New Kanye Rant; Yeezus Album

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

The Rapping Coffin

Re: New Kanye Rant; Yeezus Album

Post by The Rapping Coffin »

Employee wrote:
The Rapping Coffin wrote:
Employee wrote:LOL @ the Rick Rubin backlash.

Which of the Linkin Park and Kid Rock albums of the last few years were your favorites? Or did you like the last Josh Groban and Metallica albums?
The question is irrelevant as you spent your formative years with his musical dick in your throat.
You are one of the weirdest, lamest middle aged man on the planet.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

After a few listens, I fux with this.

PEACE

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

There's something arrogant as hell about not being bothered to adorn your CD packaging with anything more than some translucent stickers. Not surprised this "artiste" fuck Kanye West is pulling something like that.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Employee wrote:
Employee wrote:LOL @ the Rick Rubin backlash.

Which of the Linkin Park and Kid Rock albums of the last few years were your favorites? Or did you like the last Josh Groban and Metallica albums?
The question is irrelevant as you spent your formative years with his musical dick in your throat.
You are one of the weirdest, lamest middle aged man on the planet.
Thanks for the compliment.

Willie B

Post by Willie B »

Blockhead wrote:Someone wanna pm me a link to this crap?

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Combo7 wrote:There's something arrogant as hell about not being bothered to adorn your CD packaging with anything more than some translucent stickers. Not surprised this "artiste" fuck Kanye West is pulling something like that.
You clearly don't understand minimalism or anything French, bro.

This is the razor's edge of music.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

DLG wrote:black skinhead is kanye rapping over a loop of the Marilyn Manson - Beautiful People intro pretty much

edgy
it's not even the same drums. like when my homeboy claimed that el-p sampled "smack my bitch up" on the cancer for cure intro track.
different drums. similar patterns.

people hand-picking rick rubin's work with linkin park as if dude never worked with the mars volta.
and rubin didn't even produce any beats.

haters are gonna have a reason to complain either way it goes. this is the internet, land of anonymous complaining from a safe place.
i still haven't listened to all of the album.

if people really need a link, you can PM me if your twitter search skills aren't up to par.

HomieDontPlayDat

Post by HomieDontPlayDat »

Last edited by HomieDontPlayDat on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kalel wrote:I know a thing or two about fine ass pinot noirs

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I think people are overreacting on both sides. It's not terrible but it's not amazing. He does some interesting production shit and also does some typical masturbatory Kanye shit. He's trying new musical angles but anyone who's listened to any sort of less than mainstream music shouldn't be acting like the dude is taking the game to the next level. His rapping is still his rapping. If you like him, you'll like it. If not, this won't change your mind. I actually don't mind kanye as a rapper so I enjoyed it on that level. Still with the autotune though?
From a simple "enjoyment of the music" perspective, I can't say I see myself giving this much run. It's overly abrasive at times and syrupy at others. The abrasive parts, at least imo, come off as him trying too hard to push rap boundaries. The songs are better in theory than as actual pieces of music I'd wanna listen to over and over again.

also, the drums on Black skinhead are clearly a tip of the hat to the gawd Gary Glitter.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Blockhead wrote:He's trying new musical angles
:larry:

Do the new angles he's trying have loose butt holes?

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Employee wrote:
Blockhead wrote:He's trying new musical angles
:larry:

Do the new angles he's trying have loose butt holes?
Not sure but they probably listen to the loose butthole surfers.

DLG

Post by DLG »

the biggest problem with the whole concept is the juxtaposition of production that tries to be "pushing boundaries" with the lyrics and general rapping that's as banal as ever.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

DLG wrote:the biggest problem with the whole concept is the juxtaposition of production that tries to be "pushing boundaries" with the lyrics and general rapping that's as banal as ever.
How should he be advancing the "general rapping" and what subject matter would he cover in his lyricism that you would deem revolutionary?

DLG

Post by DLG »

I'm saying that if you take the concept of "new slaves" and the minimalist "weird" production you are expecting some saul williams shit not "I'd rather be a dick than a swallower"

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Yeah, but that has always been him. I'm a fan of him as a rapper as well, and I almost kind of appreciate the fact that despite the new production style or direction he remains the same cornball.

Listened to this once through, pretty entertaining, I liked most of it, have to give it more listens. The autotune on Blood on the Leaves is atrocious though.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

If you are expecting Kanye to be able to write anything remotely near the level of Saul Williams, thats on you

PEACE

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Pretty much, he will always be a "Mayonnaise colored Benz, I push Miracle Whips" ass type rapper.

DLG

Post by DLG »

yeah, that's probably why he would probably make better albums just staying in his lane.

either way, looking forward to the inevitable bjork collab on the next album.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Blockhead wrote: Still with the autotune though?
as long as people jerk off to Future this isn't going anywhere
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

I like this approach way better than MBDTF. 808 drums and acid bass > stadium rap. He still can't quite get out his own way though, but I guess that's what makes him Kanye.
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

The Ivy League Nigga

Post by The Ivy League Nigga »

I reserve the right to change my opinion upon further listens, but...

Half way through and this shit is atrocious.

The first three songs (On Sight, I am God, Black Skinhead) really set the tone of horribleness.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Does anyone else think Blood on the Leaves is a lot like Love Lockdown? Overall, whole thing is a lot like 808s
Last edited by Matthew on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Typical leak hyperbole. Shit is horrendous to shit is actually really good in a matter of 2 weeks. Let's just call it what it is, average across the board.

The Ivy League Nigga

Post by The Ivy League Nigga »

Kony Montana wrote:I like this approach way better than MBDTF. 808 drums and acid bass > stadium rap.
Couldn't disagree more. MBDTF had real thematic cohesion and some amazing production. Really accesible.

This shit is the worst of Kanye, rambling self-promotional, quasi artsy-fartsy, fashion show rap.

He def didn't follow through on the promise of New Slaves and Black Skinhead in terms of an overall concept.

Panama

Post by Panama »

peanut butter wrote:If you are expecting Kanye to be able to write anything remotely near the level of Saul Williams, thats on you

PEACE

:leon:

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

The Ivy League Nigga wrote:
Kony Montana wrote:I like this approach way better than MBDTF. 808 drums and acid bass > stadium rap.
Couldn't disagree more. MBDTF had real thematic cohesion and some amazing production.Really accesible.

This shit is the worst of Kanye, rambling self-promotional, quasi artsy-fartsy, fashion show rap.

He def didn't follow through on the promise of New Slaves and Black Skinhead in terms of an overall concept.
I like the bare bones, blown-out style of production over that accessibility, but I guess that's just personal preference. If Kanye isn't going to have fun anymore, I'd rather he do it over this kinda stuff than U2s drum set.

Lyrically I guess this is what I've come to expect since the taylor swift thing. I've long given up putting stock into what he's actually saying for the most part. You get the occasional "I just talked to Jesus" line, but apart from that he stays in one lane. He doesn't have any managers to rap about assaulting anymore, so he raps about fucking models in cars and how hard it is to be famous. It is hilarious that he chose to put those two songs out as the first thing to represent the album, and then wound up putting out a pretty middling product in the end. That's what you can expect from a dude who names his album Yeezus, I guess.
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

drizzle wrote:
Blockhead wrote: Still with the autotune though?
as long as people jerk off to Future this isn't going anywhere

and this is why we can't. fucking. have. nice. THINGS.

Autotune is so fucking played out, it's uncategorizable. Nothing is more :roper:

Kanye makes me SMFH every fucking time I hear him use the shit. Still.

It's been like THREE ALBUMS, dawg. GTFOH WTS :arrow:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

First song is terrible, that overloading shit is not pleasing to the ears at all.

next 4 tracks are cool, new slaves is my favourite of those ones.

"I'm in it" has some nas level cringe worthy sex lines, but overall a good song

"blood on the leaves" is dooooope. feeling this one a lot. favorite song.

last three songs are nice.

Album starts off slow but the last half is good shit.

musically this is minimalist like 808's.
lots of reggae influence on the hooks.

i'm not mad at this. 7/10

Pronay

Post by Pronay »

Well Bound 2 is cool. I like half of two other songs. At least it was an interesting listen-through

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

Balzac wrote:First song is terrible, that overloading shit is not pleasing to the ears at all.

being familiar with Death Grips (blahh) and Sleigh Bells (i dig) and even Merzbow (no thanks), this first track wasn't all that bad,
but the ktt kids that got their hands on the first leak were confused. like "it sounds like crap" to "well, the first track is messed up but the rest is okay".
i noticed that his vocals were clear in the mix, so i pretty much chalked it up to being an intentionally rough start for the album.