Sound Lab Presents: The 80s Beat Battle Voting Thread

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

ardamus
O.G. Status

Sound Lab Presents: The 80s Beat Battle Voting Thread

Post by ardamus »

Ok for those who don't know the rules check it:
Each track will be posted in this first post. Critique each track with a short description. Rank the top three tracks afterwards for points. Also, if you want your points to count, critique each track. Even if its with a few words, give that person feedback.

1st = 3 points
2nd = 2 points
3rd = 1 point

If you submitted into this battle, you cannot vote for yourself. We'll let this run for the week and afterwards, the scores will be tallied and declare the winner. With that said, here's the tracks submitted:

The Phat Anorexic
http://www.zshare.net/audio/5607759fc2dc7d/

cornsnake
http://www.zshare.net/audio/57139059062edd/

ardamus
http://www.zshare.net/audio/57139458aeae7d/

deepfriedjello
http://www.zshare.net/audio/56820985d1a3aa/

QWALMS
http://www.zshare.net/audio/56873071f2fffe/

citizen
http://www.zshare.net/audio/56831177a4e0b8/

torch ETB
http://www.zshare.net/audio/57243042aefc69/

Not sure what the next battle will be after this but after the holidays, we'll get it crackin'. But for now, its all about flippin' these 80s tracks.
Last edited by ardamus on Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

CHANCE RANDOM

Re: Sound Lab Presents: The 80s Beat Battle Voting Thread

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

ardamus wrote:If you submitted into this battle, you cannot vote for yourself.
:lol: :lol:

my entry is so much worse than everyone else's tracks. i'll review them tomorrow.

axel foley

Post by axel foley »

definitely some interesting beats here... 2 of them definitely stood out to me.

i'll be back with an in depth review sometime this week.

torchETB

Post by torchETB »

ay yo ard didn't you email me the other day to say you got my beat?
Galvatron78 wrote:I'm that nigga that dont even eat long french fries so that gay shit is out of the question.

deepfriedjellol

Post by deepfriedjellol »

on first listen citizen is the winner
will bake off and re-listen to each

at least with mine you can bust out the carlton dance when the poop gets hokey

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

torchETB wrote:ay yo ard didn't you email me the other day to say you got my beat?
you're right and thats my bad on that. i'm updating the first post with your entry also. sorry about that. i thought i uploaded yours, too.

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

im going to post my top three votes tonight after work, and i turned my one 80s beat into a remix track you can hear on my myspace. im still working on perfecting the other one tho, im having hella trouble tweaking the sample to take out some of what i think are mids. i got no idea what im doing.

citizen

Post by citizen »

whats up with zshare these days, random rock music banners and nsfw women in bikinis and bras?

torch etb-really enjoyed the samples you used here. i wish i was more familiar with all the samples to know if/how you blended these, you created a really nice beat with a lot of fresh elements, drums fit it well, the breakdown is nice, you should def add more stuff post battle and this would really come alive. i really enjoy hearing that bassline that plays in the beginning, at times i wish the track hadnt been as cluttered so i could hear it. overall really great for what we had to work with

citizeN-you just dont get it do you? you make the worst beats of anyone on here, just give up already

qwalms-really nice choice of main loop here, dont recall coming across this one or i probably would have used it. all the sectioms blend together here really well, i think you do a good job in most of the beats i have heard from you. the mood of it changes when the that echoing synth comes in, i probly would have kept it in a minor key type thing, but i think it works either way and it provides a nice b section that is really distinct. a lot of the drums on these beat battle songs are overpowering, maybe its just the 80s feel of it all but i would have gone for more traditional hip hop drums, but again i think it works either way. and changing the drums part way through kept it going well. nice job overall, yours and torch's were definately more easy on the ears then some of the other ones

deepfriedjello-i cant say that i like the style that you pulled off here, but that being said you did it extremely well. this sounds like something you would hear while roller skating. i think the main sections could have stood on their own without the solo beat boxing section, especially after you have the two main sampled sections to go back to the beatbox section. the transition between the sections is very sudden, though they are all individually dope, i think they could be blended if you had more time
i think the sampled ah is totally unnecessary and really takes away from the track though

ardamoose-that hi hat is grating on me. painful. its a nice job of chopping but i think what you put together just wasnt all that intriguing/catchy in the end. i did think the rhythm was good, but thats about all i took away from it, just couldnt get with the melody

cornsnake-good choice of main sample here and the synth and voice you added in there work really nice to break the track up and enhance the main loop well. im thinking you programmed them as melody lines in there. really nice work if thats the cas. but the low synth is not doin it for me, i dont see any need to add it in there. would love to hear the track without it

phat-hmm i have a mixed reaction to this. i kinda see what you are going for and it almost works but just not quite. the vocal sample works well in the beginning when you play pieces of it and it fades out and what not, but at 0;49 or so when you start to program it i think it falls apart, it just sounds like him saying eww eww eww, and at different pitches it really breaks up the mood of the track. there are a lot of layers of sounds here but i think they each need to be tweaked a bit so they fit together better pitch wise a bit more

my top three would be
1. torch
2. cornsnake
3. qwalms

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

phat anorexic - i like the flip of that break. nicely done. sounds like a cross between a video game and a movie soundtrack. not too big crashing cymbals though. they sound like a bit too much being crashed back to back at that one part.

cornsnake - its funky in terms of rhythm. i have problem with the micing though. a bit too much treble and it sounds like its crying for more bass and deep end. shit does make me wish i had a stripper on my lap getting down though.

ardamus - i really should've chose this other track i made instead of this looking back on my decision. i guess i like the swing of this more. dammit, i need to step my game.

deepfriedjello - damn this was so creative. and you're right, that one part makes you want to do the Carlton dance. lol. the beatboxing in the beginning was sick. the random change-ups threw me off but they made me laugh because i envisioned someone dancing to the track and all of a sudden getting confused and feeling like their offbeat.

QWALMS - your drums are usually stronger than this. sounds like that snare way too much in the background. the melody's straight though. made me feel like i was watching the X-files.

citizen - you killed it with that melody. nice flip of the accordion-like sounds. those drums need to come up a whole lot though. throughout this whole beat, it reminded me that i need to watch The Godfather on my days off from work.

torch ETB - its like EL-P meets some random 80s band that was good but never made it. there's nothing really i have a problem with when iot comes to this beat. liked everything about it. good shit.

1st - torch ETB
2nd - cornsnake
3rd - deepfriedjello (for being so damn creative, lol)

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Phatty - Yeah, this is interesting, but there's pieces that I just can't take. A lot of the re-pitched sample work gets grating 'cuz it's used a little too much. But there's a driving force about it that I really like. You just got a little too out-there for me.

Cornsnake - Who is this guy? The beginning of the beat got me very excited. Actually sounds like something that could pass for an '80s song. And I really like the Corey Hart drop a lot. And this vocal re-pitching works very well with the beat. I could definitely hear a New Jack Swing hook over this. Great first performance, man, welcome aboard.

Ardamus - Shit hits very heavily, and the mood of the beat really grew on me. Sort of feels like it couldn't make up its mind, but it works like that. I could do with a little more progression here and there, but that's 'cuz I'm a huge loser who likes dumb, technical shit. I like it.

Deepfriedjello - Man, if that opening snare hit as hard as that kick, those opening bars would sound like a Timbo track. Your sample work confuses the hell out of me 'cuz it doesn't really do a lot for the beat. But from 46 seconds onward, there's something really fresh about it. And it shows that you're making pretty crazy progress.

Qwalms - For all of the talk of a terrible track, this is one of the better takes on the battle. Your drum sequencing is a little too much (from the softer drums to the heavier drums), and there's a couple musical issues to me, but it's creepy as hell. Good shit.

Citizen - Some morose, depressing shit. Oh, my god, 45 seconds onward... oh, my god, man. I didn't listen to the sample pack, but whatever you used to make this is fuckin' gorgeous. Shit sounds like an Ennio Morricone joint. I'm surprised this isn't getting more love right now.

Torch - For me, the intro and the drop are in ridiculous disagreement. The intro prepped me for some epic, epic shit, the sample sounds so beautiful. And then the plodding drop came. But the beat hits overall, it's just the two give pieces give me such different feelings.

1st - Citizen
2nd - Cornsnake
3rd - Qwalms

This battle actually had some surprisingly impressive shit. Good stuff.

I'll make sure to promise to take the crown in the next few of these and then make up some sorry excuse the day before the due dates.

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

I'm abandoning all other plans right now to write and record over Citizen's shit.

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

You guys were about 20 minutes away from getting Hangin' Tough chopped and screwed from me. I started it but couldn't find the motivation to finish after I stopped laughing.

Will listen to these when I get home.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

LameAim wrote:You guys were about 20 minutes away from getting Hangin' Tough chopped and screwed from me. I started it but couldn't find the motivation to finish after I stopped laughing.
:lol: ah man, don't be a quitter!!!

Nacho Vidal

Post by Nacho Vidal »

this is what i came up with.
http://www.zshare.net/audio/57363680064a7e/
"Word is bond, I am the baddest...and all the honeys out there, word is bond, you know my status"

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

torch-the beat was ill, i think the drums woulda have been mad dope if they were a little harder, but i really liked the use of the samples.

citizen- this was pretty cool, i really liked the hook. i dont even know what song you used.

qwalms-i liked the main sample you used, shit was dooooope,i thought that the drums that came in in the middle were a little loud, but that transition was sick. im amazed at how you guys on here and use like all these pieces of shit to make beats, as compared to just chopping one song.

DFJ-this is on some weird shit, but it came in tightly, a real weird beat, sort of like a mix of tracks, haha

ardamaus-your snares are always crazy hard. i like that, which track did you chop up? id def like to hear someone rap on it, could be interesting, actually, i know what song you chopped up, im workin on a beat from that shit too

cornsnake, this shit is wild. that low rumble thing was weird, but the mix of the samples was dope as shit, i really dig this joint

phatanorexic-this joint was tripped out, the cymbal was killing me, but i liked the vocal sample, wanted to hear more, i tried to flow on it, but this sounds like some smoke out space type jam

i made my beat into a remix, i just came home and relined it up tonight to fit a little better:

kingsremix.mp3 - 7.19MB

oh yeah:

1. qwalms
2. cornsnake
3. torch

cornsnake

Post by cornsnake »

man this is kinda fun..!

phat anorexic - great use of space- i feel like im somewhere else when this ones playin. some off changes here and there but luft balloons gets a little mysterious sounding and changes over time-- change is good and so is being taken somewhere.

ardamus - in your face drums (i think someone said somethin about that somewhere) its good when its clappin official. this one wasnt engaging melodically but i loved the sample- bold sample- and liked how sequences altered over time.

deepfried - please email me your kick. culture club kidzzz- again nice colorful sample- rugged official stomp on a pop cut, changes to a tougher 'vocal section' and im into it then what happened?? you flew the coup on boy george -that was booo- bring him back!

again-- this is fun. i feel like simon. wait simon isnt fun.. okay- i feel like judge wapner

qualms - respect the epoch- totally sounds made in the eighties- keepin that feel- thats fresh (wait keepin it eighties is fresh?) anyway good with that- a little outakey embellishment but when it drops in at 1.01 its workin real good for me there..

citizen - whattup don corleone.. although i dont know what samples you were on i think you got the most engaging melody over time. also props for track length- while there are no new kids in there, thats hangin tough over 3 minutes.

torch etb - you got the dirtiest with it. you made outta key work quite roguishly. i wish this was mixed with more thunder though...

smoke break---

okay all critique aside, discounting technique or skill or anything outside of how useful a track is to my life- bottomline for me is which cuts might actually make it into the trunk or get emailed to friend...

1- deepfried even though you bailed on george
2- phat anorexic
3- qualms

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

phatty - dope beat. really feeling the synth hits. the drums could have been a little bit more crisp, and that splash cymbal has to go. or a better/more on-time sequence for it. but i liked the way the voice was stuttered. very good.

cornsnake - shit is live... sounds like a side-scroller video game theme song of some sort. thought the kick could have been a bit more pronounced. the "oh oh oh" was fucking perfect. the "rough" voice drops were, for lack of a better word, kinda rough. i can actually see a capable emcee killing this one.

ardy - another banger. i like this one a lot, and don't see much wrong with it. the chops are great, but i would have liked to see you use more samples in the beat though. drums knock as always.. i don't feel like i should really have to say that. feels as if i like this one more than most on here. good job, ard.

jello - you'se wild, homie. not quite sure what you were going for here, but i liked it. the "ah" sample could have been placed a bit better i thought. the beatboxing was a great touch. you should have backed it up with those close to the edit drums. interesting concept overall.

citizen - a lonely tear dropped from my eye when i heard this one. sounds like a soldier is screaming at the sky whilst clutching his dead comrade, blood spilling everywhere. very cinematic in nature, and i like it. the drums needed to be brought up in the mix, probably compressed or something like that.

qwalms - :larry:

torch - where the fuck are the drums, man? they need to be way more pronounced. this shit was great though, really stellar. the panning of the samples was on point; and when filtered, they meshed well even though they sounded a bit discordant. nice entry.

this one was tough. a lot better entries than i expected.

so yo..

1) citizen
2) ardy
3) cornsnake

citizen

Post by citizen »

lets go you communists, more votes

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Hah, after that second 1st place vote, someone got optimistic! Your beat should definitely be getting more love right now.

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

Captin Planit wrote:Hah, after that second 1st place vote, someone got optimistic! Your beat should definitely be getting more love right now.
bellingham stand up!

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Where the fuck is that?! Are you boys hometown brethren in real life, or is it just a happy accident?

citizen

Post by citizen »

Captin Planit wrote:Where the fuck is that?! Are you boys hometown brethren in real life, or is it just a happy accident?
the city of bellingham is located in northern washington state

"qwalms" and "citizen" both live there but neither know each other

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

Captin Planit wrote:Where the fuck is that?! Are you boys hometown brethren in real life, or is it just a happy accident?
happy accident.

it's in the north by northwest corner of washington state. right near the :ohcanada: border. ryan stiles of the drew carrey show lives here. neat, huh?

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

What the fuck, you guys are both sick as hell, and you live in the same fuckin' town!

And you've both been around the Sound Lab for a little while now! Get it together! Collab on some crazy shit!

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

Captin Planit wrote:What the fuck, you guys are both sick as hell, and you live in the same fuckin' town!

And you've both been around the Sound Lab for a little while now! Get it together! Collab on some crazy shit!
:killacam:

citizen

Post by citizen »

QWALMS wrote:
Captin Planit wrote:What the fuck, you guys are both sick as hell, and you live in the same fuckin' town!

:killacam: :killacam:

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

citizen wrote:
QWALMS wrote:

:killacam: :killacam:
ah c'mon now.....y'all muthafuckas been on this board the whole time and that never came up? :lol:

we must instigate a collabo here.

cornsnake

Post by cornsnake »

yeah, you guys need to tag team. its on when i get prince in here :megaman:

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

God damn, thank goodness for my simple fucking common sense to make this world a generally better place.

And people said I wasn't a role model. Get out of my face with that horse talk.

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

Phat Anorexic - dig this. cool start, didn't expect something sparse to sound this atmospheric. i think i'm losing the plot when the vocal stabs come in. as it stands right now, i think they take away more than they add... maybe if they were quieter and mixed with another synth part. who knows.

cornsnake - all i can think is "a-jingle it baby" for some reason (its a compliment, serious). really like the programming on the hi-hats/shakers. i would have liked to hear some more variation with your kicks, maybe by layering some of the steps with a bigger kick. still, great job.

ardamus - i always expect some thick drums from you, this is no exception. i will say that the clap feels off to me, but that's really my only complaint. sample chop is nice, progression as well. cool shit.

deepfriedjello - well if it isn't the phone tapper... i'm always interested to hear your stuff man, because i never know where you're going to go. this time, i think you've got some mixed results. liked the beginning with the beatbox/clap work, but the section with the karma chameleon sample... if you slowed that down a bit, extended the clap loop through and kept the hats, i think you'd have some real heat there.

qwalms - whooooo thats some shit there. came out hot and kept it moving, can't ask for more than that. no complaints.

citizen - nice and mellow. the delayed melody part is great. kinda wish you did a littlle more with the drums in the second half, but thats a minor annoyance. definitely like it.

torch - yow! more of that hot shit. love the build in the first section. i was waiting for a nice, thick bass line in the next section... what you got there is good but i think if you brought your drums up a bit they would be able to support something heavier, with a bit of swing to offset. sick stuff right here sir, the beginning of something beautiful. keep it up.

I would call this:

1. torch efb
2. qwalms
3. citizen