Joell Ortiz - Night Train (Video)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Joell Ortiz - Night Train (Video)

Post by Icesickle »

It's hard to pull off the everyday struggle, up-from-the-bottom rap songs without coming off as cliched or corny, especially with a singer on the chorus. This is kind of nice though. Great video too.

<object width="448" height="374"><param name="movie" value="http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/e ... LY"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/e ... HKjFUgBdLY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" width="448" height="374"></embed></object>

Thun

Post by Thun »

Dude is quickly outstaying his welcome. Next...

I.A.

Post by I.A. »

dope

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Good choice for having Novel on this. Slept on vocally.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

HustleCrowe

Post by HustleCrowe »

I.A. wrote:dope

Thun

Post by Thun »

Who is Novel? I thought JuJu joined Mint Condition.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Thun wrote:Who is Novel? I thought JuJu joined Mint Condition.
Figured you would've heard of him because he was damn near the only vocalist that Rawkus signed towards the end of their reign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novel_(musician)

He's kind of in the realm with Lyfe Jennings, Raheem DeVaughn, and etc. But he never got as much shine.

Thun

Post by Thun »

ardamus wrote:
Figured you would've heard of him because he was damn near the only vocalist that Rawkus signed towards the end of their reign.

He's kind of in the realm with Lyfe Jennings, Raheem DeVaughn, and etc. But he never got as much shine.
Actually I think you may have mentioned him before.

stroydnaire

Post by stroydnaire »

Thats right...he did have some shit on Rawkus. That label was the shit in its prime!

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Thun wrote:
ardamus wrote:

Actually I think you may have mentioned him before.
It was probably years ago when I mentioned him.

I didn't realize it but they work together alot. Here's their mixtape they put out earlier this year.

http://www.datpiff.com/Joell_Ortiz_Nove ... 96845.html

Here's two other mixtapes that Novel put out.

Suspended Animation
http://www.datpiff.com/Novel_Suspended_ ... 53862.html

Legato Blues Summer
http://www.datpiff.com/NOVEL_Legato_Blu ... 55102.html

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

This song is straight. Don't understand the hate that Joell Ortiz gets from certain people on this board, but he gets it in on underground and mainstream song attempts.

On don't know if he is signed at the moment, but he is always putting at videos with decent sized budgets.

I believe that Novel sung on that "Call Me" joint too.

Thun

Post by Thun »

I don't think anyone hates Ortiz. He just doesn't seem to follow through on the promise he once had. Maybe he needs to take a break from recording 65 mixtapes a month and grow as a person a little?

Teddy C.D.

Re: Joell Ortiz - Night Train (Video)

Post by Teddy C.D. »

Icesickle wrote:It's hard to pull off the everyday struggle, up-from-the-bottom rap songs without coming off as cliched or corny, especially with a singer on the chorus. This is kind of nice though. Great video too.

<object width="448" height="374"><param name="movie" value="http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/e ... LY"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/e ... HKjFUgBdLY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" width="448" height="374"></embed></object>
:cheers: Agree with everything you said.

Teddy C.D.

Post by Teddy C.D. »

Big Breeze wrote:This song is straight. Don't understand the hate that Joell Ortiz gets from certain people on this board
I don't get the hate and/or the indifference. He's clearly a cream of the crop MC in today's game.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

can't remember who it was but someone kept saying he an annoying voice in every thread about him. never thought Ortiz was bad. he did his thing on the Slaughterhouse album.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

ardamus wrote:can't remember who it was but someone kept saying he an annoying voice in every thread about him. never thought Ortiz was bad. he did his thing on the Slaughterhouse album.
He's the only one worth seeing live outta them too.

Thun

Post by Thun »

ardamus wrote:can't remember who it was but someone kept saying he an annoying voice in every thread about him. never thought Ortiz was bad. he did his thing on the Slaughterhouse album.
His voice cracks a lot lately and he raps over a lot of beats that clash with it.

He also sounds awful on old school beats for some reason.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

thats part of hist style i guess and i don't see the clash. doesn't bother me.

Thun

Post by Thun »

ardamus wrote:thats part of hist style i guess and i don't see the clash. doesn't bother me.
Yeah I guessed that it didn't. That's actually the least of his problems, imo.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

this is beyond garbage

Thun

Post by Thun »

Joell, like the Clipse, Saigon, Joe Budden, and others, is one of those rappers that takes full advantage of the fact that the playing field has been made too equal in our modern age, and thinks that nobody notices. He acts like he's the fucking second coming of Rakim because he can reference Carhartt jackets and use a polysyllabic word every five songs. He's not even the second coming of Big Noyd. Get off it.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Thun wrote:He acts like he's the fucking second coming of Rakim because he can reference Carhartt jackets and use a polysyllabic word every five songs.
Does he though? Or do the people who back him push this image?

I have never seen or heard him acting like anything more than he is, a throwback, traditional NY rapper. He comes across as a real humble dude.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Smitty wrote:
Thun wrote:He acts like he's the fucking second coming of Rakim because he can reference Carhartt jackets and use a polysyllabic word every five songs.

I have never seen or heard him acting like anything more than he is, a throwback, traditional NY rapper. He comes across as a real humble dude.
He's not though. He's a weak facsimile of that era. Not wack, but not worthy of the title, unless you consider that the ones who did earn it no longer make music worth checking out. Listen to him rap over old school beats, he sounds horribly inadequate. That doesn't make him a bad person, but imo it's a dumb marketing strategy.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Thun wrote:Joell, like the Clipse, Saigon, Joe Budden, and others, is one of those rappers that takes full advantage of the fact that the playing field has been made too equal in our modern age, and thinks that nobody notices. He acts like he's the fucking second coming of Rakim because he can reference Carhartt jackets and use a polysyllabic word every five songs. He's not even the second coming of Big Noyd. Get off it.
Yeah, don't see that either. I haven't heard everything he's done but from what I've heard, he just makes some dope shit and thats it. His only downfall from time to time were his hooks. But that was in the early stages of him getting out there; which is good for him to link up with Novel.

Teddy C.D.

Post by Teddy C.D. »

Thun wrote:
Smitty wrote:

He's not though. He's a weak facsimile of that era. Not wack, but not worthy of the title, unless you consider that the ones who did earn it no longer make music worth checking out. Listen to him rap over old school beats, he sounds horribly inadequate. That doesn't make him a bad person, but imo it's a dumb marketing strategy.
Joell Ortiz is a better lyricist and more articulate MC than most rappers today, including his fellow Slaughterhouse members, the punks at the top of the charts, and Lil' B or anyone out of Odd Future. He just makes dope music; he's clearly a good rapper. Him and Saigon should have had at least a few albums under their belts now... Too many mixtapes, although there is good material to be found in them.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Oh, ok, I'm glad you cleared that up. Got it, he's just better.

Teddy C.D.

Post by Teddy C.D. »

Thas gude. I'm glad too.

Teddy C.D.

Post by Teddy C.D. »

What do people think of Crooked I, btw?

Thun

Post by Thun »

Teddy C.D. wrote:What do people think of Crooked I, btw?
These guys are kind of all in the same league so it really just depends on your view of that league, imo.

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

This track is better than the video, produced by Large Professor. Not as good as Project Boy, but still dope. Hook ain't good on this one though..

http://usershare.net/2DopeBoyz/748ipi660vyj