:leon:

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Re: Albums You Passionately* Loathe That Everyone Jizzes Ove

Post by Philaflava »

bignormy wrote:
D. James wrote:One Day It'll All Make Sense
Liked it at the time but I see you and raise you like water for chocolate
I'll raise you the entire Common catalog. Whiny, wimpy, nasally confused faggot making Dilla-light music from female athletes and lesbians worldwide.

jazzmatazz23

Post by jazzmatazz23 »

hellriser wrote:i forgot about this:

can somebody explain what is so good about mot? - to me its nowhere good as hard to earn or daily operation i like some songs but cang get trough it.....
This CD has 20 songs and 15 of them are good. One of the best produced albums ever from start to finish

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

Philaflava wrote:
bignormy wrote:
I'll raise you the entire Common catalog. Whiny, wimpy, nasally confused faggot making Dilla-light music from female athletes and lesbians worldwide.

:bow: :bow:

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

hellriser wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
bignormy wrote:

:bow: :bow:
:ohsh: :rofl: :ohsh:

:killacam:

timeless :copy:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Yeah Common has a few highlights and some really nice guest spots, but his albums don't do it for me. Plus he seems so contrived and unlikable these days.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

As far as common is concerned, I find it hard to listen to any of his music now cause he's become such an unbelievable cornball but "Ressurrection" was pretty great though.

step one

Post by step one »

Still not getting the Common hate on here when some seriously corny shit (at both of ends of the rap spectrum) gets praised. Havent heard the last 2 albums but the others all have at least a few tracks worth checking for and 'Be' is pretty great all the way through.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Req

Post by Req »

Resurrection, One Day, LWFC and Be are all very good albums IMO.
F.U. MOOLAH

GhostDog

Post by GhostDog »

Mentioning the Black Star album or Black on Both Sides in this thread is blasphemous, but that's just me. :lol:

Here's one album that comes to mind.

Loathe maybe too strong of a word, but I thought this album was extremely over-rated.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Philaflava wrote:
bignormy wrote:
The fact that Common has morphed into a loathsome rapper/individual aside...are you not an avid Atmosphere fan?

If I'm confusing you with someone else, then forget I said anything. Otherwise, I need an explanation of why one light-complexioned rappers nasal whining is so unpalatable to you and the other's not so much.

Especially since Com was getting some great production back then.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

Blockhead wrote:As far as common is concerned, I find it hard to listen to any of his music now cause he's become such an unbelievable cornball but "Ressurrection" was pretty great though.
I agree. Resurrection is largely absent of everything that made him insufferable (except, of course, the very end of "I Used to Love H.E.R." where he feels compelled to explain his obvious metaphor) and really sounds like the personal crisis of a man at absolute rock bottom. It's one of those albums that captures a snapshot of an artist at their most interesting, in this case at a time when Common seemed completely unaware of what his strengths were and just venting.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Re: Common - I think resurrection has some solid/amazing songs on it, but it gets really redundant and boring. I always found One Day It Will All Make Sense the perfect common record, not that its a perfect record, but more it was the perfect blend of everything that made up common.

Re: Gangstarr - I enjoyed Moment of Truth quite a bit when it came out but I see no reason to revisit it. Also Step In The Arena is easily the best Gangstarr album and probably one of the top 15 albums ever.

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

emp hit the nail on the head in the first post for me.

when 3030 came out i was a huge del fan. i was anticipating the fuck out of it. huge let down. everyone was jocking it so hard, but i thought "both sides of the brain" shit on it, and only came out like 6 months before that or something. deltron seemed goofy(er) and clumsy compared to his previous albums and i've never been able to get into del again since. i will not trust the opinion of anyone who tells me they love deltron 3030.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
bignormy wrote:
The fact that Common has morphed into a loathsome rapper/individual aside...are you not an avid Atmosphere fan?

If I'm confusing you with someone else, then forget I said anything. Otherwise, I need an explanation of why one light-complexioned rappers nasal whining is so unpalatable to you and the other's not so much.

Especially since Com was getting some great production back then.

I really don't know how to respond to this. To put it bluntly, Common has come off like an insufferable and unlikable douchebag for the longest time. He makes bad music. His first album was a bunt single, his second was a triple and all his others have either been a bloop single or fielder's choice and most recently he's been grounding into a lot of DPs.

step one

Post by step one »

^^ and yet despite all this he still makes more interesting and memorable records than The Roots.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Philaflava wrote:I'll raise you the entire Common catalog.
No.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

step one

Post by step one »

Some people think this is a classic album. It isnt.

Of the 2 Em albums I've heard all the way through I prefer the Slim Shady LP.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

step one wrote:^^ and yet despite all this he still makes more interesting and memorable records than The Roots.
Not even a lonely borker like you believes this.

step one

Post by step one »

The Roots have been churning out the same shit for 2 decades now - its not terrible but its also far from mind blowing. Common has his share of wack records but at least he tries some different shit now and again. Put their 10 best tracks up against each other and Common wins easily.
Also, the Extra P remix of Resurrection is better than anything in The Roots whole catalogue.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

You aren't listening to The Roots if you think they don't try "different shit." That's all they do now. And nobody is disputing 1994 Common.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Philaflava wrote:You aren't listening to The Roots if you think they don't try "different shit." That's all they do now. And nobody is disputing 1994 Common.
You literally said the whole entire catalog. I know, its you "schtick" :pause: but c'mon man........
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

ardamus wrote:
Philaflava wrote:You aren't listening to The Roots if you think they don't try "different shit." That's all they do now. And nobody is disputing 1994 Common.
You literally said the whole entire catalog. I know, its you "schtick" :pause: but c'mon man........
Do I really have to dissect this? Common, as a rapper, was very good in the mid 90s. I just do not like him as a rapper or person today, which means, his music is very difficult to listen to.

I find him extremely unlikable as do most on here (so it seems). He just doesn't make music I care to listen to. His albums post Resurrection either failed miserably or have not aged well. I just don't need to hear him whine over Dilla beats or get all giddy over Pharrell tracks these days. I do not care.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Speaking of the Roots, I certainly don't loathe them or doubt their talents, but that's a group I actively never listen to. They bore the shit out of me.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Blockhead wrote:Speaking of the Roots, I certainly don't loathe them or doubt their talents, but that's a group I actively never listen to. They bore the shit out of me.
I actually just busted out Do You Want More, it holds up pretty well. Illadelph Halflife to me is the epitome of roots boringness. everything else is the 5-6 great songs filled in with a lot of filler.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

ALASKA wrote:
Blockhead wrote:Speaking of the Roots, I certainly don't loathe them or doubt their talents, but that's a group I actively never listen to. They bore the shit out of me.
I actually just busted out Do You Want More, it holds up pretty well. Illadelph Halflife to me is the epitome of roots boringness. everything else is the 5-6 great songs filled in with a lot of filler.
I never even got into "Do you want more?!". i mean, Black thought is undeniably a great rapper. They just never made anything that stuck with me.

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

i like game theory

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Philaflava wrote:
ardamus wrote:
Do I really have to dissect this? Common, as a rapper, was very good in the mid 90s. I just do not like him as a rapper or person today, which means, his music is very difficult to listen to.

I find him extremely unlikable as do most on here (so it seems). He just doesn't make music I care to listen to. His albums post Resurrection either failed miserably or have not aged well. I just don't need to hear him whine over Dilla beats or get all giddy over Pharrell tracks these days. I do not care.
Those goalposts moved swiftly. You are still wrong though because "One Day It Will All Make Sense" is at worst a very good album by any objective measure.

And not being bored by The Roots is fine, I like them and I find that completely understandable. Saying they have been "churning out the same shit" is basically admitting you have no idea what their albums sound like post-Phrenology.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
ardamus wrote:

Those goalposts moved swiftly. You are still wrong though because "One Day It Will All Make Sense" is at worst a very good album by any objective measure.

And not being bored by The Roots is fine, I like them and I find that completely understandable. Saying they have been "churning out the same shit" is basically admitting you have no idea what their albums sound like post-Phrenology.
One Day was a good album that I don't think aged well. I could do without the jazzy R&B collabos. It's kind of embarrassing to even listen to anything with Canibus on it so the only collabos I'd care to revisit would be Stolen Moments 2 & 3. After the first 3-4 tracks I wouldn't be able to stomach it.

To your 2nd part, RIF.

alpha

Post by alpha »

thread makes me hate all of you.