How far into a career has a rapper made their best album?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

COOLEHMAGAZINE

How far into a career has a rapper made their best album?

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

The key word here is "arguably". I thought of this because, depending on the day of the week, I could be convinced that The Black Album is Jay's best work. It probably isn't but sometimes, it seems like it might be.

Same thing with DOOM and Madvillainy, it's not his best but...you could argue that it is with a reasonable amount of credibility. Or Outkast and Stankonia (I wouldn't agree but it's not insane to suggest). Prodigy & HNIC2?

Funnily enough, you could probably argue Golden Arms with Dopium, but that is kind of like rewarding failure. And I like Percee P but that kind of seems like the same thing.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

tame one, when rappers attack, maybe? if you're not counting artifacts stuff.

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

Not too often does an MC or group make their best album past their first 3. Even more rare is an album after their first three that is agreed by the majority of people to be their best. This is just my opinion, but the first that come to mind are Masta Ace with A Long Hot Summer, The Roots with Things Fall Apart and MF DOOM with Madvillainy. I'm sure there are others, but those stand out.
Last edited by vermillion on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Stankonia for me
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

vermillion wrote:Not too often does an MC or group make their best album past their first 3. Even more rare is an album after their first three that is agreed by the majority of people to be their best. This is just my opinion, but the first that come to mind are Masta Ace with A Long Hot Summer, The Roots with Things Fall Apart and MF DOOM with Madvillainy. I'm sure there are others, but those stand out.
The Roots is a good one. Not a lock but arguable with anyone not from Philadelphia.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

Yeah, I think Masta Ace is the only MC who made their best album that far into their career. 14 years after his debut he released A Long Hot Summer which is my favorite Masta Ace record. Pretty impressive now that I look back at it. He was even on the scene before his debut. He made his debut on record on 1998 on Marley Marl's record..

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

vermillion wrote:Yeah, I think Masta Ace is the only MC who made their best album that far into their career. 14 years after his debut he released A Long Hot Summer which is my favorite Masta Ace record. Pretty impressive now that I look back at it. He was even on the scene before his debut. He made his debut on record on 1998 on Marley Marl's record..
Scarface says 'sup?'

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:
vermillion wrote:Yeah, I think Masta Ace is the only MC who made their best album that far into their career. 14 years after his debut he released A Long Hot Summer which is my favorite Masta Ace record. Pretty impressive now that I look back at it. He was even on the scene before his debut. He made his debut on record on 1998 on Marley Marl's record..
Scarface says :face:

blessingindisguise

Post by blessingindisguise »

Scarface and Masta ace are the only logical answers for a mid-level to commercial lever. You could throw in Raekwon "only built for cuban linx 2" was pretty good but a tier under the original classic. While Snoop dogg"the blue carpet treatment", Ghostface "fishscale", and E-40 "my ghetto report card" while dope as fuck imo can't compare to "Supreme clientile" and "tha hall of game.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

blessingindisguise wrote:Scarface and Masta ace are the only logical answers for a mid-level to commercial lever.
Yup.

Hair of the Dog

Post by Hair of the Dog »

aesop rock - none shall pass

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

Cam'ron - Purple Haze

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

Yeah scarface. but are you guys thinking last of a dying breed, or the fix?
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

The Blueprint is Jay-Z's 5th album.

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

It's garbage to me, but the Carter 3 is Wayne's 6th album.

spitboxer

Post by spitboxer »

I thought Born & Raised is Cormega's best album.

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

spitboxer wrote:I thought Born & Raised is Cormega's best album.
:naswtf:

LadyDeathStrizzy

Post by LadyDeathStrizzy »

^ word wtf
word to yo motha....

Espirando

Post by Espirando »

Escobar305 wrote:Cam'ron - Purple Haze

cenzi

Post by cenzi »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:Yeah scarface. but are you guys thinking last of a dying breed, or the fix?
If Untouchable isn't your favorite Face album, GTFO.

Now ther are lot's of MC's that put in work as part of a group, then years later they put out solo shit, and sound much better. Like KRS, Sadat X, Monch and Busta.

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

QWALMS wrote:tame one, when rappers attack, maybe? if you're not counting artifacts stuff.
if you're not counting artifacts then that would be his first album. intrepid paradox, son.

Verge

Post by Verge »

Quotashun wrote:
spitboxer wrote:I thought Born & Raised is Cormega's best album.
:naswtf:
Not saying I agree, but I think it's a dope album.

Masta Ace: I like Disposable Arts better than Long Hot Summer.
Long Hot Summer had better high's, but awful lows, imo.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pja3qv7FVPQ&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pja3qv7FVPQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
^^Obviously not the real video.

And I'm not from Philly, but I can't see "Illadelph Half Life" not being
considered their dopest album.

Good idea for a thread. I just can't think of any others right now.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

look into my eyes, tell me what you see

KRS's best solo is either boom bap or self titled, and given that the bdp albums were pretty much KRS solos, that's pretty late.

born & raised is a tough call. great production, def the best of all mega's albums. also he doesn't do punch ins on it. not my fav, but... shit i dunno some of the tracks on there are pretty much his best shit. i can definitely respect that opinion

tupac put out his best album relatively late, whether you think it's me against the world, all eyez, or don killuminati.
1. Nas
2. Drake

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

atmos - you can't imagine how much fun we're having.

my favourite atmosphere record anyway...

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

KhillA wrote:
QWALMS wrote:tame one, when rappers attack, maybe? if you're not counting artifacts stuff.
if you're not counting artifacts then that would be his first album. intrepid paradox, son.
:lol:

I meant not counting them toward "his" albums as far as solo. They're still a part of his career to me though.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Verge wrote:
And I'm not from Philly, but I can't see "Illadelph Half Life" not being
considered their dopest album.
i'm with this guy.

'Things Fall Apart' was their highest selling album and it was good, but not as jaw-dropping as 'Illadelph'. And all their new albums are good, but compared to 'Illadelph'... they ain't as as good, straight up. None of them.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CasOne

Post by CasOne »

are you all serious when you list stankonia as outkast's best album?

cenzi

Post by cenzi »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote: tupac put out his best album relatively late, whether you think it's me against the world, all eyez, or don killuminati.
am I alone in saying that Strictly was his best? and I BARELY put that over 2Pacalypse...

RoKnew

Post by RoKnew »

CasOne wrote:are you all serious when you list stankonia as outkast's best album?
i too wonder this. that shit had like 5 good songs tops. compared to the first 3 it's dookie.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

when im listening to strictly i swear its the best
but im more likely to throw on one of his later albums
i know a lot of people say they like 2pacalypse
i guess cause of the political content
but fuck that i wanna hear about the niggaz and bitches
1. Nas
2. Drake