Rock The Bells 2011 Line-up Announced

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Steve Lurkel

Post by Steve Lurkel »

lauryn hill performance was absolute dogshit last year. waited like 2 hours for her to start too.

we were surrounded by girls (good) but they were all really excited to see lauryn hill (bad) and kept talking about how they couldnt wait for her, and basically doing that screamy girl shit that girls do. then my friend (rosario) exclaimed "Lauryn Hill sucks!" at which point the girls turned around and gave him a look of disapproval, at which point he replied "what? she does."

csb.

also i heard she delayed the washington show 4 hours last year and snoop only ended up performing like 3 songs. understandable though, she was getting a manicure.

i don't understand why they brought her back. on the bright side, if as the flier suggests, she's last; i can catch the boats and miss the mob early and avoid her shitty set.

can you imagine all the righteous chicks that badu and hill will bring out being on the same boat? ugh. they should get j zone to perform to balance it out.

GetToStepping

Post by GetToStepping »

Guaranteed 98% of folks will still be ahead of you waiting for the boat with l Boogs last. I left early last year and still practically walked back to Battery Park before finding a boat, which was infested with spiders, I might add.

Rob Banks

Post by Rob Banks »

HipHoppin wrote:
Versive wrote:I think Rakim went through all of Paid in Full last year, plus a couple from later albums. KRS One was/is intergalactic. Wu did all of 36 minus a few verses maybe. Didn't catch all of snoop's set because I was beat, but he was supposed to do all of Doggy Style and was keeping at it when I left. If you have an hour set one album might not fill it up, so you gotta figure other songs'll get thown in.
Snoop did the entire album, including short films for each skit. He was easily the star of the show. The Lauryn Hill performance was horrible.
HipHoppin, you thought Snoop was easily the star of the show?? I didn't think so. I felt bad for him actually. He did a good set but it seemed like the apex of the show was Wu-Tang right before him. His set was anti-climactic to me- especially considering how many people were filing onto those boats during his set... He was undoubtedly the biggest celebrity on the bill, but I didn't think he had any business going on after Wu-Tang in their hometown. I don't know- it didn't seem like people were enthused when he went on.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Requesting to have current hip hop artists perform nothing but songs off of albums they made over a decade ago is pretty damn insulting to the artists... I would think.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

I would love to see artists perform their bad albums track for track so that they can truly be held accountable in front of a live crowd and apologize for their shortcomings.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:I would love to see artists perform their bad albums track for track so that they can truly be held accountable in front of a live crowd and apologize for their shortcomings.
O.C. thinks 'Bon Appetite' is a solid album. They wouldn't give a shit, nor would they necessarily even think there was anything to apologize for if they did in fact give a shit.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

Thun

Post by Thun »

If you are entertained by Snoop Dogg in 2011 ... something bad.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

step one

Post by step one »

Cleanhobo wrote:Requesting to have current hip hop artists perform nothing but songs off of albums they made over a decade ago is pretty damn insulting to the artists... I would think.
not really. I saw KRS a few months back and he cant have done more than 2 songs that were less than 10 years old. Same with the Wu a few years back when 8 Diagrams dropped - they only did one song off the album, nothing off Iron Flag and the rest was the first 3 albums + classic solo shit.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

DaBonks

Post by DaBonks »

I was at Rock The Bells 2010 in New York and to me the highlight was easily A Tribe Called Quest. They went at it.
Every member was hype and extremely up for it.
The Wu did their thing, but nothing more.

I only saw

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

anybody care to opine on the vip vs regular ticket option?

im wondering if its worth splurging for the vip jawn

TheBeeShine

Post by TheBeeShine »

samdoom wrote:anybody care to opine on the vip vs regular ticket option?

im wondering if its worth splurging for the vip jawn
from what i remember at 2007 rock the bells, the VIP included a backpack and other party favors, closer access to the stage, and air conditioned areas that you can sit in. it's all about preference my dude!

TONES

Post by TONES »

added to the show KP performing Heavy Mental in it's entirety.
butta

GetToStepping

Post by GetToStepping »

I would say it's worth every penny.

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

step one wrote:
Cleanhobo wrote:Requesting to have current hip hop artists perform nothing but songs off of albums they made over a decade ago is pretty damn insulting to the artists... I would think.
not really. I saw KRS a few months back and he cant have done more than 2 songs that were less than 10 years old. Same with the Wu a few years back when 8 Diagrams dropped - they only did one song off the album, nothing off Iron Flag and the rest was the first 3 albums + classic solo shit.
Word.

Just saw Raekwon a while ago, promoting Shaolin vs Wu-Tang, but majority of his performance was classic shit (Rainy Dayz, Criminology, Triumph, etc). Wu members usually give a good performance. That's been my experience with them anyway.

IKH5150

Post by IKH5150 »

anyone know the promo code for NYC tickets?

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

IKH5150 wrote:anyone know the promo code for NYC tickets?
ILLMATIC

IKH5150

Post by IKH5150 »

samdoom wrote:
IKH5150 wrote:anyone know the promo code for NYC tickets?
ILLMATIC
:cheers:

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

anybody go to the show in LA this past weekend?

Sumthin_Funky

Post by Sumthin_Funky »

samdoom wrote:anybody go to the show in LA this past weekend?
More or less what I expected. Not a complete disaster of a show, but nothing spectacular. Common actually gave a really good performance. He was really into it and he freestyled a bunch of times. Nas was ill, but still kind of disappointing because he only performed one verse, two verses tops to each song. On top of that, he could almost never finish a bar and would sometimes leave like a full 5 second gap in between verses.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

^^^

any other synopsis? i was mainly interested in finding out if lauryn hill's set actually sounded like miseducation. i saw her a couple months ago with a band and they were terrible- none of the songs sounded like the originals.

did you see random axe, roc marc or slaughterhouse perform? i'm going to the nyc one and i'm kinda tryin to plan who to see.

thanks in advance

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

I went, but was pretty fucking wasted...and only real highlight I remember is mushing some pastoids face for complaining that he couldn't wait for Mac Miller to come on. CSB
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pizon

Post by Pizon »