What movie did you watch today?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Jizzy
O.G. Status

What movie did you watch today?

Post by Jizzy »

Ok since the other topic was fucked up because of some peeps getting personal (thats not the Curb way!) I thought I'd start this up, post which movies you watched and obviously what you thought. Hopefully we'll have some recommendations for other Philaflavians. I'll sticky it and see how popular it is, if it fails I'll change it.

I'll start.

Layer Cake 6/10

Starts off really slick but just gets silly.

Big Lurk

Post by Big Lurk »

Moog 7/10

Documentary about the Moog synthesizer and it's inventor Robert (I think) Moog. Interesting. A bit shapeless but he's an interesting enough guy to carry it. He's simoultaneously extremely sane and quite insane. Worth checking out if it sounds like something you'd be interested in.
soon jesus will come and we will all clap
and to the devil we say brap brap brap

SeaTownBlues

Post by SeaTownBlues »

Dukes of Jessica Simpson (7/10)

bringinoutbangerz
The Homer

Post by bringinoutbangerz »

Bram Stoker's Dracula: 8/10

overdone but genuinely creepy looking

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

Clay Pigeons 6/10

The dialogue was a little weak. The acting is solid except for Garofalo and Georgina Cates, who was horrible. Vince Vaughn's the only thing that made the movie interesting.
Cash Rulz ponders the subjectivity of art:
Cash Rulz wrote:Taste are funny.

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

Noi

Its an Icelandic movie about a troubled kid. really depressing...makes me never want to travel there. very good film though, it paints a great picture of living in the middle of nowhere

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge
Location: Fuck You, Fuck You, You're cool, and fuck you I'm out.

Post by Funk Docta Bombay »

Punch Drunk Love

7.5/10 (actually I hate rating films that way)

My favorite PTA film to date, less excessive then his earlier work and more human in my opinion. It reminded me of a more vulnerable Woody Allen Script with good Godard's mise en scene. I still think PTA's too deriative of his influences to be considered a "great" but this was a good film.

RacquetballGangsta

Post by RacquetballGangsta »

Funk Docta Bombay wrote:Punch Drunk Love

My favorite PTA film to date, less excessive then his earlier work and more human in my opinion. It reminded me of a more vulnerable Woody Allen Script with good Godard's mise en scene. I still think PTA's too deriative of his influences to be considered a "great" but this was a good film.
i love this movie.

def. his best.

the best movie of the 2000s perhaps...def. the best american movie in the decade so far.

whats "mise en scene"? i dont speak french and i was reading this damn cahiers du cinema book and couldnt find any explanation though they constantly referred to it.
twitter.com/deweydimbabwe
www.stonesthrow.com/vex

nett ist der kleine bruder von scheiße

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge

RacquetballGangsta wrote:
Funk Docta Bombay wrote:Punch Drunk Love

i love this movie.

def. his best.

the best movie of the 2000s perhaps...def. the best american movie in the decade so far.

whats "mise en scene"? i dont speak french and i was reading this damn cahiers du cinema book and couldnt find any explanation though they constantly referred to it.
to quote Wikipedia

In film theory, mise en sc

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Kinsey - 7.5/10 I really liked this film. Liam Neeson was excellent, and the script was well written. It's a true story that has quite a bit of importance. Important enough that everyone should either watch the movie or at least read about Kinsey.

About icesickle and I ruining the thread: first off, almost everyone has taken part in ruining a good thread or six; my question is, why not just delete the shitty posts and let the thread continue? Why complain like a bitch and lock it? How about asking the culprits to delete their shitty posts, if need be? Is that too laborious?

Sometimes Icesickle must be reminded how shitty he is. He's capable of being a very good poster, and sometimes he is. I'm simply making him aware.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

bent

Post by bent »

The Red Scare wrote:Noi

Its an Icelandic movie about a troubled kid. really depressing...makes me never want to travel there. very good film though, it paints a great picture of living in the middle of nowhere
:ohsh:

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

bent wrote:

:lol:

Great sig, by the way.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

jul

Post by jul »

a very long engagement

alpha

Post by alpha »

Ghostbusters 2 (7/10)

funny, but not as good as the original. certain parts are forced for laughs and bits are re-done from the first one. overall a good flick to kick back and smoke and relax too.

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

bent wrote:

ahah, no offense dude. Have you seen it? I know it one a bunch of awards in Iceland. If you have, you gotta admit it doesn't paint a very flattering picture of the county.

But shit, doesn't Iceland use thermal energy to power itself? That's pretty cool. And I heard those hot springs ya got are dope.

Jizzy
O.G. Status

Post by Jizzy »

Just got back from The Devil's Rejects 7/10

Cool movie it had a great soundtrack. Also dug Rob Zombie's direction.

Oh yeah and DDP was in it!

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

i just watched Battle of Algiers. excellent, excellent film

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE... 10/10

my all time favorite BOND movie. Ive heard rumors that they are making a video game with the same title. Sean Connery is expected to do the voice...Should be ill!

2root2

Post by 2root2 »

darkwingduck wrote:FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE... 10/10

my all time favorite BOND movie. Ive heard rumors that they are making a video game with the same title. Sean Connery is expected to do the voice...Should be ill!
it's an ea game.

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge

Fudoh the New Generation - Takashi Miike

One of the lesser Miike's I've seen as it falls victim to its own excess. Usually Miike's pacing is pretty good but this one was "shock moment"........................stuff...................."shock moment"..........etc

Its obviously adapted from a comic book but it didn't come together all that well as theres not enough character devellopment outside of Riki Fudoh and the film as a whol does'nt hold together. Considering he later perfected what he was going for here with "Dead or Alive" and "Ichi the Killer", it doesn't really merit the viewing. He has better old material and his new material is consistently above this.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

i watched kung fu hustle yesterday which would be 8/10

really good movie.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

Funk Docta Bombay wrote:he later perfected what he was going for here with "Dead or Alive"
absolutely
I think if youve seen Dead or Alive and havent seen Fudoh, then there's really no need to see Fudoh. Unless youre a Miike completist or just a big fan.

Speaking of Kung Fu Hustle (8.5/10), I just watched an old Stephen Chow movie yesterday called "God of Cookery". Two or three funny things, overall pretty disappointing. EXTREMELY weird in parts.

4, maybe 5/10

He has DEFINITELY got better as he goes along

bent

Post by bent »

The Red Scare wrote:
bent wrote:

ahah, no offense dude. Have you seen it? I know it one a bunch of awards in Iceland. If you have, you gotta admit it doesn't paint a very flattering picture of the county.

But shit, doesn't Iceland use thermal energy to power itself? That's pretty cool. And I heard those hot springs ya got are dope.
I wasn

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

Kung Fu Hustle rules.

The Omega Man - It was aight. Some great shots of desolate and vacant cities. Remember in 28 Days Later when the lead character wakes up and walks around downtown London and nobody is there? Well The Omega Man out does it. And then there's the Charlton Heston's messianic complex. Overall 3/5

Colors - I thought it was great. Duvall is one of the greatest actors ever. And I loved that inbred red-haired kid from Children of the Corn as a gang member. Didn't see that coming. 4.5/5

New Jack City - As a movie, it wasn't that great. But still very important. 4/5

The Road Warrior - Seen it before. Still one of the best action/sci-fi movies ever. And easily the best movie Mel Gibson ever did. 5/5

bringinoutbangerz
The Homer

Post by bringinoutbangerz »

[quote="bent"]
I watched I

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

Imaginary Heroes 6.5/10

Solid acting, the story is a bit all over the place. I expected a bit more humor.
Cash Rulz ponders the subjectivity of art:
Cash Rulz wrote:Taste are funny.

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge

Kung Fu Hustle is the film I've seen the most in theaters this year. Its the ultimate pick-you-up movie for those times when you're pissed off.

Just saw...

Blue Spring - Toshiaki Toyoda (9/10)

I reviewed this film in 2k4 for my Fantasia report and I just saw it again on DVD. I think this is my favorite representation of highschool on film. I was a D- student in an all boys school so I can relate to a lot of the shit that goes on in this film, but I think anyone who's had some unhappy teenage years would be able to as well. Just a really well told story about very true ringing characters. I'm so pissed everytime I see someone lump this in with Battle Royale or shit like that: this is a much better film and its incredibly (and sadly) realistic imo.

right now I got 2 more movies to watch today because they're due tommorow. I dunno if I'm gonna make it. David Lynch's Wild at Heart or Monty Pithon's "Now for something completely different"

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

I was gonna say.... "I thought you already saw that??"

lo and behold, a hell of a long time ago.
I'd give Blue Spring a 9.5 I think. I fucking LOVE it
That was actually gonna be the next movie I upload.
If I ever get Twilight Samurai to work.

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge

Ya, it made a big impression on me last year, that and 9 Souls by the same director. I think I remember thinking 9 Souls was more accomplished direction wise but honestly, I feel real close to the subject matter in Blue Spring.

citizen

Post by citizen »

coach carter, um not bad, not great, basketball shots seemed poorly directed/filmed, not too predicatable...