DJ Filthy Rich - 90's Reggae Hip Hop Vol.2 (Mixtape)

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

djfilthyrich

DJ Filthy Rich - 90's Reggae Hip Hop Vol.2 (Mixtape)

Post by djfilthyrich »

For those of you who aren't familiar with the 1st volume, I had an idea to create a series of mixes containing 90’s dancehall reggae artists over 90’s hip hop beats. Everything from popular hits to obscure white label-only remixes, including my own custom blends of 90’s reggae acapellas over hiphop instrumentals from that time period. What began as a casual one-off “best of” type mix, evolved into a multi-volume obsession. I even learned to produce my own party breaks just for this project.

The response from Vol. 1 has been great. It's received over 20,000 streams across all platforms and counting (not including downloads), and received blog coverage from the USA to Germany to Japan. Special shout out to DJ Arems, Deejay Theory & Largeup.com for being the first to spotlight it on their weekly feature 'Mixtape Mondays'.
I had some time over the winter break, and finally managed to finish up Vol. 2 of the series. I tried to keep a lot of elements that people liked from part 1, as well as add some new elements to switch it up a bit. The first 40 mins of this mix starts with an uptempo, early 90's boom-bap feel. The next 50 mins segues into mid-tempo, mid-90's vibes.

I've decided to keep the tracklist under wraps for now. Reason being, I always found it more fun to not know what's next. There was a certain thrill when I heard a dope track, but couldn't identify it. In this age of digital playlists where everything is meticulously labeled, I felt I'd try to bring back some of the mystique of the mixTAPE era. Some of my favourite mixtapes that I bought back in the 90's had no tracklist at all...I had to figure it out for myself. I appreciate those tapes that much more because of it.
For those of you who absolutely MUST have a tracklist, I'll eventually type one up and put it out.....but I'll let this mix marinate with you for a bit. A lot of time, effort, and work went into creating this mix, so I hope my experiment works and you find yourself coming back for multiple listens, instead of skimming through it once and forgetting about it forever.
Feel free to contact me with your feedback....I'd love to know what people think, and I'm open to suggestions for the next volume.

I gotta largeup my old friend Masia One for blessin me with the cover art. The old 90's Reggae party poster style fits the vibe of this mix perfectly.

Check out my Mixcloud page for full-length mixes, and my YouTube and Audiomack/Soundcloud for single blends/remixes.

Social Media:
https://www.facebook.com/DJ-Filthy-Rich ... 909601122/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://twitter.com/djfilthyrich416" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.instagram.com/djfilthyrich/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.mixcloud.com/djfilthyrich1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/user/djfilthyrich1/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://audiomack.com/artist/djfilthyrich" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CHECK OUT THE MIX HERE:
http://djstepone.blogspot.ca/2018/01/dj ... -vol2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Vol.1 can be found here: http://djstepone.blogspot.ca/2016/01/dj ... -vol1.html )
Last edited by djfilthyrich on Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:02 am, edited 5 times in total.

djfilthyrich

Re: DJ Filthy Rich - 90's Reggae Hip Hop Vol.2 (Mixtape)

Post by djfilthyrich »

Teaser #1

General Levy ft Positive K - Champagne Body (DJ Filthy Rich blend)

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

Teaser Track #2

As far as I know, there was never a full dirty version released of 'You Can't Play With My Yo Yo', but I managed to reverse the edits so her verse is now explicit.

Yo Yo x Buju Banton - You Can't Play Wit My Yo Yo (Filthy Rich blend)

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

Teaser Track #3

Thought I'd blend 3 hard verses from 3 different artists to keep in theme with the beat/hook.

Buju Banton, Turbo Belly, Beenie Man - 3 The Hard Way (Filthy Rich blend)

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

Full mixtape is up now on Step One's blog (see link above)

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

Special thanks to Gloss for featuring the mix on the TROY blog!

http://www.thetroyblog.com/2018/02/06/d ... hop-vol-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm just tryin to spread the word, and any help like this is very much appreciated :cheers:

Word on the street is that Take It Personal radio will be doing a special reggae-hiphop themed show, so stay tuned for that....

https://takeitpersonalradio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HeRBaN LyRiX
Location: NoRTH CaCKaLaCK by way of tha O~DouBLe T, CaNaDa baby!!!

Post by HeRBaN LyRiX »

Gon` peep this joint later on this week. Yo Rich you ever here this joint???

I ripped this tune from a radio show cassette from 1995 back in 2011. Heard it only on this radio show, no where else EVER. Dude`s name is Renegade & the song`s titled "Gangsta", believe the guy`s from Montreal...

herban-lyrix.blogspot.ca

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

HeRBaN LyRiX wrote:Gon` peep this joint later on this week. Yo Rich you ever here this joint???

I ripped this tune from a radio show cassette from 1995 back in 2011. Heard it only on this radio show, no where else EVER. Dude`s name is Renegade & the song`s titled "Gangsta", believe the guy`s from Montreal...
Cool man....lemme know what ya think after you get a chance to take a listen.
Naw, I've never heard of that track, or that artist. Google search brings up nothing. Must've been really underground....makes sense that it was from a college radio show. I wonder if they even pressed that track up on vinyl....they might've just played that straight from DAT or something. Good work on the video though.....your pictures were timely! lol
When I saw the mime one, I actually did laugh out loud!

HeRBaN LyRiX

Post by HeRBaN LyRiX »

djfilthyrich wrote:
Cool man....lemme know what ya think after you get a chance to take a listen.
Naw, I've never heard of that track, or that artist. Google search brings up nothing. Must've been really underground....makes sense that it was from a college radio show. I wonder if they even pressed that track up on vinyl....they might've just played that straight from DAT or something. Good work on the video though.....your pictures were timely! lol
When I saw the mime one, I actually did laugh out loud!

LoL.....yeah, I tried to make the pics correspond to the lyrics. Didn`t spend much time on it, but it works. You got a DL link for your mix? I wanna bump it in the ride so I can truly enjoy it to the max...

herban-lyrix.blogspot.ca

HeRBaN LyRiX

Post by HeRBaN LyRiX »

DaMn man, I`m not sure which volume I like more the first or the second because they`re both fiyah! You did a great job on `em dogg, the mixes & blends are wicked nice. Ya mos` definitely kept the vibes going thru-out the mixes. The only thing that I can find to bitch about is that Volume 2 doesn`t fit on a traditional CD.....LoL, but honestly man job well done on both! Let my homie Willz from Long Island hear the first volume & he was straight lovin` every tune, keep doing ya` thing man...

BiG uP!!!
herban-lyrix.blogspot.ca

LONDON

Post by LONDON »

yo filthy, large up for all these 90's reggae/90's hip hop blend mixes, big up my g, those hip hop remixes from the early 90's to mid 90's of big dancehall tunes was my shit back then, that was my shit, jheeze, dun know, i'll definetly check these mixes out, but yo can man download these mixes & if thats cool, how do you go about this on mixcloud & blood, i love the fact your up on uk dancehall/drum & bass legendary artists like general levy & ragga twins, but yo my g, have you got a cdq quality mp3 of general levy's 'goodas girl' from that era which was a big tune out here back then, & the dancehall version, if so could you bless man wit a link my brudda, bless up
"get this money by all means necesssary"

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

HeRBaN LyRiX wrote:DaMn man, I`m not sure which volume I like more the first or the second because they`re both fiyah! You did a great job on `em dogg, the mixes & blends are wicked nice. Ya mos` definitely kept the vibes going thru-out the mixes. The only thing that I can find to bitch about is that Volume 2 doesn`t fit on a traditional CD.....LoL, but honestly man job well done on both! Let my homie Willz from Long Island hear the first volume & he was straight lovin` every tune, keep doing ya` thing man...

BiG uP!!!

Thanks for the feedback Herban.....I put a lot of thought and time into this whole Reggae-Hip Hop series, so I'm glad that ppl are feelin it (My goal was to make these the best 90's Reggae-Hip Hop mixtapes ever recorded, which is why I've taken so long to record them).
I intend on dropping Vol.3 this summer.....

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

LONDON wrote:yo filthy, large up for all these 90's reggae/90's hip hop blend mixes, big up my g, those hip hop remixes from the early 90's to mid 90's of big dancehall tunes was my shit back then, that was my shit, jheeze, dun know, i'll definetly check these mixes out, but yo can man download these mixes & if thats cool, how do you go about this on mixcloud & blood, i love the fact your up on uk dancehall/drum & bass legendary artists like general levy & ragga twins, but yo my g, have you got a cdq quality mp3 of general levy's 'goodas girl' from that era which was a big tune out here back then, & the dancehall version, if so could you bless man wit a link my brudda, bless up
The UK had a lot of great dancehall artists....I'll be including them on future volumes. Unfortunately I don't have that 'Goodas Girl' track you're looking for.
I just sent you a PM to your inbox...

LONDON

Post by LONDON »

^^^^man's been bare busy bro, i couldn't holla at you last week about coppin that music ting, my bad, but man will give you a shout on the pm's once my financial's & schedule is in order my g, bless up, 100
"get this money by all means necesssary"