The Roots!! What's your favorite album?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

ripweblo
pork

Post by ripweblo »

Large Marvin wrote:Not one album I can think that i didnt like..... I might like The Tipping Point the most to be honest...
:cheers: star, stay cool, web, dont stay nuthin, guns are drawn, why? boom, in love w/ the mic, love this album, short and sweet

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

ripweblo wrote:in love w/ the mic
Ive always wished this was a proper track on that album and not between a proper track and another bonus track. One of my faves from Tipping Point.

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

hard to say. def one of my favorite groups. i love DYWM for its playfulness its my favon many days i guess, things... is very cohesive and tipping point and the next two are fuckin raw.

jvg

Post by jvg »

Illadelph Halflife

stroydnaire

Post by stroydnaire »

Things Fall Apart.....Phrenology was dope too!

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

game theory.

Illadelph Halflife is outdated

starks

Post by starks »

game theory

atonement
clock with no hands
don't feel right
here i come
all in the music

Dragondude R

Post by Dragondude R »

things fall apart

indianaJ0nes

Re: The Roots!! What's your favorite album?

Post by indianaJ0nes »

mikeymcee wrote:Whatג€™s your favorite album of theirs?

Mine is def Things Fall Apart (which is a rad book too), and Iג€™m pretty stoked, I found the album on amazon for $3.99, if you donג€™t have the album yet pick it up! It sounds awesome since itג€™s digital now! http://amzn.to/debgIZ

Now I have to get the others digital tooג€¦welp.... see ya later money.
man you :phila: guys have gone soft, i can't believe this noooob was able to ask a boring question about a rehashed topic and not have the thread locked after 2 posts

i think iladelph is their best work but game theory gets the most play in my boombox

edit: their live joint is underrated by this board, i still think it's one of the better bbq albums out there

LONDON!

Re: The Roots!! What's your favorite album?

Post by LONDON! »

mikeymcee wrote:Whatג€™s your favorite album of theirs?

Mine is def Things Fall Apart (which is a rad book too), and Iג€™m pretty stoked, I found the album on amazon for $3.99, if you donג€™t have the album yet pick it up! It sounds awesome since itג€™s digital now! http://amzn.to/debgIZ

Now I have to get the others digital tooג€¦welp.... see ya later money.
my favorite roots album is illadelph halflife

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

This is not meant to be a statement of the Zach de la Rocha is a top 50 MC statement because I'm not as big of a Roots fan as a lot of people in here, but...

Since The Roots don't seem to be slowing down artistically (they seem to keep getting better to a lot of people, actually) if they made 3-4 more albums that were as good as "How I Got Over" and "Game Theory" would you accept an argument that they're a top 5 or GOAT hip-hop group?

It's a big hypothetical, but not out of the realm of possibility considering their recent track record.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

No, and only because they will not be remembered for being innovating or important as the others. They will be remembered for being consistent, for longevity and while they definitely have been innovating with their live production or artistic growth, they have not had those hip-hop anthems that are needed to propel groups into that Top 5 category.

They are in my personal top 5 list, but when history is comprised of P.E., BDP, Wu-Tang, Run-DMC, Beasties, De La, ATCQ, NWA & OutKast it's hard for most people to squeeze them into a top 5.