fuck the bullshit: Lauryn Hill still got it.

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Philaflava wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote:
and Jason, people put Biggie Smalls in their greatest MC category often, and he only has 2 albums, with about 2 more albums of various music.
If you really don't see the difference in Biggie and Lauren then I don't know what to tell you. And this is coming from a person who isn't the biggest Big fan and on many occasions preferred 2Pac's music to his.
everybody's different, man. and those who aren't different will NEVER be a legend.

besides gender, how do you quantify the differences between Rakim and Big Daddy Kane vs. the differences between Lauryn Hill and Biggie?

they all rap with styles they think are amazing. some agree, some don't. that's music.

Lauryn Hill historically kills shit many times on the mic. Timeless unforgettable verses that everyone who says they are a hip hop head should know or at least have heard.

all the best artists go crazy. that's why Jay-Z isn't a TRUE GREAT yet, ha.

peace to Tupac. that motherfucker lost his MIND when he got out of jail. and he had every right to. he DID NOT rape Ayanna Jackson.

motherfuckers forget easy in this hip hop shit.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

Voss wrote:
Philaflava wrote:And uh, she is a fucking woman.
Oh God.

Other than that tho, valid points. Lack of material and singing just as much as rapping hurts her as far as being top 5.

I probably wouldn't put her in my top 10 either, but she's definitely ill.
And although I'm a fan of him, she's a more interesting rapper than G Rap :megaman: :arrow:
i thought the women part was an extremely valid point.
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

remember: along with canadians and white rappers, appreciation for female emcees is not tolerated on the :phila:.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

sex is outta control in rap :lol:

women are not inherently inferior... just different.

you guys think Frida Kahlo is an inferior artist cause she's a woman?

i probably dont want to know, LOL
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Voss

Post by Voss »

Getting this thread back on track...

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

listen to this remix at the end of the track. very few people can make a vibe like this:

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ks6m0KaTo4M&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ks6m0KaTo4M&hl ... 6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Ex-Factor >>>>>>>>>>

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Lauryn Hill has no business being mentioned in the GOAT discussion, seriously.

These rappers are more worthy than her 1 1/2 rap album career.

Big L
Big Pun
Big Daddy Kane
Biggie
Big Mike
Big Noyd

See what I did?

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Philaflava wrote:Lauryn Hill has no business being mentioned in the GOAT discussion, seriously.

These rappers are more worthy than her 1 1/2 rap album career.

Big L
Big Pun
Big Daddy Kane
Biggie
Big Mike
Big Noyd

See what I did?
those last two? you can't even be trying to make a bad joke, LOL.

anyone can argue the rest, and sometimes, I'll agree.

Big L and Big Pun mostly.

Req

Post by Req »

drizzle wrote:Image
picture me rollin bitchez

F.U. MOOLAH

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Req wrote:
drizzle wrote:Image
picture me rollin bitchez

that's not a cell phone, that's a cell phone tower

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Philaflava wrote:Lauryn Hill has no business being mentioned in the GOAT discussion, seriously.
:powers:

I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than fuck. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone.

GhostDog

Post by GhostDog »

She went straight bat-ish crazy.

She was the first great combo emcee/female vocalist.

So much talented wasted. I honestly don't think we'll ever see another Lauryn Hill album. Such a shame.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

GhostDog wrote:Image
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Lauryn Hill is one of dozens of inconsequential rappers who had one fleeting moment of greatness that was never followed up on. She is basically Kid Hood with a vagina and anyone even thinking about considering her for the GOAT discussion should consider suicide. She's not even a top five female rapper.

Thun

Post by Thun »

She's a far more accomplished singer than rapper, that's for certain.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Combo7 wrote:Lauryn Hill is one of dozens of inconsequential rappers who had one fleeting moment of greatness that was never followed up on. She is basically Kid Hood with a vagina and anyone even thinking about considering her for the GOAT discussion should consider suicide. She's not even a top five female rapper.
bwa. ha. HAW.

name 5 female rappers better than Lauryn Hill then.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Combo7 wrote:Lauryn Hill is one of dozens of inconsequential rappers who had one fleeting moment of greatness that was never followed up on. She is basically Kid Hood with a vagina and anyone even thinking about considering her for the GOAT discussion should consider suicide. She's not even a top five female rapper.
bwa. ha. HAW.

There is only one female rapper worth talking about and it is Mc Lyte. All the rest are pretty much garbage. Lauryn Hill has about 1 album worth of rapping material in her career. How can she be considered the best?

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Random Sample wrote:
bwa. ha. HAW.

There is only one female rapper worth talking about and it is Mc Lyte. All the rest are pretty much garbage. Lauryn Hill has about 1 album worth of rapping material in her career. How can she be considered the best?
So if you have a bunch of albums but they wack does that make the person better because they put out more material?

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Cash Rulz wrote:
Random Sample wrote:
bwa. ha. HAW.

So if you have a bunch of albums but they wack does that make the person better because they put out more material?
Putting out one album of average or above average material doesn't make you the greatest of all time.
Last edited by Random Sample on Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Random Sample wrote:
Cash Rulz wrote:
Random Sample wrote:
bwa. ha. HAW.

Putting out one album of average or above average material doesn't make you the greatest of all time.
You didn't answer the question. I'm not asking if she's the greatest of all time. I'm saying do you discount her because her one album is better than someone else's 3 or 4?

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Cash Rulz wrote:
Random Sample wrote:
Cash Rulz wrote:
Random Sample wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote: bwa. ha. HAW.

You didn't answer the question. I'm not asking if she's the greatest of all time. I'm saying do you discount her because her one album is better than someone else's 3 or 4?
That is like saying an athlete should be considered an all time great for having one good season and retiring. I equivalate Lauryn Hill to Bo Jackson. The did pretty well when they were in the game, and if they kept going they had potential to be great. 10 average seasons is a better career than one great one and disappearing forever.

True King

Post by True King »

I never listen to any Fugees shit any more but those Lauryn verses on The Score are probably the best ever by a female mc.

not saying she's the GOAT but probably the most talented. I definitely listened to Foxy the most w/ Kim 2nd.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Kim, Foxy, Lyte, Latifah, Shante, Heather B, Rage, Rah Digga, and Da fucking Brat >>>> Lauryn Hill

step one

Post by step one »

female. one album of significance. shits on 'The Miseducation'.

ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Random Sample wrote:
Cash Rulz wrote:
Random Sample wrote:
Cash Rulz wrote:
Random Sample wrote: There is only one female rapper worth talking about and it is Mc Lyte. All the rest are pretty much garbage. Lauryn Hill has about 1 album worth of rapping material in her career. How can she be considered the best?
That is like saying an athlete should be considered an all time great for having one good season and retiring. I equivalate Lauryn Hill to Bo Jackson. The did pretty well when they were in the game, and if they kept going they had potential to be great. 10 average seasons is a better career than one great one and disappearing forever.
^^ a more reasoned critique. but i see differently.

Biggie Smalls has TWO real albums. how is he considered in the GOAT conversation alongside Nas and Jay-Z and Tupac, who each have at least 6 albums? cause he's a man. that's the only reason.

men who have one great moment are remembered much longer than women who had one great moment, in hip hop and outside of it.
Combo7 wrote:Kim, Foxy, Lyte, Latifah, Shante, Heather B, Rage, Rah Digga, and Da fucking Brat >>>> Lauryn Hill
ha ha ha. yeah, right.

i mean, that's your opinion and that's cool and all, but do you think this is the opinion of the majority? i mean, can 8 million people be wrong that Lauryn made a classic album, that the Brat and Rah Digga even haven't made? (i love Rah Digga, but she lost focus after Busta Rhymes squashed her career)

seems like you are making Lauryn out to be the female Vanilla Ice or something, LOL

most of you guys just have issues with women and female art and don't have equal respect for things. i would venture that many of you think women are inferior in all aspects of life AMIRITE AMIRITE :rofl:

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Big ain't even top 5 in my opinion.
Last edited by Random Sample on Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Random Sample wrote:
Cash Rulz wrote:
Random Sample wrote:
Cash Rulz wrote:
Random Sample wrote: There is only one female rapper worth talking about and it is Mc Lyte. All the rest are pretty much garbage. Lauryn Hill has about 1 album worth of rapping material in her career. How can she be considered the best?
Sports is very different then music, comparing the two isn't the best thing..
Combo7 wrote:Kim, Foxy, Lyte, Latifah, Shante, Heather B, Rage, Rah Digga, and Da fucking Brat >>>> Lauryn Hill
:roll:

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Random Sample wrote:
Cash Rulz wrote:
Random Sample wrote:
Cash Rulz wrote:
No, its not like comparing an athlete. An athlete's level of excellence has distinct and tangible measureables. A musician's measurable's is subjective to each individual's taste. I don't think that's an applicable ananlogy. By your standards Master P is a better rapper than B.I.G. because he put out more albums.

Also, someone's ability to do something is not negated by their own option to not do it. She did not quit rap because she couldn't do it anymore. And again, this is not about whether or not she is GOAT. This is just about whether or not she is a better emcee than say Boss or Roxanee Shante.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Most of the the little rapping there was on her solo album was corny as fuck.