Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

big difference between nod along and nod off though
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Thun

Post by Thun »

drizzle wrote:big difference between nod along and nod off though
You are always free to opt for the Bojangles/Souljah Boy/MC Hammer tour instead.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Thun wrote:
You are always free to opt for the Bojangles/Souljah Boy/MC Hammer tour instead.
are they touring with a live band?
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Thun

Post by Thun »

HipHoppin wrote:
Thun wrote:
i would guarantee that there is much more fun to be had at a souljah boy concert than a gza solo concert

i bet a live performance of "Gucci Bandana" >>>>>>>>>>>> GZA performing Liquid Swords

yes, it was that bad when i saw it
Cool.

BusinessMan

Post by BusinessMan »

Thun wrote:I dunno. '87-'95 east coast "underground rap" is kind of supposed to be very focused and unembellished. You're kind of supposed to nod along. Fuck scuffing your sneakers trying to shake a leg and fuck the concept of black people shuffling for the enjoyment of pasteoids who tolerate acts like GZA because it gets them closer to seeing their beloved Jurassic 5.
No one is saying that want GZA to jump around like MC Hammer on speed. In fact, I would HATE to see him do that, but he's on the far opposite spectrum. He just gives off a vibe of literally not giving a shit about the entire show.

Basically watching GZA, it seemed to me like he was just doing it because it's his job, not because he enjoys it. He just seems to be going through the same routine hundreds of times, and it shows, big time. he's just going through the motions, with no emotion, whatsoever.

In contrast to Nas' show, which I enjoyed very much, and people seem to think he isn't the greatest performer either. Even though he doesn't do much moving around, nor does he really innovate anything, you can tell he still has a passion for what he's doing, and I can respect/enjoy that.

There's a difference, I'm sure you can see it.
Get Money Bitch!

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

HipHoppin wrote:
Thun wrote:
i would guarantee that there is much more fun to be had at a souljah boy concert than a gza solo concert

i bet a live performance of "Gucci Bandana" >>>>>>>>>>>> GZA performing Liquid Swords

yes, it was that bad when i saw it
the thing is, I've seen both these guys.

Soulja Boy had that auditorium of 1500 people more hyped than almost anything I've ever seen. But this was when the song was hot. He had a tight stage show. But his music sucked ass.

GZA, I've seen when he's both angry and sullen, and happy and inspired. When he's inspired, he's a legend in action, slashing wackness with reckless abandon.

if you choose to stay home instead of going to see GZA, you should just spend the evening practicing how to take a liquid sword to your wrist and slice it until your lifejuice completely leaves you

:wutang: ord life, kid :ghostface:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HustleCrowe

Post by HustleCrowe »

Ive seen Wu Tang live as a group 3 times and Ghostface twice, once being with Raekwon and loved it every time. I don't really remember how GZA sounded BUT that's probably because I was just so amped to see :wutang: that even U God sounded dope to me.

However Im not surprised that GZA would be boring live these days especially since on the majority of his new tracks he sounds like he smoked about 35 blunts and downed a bottle of Nyquil. I can't believe how bored he sounds when he raps now. It seems like he doesn't even want to be doing it anymore.

He's coming here next month and if we're not opening we're at least getting in for free so i'll probably go check it for the hell of it. Maybe i'll be surprised and GZA will tear it down.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

HustleCrowe wrote:Ive seen Wu Tang live as a group 3 times and Ghostface twice, once being with Raekwon and loved it every time. I don't really remember how GZA sounded BUT that's probably because I was just so amped to see :wutang: that even U God sounded dope to me.

However Im not surprised that GZA would be boring live these days especially since on the majority of his new tracks he sounds like he smoked about 35 blunts and downed a bottle of Nyquil. I can't believe how bored he sounds when he raps now. It seems like he doesn't even want to be doing it anymore.

He's coming here next month and if we're not opening we're at least getting in for free so i'll probably go check it for the hell of it. Maybe i'll be surprised and GZA will tear it down.
if the crowd is into it, GZA will get into it. believe me.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thun

Post by Thun »

BusinessMan wrote:
Thun wrote:I dunno. '87-'95 east coast "underground rap" is kind of supposed to be very focused and unembellished. You're kind of supposed to nod along. Fuck scuffing your sneakers trying to shake a leg and fuck the concept of black people shuffling for the enjoyment of pasteoids who tolerate acts like GZA because it gets them closer to seeing their beloved Jurassic 5.
No one is saying that want GZA to jump around like MC Hammer on speed. In fact, I would HATE to see him do that, but he's on the far opposite spectrum. He just gives off a vibe of literally not giving a shit about the entire show.

Basically watching GZA, it seemed to me like he was just doing it because it's his job, not because he enjoys it. He just seems to be going through the same routine hundreds of times, and it shows, big time. he's just going through the motions, with no emotion, whatsoever.

In contrast to Nas' show, which I enjoyed very much, and people seem to think he isn't the greatest performer either. Even though he doesn't do much moving around, nor does he really innovate anything, you can tell he still has a passion for what he's doing, and I can respect/enjoy that.

There's a difference, I'm sure you can see it.
Fuck perceivable differences.

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

I saw Gza with Muggs a few years back at the DMC finals in London and his show was great. I have some video footage that I've been meaning to post up for a moment, so I'll get that sorted ASAP.

When I've seen him as a part of the Wu, he's been kind of subdued, but I always felt that was to be expected.

He played out here in Australia the other year - I didn't go, but everyone I spoke to who did go said it was by and large one of the worst shows they'd ever seen. Apparently Gza got mad drunk, was late on stage and barley performed anything, with little to no enthusiasm.

I guess he's hit and miss.

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

ok, so yea show went down last night. show started at 9pm. Venue surprisingly got packed really fast. two opening acts. They ended at 1030. Me and a friend (some chick) were in the front. After standing there for over an hour, with the stage behind a curtain, and being told they're "having technical difficulties", I finally lifted up the curtain. The damn stage was empty. At this point i'm thinking, this motherfcuker aint even here. I got to the merch table where prodical sunn is selling shitty liquidswords tee's. I tell dude, 'where's your boy?' he says he'll be on in a min. I'm like "this dude aint here yet is he" Prodigal grins pulls out his cell and shows me the txt from gza from 1115 saying he's running late. I'm walk back to my friend in the front. Gza didnt get there till 1230am. Then he comes out and had the nerve to start talking shit about the levels.... someone yelled out "thats because you werent here for soundcheck motherfucer!" hahha. He and prodigal put on a pretty dope show tho. He did stand around with one hand in his pocket and the other on the mic. But the crowd was live for it and it was pretty cool.

i think this is the most i've ever typed in a single post here, i hope i'm not catching the :phila: sickness.
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ming-Tzu

Post by Ming-Tzu »

Gza is pretty boring live...but I've seen him do solo sets a lot of times already...so I am kinda biased...I think some MCs tend not to be as good live as in the studio just because thats not their style....Rakim is boring live too...but we all know he's a beast in the studio when he wants to be...but he's such a smooth character that he's not going to be that entertaining live...Gza is the same way

But if you've never seen him solo before, then the show will be dope...if not for his performance then for nostalgia alone...seeing Liquid Swords performed is dope...as far as guests, all the times I've seen him have been in NYC so I guess more Wu artists show up and perform because of that...Killah Priest and Dreddy seem to be always be there...Masta Killah seems to be there most of the time...I wouldnt expect anyone else really

Peep the videos below of the Liquid Swords shows I took

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=gra ... uid+swords

Thun

Post by Thun »

Live performances, freestyling, crowd participation and DJs are for faggots.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

top 5 shows i've ever been to, and i go to a shit ton

my homie beside me filmed some of the show

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5KbsukhUmmA&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5KbsukhUmmA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TBMeeFZq2bg&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TBMeeFZq2bg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FPGD_LUfByc&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FPGD_LUfByc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

jaao

Post by jaao »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
if the crowd is into it, GZA will get into it. believe me.
true.

we opened for him in ottawa last week. he had something to prove, the show was in this large compound of nightclubs, so the bouncer at the particular door he and his showed up at didn't know who he was. apparently they tried to reason with the guy, but he wasn't letting them in. so by the time he took the stage, he was a little heated. he played a lengthy, hype set. playing a little bit of everything, starting with quite a bit of LS.
he did do quite a bit of leaving words out and putting the mic to the crowd (like someone mentioned) but if you're playing classic jams, who doesn't?
he told the bouncer story, which was really good, so the crowd sort of took to bringing it to this guy as well - with a crazy show. at one point he had someone's G symbol tee shirt in his hand, like "see motherfucker? this is who i am, they're all going crazy for me." he was down in the pit by the end, brought a bunch of dancing girls on stage - which i didn't expect. he put on a good show. the heights made up for the low points.

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

Balzac wrote:top 5 shows i've ever been to, and i go to a shit ton

that's awesome man.

glad to see it was worth going to.

Remo the Great

Post by Remo the Great »

BusinessMan wrote:
kimani wrote:but I think it was his juxtaposition to GZA's calm live persona and delivery that really made Mef's antics phenomenal.
naw, meth is one of the greatest performers in hip hop, period.
Co-Signed. When Wu come to Orlando on tour, Meth outshined them all in terms of stage presence. And when he came solo he was bouncing around the stage like a madman and diving in the crowd for two hours straight. It was fantastic.
GoddyNoMore... You can call me Alex.

The Beat Break - A Blog dedicated to Hip-Hop Producers, their music, and their tools.
Alex Minor Dot Com - New name. Get Used to it.

cenzi

Post by cenzi »

I watched GZA a couple weeks back and it was a great show, but it was 50% due to the crowd. It was nice to hear all my favourite tracks, he ran through all his Wu Tang verses, all his Liquid Swords albums, and even did a set of just his verses off of ODB's shit...

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

HipHoppin wrote:i saw him perform Liquid Swords live in chicago like 3-4 months ago

most boring performance i ever seen in my life... guy just stood on stage w/ one hand on the mic, one hand on his pocket and rapped in a monotone voice

no effort at all... needless to say i walked out early... shit was a waste of my time

ghostface live >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> cappadonna >> gza

unless it was just an off night for him

method man >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. ghostface>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..cappadonna>>gza

HustleCrowe

Post by HustleCrowe »

We opened for GZA this past Friday and I must say that he had very little energy and intensity on stage. It was like he was going through the motions the whole entire time. At the beginning the crowd was into it because he came out doing his classics but when he started to perform joints from Pro Tools and whatever else the crowd seemed to be less interested.

I think the best part of the performance was when he said " I got a brotha named Meth who walks on water but me I walk through water" and performed " Crash Your Crew" in the middle of the crowd.

The rest of the performance was pretty boring though.

It was still an honor to open for him because IMO he's still a legendary MC for Liquid Swords and his Wu Tang group verses.

my " stupid drunk moment of the night" was after the show we were back stage and my boy was standing next to this HOT Spanish chick and I said to my boy " Man GZA just got paid like 10-15 grand to go through the motions" and the girl gives me a weird look, and my boy proceeds to whisper that she is GZA's girl. :lol:

And yo what's up with that dude VAIN who is the opening act for GZA on tour? He is AWFUL. I can't believe he is who they chose to open on the tour. NOONE in the crowd was feeling him, he did not fit in with GZA at all. I guess it goes to show how fucked up the business is right now. If that cat is touring with the likes of GZA we should definetly be on someone's tour bill.

Overall it was a good show though, we tore it down and even though GZA's set was pretty much a snorefest but as a die hard :wutang: fan it was still good to see him perform Liquid Swords.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Opened for him a week ago. He was awful. The crowd's energy was there at the start of the set but all he did was half songs and bitch about the levels.

PTS

Post by PTS »

How embarrassing, I never opened for GZA.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

PTS wrote:How embarrassing, I never opened for GZA.
Being in Switzerland, I'd imagine that Wu Tang members ain't roll thru too often.

Have you opened for Grand Agent?

Perhaps, DJ Vadim?

I heard Busdriver moved there. Look him up.