Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, Gosling & Ford)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Spartan

Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, Gosling & Ford)

Post by Spartan »

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, Gosling & Ford)

Post by drizzle »

Doesn't look immediately horrible so that's good start. Still very wary of them having Old Deckard in this but I'm curious enough to see where they go with it.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

please be good

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

yeah, dont fuck this up. just dont even remotely mess it up in the slightest. this better be...GOOD!

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Well they got the look right at least.
I feel pretty good about this with Villenueve at the helm and the same writer as the original.
Blade Runner is one of the all-time great examples of world building, but the threads holding it together are pretty loose and vague, so there should be plenty of room to explore new stories without feeling exploitative of the original.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

kinda hokey. jared leto's character could be cool in the movie if they edit him right.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

zombie

Post by zombie »

those short films are keeping me from going insane. I have been waiting a long time for this movie to come out.

Im going to try to stop reading/into anything else though because I dont want anymore of this spoiled for me.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:kinda hokey. jared leto's character could be cool in the movie if they edit him right.

yea it felt more like a Matrix sequel for some reason. but it was pretty gorgeous to look at and this wasn't Villeanueve directing so whatever

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

yeah i have faith in villeneuve. + it looks like leto's got the character down.
1. Nas
2. Drake

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

i liked it better when it was

1. Nas
2. Drake

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

an animated prequel short directed by the guy who did Cowboy Bebop, been waiting for this and strongly wondering if this guy doing an animated feature would've been a better way to go than a live action sequel

http://www.crunchyroll.com/blade-runner ... 022-748417" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Not reading them but the early reviews are extremely positive.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

drizzle wrote:an animated prequel short directed by the guy who did Cowboy Bebop, been waiting for this and strongly wondering if this guy doing an animated feature would've been a better way to go than a live action sequel

http://www.crunchyroll.com/blade-runner ... 022-748417" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
this is gorgeous but the story they're creating for the world of the sequel via these shorts feels kinda dumb and strained

we'll see what Vill-nasty does with it, fingers crossed.

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

yeah not feeling any of the shorts

flylo killed that soundtrack tho

CheezPizza

Post by CheezPizza »

AWAE wrote:flylo killed that soundtrack tho
Rule number one: Keep your fazers on stun

zombie

Post by zombie »

shorts were ok, but 15 min is not enough time to complete anything plotwise, especially for blade runner stories.

I really enjoyed the setup of the anime, the history of the war between replicants and humans and all that.

and bautistas character seems interesting.

so does letos character.

zombie

Post by zombie »

honestly the only thing that could ruin this movie is harrison ford. hopefully he plays a very small partof this film and they kill him off quick so we dont hear form him again and this movie will be GOAT

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

This sounds like exactly what I was worried about after the shorts. Pretty but over-plotted in a dumb generic way that misses the point of the original. The review below nails it, Blade Runner is great because of what it doesn't explain.

https://www.villagevoice.com/2017/09/29 ... ner-magic/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Film is pretty incredible, 20 minutes too long, missing the memorable dialogue, or a character on the level of Batty, but all in all a satisfying sequel given the expectations.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

visually beautiful for sure. thought Hans killed the score also. story was the 'weakest' part imo, wasn't terrible but also didn't add too much either.

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

I think the positive aspects of the film greatly outweigh it's shortcomings in the narrative. The aesthetic and music execution was immaculate. Do agree it could have been about 20 minutes shorter tho. Def want to see again. Seeing in Dolby is a must for this one too.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

A really good looking movie that manages to add some cool new visuals to the world of the original but that's about it. It tries to do a lot and does manage some cool bits here and there, but doesn't really have much new to bring to the table. So ultimately it just rehashes the themes of the original from a slightly different pov, in big MESSAGE letters.

IDK what the hell you guys are talking about with the music, the score was like a bunch of orchestral versions of the Inception noise. Like the movie itself, it just beats you over the head with what it's trying to put across with no subtlety.

I'm not mad at it overall though, it was a good theater experience and I think the creators really tried to respect and do justice to the original. But the potential of what they could do here is inherently limited, it's too referential as a pastiche and not innovative enough to really improve or re-frame anything.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

yeah sequels suck. shoulda let james cameron handle this.
1. Nas
2. Drake

ric

Post by ric »

Shit was dope. Story was dope. Acting was dope.

There's no downside here. There's not living up to some ideal potential but how far can that bar be hoisted and still feel like we've been screwed? There's no screwology here imo.
The aesthetic and music execution was immaculate
Exactly. Fucking amazing combination of visuals and audio. Even the pitching of the voices is essentially perfect. Or maybe the soundtrack ambient sounds etc just complements what's going on there

Cool futurisms too. And for the most part when you experience them they feel fantastic.

Seems like Ridley has passed the baton to the right director here.

ric

Post by ric »

@drizzle
IDK what the hell you guys are talking about with the music, the score was like a bunch of orchestral versions of the Inception noise. Like the movie itself, it just beats you over the head with what it's trying to put across with no subtlety.
Firstly the sounds and the combination of sounds make a great soundscape/tunnel and mesh really well with not only the visual and sounds of the world but the way the actors speak which is dope and rare

Secondly the music really helped draw me and keep me sucked in to that feeling. The first thing I thought of that kind of wormed its way out into my consciousness during the movie was like ghost in the shell but better lush colors simple but very well chosen/crafted sounds that set this mood underneath what's going on on screen. To me really enhances the tension because you can cue off the visuals cue off the story and cue off the music and it can line up or not and it still manages to satisfy and almost really just constantly brings with it all the implicit parts of the world just like good writing does. Maybe a good analogy to make (although I think it is superior) is The Hours score by Philip glass. And they're both rooted in subtle shifts in repetition and droning

Did you like El ps album I'll sleep when you're dead? Think about it like that just waaaayyy more drawn out and with a tighter more unified sense of orchestration

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

the sound design was fine, but Zimmer took Vangelis' brilliant og score and railroaded it with bombast that felt out of place to me in a movie that's mostly about personal alienation. It's pretty fitting that you mention El-P because the score does have moments where it gets abrasive and choppy in interesting ways that parallel the oppressive world on screen, and they're definitely similar to what El does. But there were also several places where the score felt overpowering and took me out of the movie and ultimately the best parts were the ones that paralleled the original.

ric

Post by ric »

Id have to watch it all again at this point but I hear what you're saying. I just loved the shit out of it. Didn't lose focus for me. Didn't realize it was Zimmer. Makes sense though <3 ridley

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

the score sounds similar to what villeneuve always does to me, esp sicario.

i like the story, it's the main value added over the original. gives a lot more context and ties into the original without being clunky.

my fav line: "i'm the best one!"
1. Nas
2. Drake