finished sartres Existentialism and Human Emotions

elected to stop reading gardens of the moon. not enough story.

next book either neitzsche The Gay Science
or Spy Handler which is a memoir by a kgb intelligence boss

zappy

Post by zappy »

ric wrote:elected to stop reading gardens of the moon. not enough story.
how far did you get?

ric

Post by ric »

@zappy
about half way through

zappy

Post by zappy »

then you almost made it.

darujhistan is where shit really starts to roll in terms of plot.

i definitely picked up and put down through most of the first half of the first book. probably took a month or two.

second half was a two day kind of thing.

that said, i made it through maybe 8 books without feeling like i had a real handle on the overarching plot.

tomdervan

Post by tomdervan »

just finished "The Ethical Slut"

ric

Post by ric »

@tom
sweet or no?

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Just finished Bill Nye's evolution book, really fantastic. Read the whole thing at the beach over the weekend, couldn't put it down.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Only fiction I've been reading recently has been Greg Egan - Axiomatic - other than that, I've been slogging through a really long cognitive psychology, AI book. It's very interesting if uneven at times but damn does it just go and go - could have definitely used some time in the editing room.

ChewbaccaUncircumcised

Post by ChewbaccaUncircumcised »

Been reading the Witcher books by Andrzej Sapkowski that inspired the video games. Enjoying them a lot.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

ChewbaccaUncircumcised wrote:Been reading the Witcher books by Andrzej Sapkowski that inspired the video games. Enjoying them a lot.
man, i really want to read that. is it typical high fantasy (elves, dwarves) with a polish twist? i haven't played any of the games btw.