General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

DLG

Post by DLG »

great job guys

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:nice.
you ain't hip hop if you can't recite one ATCQ, i'm sorry. you must learn.
ain't mad with none of this, except I'd rank 'Saturdays' higher than in the 30's.
more could have been said about 'Stakes Is High'... but whatever. Oh, and Dinco wins @ 'Scenario' :cheers:
i bet lupe is so butthurt right now

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

props. good shit, you guys.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

A Dirty Lurker

Post by A Dirty Lurker »

Thursdays work just got put on the back burner, props guys!
My supersonics leave ya mute like Maggie Simpson.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

ripweblo wrote::cheers: , no we can get down :owens:
It was definitely on our list but a last minute cut to add some affiliate NT track such as "The Love Song (Remix). I think because there was so much ATCQ they felt it was something that could go.

RE: Buddy, I think everyone here knows the way Thun and I are after all the years of posting and rest assure it wasn't in our top 5.

As much as I want to say disregard some of the rankings, because there are only a few out of the hundred we had concerns with, focus more on what made the list. At least, that is how I'm selling it to myself.

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Philaflava wrote:
ripweblo wrote::cheers: , no we can get down :owens:
It was definitely on our list but a last minute cut to add some affiliate NT track such as "The Love Song (Remix). I think because there was so much ATCQ they felt it was something that could go.

RE: Buddy, I think everyone here knows the way Thun and I are after all the years of posting and rest assure it wasn't in our top 5.

As much as I want to say disregard some of the rankings, because there are only a few out of the hundred we had concerns with, focus more on what made the list. At least, that is how I'm selling it to myself.
Such a nice way to sell out.

Please post your alternative top 10, or better yet, your choice of a top 100 Native Tongues.

Thun

Post by Thun »

I think at this point it is probably in poor taste for me to delve into details about the whole process of constructing this list. People, especially borks (who nearly ruined the Native Tongues discography with faggot dance remixes) are just going to have to accept the list for what it is, rankings included. I don't think there are any blasphemous omissions, nor do I think the Native Tongues discography descends into mediocrity after these 100 songs... perspective, people.

My top 10 would look like this, I think:

De La Soul "Jenifa Taught Me"
Black Sheep "Black With NV"
A Tribe Called Quest "Jazz"
De La Soul "Breakadawn"
Jungle Brothers "In Time"
A Tribe Called Quest "If The Papes Come"
Black Sheep "Flavor Of The Month"
A Tribe Called Quest/LONS "Scenario Remix"
De La Soul "Plug Tunin'"
A Tribe Called Quest "Footprints"

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I'd like to say the Breakadawn write-up had to speak for MANY people. Definitely one of my favorite De La's tracks but I'll be damned if I know what the hell they're talking about.

For years I ignored it thinking it was just me. This is what I gathered from the whole track, Pos was born in Catskills or maybe the Bronx and then moved to Long Island. He was a fan of Muhammad Ali. Dove referenced Phil Collins leaving Genesis. That's all I got!

aleph

Post by aleph »

^Like a lot of De La songs, they can go all over the place subject-wise. I know that the ג€œJungle Brothers on the runג€ line was another dis to the JBs for what Pos perceived as them being fair-weather Tongues (refer to I Am I Be for more).

Most songs from PITPOR could rotate in my top ten (just wanted to put that out there cuz I'm angry that it got so few votes in the poll).

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

Despite owning at least 15 native tongue albums there are still plenty of tracks I haven't heard on here. Anybody willing to pull a zip situation a la the Kon & Amir list?

Thank you for this btw. Making the work day go so much faster.

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

Very dope list. Good job guys. I enjoyed the write ups, and while of course I would have placed some songs in different places, there was nothing where I was like "what the fuck is this doing on here/in this spot".

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

Wow, references to Paul C and Mr. Ingognito and Sweet Dreams make the cut. Mad proppers, you fellas really know your shizz! Hey, does anyone want to throw all these songs in a zip and individually tag the artwork to each song? Any takers? I certainly don't want to do that but if you do, then you be the man.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

There is a way you can download each MP3 on the page if you go to source. That said, if nobody steps up I will zip everything and post it but it probably won't be until this weekend.

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

Philaflava wrote:There is a way you can download each MP3 on the page if you go to source. That said, if nobody steps up I will zip everything and post it but it probably won't be until this weekend.

That's great! :cheers:

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Philaflava wrote:I'd like to say the Breakadawn write-up had to speak for MANY people. Definitely one of my favorite De La's tracks but I'll be damned if I know what the hell they're talking about.

For years I ignored it thinking it was just me. This is what I gathered from the whole track, Pos was born in Catskills or maybe the Bronx and then moved to Long Island. He was a fan of Muhammad Ali. Dove referenced Phil Collins leaving Genesis. That's all I got!
I have a 3 foot pencil and paper portrait (of a) masterpiece of the Breakadawn 12" cover. I have listened to that song one million times. It is scientifically impossible to glean any earthy, rational consensus opinion on a singular logical meaning to 97% of the words on that song. It still is one of the fucking BEST jams of that decade, and probably ever. You guys used the album version though, not the one with the ill ass bassline that comes in during the middle of the third verse. It was the 12" version that didn't make the album. Subtle and semi-saddening shift to the song, but not destructive to the overall impact. Shit still owns.

and the video to Breakadawn? CMON, SON

:naswtf: @ this remix! its kind of illllll. never heard it before. WOW. Pharcyde snippets?! rap really is out of control. enjoy

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GkMsCsRmDCM?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GkMsCsRmDCM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

peace to Shorty No Mas
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

theres a handful of songs on there that i dont think should have made it...theres also some awesomely unexpected inclusions

but forget the order or what made it and what didnt...the whole thing in general is incredibly well done..from the write ups to including a user friendly link to play each song to the photos of the records

all around great stuff

is there anyway to get a list version of the top 100 rather than a slide show...that way it would be easier to reference the list to determine what songs one thinks should have made it that didnt

one typo....the bizness is listed as a tribe song rather than de la

Jedisdope

Post by Jedisdope »

dope dope dope.
http://www.jedirosenberg.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@broodbabyjed

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Damn...step away from the :phila: for ten seconds and you miss something as big as this.

Gloss and Thun. Much respect. :cheers:

Couple comments:

Much love to "Double Huey Skit" "Lovely How I Let My Mind Float" "Buddy (album version)" and "The Hustle" making the cut. Thought I was the only one who loves those joints.
Thun wrote: In reference to the Chi-Ali "Funky Lemonade" remix...The remix is perhaps most notable for being recorded just in time to take advantage of the fact that a few months earlier Guru had made the profound observation that "lemonade was a popular drink and it still is.
:lol:
In reference to Tribe's "Lyrics To Go"...your mind was blown the second you realized that Tribe had turned Minnie Ripperton's whistle-pitch vocals into an instrument in their arsenal.
Too true.
In reference to Black Sheep's "Le Menage"...The lyrics are a little off-putting
:lol: Understatement of the year. The ab-libs at the end are horrendous.
In reference to De La's "Peas Porridge"...
Eh fuck it, just read it.

...Anyway, excuse my nerding out. Shit made my day. Thank yall, for real.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Very nice work in compiling all those songs and giving explanations that take me back in to the moment in time when I first discovered them. I'm still going through the collection as I type, but I also posted it at my blog to spread the word for others to appreciate: http://cratesofjr.blogspot.com/2010/12/ ... ative.html
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Props on the write ups and on the exposure you're getting. Good work, bros.

Pardon me if I missed one of these while I was skimming through the list, but some great songs that they've put out in the past decade could have gotten some love, imo:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CMDRVcXn4UA?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CMDRVcXn4UA?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/khxr26OaIBQ?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/khxr26OaIBQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r7znTkgEQaU?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r7znTkgEQaU?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Thun

Post by Thun »

The joints from the last decade really don't have much to do with the Native Tongues, conceptually or sonically though.

Thun

Post by Thun »

fatboybrandon wrote:Very nice work in compiling all those songs and giving explanations that take me back in to the moment in time when I first discovered them. I'm still going through the collection as I type, but I also posted it at my blog to spread the word for others to appreciate: http://cratesofjr.blogspot.com/2010/12/ ... ative.html
Thanks man, I follow your blog on Google Reader and caught this post. Appreciated.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

If somebody wanted to invest 30 minutes they could have DL all 100 mp3s directly from the Complex site.

Slang Sexuality

Post by Slang Sexuality »

Thun wrote:The joints from the last decade really don't have much to do with the Native Tongues, conceptually or sonically though.
Even though it's primarily a grouping of songs written, recorded, sold and performed by members of what used to be Native Tongues who still happen to be at least moderately relevant.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Slang Sexuality wrote:
Thun wrote:The joints from the last decade really don't have much to do with the Native Tongues, conceptually or sonically though.
Even though it's primarily a grouping of songs written, recorded, sold and performed by members of what used to be Native Tongues who still happen to be at least moderately relevant.
Yes, even though all that is true, there's no reason to consider those songs essential to a Native Tongues list. Correct.

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

excellent work.

I'm now going to plummet into a native tongues overload for the remainder of 2010.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Philaflava wrote:If somebody wanted to invest 30 minutes they could have DL all 100 mp3s directly from the Complex site.
How?

I'm assuming most people already have all of these songs, it's the one-click collection of what you guys selected in one folder that people are into. An easy drop and drag album to listen to as opposed to loading up all these albums and skipping skits, etc.

You guys have everything you selected in a folder (for Complex to upload), or no? If not, yeah, that would be a hassle. If so though, putting a zipped link on the TROY blog would probably generate some traffic.

Regardless though, great work.

Thun

Post by Thun »

PopeyeJones wrote:
I'm assuming most people already have all of these songs
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: / :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Versive

Post by Versive »

PopeyeJones wrote:
Philaflava wrote:If somebody wanted to invest 30 minutes they could have DL all 100 mp3s directly from the Complex site.
How?
Right click on any of the pages. Click view source. That brings up the source code.

Around line 75 of the source code if you look around you should see the html code for the sound file. What you want will start with http:// and end with .mp3

Copy that URL and paste it into a new window. That should open the track in whatever your default media player is and from there you should be able to save the file.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Thun wrote:
PopeyeJones wrote:
I'm assuming most West Coast Jewish kids who in 7th grade changed schools and were made to feel uncomfortable about their Fear Of A Black Planet poster already have all of these songs mixed in with their old Hiero albums which at the time were laughably "our very own West Coast version of thaaa Tongueeesss, maahhhhhhn".
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: / :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
fixed?

(not taking anything away from N.T.'s content either, just the way it was received/overlooked by some folks in comparison to P.E.)