Midwest Mobb Music

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

ackbar
Super Canadian

Midwest Mobb Music

Post by ackbar »

it's about time we have a thread dedicated to the special brand of gangster rap coming out of cities like akron & kansas city. bay area influenced.. but not without it's own signature sound.

thomas @ http://www.100grandonmywrist.com has done a great job of covering these scenes (which i never really considered much outside of ampichino & rich the factor before). although there isn't a ton of people writing about these regions.. the music is pretty easy to find online & through youtube

ackbar
Super Canadian

Re: Midwest Mobb Music

Post by ackbar »

the recent murder gang post on 100k opened me up to the first rap group i ever heard of from ft. wayne, indiana. pretty dope stuff

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

from the newest rich the factor album

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Rich is in my current top 10. His recent output has been awesome. The KC scene is pretty strong right now.

http://kansascityrap.blogspot.com/?m=1

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

yea that blog is a good one. there's discussion/uploads on a few of the bay forums too. plus rapbay
ampichino remains one of my fave out b/c (along with joe blow) he's making the music jacka was making 5-6 years ago

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

If Handsome and this joint from Cop Heavy Gang 2 weren't in your top tracks of 2012 then, shucks, you might as well just go listen to the contents of djjefffresh's FUTURE BASS DUBSTEP etc thread :

Ampichino & Young Bossi w/ Yukmouth - Runaway

maclethal

Post by maclethal »

SO stoked to see this thread on here. I can really put you guys up onto some shit if you fuck with my town.

Rich the Factor
"Cake Walk"

Rich the Factor
"Orca" (NOT "Orca Movement". Rich has A LOT of whale references to his music, obviously because of Big Whale).

If you love Rich the Factor, check Sliccs Gotcha (who's dead, but still put it down)

Rappin Twan feat. Rich the Factor
"Turf Habits" (KC classic)

Ron Ron (My personal favorite KC rapper)
"Money"

Ron Ron
"100 Barz"

Ron Ron
"I Get Cut"

Mr. Stinky feat. Messy Marv, Luni Coleone, Fat Tone (RIP)
"KC to California"

Fat Tone (RIP)
"Bad Guy"

Rondoe feat. Various KC artists "We Been On"

Rondoe "Everywhere We Go" feat. Feezy Cash & Bishop Dondotta

Rondoe "Tell Me Wat Up"

Cash Image feat. G Money & The Popper

The Popper
"There He Go Again"

The Popper
"For The Mo" feat. Tech N9ne, Ron Ron

OLD SCHOOL KANSAS CITY MOBB MUSIC:

Romeo Ryonell
"Set It Off"

Tech N9ne <-Old school Tech was SUPER Mobbed out
"Mitch Bade"

I've worked with/am friends with just about every rapper from Kansas City, so if you need me to try to get a hold of any projects or anything from these cats let me know.

You really need (Stik Figa will agree) to locate any and every project from MidWest Side Records in the late 90s, any Mr. Stinky/Vigilanty Squad record from the late 90s, and obviously all Rich the Factor shit.
A tuna that smells like pussy is better than a pussy that smells like tuna. -Anonymous

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Balkongen Loungin' wrote:If Handsome and this joint from Cop Heavy Gang 2 weren't in your top tracks of 2012 then, shucks, you might as well just go listen to the contents of djjefffresh's FUTURE BASS DUBSTEP etc thread :

Ampichino & Young Bossi w/ Yukmouth - Runaway

Best album of 2012 imo
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

nice post mac. i def listened to some rondoe, ron ron & cw da youngblood before but never checked any of their albums/tapes. you know the best places to start?

not sure how the mac dre / mac minister stuff played out behind the scenes.. but fat tone def has some great songs

Gurped Out

Post by Gurped Out »

Great thread i love Midwest Mobb music :cheers:

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Sliccs' album is outstanding.

maclethal

Post by maclethal »

My favorite Kansas City gritter album, from the 50's, is probably Skitzo-frinik by Ron Ron. He has a few dope tapes, but you can't go wrong with this one. Ron destroys this shit. Just play this hoe front to back.

Here's the free DL (highly recommended): http://www.datpiff.com/Ron-Ron-Skitzo-f ... 62494.html

Here's Da Klown Gang's Let it Klown Mixtape. It's a highly unknown, and slept on tape. KCMO shit. DL: http://www.datpiff.com/Da-Klown-Gang-Le ... 92983.html

Do you listen to Kutt Calhoun? It's an obvious choice, but he's one of the rawest and most slept on spitters from KC:

Kutt Calhoun "Whip It" (listen to this on subs, my producer Seven did the beat. He does most of Tech, Brotha Lynch and my beats)

Here's a real treat for you guys. This is Tone Capone. He actually got murdered while performing back in the 90s, but was SO crucial on the mic. He had a lot of potential, but got his life cut short. Not many people have heard this:

Tone Capone "It's Tone Capone"

I fucked my post up last night and lost it all, and had to redo it, so more in a few. Just wanna post this now.
A tuna that smells like pussy is better than a pussy that smells like tuna. -Anonymous

maclethal

Post by maclethal »

God, you guys are taking me back. This is about as mobb as it gets.

Mr. Stinky "Armed Criminal Action" feat. Fat Tone, Tone Capone, Tech N9ne etc. Don't sleep on late 90's Tech. He RAN this fucking city.

maclethal

Post by maclethal »

Tech N9ne "Be Warned"

maclethal

Post by maclethal »

I can't believe I forgot B.G. Bulletwound

Paul Mussan

Rondoe's 2thou12 Street tape was pretty sikc. If you can find it.

THE TOWN!

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

some classics from the midwest

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

most emotional rap song at the moment

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

ackbar wrote:most emotional rap song at the moment

Dope. Thanks for this.

Comedy Quaddafi

Took me a while to get used to Rich The Factor but know that I'm accustomed to his voice I recognize that hes a brilliant rapper. I esp like the way he writes about fairly ordinary raptopics in a strange and really original way. His music doesn't really sound like anything else out there.

http://www.100grandonmywrist.com/2011/1 ... adows.html

Great mix.

He has way too much music out for me to wrap my head around. What are you guys' favorite releases from him?
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Comedy Quaddafi

New album from this guy is sick.

Hyphy (the producer) has been murdering 2013. Fuck a Alchemist.
- MB

ADR

Post by ADR »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Took me a while to get used to Rich The Factor but know that I'm accustomed to his voice I recognize that hes a brilliant rapper. I esp like the way he writes about fairly ordinary raptopics in a strange and really original way. His music doesn't really sound like anything else out there.

http://www.100grandonmywrist.com/2011/1 ... adows.html

Great mix.

He has way too much music out for me to wrap my head around. What are you guys' favorite releases from him?

*Big Thyme (2001? 2002)

*Factorism (2002)

*Rich The Factor Mixtape Vol. 5 - Street > Commercial (2007)

*The Jumpoff (2006)

*Black Border Brothers Vol. 1 (2005)

*Throwback Mix (2007)

There are diehards out there that would be quick to mention the absence of releases like Pole Position, Scritch Tha Scratcha, Gettin A Grip, etc. But those up there are my favorites and what I rode out to the most. While I respect that blog you posted, his praise of recent Rich The Factor material is bizarre as I think the dude has been pretty unlistenable for several years now.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

i like corporate tunnel 2

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Yea, Rich has been putting out too much lately to keep the average fan's attention, but when he is on (which is like 2 or 3 out of 10 songs per album right now), he is still a monster. Scrill or Be Scrilled and Commercial vs Underground were both really really solid. Scrill or Be Scrilled 2 is waiting to be unzipped. Srilla Spree was kinda dope too.

How dope is the new Ampichino by the way. Damn it.

ANU

Post by ANU »

new ampichino owns this thread

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »