(NBC Nightly News)
El-P
(CD, "Cancer 4 Cure")
:ohsh:

Wonder what song he'll do.

chiefbombpro

Post by chiefbombpro »

^ "Stay Down"
Philaflava wrote:all these new blog rappers should be tasered on the regular.

ogie

Post by ogie »

just ordered the g-money shit. gonna have to dvr letterman.

zombie

Post by zombie »

chiefbombpro wrote:^ "Stay Down"
was my first guess.

going through them all right now tho, most of them can actually work on TV.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

zombie wrote:
chiefbombpro wrote:^ "Stay Down"
was my first guess.

going through them all right now tho, most of them can actually work on TV.
I love 'Stay Down', but it's a little dark for TV, especially for Letterman. In a way, it is the most traditional song on the album, and the hook is one of the "catchiest", but that bassline is just so GRIMEY. Will life go there? That would be interesting.

how about daring to see if anyone is listening by doing 'Works Every Time'? it sounds exciting and has a groovy tempo and easy to understand chorus... they could do a short and sweet version easy.
and it's about getting fucking high :rockout:

or will we get 'The Full Retard'? :ohsh:

AMPLIFIED FOR :cheers:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

el-p said on his twitter they were doing "stay down."

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/16RUi9Dad8Y?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/16RUi9Dad8Y?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Surreal and awesome. El is having a good week.

DLG

Post by DLG »

intense

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

That was fucking awesome. I know Atmosphere did Letterman and a bunch (including El) have done Kimmel/Conan, but for whatever reason seeing El on Letterman is some shit, man. Never thought I'd hear Paul Schaefer say "El-P in the house!" That was really fucking cool. Congrats, hopps.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

dug/dig it
moved by duck muscles

chiefbombpro

Post by chiefbombpro »

Nice.

He also exclaimed on twitter that it was the 11th anniversary of Cold Vain and the 10th of FanDam yesterday.

zombie

Post by zombie »

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/16RUi ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/16RUi ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

DLG

Post by DLG »

Fuzzy Logic

Post by Fuzzy Logic »

i cant believe Nicky Diamonds is playing with him. small and bizarre world

zombie

Post by zombie »

DLG wrote:Image
haha.

what does that picture mean again?

chiefbombpro

Post by chiefbombpro »

Last week.

zombie

Post by zombie »

you grumpy in the morning? relax im just sharing it

not everyone stays up late to watch david letterman. some of us have better than to do, like masturbate.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Sylissez wrote:That was fucking awesome. I know Atmosphere did Letterman and a bunch (including El) have done Kimmel/Conan, but for whatever reason seeing El on Letterman is some shit, man. Never thought I'd hear Paul Schaefer say "El-P in the house!" That was really fucking cool. Congrats, hopps.
Yeah, this one felt different. From the MCA/Sendak shoutout, the trombone dude killing it, then Schaefer sayiing, "El-P in the house"...shit was like

wuk

Post by wuk »

zombie wrote:you grumpy in the morning? relax im just sharing it

not everyone stays up late to watch david letterman. some of us have better than to do, like masturbate.
you shared it like 3 posts after someone else shared it. all the posts in between were people talking about it.
ryebread mixes. <--------download

wuk

Post by wuk »

DLG wrote:I like the album, it's good, but I think overall after this and El' new album I'm honestly a little disappointed with his production for the first time ever.

Sounds like he's hit a comfort zone with that super hard drums + synth style and it doesn't sound to me like he's taking that many chances anymore.

usually when El did production on a whole album ever beat had it's own very clear identity, for the first time I feel like some of the beats on both these albums sound similar to other ones on the album and kind of retread the same sonic ground.
I'm quoting this from the Mike thread because I think it is more applicable here, but I agree. I'm a fan of both albums, but my one criticism would be the lack of diversity in his current production. It seems like his last couple of albums had a wider spectrum of sounds used and they were better for it.

Maybe it's intentional and speaks to the subject matter a bit, but some of the brighter moments that juxtapose the dark are missing. It could also be a lack of sampling, but I don't really know how El makes beats anymore.
ryebread mixes. <--------download

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

Fuzzy Logic wrote:i cant believe Nicky Diamonds is playing with him. small and bizarre world
well, he also did an album with Daddy Kev a few years ago.

Fuzzy Logic

Post by Fuzzy Logic »

yeah i know, and i rapped on stage with him and busdriver and matisyahu before, lol

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Fuzzy Logic wrote:yeah i know, and i rapped on stage with him and busdriver and matisyahu before, lol
You just described one of Snackbeezy's wet dreams.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

wuk wrote:
DLG wrote:I like the album, it's good, but I think overall after this and El' new album I'm honestly a little disappointed with his production for the first time ever.

Sounds like he's hit a comfort zone with that super hard drums + synth style and it doesn't sound to me like he's taking that many chances anymore.

usually when El did production on a whole album ever beat had it's own very clear identity, for the first time I feel like some of the beats on both these albums sound similar to other ones on the album and kind of retread the same sonic ground.
I'm quoting this from the Mike thread because I think it is more applicable here, but I agree. I'm a fan of both albums, but my one criticism would be the lack of diversity in his current production. It seems like his last couple of albums had a wider spectrum of sounds used and they were better for it.

Maybe it's intentional and speaks to the subject matter a bit, but some of the brighter moments that juxtapose the dark are missing. It could also be a lack of sampling, but I don't really know how El makes beats anymore.
I'm going to disagree heartily. Production in 2012 is stale as fuck. If people aren't assembling what Blockhead lovingly refers to as "Enya Rap", they're jerking off to free Roland downloads. Drums that are hard as fuck are needed. EL-P mentions it in that Fader interview: outboard gear. Most of that doesn't factor into a lot of the production that is paid attention to in 2012 (and for several years preceding). While I won't say a producer using an EPS-16+ is like the most cray shit ever; I will say it's ill that he sticks to that machine and exploits it to his full advantage (nh).

Beats need to be hard as fuck (nh). Beats need to be menacing to a certain degree. Artists like EL-P should always be surrounded by what sounds like pissed-off sounds.

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

these drum machine drums aint that hard

fan dam was hard

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

AWAE wrote:these drum machine drums aint that hard
I was unaware Cage followed up Movies For The Blind with Stories For The Deaf.

zombie

Post by zombie »

wuk wrote:
zombie wrote:you grumpy in the morning? relax im just sharing it

you shared it like 3 posts after someone else shared it. all the posts in between were people talking about it.
someone else talked about it, nobody posted the video... hahaha

you are umadding so hard right now. just relax buddy everything will be ok its for the people that didnt catch it on tv hueh