Bay Area Thread 2011

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

vinylfiend

Post by vinylfiend »

GULLY is My Favorite outta the bay lately !!! Versatile flow and content..

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

The end of that new Gully tape is quite raw.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

i really like lil rue for some reason (cause he's fucking dope & bearfaced prob)

david111

Post by david111 »

thought the gully mixtape was just aite. it also has a big pause in the middle of one of the songs, and one song is included twice & mislabeled as a track that isnt included

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

david111 wrote:thought the gully mixtape was just aite. it also has a big pause in the middle of one of the songs, and one song is included twice & mislabeled as a track that isnt included
I didn't like it that much until the "personal" stuff at the end. Young Gully needs to be sans-chorus 100% of the time.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

ackbar wrote:i really like lil rue for some reason (cause he's fucking dope & bearfaced prob)
Rue and HD are pretty awesome respectively.

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

livewire in general is pretty fucking awesome. Have we discussed Philthy Rich's Trip'n 4 Life yet?

I liked it a fair amount. I'm not sure if it's as good as Funk Season yet since I've only listened to it the whole way through maybe twice but Philthy knows what he's good at as far as songmaking goes and that's what he sticks with for the most part of this.

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

Also, what else has livewire been up to lately? especially stalin, shady nate and stevie joe. I'm still feeling the fuck out of that 80's Baby shit he dropped late last year.

BIG NASTY

Post by BIG NASTY »

odium-LSC wrote:Also, what else has livewire been up to lately? especially stalin, shady nate and stevie joe. I'm still feeling the fuck out of that 80's Baby shit he dropped late last year.
stalin and shady both dropped albums with dj fresh.

stevie put out a mixtape iirc

david111

Post by david111 »

the livewire record from this year was straight garbage

vinylfiend

Post by vinylfiend »

Yea, ^^ pledge allegiance to the wire is wack..

DLG

Post by DLG »

in case someone missed this steadybloggin post

new turf talk, dj fresh beat, sick as fuck.

http://www.steadybloggin.com/turf-talk- ... ab-bay-boy

Wicked
Location: Bay Area, CA >www.MHzRadio.com< >mixcrate.com/wicked< >wicked22@aol.com<

Post by Wicked »

I'm from the Bay and for the most part, all the shit in this post is one sided and geared towards the RAP crap from the Bay. Where's the real muthafuckin Hiphop shit at??? Y'all TRIPPIN!

Homeliss Derilex, Motion Man, Encore, Del, Charizma, Souls Of Mischief, The Derelix, 10BASS T, Saafir, Dave Dub, The B.U.M.S, Pep Love, Mixed Practice, Casual, Blackalicious, Extra Prolific, The WhoRidas, Chill E.B., Lyrical Prophecy, Zion I, Peanut Butter Wolf, Digital Underground, Red Black & Green (Kutmasta Kurt's 1st group), Renaissance Of Chaos, Capital Tax, Persevere, Rasco, TRUTHLiVE, etc. There's way more, but I'm just thinking off the top right now. For the record, I don't really like and have never really liked The Grouch, Mystik Journeymen, Eligh, Bored Stiff and them. Living Legends as a whole, no thanks. I've tried, but just have never been able to get into those cats.

Some of the rap shit was cool in the late 80s and early/mid 90s like 415 (Richie Rich, D-Loc, DJ Darryl), Mac Dre, Too $hort, Ray Luv, Big Ocean Mobb 415, Mac Mall, Rated X, Ill Mannered Posse, Sean T, Young Lay, and others I can't remember. But damn, you cats are all posting that Keek The Sneak and similar type rap GARBAGE. Lame.

THANK GOD I haven't seen any E-40. Only two times did I head E-40 sound nice... Once was on Motion Man's album from 2002 on the song "Reason 2 Panic" and the 2nd time was (surprisingly) a song with Talib Kweli called "Real Talk" produced by DJ Hi-Tek from 2003. I have it! One of my boys is cool with 40 and them and gave me a copy on cd. I don't think it's out there. :gyeah: Hmmmm, maybe I'll post a lil snippet if anyones interested???
"Wicked = Genuinely loves Hiphop and respects it because he grew up during the time when it wasn't full of southern mongoloids and Lil Wayne rappers. From his mixes you can tell he knows his shit. The problem is, when you are a smart dude preaching to a bunch of fucking morons, you end up getting singled out as the douche."

Wicked
Location: Bay Area, CA >www.MHzRadio.com< >mixcrate.com/wicked< >wicked22@aol.com<

Post by Wicked »

Herea pic of a few of my Bay Area Hiphop & Rap tapes...

OOPS! I have that Stretch Armstrong Show tape in there. haha Oh well. Masta Plann was a Filipino group from Daly City and that tape is their album from '93. Then you also have DJ AJAX, Prince Ice and DJ Tim (all from the Bay).
"Wicked = Genuinely loves Hiphop and respects it because he grew up during the time when it wasn't full of southern mongoloids and Lil Wayne rappers. From his mixes you can tell he knows his shit. The problem is, when you are a smart dude preaching to a bunch of fucking morons, you end up getting singled out as the douche."

blessingindisguise

Post by blessingindisguise »

Dumb question for comedy quaddafi, blastmaster, and gurped out. What do u think the common characteristics of the bay sound y'all praise so much.

I'm not talking bout hyphy stuff like traxxamillion, mac dre, or keak da sneak either. I obviously haven't been listening to much besides the jacka/mob figaz and a few others.

alpha

Post by alpha »

i'm from the bay and this shit is :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gurped Out

Post by Gurped Out »

@ WICKED, its 2011 not 1996, most of the groups you named while dope, are no longer doing anything noteworthy or at all, except Hiero. I post things I find that I like and are current while trying not to hype up my crew/friends.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

blessingindisguise wrote:Dumb question for comedy quaddafi, blastmaster, and gurped out. What do u think the common characteristics of the bay sound y'all praise so much.

I'm not talking bout hyphy stuff like traxxamillion, mac dre, or keak da sneak either. I obviously haven't been listening to much besides the jacka/mob figaz and a few others.
Argh. Tried to answer your question but I have to admit I know dick about Bay music and just follow a few specific rappers.

Most of the Livewire and Mom Figaz rappers/affiliates are kinda weak IMO but to each his own.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

BIG NASTY

Post by BIG NASTY »

Wicked shut the fuck up.

Wicked

Post by Wicked »

SUCCMAICOCK BIG NASTY :gyeah:

Btw, how's bluntington beach? Sounds like a place where faggits dwell.

But yo, check out Dem One from San Jose. He was on my 90.1 KZSU Stanford radio show in January and here's his new video for the single "Timeline" featuring and produced by D-Styles (off the Audio Still Life EP). He also has beats by my folks DJ Hen Boogie and Da Hermit on the EP.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3PMzdzcZU6w?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3PMzdzcZU6w?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Here's the Dem One Interview/Freestyle Session from 1/23/2011 for those interested... http://www.mediafire.com/?v9immolrp5pjtdq (23:09)
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/sh ... on=8,0,0,0" width="335" height="28" id="divplaylist"><param name="movie" value="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist? ... 888078-028" /><embed src="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist? ... 888078-028" width="335" height="28" name="divplaylist" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashpl ... d></object>
Last edited by Wicked on Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Wicked wrote:Herea pic of a few of my Bay Area Hiphop & Rap tapes...

OOPS! I have that Stretch Armstrong Show tape in there. haha Oh well. Masta Plann was a Filipino group from Daly City and that tape is their album from '93. Then you also have DJ AJAX, Prince Ice and DJ Tim (all from the Bay).
What is this, like a 'look at all the cool shit I listen to' post?
How about you rip all that shit and post it in TROY doodie?

Wicked

Post by Wicked »

Versive wrote:What is this, like a 'look at all the cool shit I listen to' post?
How about you rip all that shit and post it in TROY doodie?
haha THIS guy. I'm just showin a pic of a few tapes I have had since they came out. No biggie. I have to assume some of that is already on the net somewhere? But is there anything in particular you would like me to convert and upload? Let me know...

Versive

Post by Versive »

Nah I never heard of any of it - just saying you got all that good stuff, might as well share it homie

Wicked

Post by Wicked »

Versive wrote:Nah I never heard of any of it - just saying you got all that good stuff, might as well share it homie
No doubt. I'll convert one of those tapes this week and post it in here.

But for now, check this out...

The Wicked Takeover on MHz ג€œBay Area Specialג€
- Mixed by Shaun D. aka Wicked on 90.1 KZSU Stanford 04/04/2010 10pm-1230am

01. -Intro
02. Homeliss Derilex - Critical Meltdown (Instrumental) [Prod. by G-Luv - 1995] Maluado 12"
03. Homeliss Derilex - Fraudulent [Prod. by G-Luv - 1993] Stones Throw FRAUDULENT (EP)
04. Peanut Butter Wolf feat. Charizma - No Time For Frontin [Prod. by Peanut Butter Wolf - 1991] Stones Throw STRAIGHT TO TAPE 1990-1992 (LP)
05. Souls Of Mischief - Good Feeling [Prod. by A-Plus - 1994] Jive 12"
06. The B.U.M.S feat. Saafir - Rain [Prod. by Joe Quixx - 1995] Priority 12"
07. Motion Man - '93 Swing [Prod. by Joe Quixx - 1993] StepSun 12"
08. Del The Funkyhomosapien - In And Out [Prod. by Del - 1993] Elektra NO NEED FOR ALARM (LP)
09. Casual feat. A-Plus of Souls Of Mischief - That's How It Is - Part II [Prod. by Toure - 1993] Jive 12"
10. Extra Prolific - First Sermon [Prod. by Snupe - 1994] Jive LIKE IT SHOULD BE (LP)
11. Madchild feat. the Monk of Funk & DJ Q-Bert - Pregnant [Prod. by J. Def - 1994] Bomb BOMB HIP-HOP COMPILATION (LP)
12. 10BASS T - 10Bass Hit (On & On) [Prod. by Selector G - 1995] SanJoseSoundRecordingCo. DO YOU KNOW THE WAY? (LP)
13. Casual feat. Pep Love & Del Tha Funkee Homosapien - Who's It On [Prod. by Domino - 1992] Jive FEAR ITSELF (LP)
14. Saafir - Pull Ya Card [Prod. by J Groove - 1995] Qwest 12"
15. Mysterme, Kool Kaz, D-Wyze, Motion Man, Sway & Evol - Wake Up Show Theme [Prod. by King Tech - 1994] All City Productions WAKE UP SHOW FREE STYLES VOL. 1 (LP)
16. The B.U.M.S feat. Maestro Fresh-Wes & Motion Man - Untitled [Prod. by King Tech - 1993] Priority PROMO SAMPLER (Tape)
17. Del The Funkyhomosapien feat. A-Plus of Souls Of Mischief, Casual & Extra Prolific - No More Worries [Prod. by Domino - 1993] Elektra NO NEED FOR ALARM (LP)
18. Peanut Butter Wolf feat. Quiz One of Lyrical Prophecy - Score The Medaphore [Prod. by Peanut Butter Wolf - 1991] Stones Throw STRAIGHT TO TAPE 1990-1992 (LP)
19. Charizma & Peanut Butter Wolf - Devotion [Prod. by Peanut Butter Wolf - 1993] Stones Throw BIG SHOTS (LP)
20. Capital Tax feat. JH the Master, Alafi, Prophecy & Father DOM - Treetop Connection [Prod. by DJ Smooth G - 1993] MCA THE SWOLL PACKAGE (LP)
21. -Talk Break
22. Casual - I Didn't Mean To (Instrumental) [Prod. by Casual - 1992] Jive FEAR ITSELF (LP) 12"
23. The King Tech Wake Up Show Freestyle Battle with Casual & Hieroglyphics vs. Saafir & Hobo Junction 11/18/1994 on 106.1 KMEL San Francisco, CA (Tape)
24. -Talk Break
25. Saafir - Battle Drill (Instrumental) [Prod. by J Groove - 1994] Qwest BOXCAR SESSIONS (LP) 12"
26. Del The Funkyhomosapien - Thank Youse [Prod. by A-Plus - 1993] Elektra NO NEED FOR ALARM (LP)
27. Peanut Butter Wolf feat. Charizma - Raquel [Prod. by Peanut Butter Wolf - 1991] Stones Throw STRAIGHT TO TAPE 1990-1992 (LP)
28. The B.U.M.S - Out House Stunt [Prod. by King Tech - 1993] All City Productions WAKE UP SHOW UNRELEASED PROJECT (LP)
29. Casual - I Didn't Mean To (Remix) [Prod. by Mike G & Casual - 1993] Jive 12"
30. Souls Of Mischief - Ya Don't Stop [Prod. by A-Plus - 1995] Jive NO MANS LAND (LP)
31. Del The Funkyhomosapien feat. Pep Love & Q-Tip of A Tribe Called Quest - Undisputed Champs [Prod. by Del - 1993] Elektra 12"
32. The B.U.M.S - West Coast Smack [Prod. by The Baka Boyz - 1995] Priority LIFE 'N' TYME (LP)
33. Souls Of Mischief - Fa Sho Fo Real (Instrumental) [Prod. by Toure - 1995] Jive NO MANS LAND (LP) 12"
34. -Outro

Size: 280 mb
Quality: 256 kbps
Time: 2hrs 33mins
File: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H52IK8TP

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

don't fuck up this thread.

blessing..
most of the rappers discussed in this thread are yay area mob music. they rap about selling white girl, smoking kush, sippin' bo, pimpin' hoes & shooting people. there tends to be a mix of traditional straight-ahead "hip hop" flows & more off-kilter/gruf voices/flows. beats range from soul samples to synth originals to 80s samples.. and r&b hooks are very common.

basically.. gangster rap.

Wicked

Post by Wicked »

I'm not fuckin up the thread... It's titled BAY AREA THREAD 2011 so I'm just makin sure I add some fuckin BALANCE. You can't call it "Hiphop" and have only rap shit.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Did anybody call it "Hiphop" other than you?

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Wicked wrote:I'm not fuckin up the thread... It's titled BAY AREA THREAD 2011 so I'm just makin sure I add some fuckin BALANCE. You can't call it "Hiphop" and have only rap shit.
Hey faggot, did you notice the '2011' in the title?
Almost no one you mentioned makes new music, so why the hell would they be in the discussion?
:roll: at a grown ass man still trying to kick that rap vs hip hop bullshit.
I don't fuck with this faggot ass modern bay shit either, but I'm not pathetic enough to think it matters to anyone else.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Wicked

Post by Wicked »

Wicked wrote:Homeliss Derilex, Motion Man, Encore, Del, Charizma, Souls Of Mischief, 10BASS T, DJ Hen Boogie of The Derelix, Saafir, Dave Dub, The B.U.M.S, Pep Love, Casual, Mixed Practice, Blackalicious, Extra Prolific, Dem One, The WhoRidas, Chill E.B., Lyrical Prophecy, Zion I, Peanut Butter Wolf, Digital Underground, Red Black & Green (Kutmasta Kurt's 1st group), Renaissance Of Chaos, Capital Tax, Persevere, Rasco, TRUTHLiVE, etc.
All the ones in bold still make new music.
Jayou Ayen wrote:Hey faggot, did you notice the '2011' in the title?
Almost no one you mentioned makes new music, so why the hell would they be in the discussion?
So what were you saying about almost no one I mentioned making new music??? hahahaha Guess yoar the faggit, faggit.
:cheers:
Last edited by Wicked on Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alpha

Post by alpha »

ackbar wrote:don't fuck up this thread.

yes please post more shitty bay area gangster rap :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: