Total votes: 36

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Labcabincalifornia vs. 93 Til Infinity

Post by Philaflava »

fatboybrandon

Re: Labcabincalifornia vs. 93 Til Infinity

Post by fatboybrandon »

I remember playing 93 Til much more than Labcabin. One of the factors that made it more of a go-to for me aside from the music was the other elements surrounding the album: their KCR freestyles, that breakthrough period of Hiero as a whole, the b-sides, that time of Hip Hop in general. Those were some very talented and intellectual teenagers!
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Labcab for me but I'd be mildly surprised if the Hiero one didnt win this
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

93 til by a large margin.
I like labcabin but it was a pretty big drop off from Bizarre ride.

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

Nine tray all day

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

Labcabincalifornia no doubt for me... but it's a perfect matchup... I think whichever one you ended up playing more will get the vote but neither is "better" than the other...
Bury me with the Sergio Tacchini on

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

labcabincalifornia is basically the start of when I started to listen to hip hop on my own and not just the tapes my cousins left at my house. One of my favorite albums of all time.
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

Labcabin dropped at a more memorable time in my life. Those jay dee remixes of she said and runnin' were great as well. 93 til infinity is still crazy dope

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

labcabin for me but also because of space/time i was in when it came out. one of the first rap albums I was able to buy on or near release day

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

Blockhead wrote:93 til by a large margin.
So where do you stand with Bizarre Ride VS 93?

After revisiting both albums, I would say I am more attached to labcabin but the emceeing to this day was so next level on 93 I might have to switch my vote... man this is a good matchup imo... the bass on let 'em know and really throughout is unbelievable

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

I may be in the small minority but, LABCABIN >>> Bizarre Ride

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

this is an easy one for me - labcabin all day...its on the short list of best produced albums of all time

what really puts labcabin on another level is how musical it was....its almost orchestral...the way it was produced makes it sound like loops that are being played by live musicians...its just incredible on a sonic level....jay dee at his very best before he became insufferably boring....also because of the emceeing i thinks it has a higher listenability factor than souls....its sing songy but in the very best way never getting too poppy or cheesy and it has some of the best choruses on any hip hop album ever...and the way each guy rides the beat on songs like groupie therapy and she said is just so butter

souls on the other hand while having outstanding production is more elementary on a straight ahead loop/drums/boom bap sound and i feel like towards the latter part of the record the verses start to run into each other to the point where you cant differentiate btwn the emcees and they at times seem to be doing the same verse over and over....souls were spitting rhymes over a beat they were given (granted really dope rhymes on great beats) but pharcyde was making music

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

gusty wingers wrote:
Blockhead wrote:93 til by a large margin.
So where do you stand with Bizarre Ride VS 93?

Bizarre ride>>>>>93 til and it's aged MUCH better too.

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

clark bent wrote:this is an easy one for me - labcabin all day...its on the short list of best produced albums of all time

what really puts labcabin on another level is how musical it was....its almost orchestral...the way it was produced makes it sound like loops that are being played by live musicians...its just incredible on a sonic level....jay dee at his very best before he became insufferably boring....also because of the emceeing i thinks it has a higher listenability factor than souls....its sing songy but in the very best way never getting too poppy or cheesy and it has some of the best choruses on any hip hop album ever...and the way each guy rides the beat on songs like groupie therapy and she said is just so butter

souls on the other hand while having outstanding production is more elementary on a straight ahead loop/drums/boom bap sound and i feel like towards the latter part of the record the verses start to run into each other to the point where you cant differentiate btwn the emcees and they at times seem to be doing the same verse over and over....souls were spitting rhymes over a beat they were given (granted really dope rhymes on great beats) but pharcyde was making music
I weirdly agree with everything posted here... they're so alike and so different at the same time... they're both so hip hop but in kind of different realms... I can honestly say the first time I heard labcabin I was absolutely blown away because of how fresh it was... and this is years after it's release... while souls has some amazingly funky jazz basses and kind of live band feel to it as well but not as much orchestral like labcabin, more jazzy, etc... this is really a choice I am going back and forth with since the thread was made and I still can't pick one... I think you put it perfectly... souls was emceeing on more of a natural elements type of tip... pharcyde was trying to create a classic piece of music

I Smell Like Un Kasa

Post by I Smell Like Un Kasa »

Labcabin all day bitches.

Also:

No Man's Land >>>> 93 Til Infinity
Prepare yourself now for the six man wedding!