Rappers who wanted to go pop and flopped

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

The Afronaut wrote:
myself wrote:this is what I was thinking. I interpreted the topic as rappers who changed to go pop and failed to capture that audience ( while often alienating their existing fanbase). I wasn't thinking of rappers/groups that actually succeeded and blewup for an album or 2 and later dropped off.
Aight. Last go round. Cypress Hill didnt do this?

Are the same people that bump their first 3 albums bumping their last 3?
This is something you can't understand

PEACE

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

peanut butter wrote:This is something you can't understand

PEACE
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

I still play IV. I don't see why anyone would dislike that record, although it obviously isn't as good as the first three. Temple of Boom is my favorite album of theirs so that partially explains why I really like IV, I think (similar production and mood).
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Robust

Post by Robust »

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

The Afronaut wrote:
peanut butter wrote:This is something you can't understand

PEACE
:lol: :lol: :lol:
so well played
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

what's the ruling of pop/flop status for the beatnuts then?

GhostDog

Post by GhostDog »

Does Wiz count? I haven't even bothered with the new record as read it's absolute trash because of his attempt at pop, but his mixtapes have been dope.

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

GhostDog wrote:Does Wiz count? I haven't even bothered with the new record as read it's absolute trash because of his attempt at pop, but his mixtapes have been dope.
his single went platinum so he didnt fail at going pop..he might not have the consistently strong buzz he should but his switch of style has benefited him greatly.

GhostDog

Post by GhostDog »

A Kid wrote:
GhostDog wrote:Does Wiz count? I haven't even bothered with the new record as read it's absolute trash because of his attempt at pop, but his mixtapes have been dope.
his single went platinum so he didnt fail at going pop..he might not have the consistently strong buzz he should but his switch of style has benefited him greatly.

My bad, I honestly didn't know the single did that well. Just read the album went triple plat. Total FAIL on my part.onestl

Great topic. Trying to think of rappers that qualify.

GrimeyHippy

Post by GrimeyHippy »

Philaflava wrote:
GrimeyHippy wrote:Tyler, and lost his underground support in the process
He did?
he lost a lot of underground fans

not just by releasing a shitty album after a lot of hype but then these comments:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RYgaRsCH8E

Thun

Post by Thun »

GrimeyHippy wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
He did?

not just by releasing a shitty album after a lot of hype but then these comments:
Nobody gives a shit about being "underground" in 2011. Why would this rarely viewed video cost him fans?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

what exactly is 'underground' in 2011?
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

GrimeyHippy

Post by GrimeyHippy »

Thun wrote:
GrimeyHippy wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
He did?

Nobody gives a shit about being "underground" in 2011. Why would this rarely viewed video cost him fans?

because all his interviews and music are on the same sarcastic faggot ass tip

he's a lame gimmick

I'm a hipster but I hate hipsters

I'm underground but I hate underground

yeah we get it dude, your mind works in mysterious ways that's too clever for the average person, your music still sucks

also the title of the thread is "artists that wanted to go pop but flopped", if you haven't noticed not many people are buying his album, so if he doesn't really like the underground I guess he's SOL for now

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Dude's first commercial release moved like 50k first week. Also, he has a few songs that I would consider in the running for track of the year, so his music definitely doesn't suck. People who care about underground fanbases are fucking losers.

GrimeyHippy

Post by GrimeyHippy »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:Dude's first commercial release moved like 50k first week. Also, he has a few songs that I would consider in the running for track of the year, so his music definitely doesn't suck. People who care about underground fanbases are fucking losers.

I'm sure he does care about his fanbase, he's just a sarcastic faggot

He sold albums off hype and because the average rap fan is a retarded white girl, album is garbage

Kid That's Lifeless

GrimeyHippy wrote:
Kid That's Lifeless wrote:Dude's first commercial release moved like 50k first week. Also, he has a few songs that I would consider in the running for track of the year, so his music definitely doesn't suck. People who care about underground fanbases are fucking losers.

He sold albums off hype and because the average rap fan is a retarded white girl, album is garbage
:roll:

How many spins have you given it? Probably none. It isn't a classic or anywhere close, but if you're calling tracks like Yonkers, She, Tron Cat, Nightmare, Sandwitches garbage, you're an idiot.

GrimeyHippy

Post by GrimeyHippy »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:
GrimeyHippy wrote:

How many spins have you given it? Probably none. It isn't a classic or anywhere close, but if you're calling tracks like Yonkers, She, Tron Cat, Nightmare, Sandwitches garbage, you're an idiot.
Yonkers is a good track, there's a couple more I remember liking, but a few good tracks isn't a good album, and it certainly isn't going pop. 50k? lol, he went aluminum. all in all album is garbage - unlistenable

Kid That's Lifeless

GrimeyHippy wrote:
GrimeyHippy wrote:

Yonkers is a good track, there's a couple more I remember liking, but a few good tracks isn't a good album, and it certainly isn't going pop. 50k? lol, he went aluminum. all in all album is garbage - unlistenable
Then why bring him up in this thread in the first place? Did he make a decision to completely flip his style to sell records? He made an album that is completely unplayable on pretty much every mass media format. That's not going pop/selling out/whatever, that's damn good marketing.

GrimeyHippy

Post by GrimeyHippy »

GrimeyHippy wrote:
GrimeyHippy wrote:

Then why bring him up in this thread in the first place? Did he make a decision to completely flip his style to sell records? He made an album that is completely unplayable on pretty much every mass media format. That's not going pop/selling out/whatever, that's damn good marketing.
because there probably is a lot truth in what he said in that interview. He says I didn't get into this to be underground and all that shit, I hate that shit

which means he wants to go pop

if you want to go pop and sell 50k and the the majority of people who hear your record wont buy it or wouldn't buy it again that's "flopping"

thebohdan252

Post by thebohdan252 »

GrimeyHippy wrote:
GrimeyHippy wrote:
GrimeyHippy wrote:

because there probably is a lot truth in what he said in that interview. He says I didn't get into this to be underground and all that shit, I hate that shit

which means he wants to go pop

if you want to go pop and sell 50k and the the majority of people who hear your record wont buy it or wouldn't buy it again that's "flopping"
i took that as him meaning he wants to eat steak, not ramen noodles

blackleg

Post by blackleg »

shawn mims

Kelron

Post by Kelron »

UMC's

:lock:
"the plot thickens like the Dickens giving whoopins and lickins when you're not looking"

Thun

Post by Thun »

GrimeyHippy wrote:
Thun wrote:
GrimeyHippy wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
He did?

he's a lame gimmick

yeah we get it dude, your mind works in mysterious ways that's too clever for the average person, your music still sucks

also the title of the thread is "artists that wanted to go pop but flopped", if you haven't noticed not many people are buying his album, so if he doesn't really like the underground I guess he's SOL for now
Are you retarded?

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

he doesnt feel the flava

step one

Post by step one »

CNN thread reminded me of Nore with that reggaeton shit. He was in the strange situation of already being pretty successful with all those Neptunes produced singles and then decided to change lanes only for it to fuck up.
Last edited by step one on Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

GrimeyHippy

Post by GrimeyHippy »

Thun wrote:
GrimeyHippy wrote:
Thun wrote:
GrimeyHippy wrote:
Philaflava wrote: He did?

he's a lame gimmick

Are you retarded?

are you a faggot?

that's rhetorical

GrimeyHippy

Post by GrimeyHippy »

thebohdan252 wrote: i took that as him meaning he wants to eat steak, not ramen noodles
I can understand wanting to blow up, but that's no need to shit on everything from to owning vinyl to coming half a breath away from dissing stonesthrow

Kid That's Lifeless

The guy that tweeted this http://twitter.com/#!/fucktyler/status/ ... 3684952064 is getting you all flustered. Fucking herb.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

:lol:

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

GrimeyHippy wrote:
thebohdan252 wrote: i took that as him meaning he wants to eat steak, not ramen noodles
I can understand wanting to blow up, but that's no need to shit on everything from to owning vinyl to coming half a breath away from dissing stonesthrow
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: