Timlaska's Top Ten-est Albums - Number 1 (New-3/18)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

ALASKA wrote:
Yohan wrote:Pretty original picks in your top 10 so far, have to give you credit for that.
it eventually gets really contrived.
i predict salt n'pepa 'very necessary' in the top 3
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

More like top 1

Hair of the Dog

Post by Hair of the Dog »

Yohan wrote:Pretty original picks in your top 10 so far, have to give you credit for that.
no, no. Making a top 10, isn't about being original its about being real. I'm not saying Alaska isn't being real, I enjoy his arguments for his albums so far, he seems honest.

But someone shouldn't be applauded for making a top 10 with the purpose of picking 10 underrated albums that nobody else will includs in their top 10. There is a reason is why albums like Enter the 36 chambers, illmatic, and midnight marauders are constantly jocked. Its because they're that good.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

I'm not trying to be original just make arguments for albums that I think deserve it. They might not have had the cultural impact and timing that others have but I feel they are better records

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Hair of the Dog wrote:
no, no. Making a top 10, isn't about being original its about being real. I'm not saying Alaska isn't being real, I enjoy his arguments for his albums so far, he seems honest.

But someone shouldn't be applauded for making a top 10 with the purpose of picking 10 underrated albums that nobody else will includs in their top 10. There is a reason is why albums like Enter the 36 chambers, illmatic, and midnight marauders are constantly jocked. Its because they're that good.
Thanks for explaining dunny.

What I ment to say, is that so many faggits don't wanna fall out of line and post a top 10 with just popular choices, regardless of their own tastes. Alaska seems to pick albums he deems worthy instead of following other opinions like you see so often on the internet.

And I disagree with every pick so far. :bork:? Maybe. (Ironman over OB4CL & Liquid Swords? Gang Starr album was a solid pick but would not rank it top 10 and Kanye. Really?) But at least it's good to see someone expressing his opinions without holding back.

How often do you see Breaking Atoms get a top 10 mention? Or Whut? Thee Album? Or Step in the Arena? You get my point. It's refreshing to see.

Tha Town that E OAK LOC

Post by Tha Town that E OAK LOC »

"last great rap album (Kanye Westג€™s Late Registration)"

Whaaaaaaat? Thats a great album? whaaaaat?

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

"Ironman" is my favorite Wu solo too.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

Post by 907 »

Hair of the Dog wrote:

Personally I'd put OB4CL slightly ahead....and really, OB4CL is more of a Raekwon/Ghost collab than it is a Raekwon solo, so I like that. Plus OB4CL has the cohesiveness and meets all the other requirements you mention. Just a matter of personal taste at this point.
I was gonna write this. Thank you for saving me the time. OBCL and Ironman should have been a Ghost/Rae double disc.

:wutang: :wutang: :wutang: :wutang: :wutang: :wutang: :wutang: :wutang:
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Nowadays I prefer Ironman over OB4CL.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Thun wrote:Nowadays I prefer Ironman over OB4CL.
What changed?

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:"Ironman" is my favorite Wu solo too.
...but some days it's Supreme Clientele.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Digs Darklighter

Post by Digs Darklighter »

i stalked shorty no mas for a good 2 years of my backpacker life...im not kidding

cenzi

Post by cenzi »

wow! I am impressed. People don't usually claim this one as their best album, but I gotta agree with you.

I had a chance to interview Dave and I asked him about my all time favorite De La track. As for "3 Days Later" he told me that it meant nothing.

Also, I don't know if it happened to anyone else, but I was forced to stare at the cover for two solid hours before I could even hear it (stuck on a bus) and I kept reading all of these fantastic featured guests: Chip Fu, Busta, Dres, Guru. And then when I got a chance to hear it... nothing... only fuckin Guru doing a damn chorus... That was a fuckin lie.

cenzi

Post by cenzi »

3 Feet High and Rising and De La Soul is Dead, one of which is good and one of which is kind of a cluster fuck.
That description is interchangeable for both albums.

zygmontone

Post by zygmontone »

enjoying these, keep them coming. don't necessarily agree with them, but interesting opinions so word

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

I agree about BMS being their best album, but not even a little love for Grind Date or (less arguably) the AOI records? I feel like De La is one of the few groups that hasn't managed to shit on its legacy with more contemporary inexcusable releases.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

my favorite DLS album and a personal top 5 for me.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Captin Planit wrote:I agree about BMS being their best album, but not even a little love for Grind Date or (less arguably) the AOI records? I feel like De La is one of the few groups that hasn't managed to shit on its legacy with more contemporary inexcusable releases.
not even a little. they didnt embarrass themselves but they bored me to death

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

ALASKA wrote:[Stakes Is High] the worst of the 4 De La albums that matter
:larry:

Thumbs up to the BMS pick and evidence for said pick though.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

The Afronaut wrote:
ALASKA wrote:[Stakes Is High] the worst of the 4 De La albums that matter
:larry:

Thumbs up to the BMS pick and evidence for said pick though.
i dont think its that good of an album. it is the de la album that they started becoming like everyone else. which is a shame for a group as great as de la.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

ALASKA wrote: i dont think its that good of an album. it is the de la album that they started becoming like everyone else. which is a shame for a group as great as de la.
Please define "everyone else" in this context.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

The Afronaut wrote:
ALASKA wrote: i dont think its that good of an album. it is the de la album that they started becoming like everyone else. which is a shame for a group as great as de la.
Please define "everyone else" in this context.
admittedly dumbing their shit down. which they did, if you harken back to the articles and interviews about the album.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

I feel what youre saying, but I see that another way altogther. The "dumbing down" was important. I feel like the success of that album (artistically speaking) showed a different side of De La to those who wrote them off as weirdos who were completely out of touch...and that album was the TRUE end of all that hip-hop hippie talk.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

The Afronaut wrote:I feel what youre saying, but I see that another way altogther. The "dumbing down" was important. I feel like the success of that album (artistically speaking) showed a different side of De La to those who wrote them off as weirdos who were completely out of touch...and that album was the TRUE end of all that hip-hop hippie talk.
i get why people liked it. especially for when it came out. it just did nothing for me, especially when its an entity that was as unique and special as de la. it would be like picasso deciding he was just going to paint fruit in a bowl or peanuts cartoons. (a bit over the top, i know)

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

ALASKA wrote:it would be like picasso deciding he was just going to paint fruit in a bowl or peanuts cartoons. (a bit over the top, i know)
:lol:

I get where youre coming from...

Lemme ask you this though, would you agree that SIH has aged better than the more critically lauded first 3 albums? (BMS gets a pass, but still)

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

The Afronaut wrote:
ALASKA wrote:it would be like picasso deciding he was just going to paint fruit in a bowl or peanuts cartoons. (a bit over the top, i know)
:lol:

I get where youre coming from...

Lemme ask you this though, would you agree that SIH has aged better than the more critically lauded first 3 albums? (BMS gets a pass, but still)
I havent listened to stakes is high in at least 3 or 4 years and I didnt really like it then. It might have, but i dont think i can fairly judge whether it has or not.

I think 3 feet high has aged pretty well. its a bit hokey but it doesnt bother me say the way a das efx album does.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Philaflava wrote:my favorite DLS album

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

Blockhead wrote:
ALASKA wrote:
The Afronaut wrote:
ALASKA wrote:why their is only one outkast album that should be on here.
Haha...crazy talk. Any of those first 3 records could be argued. Hopefully you chose the "right" one.
could be argued but the other two arguments would be wrong. one they were still looking for their sound. the other had some sick moments but wasnt as good as the masterpiece. all three are great but only one is greatest.
I agree with this but if "stankonia" is your choice, i'll be :owens:.
i suppose we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
Agreed. I think the first 3 albums were great, with ATLiens being my personal favorite, but Aquemini is also one of my favorite albums ever..

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »