Wu-Tang Clan reunited as one last night

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Wu-Tang Clan reunited as one last night

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Prior to the release of the Wu-Tang Clan's fifth group album 8 Diagrams, turmoil between perceived leader RZA and various members, namely Raekwon and Ghostface Killah over back royalties, advance money and Wu's ever-changing sound led to rumors that the 15-plus year-old group may be disbanding. Although 8 Diagrams still appears to not have lived up to its hype as the first Clan album in over five years by critics or charts, the presently eight-man outfit reunited on stage for the first time since August 2007 last night at New York's Irving Plaza.

"There is no more beef!" one publicity representative from RZA's camp told HipHopDX during the event. The true effects of that statement will be judged throughout 2008, which is confirmed to see releases from RZA, Method Man, GZA and Raekwon's highly-anticipated Only Built 4 Cuban Linx 2 project which RZA has been said to be highly-involved in, along with heavyweights including Dr. Dre, Erick Sermon and rumored executive producer Busta Rhymes.

With Wu-Tang Clan performing together, there may be grumblings of a summer Hip Hop festival, as was the case last year with Rock The Bells.
:wutang: ord up

the saga continues
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Prediction:

They all kiss and make up. Rae and Ghost make some comments like they wanna do another album because they don't wanna go out like that. RZA agrees. They all decide to record one last album and make up for all their petty differences.

They attempt to make the album, some grumblings begin. They release a single which is dope but not 36 Chambers dope and everybody goes crazy saying the Wu is back. The single is the talk of the internet for weeks until the next one leaks. The album gets pushed back 2-3 months due to promotions and final touches. U-God files a silly lawsuit because he wasn't paid for "Black Shampoo" and Cappadonna does some interview about how being a Cabby ain't all that bad. In the meantime, Method stays hungry and says he's more focused than ever. Ghostface doesn't drop anything but Def Jam releases some "Best of Ghost" album. Raekwon is still fat, moody and still hasn't released OB4CL. Inspectah Deck continues to work with white rappers over wack beats. GZA is somewhere sleeping.

Finally the album comes out and we all decide 8 Diagrams wasn't all that bad.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

Wu-Tang as a group is done, and so are most of the solo artists (Meth and mayyyybe Ghost could still make a good album). They'll never make an album better than 8 Diagrams at this point (and most of y'all hated that...).
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Philaflava wrote:Prediction:

They all kiss and make up. Rae and Ghost make some comments like they wanna do another album because they don't wanna go out like that. RZA agrees. They all decide to record one last album and make up for all their petty differences.

They attempt to make the album, some grumblings begin. They release a single which is dope but not 36 Chambers dope and everybody goes crazy saying the Wu is back. The single is the talk of the internet for weeks until the next one leaks. The album gets pushed back 2-3 months due to promotions and final touches. U-God files a silly lawsuit because he wasn't paid for "Black Shampoo" and Cappadonna does some interview about how being a Cabby ain't all that bad. In the meantime, Method stays hungry and says he's more focused than ever. Ghostface doesn't drop anything but Def Jam releases some "Best of Ghost" album. Raekwon is still fat, moody and still hasn't released OB4CL. Inspectah Deck continues to work with white rappers over wack beats. GZA is somewhere sleeping.

probably not that far from the truth :cookiecookie:

especially the last line.
B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:Wu-Tang as a group is done, and so are most of the solo artists (Meth and mayyyybe Ghost could still make a good album). They'll never make an album better than 8 Diagrams at this point (and most of y'all hated that...).
:larry: :larry: :larry: :killacam: ... :larry:
Last edited by Mindbender Futurama on Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

english bob

Post by english bob »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiAMduUrCHU

one night is better than no night?
good stuff for the people that were there. sucks for everyone else.
this post has been made from the soft wood pulp of sustainable Scandinavian trees.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Mindbender Futurama wrote:

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:Wu-Tang as a group is done, and so are most of the solo artists (Meth and mayyyybe Ghost could still make a good album). They'll never make an album better than 8 Diagrams at this point (and most of y'all hated that...).
beyond your boyish exuberance and eternal optimism, somewhere deep down inside, you know I'm right. Nobody cares about Wu-Tang anymore period. A lot of the younger people don't even know what that is.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:

beyond your boyish exuberance and eternal optimism, somewhere deep down inside, you know I'm right. Nobody cares about Wu-Tang anymore period. A lot of the younger people don't even know what that is.
nobody is "done" in hip hop. NOBODY.
anyone who figures out how to make a fresh song is back.
all :wutang: needs is to make one hype jam and it's on and poppin' agin

and you CAN'T even try to tell me that hip hop itself has no need for lyrics from MCs as wise and intelligent as :wutang:

B. Ware tha Siniq

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:

and you CAN'T even try to tell me that hip hop itself has no need for lyrics from MCs as wise and intelligent as :wutang:
yes, some people in hip hop ARE done. LA Sunshine is a cool dude and works at my job, but he's done. As far as being able to record a viable product, done.

Wu-Tang doesn't have the faintest idea how to make a song that sounds fresh to the hip hop audience of 2008

There are plenty of young intelligent rhyme spitters who have a much better chance of releasing a successful album or building a buzz than Wu-Tang at this point.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

I have a theory that GZA has smoked himself into a mumbling hermit who lives on rooftops ala Ghostdog and plays chess with pigeons, occasionally throwing ninja stars at random pedestrians on the sidewalk below.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:

yes, some people in hip hop ARE done. LA Sunshine is a cool dude and works at my job, but he's done. As far as being able to record a viable product, done.

Wu-Tang doesn't have the faintest idea how to make a song that sounds fresh to the hip hop audience of 2008

There are plenty of young intelligent rhyme spitters who have a much better chance of releasing a successful album or building a buzz than Wu-Tang at this point.
if it's not in your heart or soul to spit a rhyme or make a song worth hearing, then you are done, just as a creative person, period.

but if Ghostface thinks of something witty to say when he's 50, I'm interested in hearing it.

I'm not one of those "forget the past, it's of no use to me anymore" type of cats. I think it's disgusting how hip hop wants to shit on its origins.

big up to Queen Latifah who wouldn't participate on the VH1 Honors show if they called her "old school". She said "i'm an icon, not old school" and I agree with her.

old white rock stars get respect well into their veteran years, whether they are making music or not. hip hop: you must learn.

B. Ware tha Siniq

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote: probably not that far from the truth :cookiecookie:

if it's not in your heart or soul to spit a rhyme or make a song worth hearing, then you are done, just as a creative person, period.

but if Ghostface thinks of something witty to say when he's 50, I'm interested in hearing it.

I'm not one of those "forget the past, it's of no use to me anymore" type of cats. I think it's disgusting how hip hop wants to shit on its origins.

big up to Queen Latifah who wouldn't participate on the VH1 Honors show if they called her "old school". She said "i'm an icon, not old school" and I agree with her.

old white rock stars get respect well into their veteran years, whether they are making music or not. hip hop: you must learn.
You make valid points for a change. But you're talking about a niche audience (of which you and I are probably both apart). I agree that if Ghost still has some hot shit to spit that I'll buy the album when he's 50, but you have to understand that most people don't operate like that or listen to music in that way. They're done in terms of being able to capture the MASSES, and also in terms of being able to capture their brilliance even up to say 2000-2002. But they're done in the same way Dylan and Paul Simon are done. They can put out albums that can appeal to an older aesthetic, but they can't crossover anymore.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

:rofl: :cheers:

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
B. Ware tha Siniq wrote: beyond your boyish exuberance and eternal optimism, somewhere deep down inside, you know I'm right. Nobody cares about Wu-Tang anymore period. A lot of the younger people don't even know what that is.

You make valid points for a change. But you're talking about a niche audience (of which you and I are probably both apart). I agree that if Ghost still has some hot shit to spit that I'll buy the album when he's 50, but you have to understand that most people don't operate like that or listen to music in that way. They're done in terms of being able to capture the MASSES, and also in terms of being able to capture their brilliance even up to say 2000-2002. But they're done in the same way Dylan and Paul Simon are done. They can put out albums that can appeal to an older aesthetic, but they can't crossover anymore.

Wu Tang will never write Superman Dat Hoe therefore they are done, hip hop is dead. as cliche as it sounds.

Ming-Tzu

Post by Ming-Tzu »

Not all eight members were there last night...I had a feeling Method Man might show up but he didnt...I think he was already committed to another tour...and thats why the Wu cancelled their tour and are doing four shows here and there instead...not the best Wu show last night but it was dope, especially when Rza came out...and you could feel the lack of Method Man's presence...the energy, the organization on stage, etc...it was still great though

Rza is going on his own tour as well

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nFDPmjhiaUM

Another video

And if you want to hear Rza perform his verse from protect ya neck acapella, you know where to go (links below)

Thun

Post by Thun »

drizzle wrote:I have a theory that GZA has smoked himself into a mumbling hermit who lives on rooftops ala Ghostdog and plays chess with pigeons, occasionally throwing ninja stars at random pedestrians on the sidewalk below.
So, not a huge shift from where he was initially...

axel foley

Post by axel foley »

Apparently I just found out that they'll be performing in DC this weekend :rockout:

reevolution

Post by reevolution »

axel foley wrote:Apparently I just found out that they'll be performing in DC this weekend :rockout:
rza won't be there, fyi.

Dmista

Post by Dmista »

You could tell Rae was pissed when no one was singin along to knowledge god- I seen him laugh when the mostly white crowd was chantin 'my style increase like black unemployment'. Him and Ghost dipped out pretty quick

I was disappointed

FYBS

Post by FYBS »

I agree that if Ghost still has some hot shit to spit that I'll buy the album when he's 50, but you have to understand that most people don't operate like that or listen to music in that way.
I thought Face was 50.

Smithee
ladies luv kool smithee

Post by Smithee »

:lol: @ drizzle and gloss

B. Ware tha Siniq

LOL @ Mindbender declaring this the second coming of Christ and the people who were actually there saying that the concert sucked.

Snail

Post by Snail »

Wu was here in January.

I knew 2 months ahead of time but slept on getting tickets and the shit sold out

They were suppose to come back next week but that shit was canned.

I live a sad life.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:LOL @ Mindbender declaring this the second coming of Christ and the people who were actually there saying that the concert sucked.
yo cuzz, i'm more about the unity of Black men than i care about how much the crowd is screaming.

i've seen :wutang: in NYC twice. Noo Yawk doesn't give a fuck about anything that's not POPPIN HOT NOW in hip hop, most of the motherfuckers there take EVERYTHING for granted, and think they've seen it all.

i bet the crowd sucked a lot more than the artist's performances.

fuck off me! i got work to do :megaman:

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

i saw wu three times on rock the bells this summer and each time was more disappointing than the next

Ming-Tzu

Post by Ming-Tzu »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:Noo Yawk doesn't give a fuck about anything that's not POPPIN HOT NOW in hip hop, most of the motherfuckers there take EVERYTHING for granted, and think they've seen it all.

I'm gonna have to co-sign on both fronts

You wouldnt believe how many cats sleep on these NYC only shows...I mean, the day before this Wu show, tickets were still available....thats amazing to me...that people wont go to a Wu show just cause Rza and Method Man wasnt there....I would understand if the only performers were U-God and Inspectah Deck or something but really????....I know this aint the 90s and older artists dont release the same quality material or even acquire as many new fans like they used to...but cmon now...unless you got work or a family or money issues or claustraphobia or something serious like that, real hip-hop heads should be at these shows supporting...and I dont see that in NYC for the most part...one of my more disappointing show experiences was when I found out that a Lord Finesse, Grand Puba, DITC, Premo show hosted by Greg Nice December 2007 was NOT sold out the day of....and I doubt the shit sold out at the door....WACK

As for your second comment, the crowd was horrible...being how I always want to be in the front, I always end up standing next to the loudest pre-pubescent kids in the audience...one kid next to me actually had the balls to ask me if I would buy him a drink cause he was underage...and he asked me like 3 times....if I wasnt such a nice guy, I wouldve knocked him the heck out ha

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:LOL @ Mindbender declaring this the second coming of Christ and the people who were actually there saying that the concert sucked.
yo cuzz, i'm more about the unity of Black men than i care about how much the crowd is screaming.

i've seen :wutang: in NYC twice. Noo Yawk doesn't give a fuck about anything that's not POPPIN HOT NOW in hip hop, most of the motherfuckers there take EVERYTHING for granted, and think they've seen it all.

isnt the mcs job to move the crowd and not vice versa?

Ming-Tzu

Post by Ming-Tzu »

ALASKA wrote:i saw wu three times on rock the bells this summer and each time was more disappointing than the next
Ya but I dont think you can truly judge an artist's performance value at a big festival like Rock The Bells...I went to the one on Randalls Island on a Saturday and the whole experience was disappointing to say the least...short sets make for lousy performances

I've seen Wu rock everytime in NYC over the past three years and most of their solo shows too...they really put on a good show...I remember one night, Raekwon was opening up for Mobb Deep...he brought out Gza, Masta Killa and Inspectah Deck to perform with him...it was one of the dopest sets...especially since he wasnt even a headliner and I thought it was just going to be him...he rocked for about an hour doing classics from everywhere...and he was just an opening act...it was AMAZING

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

considering that they were headlining and did almost a 45 minute set i would say that is a great judge of their performance. if they cant bring it as a co headliner of a festival where tickets are almost 100 then fuck them

Ming-Tzu

Post by Ming-Tzu »

ALASKA wrote:

isnt the mcs job to move the crowd and not vice versa?
I would normally agree with this but I've come to realize even if the MCs put alot of energy in to their live performance, the crowd just sucks alot of times...cant explain it...they might be high or drunk or both...not many MCs can move the crowd...and your question assumes all artists even have the material, charisma and stage presence to move the crowd effectively...there only a handful of acts that can do that like KRS, Wu, Nice & Smooth, etc...and sometimes the crowd just sucks to the point where even THESE acts cant get the energy out...I dont know

Ming-Tzu

Post by Ming-Tzu »

ALASKA wrote:considering that they were headlining and did almost a 45 minute set i would say that is a great judge of their performance. if they cant bring it as a co headliner of a festival where tickets are almost 100 then fuck them
Eh to each their own I guess...I agree though...their performance at Rock The Bells was lackluster...but alot of the artist's performances were boring to me that day

I'm just saying, in general, I enjoy alot of "regular" shows than I do a big festival like that...and the Wu is no exception....but thats just me