War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Spartan

War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)

Post by Spartan »

Cysed for Caesar.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Re: War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)

Post by drizzle »

oh man Apecalypse Now looks great

i want to revisit the second one, I remember being slightly underwhelmed because my expectations were so high
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Same way about Dawn.

Feels like I'm in bizarro world, since the general opinion is most people enjoyed Dawn way more than Rise.

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

rise >>>>>>>> dawn.

dawn was so run of the mill that my interest has waned for "war." trailer underwhelming as all hell.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

i am super excited for this. dawn >>>>>> rise for me. nearly a perfect movie IMO

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

I really liked both previous movies, but this trailer isn't that exciting.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

woody shaving his head was :naswtf:

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

whooookiiiiid

wish they didn't reveal the traitor gorilla in the trailer

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Can't wait.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

oooh I already hate that goddamn traitorous gorilla so much

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

https://www.villagevoice.com/2017/06/26 ... -in-years/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Voice review is gushing

ric

Post by ric »

wrote this in the daily thread

last night in order
War On the Planet of the Apes 2017
having never seen a single movie of the reboots I saw this because i had the evening off. surprisingly good for what it is. if you're willing to buy some cheese I can see why you guys like these movies so much. so after the movie I went to my local redbox and got the following

Dawn of Planet of the Apes 2014
pretty decent. the animation isn't as good as War of course but it's still pretty good. pretty good story for what it is.

I have to see rise now. I assumed if dawn was redboxable rise would be in there. guess not. some other time.

it's actually fairly compelling. they've reduced the story down to its key elements and then focused on making a good story instead of so many garbage Sci fi movies and reboots like the new mummy. a lot of poor decisions there. but as bleh as some of the acting and moments are in these some of it is actually kinda dope. in dawn Oldman plays a tricky role almost to perfection even though the role itself isnt anything to fawn over he's still got to establish etc a lot of emotion and backstory and set up like seriously the rest of the movie with like a grand total of 10 lines and 10 total seconds of screen time. amazing performance.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Enjoyed this way more than the last one. War actually did a nice job of making me appreciate Dawn a lot more, with the introduction of Caesar's personal demons and Koba's legacy.

Serkis was great, dude deserves some Oscar recognition. CGI department too, for that matter. Crazy how advanced shit has gotten since Rise.

The film's pacing dragged in certain places and I personally would have wanted to see a more violent climax between apes and humans but what we got instead made for a way more poetic final stand between the two. Crazy just how dark this movie went, along with very obvious biblical references and the Trump Wall. This was real Old Testament stuff. The introduction of the Jar Jar ape and his onscreen buffoonery became a welcome relief from all the doom and gloom. I was also hesitant of Woody Harrelson in Col. Kurtz mode but his monologue to Caesar catered to my nerdy obsession with the PotA films and wound up completely winning me over. The traitorous apes still don't make much sense despite the explanation, but overall, I though the rest of the writing was top notch, especially how it broke from the usual clichés, e.g Preacher and Donkey's character arcs.

Ultimately, I found War was a nice way to bookend Caesar's plight and it completes one of the most fascinating film trilogies I've watched in recent memory. The series is far from perfect, but neckbeardedly appealing to my tastes and a refreshing break from the Hollywood norm.

zombie

Post by zombie »

so are these movies in connection witht he mark walberg planet of the apes movie?

that is the confusing thing about all of this and it keeps throwing me off of these newer ones with james franco and all that

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Nope, they have no connection with Tim Burton's remake.

The new films are essentially re-imagined prequels to the original 1968 film.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

I enjoyed this a lot, great conclusion to the trilogy.

I re-visited Dawn when the trailers for this hit and enjoyed it a lot more, it's actually a really sharp and surprisingly small and focused war movie that tries to give both sides a fair shake and shows conflict as a failure of best intentions against the worst traits of human nature. In contrast, War is bigger and much more broad and works in very blunt good vs evil terms that make it feel more like a generic 'epic'. Noble ape heroes suffer losses at the hands of dastardly human villains and have to weigh revenge against big moral questions, tons of call backs and fan service to the rest of the franchise, the plotting is long winded and the pacing is a little off, etc...

Aside from the pacing stumbles it all works pretty damn well. The characters are all well developed, the comic relief is well placed and actually funny, the action is strong but you don't miss it when the movie decides to forgo a typical shootem-up resolution. Even the more cheeseball stuff lands, since a lot of it banks on themes developed through the previous entries. An ending that plays like something from an old timey Biblical epic is pretty over the top, but it doesn't feel unearned. Cesar is one of the best franchise characters on recent memory, so a grandiose conclusion to his story is satisfying.