Giulio 4's Yacht Rap Awesomeness

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude

Post by Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude »

sleazy_j wrote:<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qcFiok6rM-g?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qcFiok6rM-g?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
^^^ Now, was all that really necessary?

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

I like this a lot. But wtf? I need a tracklist or something. This shit ain't labeled.
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

Not completely sold as yet, but my opinion after one listen is that this guy is far more entertaining than Currensy.

Also not sure why we're comparing the two at all. Do all blacks look alike?

j/k

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

the dead poet wrote:I like this a lot. But wtf? I need a tracklist or something. This shit ain't labeled.
This. Really annoying in iTunes.

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

Track 3 is called "Hundred Ones".

<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bV-qmRer3JU?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bV-qmRer3JU?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

krylonjukie

Post by krylonjukie »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:Track 3 is called "Hundred Ones".
:cheers:

Versive

Post by Versive »

Yohan wrote:
the dead poet wrote:I like this a lot. But wtf? I need a tracklist or something. This shit ain't labeled.
It's really not that big of a deal, dudes. The songs were tagged with the name and album, and it's not like they're going to get lost in your mammouth Giulio 4 discography.

Jay Electronica's Victory mixtape dropped without a tracklist too if you remember.

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Versive wrote:
Yohan wrote:
It's really not that big of a deal, dudes. The songs were tagged with the name and album, and it's not like they're going to get lost in your mammouth Giulio 4 discography.

Jay Electronica's Victory mixtape dropped without a tracklist too if you remember.
1. Victory consisted out of already known tracks iirc.
2. I'm really anal about the way I organise my music. I want everything to have proper titles, names and cover art. Of course it's no big problem in the grand scheme of things, but I do think it's really annoying it came without a proper tracklist.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Versive wrote:and it's not like they're going to get lost in your mammouth Giulio 4 discography. .
:rofl:
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

GrimeyHippy

Post by GrimeyHippy »

garbage

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Kobe Bryant's Lazy Eye

Post by Kobe Bryant's Lazy Eye »

anybody gotta link to offshore exchange still? I remember liking it and steady bloggin' gotta broken link

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

Kobe Bryant's Lazy Eye

Post by Kobe Bryant's Lazy Eye »

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Thun wrote:
drizzle wrote:you guys are overthinking it

it's not a gamechanger or even anything particularly original, but it doesn't need to be. sit outside when its nice, drink and/or burn a little, and it hits the spot well.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!You're right! How did I not get that???? Outside, drinking, smoking, relaxation .... it's all so clear now.

WARNING - UNINTENTIONAL THREAD HIJACK FOLLOWS. SKIP IF YOU CAME HERE TO AGREE WITH ORIGINAL POST.

Anyway, I didn't overthink it at all. I played it and it bored the shit out of me. Music that requires you to iron your best gold toe socks, crack some fine merlot, wax your jaunty mustache, confirm your Expedia travel package to Singapore on your luxury Android phone, and finally strike the perfect listening pose in an Eames chair in preparation to listen ... now that's overthinking!

I enjoy how Curren$y and to a lesser extent Fiend have taken Camp-Lo's nearly robotic aesthetic fixations and molded them into a type of music that is less technically impressive but more human and authentic despite its obvious contrivances. Its cool, and it's an unsurprising form of escapist indulgence at a time when working class and middle class people are rapidly losing ground.

But as a growing trend, it is already becoming kind of tired. Partly because Expedia-Yacht-Escapist rap is music of evasion. It's cool, distant, affected to a fault. It is frozen in time, just like Camp-Lo's original incarnation; the culture at large will move beyond it quickly. It offers very little in the way of memorable personalities or songs that stick with you, because it focuses almost exclusively on the trappings of the imagined jetset lifestyle. And in the really long run, that's not enough. Rap is not that easy listening genre that its misguided defenders make it out to be to avoid holding anyone accountable for its content.

We still listen to "C.R.E.A.M." long after we've stopped giving a fuck about kung-fu flicks, Wild Irish Rose, or comic books. "Expedia Rap" doesn't have those other qualities that last for the long run, it doesn't produce a song like "Regrets" because such a song runs counter to its fixation. So, while I agree that the artists that Cool H listed aren't exactly alike, they share a certain fixation with "lifestyle" to the detriment of a pretty long list of intangibles that matter.

Not an attack on anyone's tastes, listen to whatever gets you through the day, but in my view, the whole concept has already been diluted and wasn't a very bright idea to begin with.
Thank you Thun!!!

It sounds good, but the substance is so unrealistic that I can only bear to hear but so much of it. I guess also when you learn that 80% of the cats making this music don't have a passport it becomes so much harder to take seriously.

Maybe I just need to learn to treat rap music like the movies now and just realize that rappers are now just painting unreal, escapist images for folks to vibe to and get off this whole "keep it one hunid" bullshit.

ANU

Post by ANU »

just listened to this again

still :cheers:

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

How this guy is so so so far under the radar is nuts

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

well, it took me like 30 minutes to find that mixtape link above, which i found by accident at giulio4.com, which is full of "lorem ipsum" template pages. plus his youtube site is full of songs off another mixtape that google can't find.
apparently he's not too interested or concerned about internet marketing; it seems that he already has the ability to book shows with people like Plies.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

he might've missed the brief window for lounge rap glory from earlier in 2011, when curren$y and fiend were really going strong

weirder more druggier shit occupies most of the radar now

Versive

Re: Giulio 4's Yacht Rap Awesomeness

Post by Versive »

Copped this vinyl over the weekend on the strength of the cover. Voila

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

awesome find

Versive

Post by Versive »

Yeah, normally I wouldn't have even posted it out of respect to beatmaker code of conduct, but it sounds like dude literally did nothing to the source, didn't even loop, so I guess it isn't really a sample at that point.

Brokewax

Post by Brokewax »

Versive wrote:Yeah, normally I wouldn't have even posted it out of respect to beatmaker code of conduct, but it sounds like dude literally did nothing to the source, didn't even loop, so I guess it isn't really a sample at that point.

I guess this is semi :smugkid: but since were talking samples the og of the track he jacked is.

BTW, has this dude dropped anything new lately? I enjoyed the first 2 tapes he did

Versive

Post by Versive »

Ah, I figured there was as deeper source cos the Carte Blanche record I mentioned is actually like a chill house comp.

I haven't heard anything from him since that 2nd tape, which I also enjoyed.

ANU

Post by ANU »

new tape : http://www.datpiff.com/Giulio4-Unreason ... 16441.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

quick skim does not disappoint. probably gonna delete the ones that don't have yachty beats on gp, but he definitely delivers on what you'd want from him

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Wow I had given up on ever hearing from him again. Excellent!

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

secret santa up in this piece.

" Unreasonable Doubt2 provides a journey laced with unprofaned lyrics and unprecedented beats that challenge some of the top billboard artists today."

unprofaned? okay.