General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

starks

Post by starks »

is it just me or was that the verse of ross's career

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

I know it's gay to say Kanye's my favorite artist ever. But his shit is crazy enjoyable and I find myself listening to his old albums more than I'm pulling out Illmatic to give it a spin. Plus other than 808 and that movie, everything he has done has been somewhere between great and classic. I understand the hate, and like I said I thought 808 was hot fucking garbage, but overall I'd take him over just about anyone making music today.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Fuck Tupac...

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

I have to admit, I thought based on the Good Friday tracks, that this album was going to be overproduced and full of overly-dramatic, egotistic, bullshit. And while all that is kind of true, it really just works man. The album came out really dope. I really wished he could have gotten that Pete Rock joint on there, though. Power and Monster and Runaway to a lesser degree are straight skipable at this point, but So Appalled remains one of the best songs on the album.

The shit with Rae is sooo dope. Ross went in on Dress and the updated version overall is a step up from what I had heard before. All Of The Lights beat is crazy, and I know this is going to be a song that is all over everywhere, but I think that it is the joint that is most guilty of falling into that overproduced, overly-dramatic category. For that, it annoys me already.

Not sure how I feel about Lost In The World. Need more listens. That sort of falls into the same situation as All Of The Lights for me. I am annoyed at first listen, but it may grow on me.

Overall the album is dope. I'm sure Kanye and all of the stans out there are going to be calling it the album of the century and all that. I don't know about all that. This shit could be forgotten rather quickly. Or maybe it will go down as something that was great and ahead of it's time. Time will tell I suppose.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

There are too many songs from the Good Friday releases. Kind of disappointed in that.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

It's bizarre that the biggest complaint in this thread is that Kanye gave some of the songs from his album away for free.

It's also weird that people actually expected Kanye to make an album full of tracks that sounded like "Come Clean." Kanye's not the kind of artist that would put out a lazy, uninspired throwback album that's only purpose was to sound like something that was made in the 1990s. He raps ridiculously well on here, has hard hitting beats like "So Appalled," and "Gorgeous," and keeps his singing to a minimum. All I got from his past statements was that he was working with Pete Rock, RZA, and Q-Tip and that he was coming out with a rap album, not something akin to 808s. He dropped "The Joy" for free, came with excellent hip-hop tracks (eg, "Devil in a New Dress") that would fit seemlessly on what's widely regarded as his best album (Late Registration), and blacked out on several songs where he dropped some pretty impressive, quotable worthy verses (eg, "Gorgeous"). He also experimented with the form a bit (eg, "Runaway," "All of the Lights"), but was still successful.

I don't get all of the whining. This is a great album. If your biggest complaint is that he gave some of the album to you for free before it was released, you're just reaching for something to bitch about.
Last edited by Icesickle on Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Can somebody PM a link please?

rhickey

Post by rhickey »

Icesickle wrote:It's bizarre that the biggest complaint in this thread is that Kanye gave some of the songs from his album away for free.
why is that bizarre? why would people want to pay for something that's already been given away for free like 2 months ago?

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

rhickey wrote:
Icesickle wrote:It's bizarre that the biggest complaint in this thread is that Kanye gave some of the songs from his album away for free.
why is that bizarre? why would people want to pay for something that's already been given away for free like 2 months ago?
:larry:

Most of the people who're complaining about this downloaded the album.

And when you're talking about the quality of a the album why does it matter if some of it was released before the entire thing was released? You're judging the content of the piece of work, not Kanye's marketing strategy. If the first 15 minutes of True Grit were released on youtube as part of a marketing push I wouldn't factor that in when I gave my opinion of the movie. It just seems like a very odd thing to complain about: "This guy had the fucking nerve to give me some of his album for free!"

Seiko Flossberg

Post by Seiko Flossberg »

Album of the year. Fuck what you think.

No one, bar none, can put together an album as well as Kanye.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

I'm not going to ruin it for anyone who hasn't heard it yet, but Kanye is God for how he had a special guest end "Blame Game." :lol:

The Rapping Coffin

Post by The Rapping Coffin »

rhickey wrote:
Uh. The album hasn't been released yet. Everybody has listened to the album for free so far. It's 2010, we all decide if we want to pay for music or not. When the songs are released is irrelevant. Why don't people get this?

Also he only released 4 songs officially (and 3 were demo versions).

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

The Rapping Coffin wrote:
rhickey wrote:
Uh. The album hasn't been released yet. Everybody has listened to the album for free so far. It's 2010, we all decide if we want to pay for music or not. When the songs are released is irrelevant. Why don't people get this?

Also he only released 4 songs officially (and 3 were demo versions).
So half of the album was leaked months before it's release and you don't see this as a problem? It takes away from the excitement of listening to the album, if you already heard half of it. Plus do you really think I would actually go out and pay full price for something when I already got half of it for free. That is like leasing a car, and when you take the option to buy the car, you have to pay the full sticker price for it. Shit doesn't make sense to me.

The Rapping Coffin

Post by The Rapping Coffin »

Random Sample wrote:[

So half of the album was leaked months before it's release and you don't see this as a problem? It takes away from the excitement of listening to the album, if you already heard half of it. .
1/3 of the album was released officially. it's common place for 2 singles and 2 b-sides to be released before an album drops. Good thing there wasn't an Illmatic thread or you would have been mad that you heard 3-4 of the songs before it came out.

Plus do you really think I would actually go out and pay full price for something when I already got half of it for free. That is like leasing a car, and when you take the option to buy the car, you have to pay the full sticker price for it. Shit doesn't make sense to me
Huh? You just downloaded the retail. It's not like you were going to wait to buy it on CD. Your analogy was outdated in 2001.

People really want to talk about anything but music now.

DLG

Post by DLG »

trying to figure out what you guys think is so good about this album. nothing really stands out.

Cowy

Post by Cowy »

Can someone pm me a link also?

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Cowy wrote:Can someone pm me a link also?
UBM CD COMING SOON

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Random Sample wrote:So half of the album was leaked months before it's release and you don't see this as a problem? It takes away from the excitement of listening to the album, if you already heard half of it. .
1/3 of the album was released officially. it's common place for 2 singles and 2 b-sides to be released before an album drops. Good thing there wasn't an Illmatic thread or you would have been mad that you heard 3-4 of the songs before it came out.
Why release 1/3 of the album officially then? I just don't understand that. Just officially release it on the release date.
Random Sample wrote:Plus do you really think I would actually go out and pay full price for something when I already got half of it for free. That is like leasing a car, and when you take the option to buy the car, you have to pay the full sticker price for it. Shit doesn't make sense to me
Huh? You just downloaded the retail. It's not like you were going to wait to buy it on CD. Your analogy was outdated in 2001.

I do go out and buy albums unlike most people nowadays. I just feel like there is no value or excitement for the album because I have listened to half of the songs for months now. Can you get that through your thick skull?

And if you want to talk to about the music Power, Monster, So Appalled, and Runaway are fucking terrible.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

What he should have done was had the PR joint, a Tip joint, a Premiere joint etc; as Good Friday tracks, and then released maybe Monster and Runaway as singles and then released the album.

I agree that it does not matter when the songs get released in regards to your actual review of a song, but I mean it does take away from the initial listening experience of an album when you have heard a bunch of the tracks prior to the having the full album. It does not make the songs better or worse, but to me, I am basically skipping 1/3 of the album everytime I listen now. No big deal, but I get what people are saying.

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude

Post by Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude »

DLG wrote:trying to figure out what you guys think is so good about this album. nothing really stands out.
this

Versive

Post by Versive »

Not for nothing, but the drums alone are basically killing everyone and everything out right now.

That said, Marcberg is still the album of the year.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Versive wrote:Not for nothing, but the drums alone are basically killing everyone and everything out right now.

That said, Marcberg is still the album of the year.
besides the marcberg shit i agree
UBM CD COMING SOON

Versive

Post by Versive »

HipHoppin wrote:
starks wrote:new version of devil in a new dress with rock ross and a guitar solo is amazing
starks wrote:is it just me or was that the verse of ross's career
yep that shit was fire, if not the best verse on the album, it's up there
He rips it but that's preposterous.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Random Sample wrote:[

So half of the album was leaked months before it's release and you don't see this as a problem? It takes away from the excitement of listening to the album, if you already heard half of it. .

Plus do you really think I would actually go out and pay full price for something when I already got half of it for free. That is like leasing a car, and when you take the option to buy the car, you have to pay the full sticker price for it. Shit doesn't make sense to me

By the time I got 'Illmatic', there was only one or two songs I hadn't heard before, 'One Time For Your Mind' being one of them.
Back in the day, there was an album build-up, and you usually did hear two, maybe three singles before you got the album.
Kanye shouldn't have used many G.O.O.D. Friday songs on the album, it half defeats the purpose of a free giveaway day, I think. It's just free album preview day then.
I still know its gonna be one of the best albums of the year. Top 3 beat wise, if not better.
go Kanye go
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
By the time I got 'Illmatic', there was only one or two songs I hadn't heard before, 'One Time For Your Mind' being one of them.
Did you buy Illmatic the day it dropped, April 19, 1994?

Versive

Post by Versive »

For the record, the only songs on this album that were released as close-to-complete tracks during the GOOD Friday sessions are Monster and So Appalled. Runaway and Power were out as singles, but only the Power remix was a free download. So that's 4 of 14 tracks you might've heard in full aready.

AND?!?!?

The most popular rapper in the world gave you an album-worth of demos and posse cuts for free before he released an incredible album. That happened.

Go marry hater bitches and have hater kids (not you Gloss, you just happened to be the last post, lol).

stilltown

Post by stilltown »

At this point, every album leaks at least a week before its offical release.

So by the time any album is released for purchase, the consumer already knows whether or not they will buy it.

The "why would I buy something that I already heard" argument doesnt make sense to me.

What's the last album anyone has bought that they hadn't already heard?

Like I said before, this is 2010, not 1990.

The marketing plan for an album release is completely different.

Bottom line, this is great music.

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

Album is sick. Every single track didn't need to be a seven-minute epic adventure replete with violins and harpsichords, though.

The song, Dark Fantasy: Which RZA beat is that a remake of again?

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

can i get link? i'm scared all the obvious ones in google might be viruses or something. paranoia will destroy ya.

Apathwhy

Post by Apathwhy »

chyea I might cop this even though every single CD I buy the last 5 years just sits and collects dust. Rap needs Kanye.