It Was Written was orig. supposed to be Nas + Marley Marl LP

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Req

It Was Written was orig. supposed to be Nas + Marley Marl LP

Post by Req »

:ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh:
ג€œI wanted to make a street album with Marley Marl. I looked up to Marley as an inventor of so many styles of hip-hop music. I love what he did with Mama Said Knock You Out with LL Cool J. And being from the same hood, the second album had to be with Marley. So I started off with Marley Marl.

ג€œI went in there and we went to work but Marley lives kind of far away. It always seemed like a mission to get there for me. We didnג€™t work every day, we picked the weekends. I didnג€™t [always] get out there eitherג€”I was getting in a little trouble here and there around my ways.

ג€œAfter a while, some of my songs would appear as promos on the radio with all kinds of niggas rapping on them. And I didnג€™t even finish working on the song for my album. Like, I had a song called ג€˜On The Realג€™ that I didnג€™t finish. I was coming back to finish it and before I could, Iג€™m hearing it on the radio with people rapping on it. I couldnג€™t understand that. I was hurt and I knew I couldnג€™t work like that.
http://www.complex.com/music/2012/05/th ... -the-album

just started reading....
F.U. MOOLAH

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

that joint leaked but it just had the same verse from the illmatic reissue + mega rapping on it
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

I read that earlier. That would have been crazy. It sounds like Nas sort of flaked out on the whole thing and didn't really show up or feel comfortable with it.

That whole piece just makes me love and hate that album. I like the album but just hearing them say over and over about how they had to make him commercial and tried planning it out so much just kind of made like ehhh I wish that didn't happen.

Req

Post by Req »

its crazy that Stretch has arguably the 2 hottest beats on this. Never really thought about it.
Tone: ג€œNas always wanted to get his crew together, so he had been calling it The Firm for a minute. We had been trying different members out. We actually had 50 Cent in it for a little while. It just didnג€™t work out. We actually made a record too.ג€

Poke: ג€œYeah. The record was out! It came out on mixtapes and the whole cycle. It was crazy. It was 50, Nas, and Nature. In fact, Mary J. Blige was going to be a part of The Firm too at one time. It was just a conversation. She came in, we entertained it. She did a record with us and Nas that we put out with Mary singing on it and everything. Nore slipped in there, Mobb Deep. We kind of made it like, a real Queens thing. Thatג€™s why we tried to put 50, because 50 was from Queens, as well.ג€
I'm assumin theyre talking about "Too Hot" and "The Firm freestyle"

BLACK PIRELLIS, ROLLIN OVER THESE MAKAVELIS

brrrrrap
Last edited by Req on Fri May 25, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F.U. MOOLAH

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

Req wrote:its crazy that Stretch has arguably the 2 hottest beats on this. Never really thought about it.
Then it's kind of weird at the end (i'm assuming they're talking about him) getting a free ride with publishing. Like he was luck to even get on the album.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

more stories about marley being a shady. what a shocker.

Req

Post by Req »

bbatson1 wrote:
Req wrote:its crazy that Stretch has arguably the 2 hottest beats on this. Never really thought about it.
Then it's kind of weird at the end (i'm assuming they're talking about him) getting a free ride with publishing. Like he was luck to even get on the album.
yeah, they're buggin, I dont think they appreciate how fucking dope Silent Murder is. Either that or they're jealous they got murdered on they own shit.
F.U. MOOLAH

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

The original "On The Real" got KL, Kyron and Mega. All kinds of n*ggas?

Fuck you man...Mega = friend, Kamakaze was doing an album with Marley at the time so it's logical to put them on the song.

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

And I knew that "Lex TV sets the minimum" line was a Jay-Z diss
"I spit that thug shit nigga, MOTHERFUCK singing"

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

"It Was Written" is a great album. Way more highs than lows. It was a big step forward in 1996, too. I enjoyed it.

:rofl: @ the jab at Jay-Z. Nas needs to put Shawn on his new album, real talk.

This is an amazing article.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Req

Post by Req »

Magneto wrote:And I knew that "Lex TV sets the minimum" line was a Jay-Z diss
yeah, I didnt catch that til 50 Cent mentioned it a while back. Which makes "Imaginary Player" the rebuttal. Was something about the "your single was 99 cents, mine was 4 bucks" line.
F.U. MOOLAH

Versive

Post by Versive »

I almost voted On The Real as my favorite Nas song in that GOAT poll last night.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Versive wrote:I almost voted On The Real as my favorite Nas song in that GOAT poll last night.
"rollin' on you non-descript n!ggas/ ya marked for death like Columbians with bad coke that gyp n!ggas"

Nas at his Nastiest.

:bow: :copy:
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

:killacam: they don't even mention Cormega's name when they all talk about The Firm :naswtf:

step one

Post by step one »

'On The Real' is probably the hardest beat Nas has ever rhymed on. That song is fucking sick. The one on the Illmatic reissue was shitty.

Dont believe that about 50 being in The Firm at one time though - looks like Nas is just mentioning it because he's a big name now. Seems strange that it was never bought up before although he was rolling with Trackmasters at the time and signed to the same label as Nas. Dont think he'd have fitted in well with Nas, Az & Mega though.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

perfect nugget to release now. doesn't matter if its true or not because it plays perfectly.
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Req

Post by Req »

Philaflava wrote:more stories about marley being a shady. what a shocker.
http://www.unkut.com/2008/01/whats-really-real/
UNKUT: Do you remember that J-Force kid?

K-Def: Yeah, I was working at Sugarhill studios at one time, and he came through there and he had told me something that he did the song ג€œ25 To Lifeג€ and Marley got the credit for it. He said ג€œYo! I know why you left, yo!ג€ Iג€™m like ג€œWhat are you talkinג€™ about? Whaddya mean ג€˜Why I leftג€™?ג€ Heג€™s like ג€œYo! Yo! He be doinג€™ n*ggas foul!ג€ and this and that. He was saying he did that song ג€œLA, LAג€ and never got credit for it, but I didnג€™t even know nothing about it. I thought his name was on the record, but come to find out that record was a white label [chuckles]. I donג€™t know if you ever heard ג€“ Nas did a song, it was a song that Marley was playing called ג€œOn The Realג€. Remember that?

UNKUT: Yeah Iג€™ve got that.

K-Def: I was on the radio one day, cause I used to the radio with Marley on pirate, I played that break for the first time and Marley had recorded that radio show and looped it up and then put Nasג€™ vocals on it, and then claimed the fame for that track. Iג€™m not here talking dirty about it, Iג€™m just saying thatג€™s what really happened, so if you ever interview Marley Marl and you ask him about that, he should confer to that and say ג€œYeah, that did happenג€.
yeesh
F.U. MOOLAH

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Nas FUCKED UP by not being on 'Miseducation of Lauryn Hill', that's wassup doe

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

step one wrote:'On The Real' is probably the hardest beat Nas has ever rhymed on. That song is fucking sick. The one on the Illmatic reissue was shitty.
how you figure? it has the same beat & two new verses that are maybe better than the first verse (that's on both versions). also, the rerecording of that first verse is better than the og take.
1. Nas
2. Drake

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:
how you figure? it has the same beat & two new verses that are maybe better than the first verse (that's on both versions). also, the rerecording of that first verse is better than the og take.
:larry:

Nav

Post by Nav »

I hate Steve Stoute.
Resolved Question
Does Biggie Smalls hate HipHop???

"Shoulda been a cop, Fukc Hiphop"

I've been wondering what he meant by this.
Additional Details
Rap sucks, HipHop is better

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
Naw, he likes hip hop and rap. He was just referring to if he hadn't started rapping he would've been a cop.
So he's cursing it, not that he doesn't like it, just for the sake of it.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

yeah. Steve Stoute ain't no Dame Dash.

RoKnew

Post by RoKnew »

lol at prodigy callin out N.O.R.E

Pizon

Post by Pizon »

What word did he mess up on "The Set Up"?

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

RoKnew wrote:lol at prodigy callin out N.O.R.E
he has every right to.

listen to Prodigy's style on that song. shit is EXACTLY how NORE rapped for like a year or two. not that NORE is the only guilty party, cause nuff cats stole from the MOBB dunns in that time.

nobody says shit about how Cormega is biting Ghostface's urgent crying gangster steez on 'Affirmative Action', though

it happens. some people just ain't honest about it.

real heads know

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Pizon wrote:What word did he mess up on "The Set Up"?
He says QB since 1933, but QB wasn't opened until 1939.

bignormy

Post by bignormy »

pradadon wrote:
Pizon wrote:What word did he mess up on "The Set Up"?
He says QB since 1933, but QB wasn't opened until 1939.
That doesn't make sense the way he described the error at all.

Maybe its thought the hoes were Somalian. The word itself makes sense but the meaning doesn't. But what word could he have meant?

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

yeah i mean were they putting on accents or what? that's some serious firm biz trickery.
1. Nas
2. Drake

The Frankest

Post by The Frankest »

Had it saved on Favorites and just read it.... Some of my original resentment for this album just awoke :bunk: The aftermath section has a good point but FUCK Steve Stoute and FUCK Trackmasters as a staff, record label and as a motherfucking crew, for being so manipulative at the time and taking too much ownership of the album today. I also hate Stoute's attempts at coming off articulate behind buzzwords like "marketing" "publishing" "crossover appeal" and all that cynical stuff... Dudes need to stay in their lanes and let Nas be the star of his own fuckin' thing!! Not one mention of TR136 either... FOUL... '96 was a conflicted time for Nas and they tricked him through a lot of hoops, it would take years for him to get back on the real path... I hope this article hasn't ruined IWW for me again but for the moment I'm back to hating.
EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:
step one wrote:'On The Real' is probably the hardest beat Nas has ever rhymed on. That song is fucking sick. The one on the Illmatic reissue was shitty.
I agree.