Kno Goes Buck On Spotify (Gives Away Back Catalogue)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Dids

Post by Dids »

IF somebody wants to grab attention by giving me their music, I will give them some fucking attention. How the fuck is that a negative in the indie hip-hop world. Should artists sit back and just hope somebody notices them?

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

young god wrote:
blastmaster wrote:
young god wrote:
Dids wrote:So a guy makes a bunch of music available for free and the default response is knee jerk hate?
Seriously.

Blast, you're way off the mark here too. Whether you like them or not is irrelevant. CL do pretty well for themselves, and contrary to 90% of the rappers you post about, these guys can do successful full U.S. and European tours. They have a very loyal cult like following.
Oh who cares. This still reeks of silly attention grab.

All he did was tell people he was taking their music off Spotify and his reasons for doing so on Twitter. He didn't email a PR mailer out to blogs or anything. You're reaching.
Young god, CL isnt ignorant enough for Ol blasty to brag to his friends about. Add some gold teeth, worse lyrics, and triplet 808 sounds, and he's a new born fan.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

ardamus wrote:
young god wrote:
blastmaster wrote:
young god wrote:
Dids wrote:So a guy makes a bunch of music available for free and the default response is knee jerk hate?
Seriously.

Blast, you're way off the mark here too. Whether you like them or not is irrelevant. CL do pretty well for themselves, and contrary to 90% of the rappers you post about, these guys can do successful full U.S. and European tours. They have a very loyal cult like following.

All he did was tell people he was taking their music off Spotify and his reasons for doing so on Twitter. He didn't email a PR mailer out to blogs or anything. You're reaching.
Young god, CL isnt ignorant enough for Ol blasty to brag to his friends about. Add some gold teeth, worse lyrics, and triplet 808 sounds, and he's a new born fan.
bragging to your friends about Nas, Slick rick & Just-Ice's ignorant teeth is one of the 4 elements iirc.

Julius Seizure

Post by Julius Seizure »

Its good PR. When was the last CL related thread on this site? And now there's a 2PB with heated debate and people asking what their best album is and whatnot. And it allows an artist to take a public stand against someone he feels is profiting off of his (and others') work.

wuk

Post by wuk »

i don't know if he changed it or what, but only the two oldest albums on there are "name your price"

the rest are $5 or $9 still
ryebread mixes. <--------download

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

thread is all about Kno being a top 5 unlikable underground rap e-personality. Dude has spent his off-time erasing goodwill online.

zombie

Post by zombie »

wuk wrote:i don't know if he changed it or what, but only the two oldest albums on there are "name your price"

he read this topic and said "nope. fuck this shit.".

ric

Post by ric »

og post was june 24. its june 25 and i have to pay minimum $9 for Dirty Acres.

not really interested in doing that.
thread is all about Kno being a top 5 unlikable underground rap e-personality. Dude has spent his off-time erasing goodwill online
seriously

myself

Post by myself »

blastmaster wrote:Has anyone ever paid for one of his albums in the first place. Rabble rousing for rabble rousing's sake is gay. The chance that this dudes website exposes a couple of people to your music is worth letting successful people be successful without letting the wind of envy blow your skirt up.
As of around 3 years ago ( sometime before Strange Journey Vol 2 came out) The Cunninlynguists catalog had Soundscans of around 39,000.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

it wasn't until this thread that i actually took the time to find out what spotify was.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

PopeyeJones wrote:thread is all about Kno being a top 5 unlikable underground rap e-personality. Dude has spent his off-time erasing goodwill online.
i think he gets unfairly hated. sure he has said some questionable things, we all have. but he is also in a position where he does have an outlet and he definitely doesn't bite his tongue. i gotta think if he wasn't lily white and we didn't "e-know" him we'd cut him some slack. i'm not defending his every move, but i think over the years he does get a little extra unwarranted hate.

Sebastion Shaw

Post by Sebastion Shaw »

Kno gets hate but it is definitely more than balanced out by the love he gets worldwide. A few people trolling him seems to get under his skin as dude can be sensitive from what I've seen. But the love he gets from people is ridiculous too.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Nom Inf wrote:If Kno would have never picked up a microphone(or a computer keyboard) I think dude would've been one of the most respected "underground" producers in recent memory.

These albums are worth a couple bucks off production alone.

Has he ever released instrumental versions?
A few instrumental albums. I think just check their website and its up there.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

wuk wrote:i don't know if he changed it or what, but only the two oldest albums on there are "name your price"

Ah, a time tested bait-and-switch. Sonds about right.

PopsUK

Post by PopsUK »

Nom Inf wrote:Has he ever released instrumental versions?
Most of the albums were available in limited editions with a second disc of intrumentals. He did a series called "Excrementals" too, which collected lots of his beats. I met Kno at a show - he took a picture with my friend who was visiting from England who has no interest in hiphop whatsoever, and he had a good laugh about why the fuck he'd be at a QN5 show if he doesn't know who he is - so I think he's a good dude.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Philaflava wrote:
PopeyeJones wrote:thread is all about Kno being a top 5 unlikable underground rap e-personality. Dude has spent his off-time erasing goodwill online.
i think he gets unfairly hated. sure he has said some questionable things, we all have. but he is also in a position where he does have an outlet and he definitely doesn't bite his tongue. i gotta think if he wasn't lily white and we didn't "e-know" him we'd cut him some slack. i'm not defending his every move, but i think over the years he does get a little extra unwarranted hate.
never hated him online either. what did he do online for people to hate him anyways? i remember he caught feelings over getting some of his samples that got ratted out on a few records but thats about it.
Larry2times wrote:
ardamus wrote:
young god wrote:
blastmaster wrote:
young god wrote: Seriously.

bragging to your friends about Nas, Slick rick & Just-Ice's ignorant teeth is one of the 4 elements iirc.
:fail: because we're talking about newer rappers blasty likes. Gucci and etc.

Dap

Post by Dap »

straight up i think if kno wasn't white he would get more love

what exactly has he done online to warrant the hate?

only thing i can remember was that open letter to mf doom for the imposter shit or whatever

young god

Post by young god »

He's a good dude. He's disliked because he's opinionated and doesn't hold his tongue? I guess that logic warrants everyone on this forum to be disliked then.

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

If I recall correctly, most recently he went off on a rant at some Youtube commentators for blowing the spot up on samples he's used. And him being a heavily sample-driven producer, may possibly owe some royalties for shit that's not cleared. "Shit" presumably being most of their catalog.

Good group though - very consistent albums, capable rappers and Kno is a pretty excellent producer. I usually have a CL album on my Iphone - never a waste of space yo.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Busta Ry wrote:If I recall correctly, most recently he went off on a rant at some Youtube commentators for blowing the spot up on samples he's used. And him being a heavily sample-driven producer, may possibly owe some royalties for shit that's not cleared. "Shit" presumably being most of their catalog.

Good group though - very consistent albums, capable rappers and Kno is a pretty excellent producer. I usually have a CL album on my Iphone - never a waste of space yo.
Yeah, it was that situation with A Piece Of Strange.
http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.1 ... er-samples
"[A Piece of Strange] would have cost $3+ million to clear all of the samples on it - but some people have told me it literally saved their lives," he said. "Should it not exist? Should I now be lectured on legal morality by people with just as many skeletons in their closets and blunts in their ashtrays just because they want to defend their right to talk about samples on one of the biggest websites in the world?" (aboveGroundMagazine.com)

He also added, "The music I make infringes on copyrights. I am aware of this and have been aware of this, that is why I donג€™t stress getting rich off of it, I tell people to download it if they want to and I sink any money I do make back into making more records...I am not 'blaming fans,' Iג€™m stating facts...public discussion of specific instances of copyright infringement in my work is making it impossible to even create the music period, even if I were to give it away for free. It would still end up on YouTube and Iג€™d still get served by Google-searching lawyers and publishing houses who think they might be able to squeeze money out of me." (aboveGroundMagazine.com)

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

young god wrote:He's a good dude. He's disliked because he's opinionated and doesn't hold his tongue? I guess that logic warrants everyone on this forum to be disliked then.

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Busta Ry wrote:he went off on a rant at some Youtube commentators

+ sticking it to the man by giving away his own music for free (which the Spotify dude likely made no more than 30$ profit on ).

This unjustified vilifying by trapaholic borks must be stopped, hes clearly a well-adjusted adult who deserves respect.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

ardamus wrote:what did he do online for people to hate him anyways?
Don't really have a dog in this race, but all I remember of his posting here is him being pretty consistently self-righteous, self-aggrandizing, and just obnoxious all around.

Doesn't mean he's not a decent person offline (no shortage of folks who have met MB claim to like him), but as far as I know outside of other artists and CL fans he's pretty widely disliked on the net.

TBH, apparently lying about the pay-as-you-want shit to drive people to your site really isn't a good look either. That's the only thing that rubs me wrong save for the fleeting memories of the general impression.

Still a good producer, though.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

PopeyeJones wrote:
ardamus wrote:what did he do online for people to hate him anyways?
Don't really have a dog in this race, but all I remember of his posting here is him being pretty consistently self-righteous, self-aggrandizing, and just obnoxious all around.

Doesn't mean he's not a decent person offline (no shortage of folks who have met MB claim to like him), but as far as I know outside of other artists and CL fans he's pretty widely disliked on the net.

TBH, apparently lying about the pay-as-you-want shit to drive people to your site really isn't a good look either. That's the only thing that rubs me wrong save for the fleeting memories of the general impression.

Still a good producer, though.
you pretty much described most of the regulars that post here. :lol: thats kind of why i don't get the hate if he was just posting like any normal poster would (myself included). it just goes back to what young god said earlier, tbh.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

ardamus wrote:
you pretty much described most of the regulars that post here. :lol: thats kind of why i don't get the hate if he was just posting like any normal poster would (myself included). it just goes back to what young god said earlier, tbh.
Agreed that folks with some name recognition are probably held to a different standard, and I can imagine having to be "kewl" all the time online to please internet chirpers isn't fun. And yeah, I, like almost everyone else am a fucking asshole on :phila: in a way I'd never be offline. Still though, as I remember it, dude stood out as being especially self-aggrandizing, self-righteous and obnoxious on different occasions, even among a sea of assholes. I don't have any examples so I'm not saying my memory of it should be quoted as truth, but it's def what I recall.

maclethal

Post by maclethal »

This thread has self-aggrandized the self-aggrandizing self-aggrandizement.

God, why do hip-hop message board people insist on using the term "self-aggrandizing" at any given chance? There are so many other words and ways to describe that particular state of being. Expand your vocabulary!

Try: "bumptious," for example.

Maybach Music.
A tuna that smells like pussy is better than a pussy that smells like tuna. -Anonymous

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

maclethal wrote:This thread has self-aggrandized the self-aggrandizing self-aggrandizement.
No it doesn't. I'm the only one who used it and I qualified it. Simmer down.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

... yeah, price...what he said

but.. does anyone else hold death is silent as one of the greatest concept albums ever?
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Dap

Post by Dap »

capable_keL wrote:... yeah, price...what he said

but.. does anyone else hold death is silent as one of the greatest concept albums ever?

was the album really that good? :naswtf:

i've had it on my computer since it dropped, but after reading so many "OMG KNO SUCKS AT RAPPING" comments i decided to pass on it.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

which cunning linguist was responsible for the brilliance of 'the word jackit is what they did to styles not what they covered their backs with' on that seasons song produced by rjd2
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo