Classic/great album sequels only built, blueprint, etc.

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

blessingindisguise

Classic/great album sequels only built, blueprint, etc.

Post by blessingindisguise »

which sequels of classic albums have u enjoyed the most?

only built for cuban linx 2--i know this is gonna win but i wanna get more discussion on the other 2. a solid update to the very first cuban linx.

blueprint 3--half assed but had it's moments, too euro and electro.

war report 2--coulda been so much better. I woulda had Primo, havoc, salaam remi, or maybe questlove to mix it up.

reflection eternal 2--iono what they were thinking but the hi-tek beats just weren't as warm or dope as the original. i know he's progressed as a producer for g-unit etc. but damn they coulda been doper with more guests.

now we're pretty sure the sequels won't match the originals but which future squels do u think you'll enjoy the most?

busta rhymes e.l.e. 2
snoop doggy doggystyle 2
gza liquid swords 2
az do or die 2
nas the lost tapes 2
lloyd banks hunger for more 2
lil wayne the carter 4
Last edited by blessingindisguise on Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Supreme Clientele 2

Julius Seizure

Post by Julius Seizure »

sequel albums are the lamest shit ever. OBFCLII was dope, but overall this is such a lazy fucking idea.

truthaddict

Post by truthaddict »

I like these:

Raekwon - Only Built For Cuban Linx 2
Method Man & Redman - Blackout 2
Jay-Z - Blueprint 2 (didn't care as much for Blueprint 3)

I'm looking forward to these:

GZA - Liquid Swords 2
Nas - Lost Tapes 2
Del - Deltron 3030 2 (if this ever happens - supposedly the beats have been finished for like 5 years)

Shiftshock

Post by Shiftshock »

^^ deltron's better be dope

imma go with cuban link outta default even though it wasn't that good.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

i actually like blueprint 3, but it's not touching 2 no way. cuban linx 2 was better than anything i expected, it deserves the title anyway.

The ones I'm most excited to hear are carter 4 & doe or die 2. Diff types of sequel though, cause wayne's been doing this shit whereas AZ is bringing back 95 or something. What's wayne's last album called? I even bought it but it was so wack I haven't played it since. That's his rock star detour I guess so I'm excited for him getting back to rap. AZ seems to alternate between serious projects and bullshit projects, with huge disparities in quality between the two groups. You know he won't tarnish the doe or die name so this will be one to check for.

Sequel albums are not lazy. Series like the blueprints or the carters (or the s. carter vol1-3) aren't the same CD over & over, they're series of albums that work together. Throwback sequels like a bunch of these others are rappers responding to what the fans want.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Out of the ones listed I'm looking forward to Lost Tapes 2 the most, but I didn't know Del had a sequel to 3030... hope that's real and dropping.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Shiftshock wrote:^^ deltron's better be dope

If you honestly believe this, you are a faggot.

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

Tical 2000: Judgement Day
Stillmatic

everything else i can go without. BP2 got a couple joints...

step one

Post by step one »

People are aware that for the most part the only thing these 'sequels' have in common with their predecesors is the title?

They can only really work within the realm of a concept album, otherwise its just a collection of songs that the artist has decided to attach the name of the most credible piece of their catalogue to.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

The Afronaut

Re: Classic/great album sequels only built, blueprint, etc.

Post by The Afronaut »

blessingindisguise wrote:snoop doggy doggystyle 2
gza liquid swords 2
These should not happen. Both artists are shitting on their legacy by even attempting this.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Versive wrote:I didn't know Del had a sequel to 3030...hope that's real and dropping.
Deltron Event II is real according to all parties involved (The Automator, Del and Kid Koala), it's been in the works since mid 2006. And it's been announced and moved before, back when it was "basically done", but supposedly it just got completed earlier this year so who knows if / when it'll actually drop.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

TheBigSleep wrote:
Versive wrote:I didn't know Del had a sequel to 3030...hope that's real and dropping.
Deltron Event II is real according to all parties involved (The Automator, Del and Kid Koala), it's been in the works since mid 2006. And it's been announced and moved before, back when it was "basically done", but supposedly it just got completed earlier this year so who knows if / when it'll actually drop.
I can't find it right now but there's vids on youtube of Del completing some of the last few verses he has for the new album coming up.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Shiftshock

Post by Shiftshock »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:

well compared to its Predecessor its extremely lackluster and mostly forgettable. aside from Gihad, New Wu and ason jones. the entire album sounded like a cheap mixtape. :roll:

That deltron is suppose to be based in the future, in which society collasped and chaos is breaking out. Sounds Bout it bout it :cheers: def gonna check it out :owens:

step one

Post by step one »

Shiftshock wrote:
Kid That's Lifeless wrote:

well compared to its Predecessor its extremely lackluster and mostly forgettable. aside from Gihad, New Wu and ason jones. the entire album sounded like a cheap mixtape. :roll:
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Hair of the Dog

Post by Hair of the Dog »

crossing fingers for Madvillain 2

edit: and by that I mean a proper sequel to Madvillainy.....not the remix album that Madlib already put out

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

Hair of the Dog wrote:crossing fingers for Madvillain 2

edit: and by that I mean a proper sequel to Madvillainy.....not the remix album that Madlib already put out
Yeah, who knows how the album will turn out or if it even drops. Papermill was a dope track though. I would have to say OB4CL 2 is probably the best, but I have a feeling I'm forgetting a great album. As for looking forward to a sequel, not really any of them besides Madvillain.

truthaddict

Post by truthaddict »

TheBigSleep wrote:
I saw Kid Koala live back in 05 or 06, and he said the beats were all done, he was finishing up on the scratches, and basically all they were waiting on was Del... again, that was 05 or 06.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Right, Kid Koala finished his portion in May of '06, then Automator finished his beats soon after that, in '08 said it was dropping sometime in the next year or two, then Del had like six songs done, it got delayed and earlier this year, in August he said he was finishing it and more recently announced that it's been fully completed.

And a while back it was scheduled to be released sometime this year but you know how that goes.