Preacher may get AMC treatment?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Tweak Da Leak

Re: Preacher may get AMC treatment?

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Not bad, a lot different than the comics but I actually enjoyed some of the changes, Cassidy is basically ripped from the pages.
UBM CD COMING SOON

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Knew nothing about the comic and loved the 1st episode. Main dude killed it, really liked Tulip too.

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

Tweak Da Leak wrote:Not bad, a lot different than the comics but I actually enjoyed some of the changes, Cassidy is basically ripped from the pages.
yeah cassidy is great so far. definitely different than the comics, but i'm trying to separate the two in my head for the time being. loved the idea of genesis hopping from preacher to preacher looking for a home and making unworthy folks explode lol.

did that plane scene ever happen in the book? like it felt familiar, but at the same time i don't remember it.

drobizhek

Post by drobizhek »

I read the comic a couple years ago and I can't remember a fucking thing from this episode.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Enjoyed this, definitely a promising start. I barely remember the comic beyond the broad strokes, so I can't even tell what's new in this.

Hoping they didn't mess with the basic concept of Genesis though, it seemed more like an alien than a religious thing. He did say Word Of God in a way that might as well have had 'FORESHADOWING' in big letters above him though, so hopefully it's still on track.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

wheels

Post by wheels »

unclebengi wrote:Knew nothing about the comic and loved the 1st episode. Main dude killed it, really liked Tulip too.
This.

I didn't even know Preacher was a thing before the AMC hype started up, I'm really looking forward to 2 weeks from now.

The violence is over the top in the best possible way

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Love this show, don't understand the story or characters all that well yet, but boy is it fun to watch. Chainsaw scene was the shit.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

2nd episode confirmed it, i'm all in. I like that they're not dumping an exposition overload about what's going on, just kinda letting the viewer figure it out along with the characters. IIRC the comic laid it all out upfront because it jumps into the story as it's already ongoing, but doing it slowly builds nice tension.

ppl who don't know the comics at all, wait till you see what that cowboy is about, cause HOLY SHIT did they nail it

chapter thrive

Post by chapter thrive »

fuck was i asleep watching this and game of thrones on sunday?

i didnt notice the cowboy at all.

i was wondering who the duo were that cassidy chopped up and they reappeared the next day. i just burned through the comics again, and i dont recall characters like that.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

The cowboy was a cold open, did you start watching late?
I vaguely remember there being a pair of angels looking for the genesis or something, so I assume that's them and that's why they came right back.

BTW, Jackie Earl Hailey is gonna be the guy that fucks the meat pile right?

chapter thrive

Post by chapter thrive »

yeuh, i think theyre taking a bunch of the one of stories that happen during the later events of the story and implementing them in new timing

i think thats how itll end up being, with the idea of the butcher plant being set up.
tho, i think that this may ruin the idea of the town of salvation, and what i think the metaphor for it is...

i want to read the whole series over again, a lot to digest and think about.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

AMC is 2 for 2 with the graphic novel shows so far. Love the show.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Yeah I have no idea what the fuck is going on, but I am enjoying the hell out of it.

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

considering it was written by an irish dude and theyd a whole issue on the easter rising, wtf @ cassidys accent in this esp considering they got someone irish in to play tulip?

bit of a downer cos I was mad to watch

chapter thrive

Post by chapter thrive »

Every episode gets even more fun

Amazing

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

As much as I'm enjoying this now, if the pace of the overall story doesn't pick up more I can see myself getting bored with this soonish.

Individually, scenes like this week's cold open are fucking amazing. But you get 1-2 of these per episode, while the story crawls along for Jesse to catchup with Superhero 101 concepts like great power/unintended consequences.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

I'm sure we'll find out but, what the hell do the flashbacks of the cowboy have to do with anything?

chapter thrive

Post by chapter thrive »

this series is all about the long play.

its going to amount to essentially looking over your soldier and panicking as the cowboy gets closer.

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

Ramen wrote:I'm sure we'll find out but, what the hell do the flashbacks of the cowboy have to do with anything?

:larry:

don't google it, will probably end up being cooler that way.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

nah I don't want to know, I just can't theorize what dude's story is.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Show gets better every week.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

gotta give them credit, this last episode made a lot of the slow burn worthwhile. Suddenly Tulip and Cassidy have actual character archs and purpose and there's some context and depth for Tulip and Jesse. Jesse's heel turn was dope too. Good shit, hopefully they'll finally do something to reveal the big picture in the next one (7 eps without establishing the central premise of the series is... a long time)

alpha

Post by alpha »

I haven't read the comics but they stated season 2 will start where issue #1 starts. Spoiler if needed, sorry.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

dammmmn this last one was really crazy

wondering if S2 and the roadtrip will be about getting Assface out of Hell... although the setup for the original premise of the comic is pretty linear based on how things ended at the church

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

damn did he let Cassidy burn :sad:

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

So hell is a Western? Sounds pretty cool actually.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Ramen wrote:So hell is a Western? Sounds pretty cool actually.
it was a really neat way to handle this because I doubt they have the budget to actually show hell like we'd want, with demons and lakes of fire and all that

after this clever bit I'm really curious how they're gonna handle next week

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

drizzle wrote:it was a really neat way to handle this because I doubt they have the budget to actually show hell like we'd want, with demons and lakes of fire and all that

feel like that hell is so played out, glad they did something different with it.

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

Ramen wrote:
drizzle wrote:it was a really neat way to handle this because I doubt they have the budget to actually show hell like we'd want, with demons and lakes of fire and all that

feel like that hell is so played out, glad they did something different with it.

gonna go into heavy book spoilers so don't read if you don't wanna know about the cowboy character:
The interesting thing they did with hell in the comic book backstory of the cowboy ("The Saint of Killers") was make him the man that quite literally "froze hell over."

He was a badass in the civil war who had killed like 100s of people IRL when he met his wife and settled down and had a daughter and decided to just live right and good. Long story short, his wife and daughter get sick, he goes to get medicine, gets side tracked by some bad guys, his wife and daughter die cuz he took so long, he goes out pissed the fuck off seeking revenge and ends up getting killed.

He arrived in hell so filled with hatred over the death of his wife and daughter and not being able to get his revenge, that he could feel no pain at all, therefore rendering the hellfire and brimstone useless and essentially turning hell into an ice age.

Satan is understandably pissed when hell freezes over and he's in the middle of a card game with the angel of death. He goes to find out why tf hell has frozen over and discovers the cowboy. he tries all kinds of shit to push the hate out of him and make him feel other pain...ends up whipping him so many times he rips all the flesh off his back, leaving him a bloody skeleton from neck to waist pretty much.

Still nothing. So the angel of death understands he's pissed because he never got revenge on the dude that kept him from saving his wife and kid so he's like "you want revenge? cool, i'm sick of my job, you should take it so i can retire." so they make him some colt 45s out of the angel of death's sword, and he's told that any bullet fired out of those guns will NEVER miss their target. then he's sent back up to earth to not only get his revenge, but then work for god as the angel of death...now known as "The Saint of Killers."

he's super good at his job, like probably too good (he kills satan on his way out of hell) and God and other angels decide "this fool is too dangerous, let's put him to sleep until we need him for something." Then when Genesis ends up inside the preacher, it is deemed dangerous as all fuck, and the angels go to wake up The Saint Of Killers to kill the preacher / genesis.
(that was shortening his backstory quite a bit and it was off memory so i might have fucked some shit up) sooooooo....even though the vision of hell in the book is pretty standard, and satan looks like what satan generally looks like...i still hope they touch on all that in the series because the cowboy fella is one of my fave characters of all time and his backstory is fucking dope.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

damn that sounds dope as fuck, thanks Tui.