What movie did you watch today?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

ric

Re: What movie did you watch today?

Post by ric »

Lady Macbeth (2017)
pretty dece. interesting moods. the most interesting things going on here is playing with the marriage between rationale & mood and the clash between ideals and realities. but i do kind of like her character in the sense that look at what her life essentially is (my reaction is prolly intended at some level tho). the chick basically carries the whole thing. noteworthy performance by the support chick though and the dude is pretty good but i dont feel like theres anything really exceptional about his shit. the writing leaves something to be desired. they leave a little too much space. i feel like it couldve used a little more flesh on these people and i wouldve felt differently but right now there is just a vast openness. a sense of disconnection. nothing else. i feel like a little more balance ought to have been intended.

i spent 6$ to see this movie. and thats about what the experience is worth. see it appreciate it move on.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Zulu (2013) - Cape Town buddycop film with Ghost Dog and Orlando Bloom. Making a post-apartheid Lethal Weapon is a pretty genius idea and the grim tone and tense action was spot-on, but the eleborate conspiracy made the story messy rather than the tightly-knit thriller it would have been otherwise. Still a good film in really interesting location.

Kedi (2016) - Docu about the steetcats of Istanbul. I'm a dog man myself but put this on for the gf and thought it was relatively enjoyable for an animaldocu.

Raw (2016) - Coming-of-age feminist arthouse horror with some truly shocking mindfuck. The ending is a bit of a punchline which was my least favorite part of the film, but other than that this was a solid entry in to the Euro subgenre of gory dramafilms. Some scenes hit just the right note for what people like me want from a film like this. Trouble Every Day and In My Skin are two quite similar films also from France but this tops both of them. I really think more directors should pursue this niche. Hope Ducurnau sticks with it and I love that shes an icequeen-looking blonde in a leatherjacket.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

ric

Post by ric »

dark tower 2017
I haven't read the books. so let's just start with that.
ups and downs. they tried to jam a bunch of shit in here that doesn't work. but the main ideas work fairly well and Idris Elba and McConaughey are dope. Idris Elba is fucking sick in this. he really brings this dude to life. the kid is pretty damn good too for the most part.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

hey hey playas
think i've watched like 40 movies this year, nothing uber exciting
i'd like to watch that jake johnson netflix gambling movie
guardians 2 was whatever, i liked the raccoon far more this time around
deuces!
moved by duck muscles

ric

Post by ric »

Wind River 2017
really dope. very well acted written directed produced and shot. Renner owns this one. I never thought I'd say that outside of marvel movies. this is worth checking out. 100%. not a perfect movie but compelling.

Comedy Quaddafi

Message from the King (2017) - Fabrice du Welz, who usually directs really solid movies (Calvaire, Vinyan, Alleluia), was hired to directs this revengeflick about a Capetonian coming to LA to search for his sister. The look of the film and the score is really good and the guy who will star as Black Panther did a fine job as the lead. I would have liked a bit more action however, if you make a variation of a film we have seen many times before I think you need to make it a bit more fun.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

I Smell Like Un Kasa

Post by I Smell Like Un Kasa »

then I saw this one, both are great

I find it difficult to watch new movies, as a grown man they come off soft and flimsy with no substance. Hollywood seems inept at creating characters that you actually feel invested in and care about. Instead we get a bunch of one-dimensional pissants, suitable for millennials and people addicted to social media. I will stick to films like this:

ZiekeFons

Post by ZiekeFons »

Child 44

Enjoyed this a lot! Good acting from the main characters, (Tom hardy!!) Liked the whole dark vibe the movie has, would've been even better if it had more russian language in it or if all of it was in russian... 8,0-8,5

Made me interested in that whole communism shit.. Any recommondations on other good sovjet-era themed movies??

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Logan Lucky - A heist movie that's all about banter and mostly not very interested in the mechanics of the heist itself, but still feels very close to Ocean's 11. Daniel Craig playing against type may have been my favorite part. Saw somebody call this 'the light side of a Jody Hill project' and that felt very on point, it feels like it takes place in the same world but doesn't sneak in all the devastating insecurity, loneliness and alienation under the laughs. A few parts don't work imo, and there's a bit of that 'i see why they cut this' feeling you get while watching a special edition director's version which re-inserted a bunch of scenes judiciously removed from the theatrical release, but otherwise it's a riot.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

ric

Post by ric »

The only living boy in NY 2017
it doesn't hide its influences and it annoyingly goes from mode to mode occasionally (not seemless in annoying ways) but in general the architecture is nice here.
at risk of potentially ruining your viewing experience: once you finish and start looking back it gets less shiny in terms of thinking about how this all happened.
but the mood is pretty good the dialogue etc despite its transparent attempts to be its influences is nice. the photography is ok. really good in parts questionnable in others. the acting is good and while the story is nice it's not that sweet. but the movies enthusiasm for humanity and art really means a lot to me and bumps this up in my view. for the acting there are some really wonderful moments and they're not cliche it's not what you'd expect and it comes across with freshness and authenticity but not every scene works like this and not every actor is equal here.

bridges obv. Brosnan is great here. the mom is very good. the main is really pretty good. the love interest pretty good the young chick meh. but again inconsistencies abound.

Comedy Quaddafi

Berlin Syndrome (2017) - Aus lady in Berlin meets a guy who traps her in his appartment. It's a decent enough film with some tense moments but I wouldn't go further than that.

A Dark Song (2017) - A bereaved lady hires an occult man to summon a spirit via an extensive ritual. This is a really interesting horrorfilm focusing on the mechanics of the ritual. Would recommend to horrorfans who want to see something different.

Killing Ground (2017) - Aussie outback horror is back with a bang here. This is a tough film with a cool premise and some great scenes, but it falls a bit short of the very best this subgenre has to offer.

Personal Shopper (2017) - Kristen Stewart sulks her way through this ambigouos ghost story. It's a bit of a love-hate deal but I enjoyed it quite a bit and hope Assayas (sp) will make more films of the same kind.

Free Fire (2017) - Wheatley's latest film about a gunsale gone wrong has lots of shooting and some cool scenes but it ultimately bored me a bit.
- MB

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Shin Godzilla - Framing a Godzilla movie as a satire of bureaucratic inefficiency in big governments is a neat idea and they use it to flesh out some really interesting themes of the 'giant monster attacks' premise, but tbh I was getting kinda bored by the end. It could've used a little more pulpiness and carnage in the second half, especially after the absolutely insane scene where Godzilla evolves to shoot the nuclear rays. Might be the first movie in the franchise since the original entry that works on the merits of plot as much if not more than the monster stuff.

zombie

Post by zombie »

mother!

oh boy, what a great movie and then the last half hour was a clusterfuck of bad

ric

Post by ric »

mother! 2017
really liked this. big fan. lets just leave out the writing etc for a minute. lawrence and bardem dominated this shit. like straight up.
i think i understand why people dont like the last bit but i disagree. the whole movie is a big complex metaphor. it works to me. in every sense. and in my opinion its very well setup with everything that happens before it.
theyre calling it horror. is that what a horror movie is supposed to be nowadays? is it about the intensity? to me its just a psychological drama like all the other aronofsky stuffs. i mean the label is irrele mostly but i dont understand the 'horror' tag.

Comedy Quaddafi

The Wave (2015) - Geiranger, Norway, is one of the most beautiful places I have visited. One of the mountains of the fjord is in danger of eroding, however, which would cause a tsunami and destroy the village. This is a disasterfilm built on that premise. It's gloriously epic and everything a film in this genre should be.

Concerning Violence (2014) - Lauryn Hill narrates this docu about colonised Africa and its liberation. Lots of interesting footage was dug up for this one.

Vengeance is Mine (1979) - Is about a Japanese serialkiller and his nihilist, evil ways. The film starts out rather bloody and then shifts to a well-made characterstudy. It's a very decent film.

Franchise horror double-bill

Leatherface (2017) - I support everything Maury and Bustillo does but these two directing a TCM-film probably sounds too good to be true, and the film falls a bit short of those lofty expectations because of the script they were working with mostly. Seen in isolation its a cool hillbilly-horror roadmovie but it seems a bit detached from the TCM-universe and young Leathy didn't convince me. Still way better than a film like this has any right to be with skilled directing and lots of fun scenes.

The Cult of Chucky (2017) - I was tricked in to seeing this by positive reviews which claimed the franchise had abandoned the comedy and recaptured the spirit of the first film. This is only halfway true. Its not a comedy-horror but its not really a good flick either.
- MB

ric

Post by ric »

Made in America 2017
New Tom cruise joint. Pretty sweet. A nice little romp. Nothing really unexpected but I didn't know the history of the contras etc so I guess I learned some shit. Solid movie if you have the time.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Two cannibal movie from this year:

Raw (2017)
Liked this one. Doesn't quite reach the heady heights of when the French New Wave Extreme mini-boom hit its zenith, but this was a valiant attempt regardless. Found myself more disturbed by the debauched goings-on of the film's veterinary students than any long pig munching. The Drake lookalike was unexpectedly the most likeable character in this.

The Bad Bunch (2017)
Mixed feelings over this film. Loved the first half; had a real old school spaghetti western vibe, with minimal dialogue and loads of atmosphere. Once the second half kicked in by introducing Keanu Reeves in his David Korresh inspired role, it got more talkative and shit really started to drag on. The protagonist strangely evolved into a dumb cunt. Bit of a stutter step from Ana Lily Amirpour since A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night was a way more entertaining movie.

Props to IDAL for getting my account back.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

what happened to your account?

ric

Post by ric »

Blade runner 2049 2017
Obv sick movie see thread for my thoughts

The Mountain Between Us 2017
Idris + winslet
A winner but not like in a big way. Slight spoiler to say it's one of those newfangled 'feels like true life' romances that have been popping up. I like a lot of those feelings and so I dig the concept in general a little bit. But then at the same time shit like lives on a knifes edge cause you either get stuff like this or you get Coppolas wife's movie and it can get really ugly really quick. Dug a good bit of this movie hated that
their survival was way too timely 20 different times
Edit a long time later
Soon after I wrote this I realized I didn't actually like it that much. Not a winner. Some good stuff in here but it's not smothered with good stuff and feels wanting as a whole
Last edited by ric on Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Wonder Woman (2017)
As far as comic book movies go this film hardly does anything new, but it's a decent time waster. Patty Jenkins knows when to rein in the obvious gender commentary and social politics of the era and keeps the pace flowing. The supporting cast do a good job in carrying this movie. Gadot is a fairly limited actress, but she does make a lot of effort and I'm glad she got the part. Bit surprised by how cheap some of the CGI composite shots looked in some scenes, considering this is a fairly high profile flick for WB this year.

Alien Covenant (2017)
Hats off to Ridley Scott for delivering a sequel even dumber than Prometheus and consequently pissing off the fan boys by obliterating the mystique of the aliens' origins. Personally, I never gave a flying fuck and was prepared for the worst once the trailers suggested this would be nothing more than a lavish looking sci-fi slasher. With this mind set, I found this fairly entertaining.

Don't Kill It (2017)
Dolph Lundgren goes the Bruce Campbell route in this gory splatter comedy, which owes its existence to past movies in a similar vein like The Hidden and Fallen. Peaks and troughs throughout its run time, but this was a lot of fun.
drizzle wrote:what happened to your account?
Got deactivated for some reason and couldn't log in.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Black Coal, Thin Ice - excellet Chinese neo-noir, goddamn. Like a Jim Thompson novel staged in some desolate industrial province in Northern China, shot in the style of Zodiac. Even does that Thompson thing where the last act transitions from a pulp procedural to a hellish psychological unraveling. Really blew me away.

Lord of Illusions - it's probably been a good 20 years since I saw this, still a lot of fun. Total schlock but it's earnest and straight faced about its own trashiness in a way that modern stuff rarely is, and that's refreshing.

Penitentiary 3 / Street Wars - The og Penitentiary is pretty well known but after seeing these 2 I don't think Fanaka gets anywhere near enough credit in the cult movie community. These two had some of the craziest shit I've ever seen happen in any lowbudget movie, combined with moments of surprisingly interesting direction and social commentary. A director who can write a crack-smoking kung-fu fighting midget and then give him a redemptive story arch, clearly meant to be a riff on the crack epidemic, deserves all the props.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Deep Cover - this is waaaay better than I remembered it, it's a damn strong neo-noir with tons of style (Duke was obviously stanning for Mann very hard here.) Some clunky parts and some very dated parts of course, but this deserves a critical re-appraisal imo.

Limehouse Golem - Pretty cool mix of Victorian-era slasher (somebody involved with this is clearly a big fan of From Hell) and giallo. Good sets, good acting, pretty good story. Nothing groundbreaking but passes the time nicely.

Nightbreed - Never seen this before. Thought it was a mixed bag, lots of cool things happening, great visuals, some smart subtext, but also kinda incoherent and a few scenes in Midian had a cheesy musical feel to them (reminded me of Cats). I watched the director's cut and thought the middle dragged, wondering if maybe I should've went with the original.

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

ric wrote:mother! 2017
really liked this. big fan. lets just leave out the writing etc for a minute. lawrence and bardem dominated this shit. like straight up.
i think i understand why people dont like the last bit but i disagree. the whole movie is a big complex metaphor. it works to me. in every sense. and in my opinion its very well setup with everything that happens before it.
theyre calling it horror. is that what a horror movie is supposed to be nowadays? is it about the intensity? to me its just a psychological drama like all the other aronofsky stuffs. i mean the label is irrele mostly but i dont understand the 'horror' tag.
Saw this last night. Was incredible after letting it sink in for a day.
Ed Harris is man (Adam), Javier Bardem was a sort of God. Man shows up first and eventually (the bathroom scene) out of the rib of Adam with the help of God woman is created. The next day Michelle Pfiefer (Eve) shows up. The kids show up later clearly as Cain and Abel. The house is the Garden of Eden. Eventually the people arrive in hoards and are increasingly more sinful and are destroying the Garden. God keeps stressing the lessons on the importance of forgiveness before eventually the Garden is destroyed similar to the revelations and it starts back at the beginning, God and mother earth.
Definitely NOT horror. A psychological thriller in the same vein of a Lynch movie. Reminded me a lot of Eraserhead at points as I assumed it to be about the fears of being a mother similar to Henry, afraid to be a father. Glad to see a much bigger interpretive piece to be discovered here. Would suggest this to the right kind of movie mind and a must have on blu ray good for multiple watches.
Bury me with the Sergio Tacchini on

ric

Post by ric »

In re mother
Aronofsky referred to it as horror as well as some internet bs though. Which doesn't strike me as being accurate but I think I see what their point is.

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

I mean I can say I'm not one for genres but I personally find it hard to call this movie Horror. Although some horrific things happen it just does not give the movie justice. This is so much more about the psychological aspect, even the room easily represents the tree of knowledge. They are given access to anything in the home except for his study. DO NOT GO IN THE STUDY. Similar to the tree of knowledge Eve corrupts Adam and insists on going in there, eventually Adam joins Eve in the study and they break the crystal. They continuously apologize but to no avail as they have now birthed the original sin. The baby is Jesus and the people are similar to Pontius Pilot and the hoards of people that killed him, and then eat the body of Christ similar to receiving communion, ashes on their foreheads. The herald (his publicist) continuing to spread the word of God yet does not live by the word. All of the people praising and worshiping God yet living in sin and destroying the Garden of Eden. Even to the point of the frog randomly showing up, in the Bible the frog is one of the ten plagues and is a representation of demons. So much other stuff to explore and think about, will definitely be seeing this one again in the theater. Eventually like in the revelations there is hell on earth and we start from the beginning.
Bury me with the Sergio Tacchini on

Comedy Quaddafi

mother! is a horrorfilm. Most of the film plays like a haunted-house horror. Also the main feeling the movie impresses on the viewer is horror. Not sure how much horror-y you want it to be.

It annoys me a bit that whenever there is an intellectually ambitious horrorfilm people want to call it a "psychological thriller". I understand that people don't expect to see something like this if they go to see a horrorfilm, but thats mostly because of the usually generic films in the horror-category which manages to reach mainstream cinemas. People complain that mother! was marketed wrong but that has more to do with what people (wrongly) expect from any movie categorized as horror (man in mask chasing people or ghosts who say 'boo' in dark corridors).
- MB

ric

Post by ric »

@bros
:cheers: good stuff

Loving Vincent 2017
100% painted. Sometimes (maybe all the time) they've clearly had some photography to go off but whatever. Visually it's fucking sick. Music works. Voice acting was OK story was OK. The paint shop keeper was surprisingly good. It just seems totally understood that the real purpose of this film was to film paint in homage to a painter. Which was fucking dope. Would be amazing to see this technique used in a film like kubo where the story is more dramatic. Overall though I really do recommend this for most any occasion

Comedy Quaddafi

The Crucifixion (2017) - Director of modern horror classic Frontiere(s) returns to the genre with this excorcismfilm. Shot in Romania it looks gorgeous but falls short of the standards the director set for himself about 10 years ago.

Jungle (2017) - Harry Potter is lost in the Bolivian jungle. This was an OK survivalfilm based on a true story. Worth watching if you like that type of movies.

Bad Day for the Cut (2017) - A mummy's boy from Northern Ireland is drawn in to revenge and a prostitution-scheme after his mum's head is bashed in with a clock. This film had good characters and some solid action. I didn't even know they made films in NI but its quite decent.

May God Save Us (2017) - A serialkiller who preys on grannies stalk Madrid as we follow two cops, one with an explosive temper and the other a stuttering wreck of a man. The strong characters make this a memorable entry in the genre and there are some very decent suspensescenes too.

The Fury of a Patient Man (2017) - Great setup for this slowpaced Spanish revengefilm where a man involves himself in a circle of people to later exact his justice. Strong acting is on display here.

Blade Runner 2049 (2017) - Liked everything but the story which was a complete mess. Would have liked it better if they worked with the replicant uprising theme which the end hints at. Everything else really worked for me..

Darkland (2017) - As someone who watches a lot of revenge-themed films I'm very glad that this Danish entry is one of the very best from recent years. Danish-Arab dr. has to confront the lowlife environment of his murdered brother and goes in to unstoppable asskicking-mode. Really recommend this for some dark, violent and well-executed revengefun.
- MB

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Atomic Blonde - Not a total waste of time but disappointing overall. This movie was made and sold under the pretext of being non-stop action, but somehow only has 1 proper long action set piece in the entire 2hr running time, with a few more unsatisfying short bursts sprinkled in. The rest is taken up by confusing and largely nonsensical web of double and triple crosses that never really manage to generate any tension or suspense. The creators clearly want to do the John Wick thing where genre tropes are turned into an entire mythology, but it just doesn't work here. Which is a shame because the one proper action scene is really dope and the cast is really good and seem to be enjoying themselves. Could've been something, but they really Lenny-ied when they should've Carl-ed. The Villainess, as ludicrously soap-operatic as it is, was still significantly better imo.

ric

Post by ric »

Thank You For Your Service 2017
Mostly kinda sweet. Just kinda. The realism thing works. Some of the scenes and ideas really worked and generally the movie feels good. Some ideas did not work. Whatever.

What is disappointing is at the end...
They portray this path to 'clarity' that is gotten basically through good decisions moral character story sharing and will power. But ptsd does not give a fuck about any of that. At least they have that scene where they basically admit there's not a lot you can do about it. But then that whole arc with the family just gets lost and it turns from focusing on main dude to focusing on thing itself so shit gets lost in that wash.

Whats more disappointing is that they totally set up the first couple acts of the movie to have gone in a more fully realized and inspiring direction and then the last act just kind of drops a lot of that.
Abdul and Victoria 2017
Eh. Some surprisingly funny parts. Some good photography. Some good music. The end credits music doesn't feel right. Some of this shit is cool some is like man fuck this. At least they didn't do mountain between us or Eleanor coppola