The Horror Movie Thread

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

zombie

Re: The Horror Movie Thread

Post by zombie »

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Always felt Triangle was the horror genre's answer to Groundhog Day, but Blumhouse has a new kid on the block. Trailer starts off your typical generic slasher and seems to get way better by the end.

Happy Death Day (2017)

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Finally Aussie survival horror is back! This is one of my most anticipated films right now.

On VOD the 21st
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

Spartan wrote:Raw has been on my radar for quite a while, but still haven't caught it yet:

Anyone seen it?
yeah its great

super fucked up

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

It is looking very promising.

Comedy Quaddafi

I just realized it's actually happening! Oct 20.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

Seems like a good fit for someone of your intellect/reading level
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

Comedy Quaddafi

This is going to be the best film ever. Just recently I was wondering what Aronofsky is up to.
- MB

Comedy Quaddafi

^ Loved it, as expected. But everyone else at the cinema absolutely hated it, from what I could gather. Some walkouts too. Think many people were anticipating something fairly accesible like Black Swan or The Wrestler and got a von Trier-like fistfuck in the face instead.

It's really a must-go cinema experience if you like weird and intense films.
- MB

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

I thought it was good - not great, though. Kinda fell flat overall, but the acting and cinematography were phenomenal.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Took a while, but there's an English trailer for Paco Plaza's new movie:

Looks fairly predictable and conventional, but knowing Plaza, I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled some big surprises.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Been dead set against a Suspria remake. The teaser has piqued my interest, however:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

yea that looks pretty decent
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Comedy Quaddafi

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/j ... hereditary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bradshaw lists the 25 scariest films according to him. Won't be as controversial as that godawful "post horror"-article someone wrote earlier this year for the G.

Audition is the only J-horror to make the list. Fulci and Argento are in the mix. Get Out is the only terrible choice as far as I can tell. Boo @ no Martyrs or Alien but whatever.

I haven't seen The Funhouse which he reckons is better than TCM, so perhaps I should.

He shoehorned in the new film Heriditary, which he also gives a 5-star review in a seperate article https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/j ... liant-fear" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- MB

Comedy Quaddafi

Speaking of Martyrs I'm really looking forward to see the new Laugier.

- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Staying away from any reviews for Hereditary, really looking forward to catching it when I get the chance.

New Halloween trailer out tomorrow. Wrote it off ages ago, but I'm secretly expecting the trailer to turn me around like the new Suspiria trailer did.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Spartan wrote:Staying away from any reviews for Hereditary, really looking forward to catching it when I get the chance.

New Halloween trailer out tomorrow. Wrote it off ages ago, but I'm secretly expecting the trailer to turn me around like the new Suspiria trailer did.

Hereditary is really, really good.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Hereditary:
it's an absolutely tremendous drama about a family disintegrating after facing unimaginable trauma, and a pretty good supernatural horror thriller, and tbh I could've done with more of the latter even though the family drama part is a better movie and definitely the source of all the praise. But i really appreciate the way went about attempting to combine both of these into a coherent whole, it doesn't feel like pretentious wankery in service of trying elevate the genre. The family drama is a key part of the story that sets up the rest, even if it does feel a little protracted.

Toni Collette is like mindblowingly good, and the rest of the acting isn't far behind. The direction and cinematography are also extremely on point, the latter especially stuck with me.

Going in blind is def the way to go, I only knew the very broad strokes of the plot and that was already enough to figure out where it's all going pretty much from the start. But at the same time I don't think the foreshadowing was particularly subtle, if you're familiar with common horror conventions it should be pretty blatant.

Also worth noting that parts of this are purposefully hilarious

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Hereditary is out tomorrow over here. Booked tickets already.

Another spin-off film from The Conjuring franchise, this time on the demon Valek:

Expecting shit loads of made-for-teens jump scares as evident from the trailer, but the setting and overall vibe has me completely sold.

CarlosDelgothoes

Post by CarlosDelgothoes »

Ill prolly give it a go since Conjuring 2 was alright, although I'd just watched The Enfield Haunting with my wigga Timothy Spall right before it, which didn't do it any favors as it was much better.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

CarlosDelgothoes wrote:Ill prolly give it a go since Conjuring 2 was alright, although I'd just watched The Enfield Haunting with my wigga Timothy Spall right before it, which didn't do it any favors as it was much better.
Well, yeah, but the film's version of Maurice Grosse looked hilariously like Stanley Baxter:

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

drizzle wrote:Hereditary:
it's an absolutely tremendous drama about a family disintegrating after facing unimaginable trauma, and a pretty good supernatural horror thriller, and tbh I could've done with more of the latter even though the family drama part is a better movie and definitely the source of all the praise. But i really appreciate the way went about attempting to combine both of these into a coherent whole, it doesn't feel like pretentious wankery in service of trying elevate the genre. The family drama is a key part of the story that sets up the rest, even if it does feel a little protracted.

Toni Collette is like mindblowingly good, and the rest of the acting isn't far behind. The direction and cinematography are also extremely on point, the latter especially stuck with me.

Going in blind is def the way to go, I only knew the very broad strokes of the plot and that was already enough to figure out where it's all going pretty much from the start. But at the same time I don't think the foreshadowing was particularly subtle, if you're familiar with common horror conventions it should be pretty blatant.

Also worth noting that parts of this are purposefully hilarious
Loved it.

Some parts of the family drama focused on for far longer than I would have liked, where it actually started to get farcical, but it did feel very necessary to the film. Also, I would have liked Byrne's character to have been a little more proactive. Other than that, shit was pretty much on point everywhere else. Collette was on some Oscar winning shit here; her performance was unreal. Kid who looked like Sayid from Lost was also great.

Looking forward to catching this again. I feel like there could be a bunch of subtle details which I might have missed, like info about Annie's father and brother. Certainly demands multiple viewings, regardless.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Spartan wrote:
Some parts of the family drama focused on for far longer than I would have liked, where it actually started to get farcical
Thought the same thing. They stretch Collete's unwinding for so long that Byrn's growing exasperation with her starts to feel like a gag.

And speaking of Byrne, they def should've gave him something more to do. They didn't really fill in his relationship with the family very well. I thought they could've added a bit more about the relationship between the mother and the son in the early build up too, the focus there is mostly on mom and the daughter but when the focus shifts to the son there's not that much foundation laid down for what comes to light. That's a minor beef tho.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Kermode goes overboard and acts disappointed with it:

EDIT - There's a really interesting Q & A about the movie with Ari Aster over on reddit.

https://old.reddit.com/r/movies/comment ... itary_ama/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Comedy Quaddafi

Hereditary was fantastic. Great merge of family drama and horror. That car ride even gave me difficulty breathing. What really impresses me in hindsight is just how many memorable scenes there are throughout, hard to even pick a favorite. Found the first hour to be completely devastating emotionally and ironically it was a bit of a comforting relief as the scary stuff started to unravel.

The family drama stuff makes me think of the Babadook which does something similar with more heavy handed Freudianism and a clear message to convey. Kill List is also relevant in the discussion in more than one way.

The theater crowd of mostly teens were quite uncomfortable which made me enjoy it even more.
- MB

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

One of my favorite film review channels did a Friday the 13th marathon with commentaries for parts 1 through 4. The actor Larry Zerner who played the fat guy with an afro from part 3 steps in as a guest during that commentary.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Part 2 of the marathon/fundraiser, with commentaries for part 5 through 8. Featuring Debbie Voorhees (the naked chick who dies in part 5) and the guy who played Junior (the screaming fool who gets decapitated while riding a motorcycle in part 5).
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Way less nervous over the Suspiria remake than I am with the new Halloween movie.

Swinton is an inspired casting choice as Madame Blanc.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

really hate the muted color palette, it looks like a cold war-era spy thriller. but there was some cool spooky shit in there too