Jay-Z - Magna Carta Holy Grail

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Re: Jay-Z - Magna Carta Holy Grail

Post by Trademark »

Better than Yeezus. JT does do well, Holy Grail F.U.T.W. are my favorite tracks.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Something weird happened. I'm either getting old and complacent or this no meat diet is fucking with my mind but I've started enjoying this album. To the point I've listened to it front to back twice now.

The raps are atrocious, for the most part. But I like the sequencing and believe it or not I am digging all the singing hooks by JT and Bey. Heaven is still my fav track. Damn this is a a good 30+ something white folk rap album I think. An enjoyable car album if you have it in the background while carrying a conversation. Once I get a steak in me this all may change though.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Beats are off the chain. If you're zoning out and not paying attention you will enjoy.

But Jay is horrendous on this. Very hard to listen to. Only Heaven is bringing it.

Shiftshock

Post by Shiftshock »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
DLG wrote:Image

this is why my hope is so low for the hip hop audience these days :fail:

"JAY-ZEE RHYMED 'PICASSO' WITH 'CASTLE'?! WOWW DATS LYRICAL GENIOUS" :bow:

:wtf: :bunk: :arrow:
LMFAO @ those tweets lol lol lol
holy shit

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

solid production. the second half of picasso baby is the best beat and verse on the album imo. first half of album is much stronger than the second. heaven, picasso baby, fuckwitmeyouknowigotit, some of the interludes and FUTW are the standouts to me. probably repeating what many others have already said but jay's flow, references and lyrics are really lazy on most tracks. this album is stronger than bp3 and american gangster but its barely better than AG.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertain ... story.html
And now who would want to be either? Throughout “Magna Carta,” the 43-year-old pretends he’s a threat to a system he’s so eagerly become a part of, as if his life as a champion capitalist is some perpetually escalating act of subversion. Hooray? Rooting for this man in 2013 is like rooting for Pfizer. Or PepsiCo. Or PRISM.

Plus, all of this Samsung hullabaloo has only distracted listeners from the fact that, musically and lyrically, “Magna Carta” is one of Jay-Z’s blandest offerings. Over 16 joylessly professional tracks, our hero laces up his sneakers for his bazillion-thousandth victory lap around the hip-hop universe. There’s no mood, no verve, no vision to this music. It’s the sound of champagne being sprayed around an empty locker room.

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

that review pretty much sums it up

Versive

Post by Versive »

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/chocolate-g ... -jay-z-dp3

Wherein I acknowledge the elephant in the room, why the song wasn't called Dead Presidents 3

(in a website section called Chocolate Grinder, ironically enough)

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

dp3 is old
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:jay-z is old

PEACE

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

Versive wrote:http://www.tinymixtapes.com/chocolate-g ... -jay-z-dp3
This song’s great: Jay-Z bedded Foxy Brown; now he’s touching butts with Beyonce; and in all likelihood I’m going to die alone, having never tapped either songstress or stacked many dead presidents for that matter.
I never stuck my cock in the fox's box

Versive

Post by Versive »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:dp3 is old
So what you're saying is the gay black masonic conspirators have unlocked the secrets of time travel now too... Great

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Mindbender Futurama writing under nom-de-plume Jason Whitlock wrote:Jay-Z is the holy grail of n*gga rap, the proper name for the genre of music that made Shawn Carter one of our president’s best friends. Oh, I’m sure that’s upsetting and disconcerting for some of you to read. You’d prefer I label the Jigga Man a gangsta rapper. He isn’t. He’s a n*gga rapper. Listen to his music.

On Magna Carta’s opening track, a song dominated by Timberlake’s singing, Jay-Z pops in just enough to rattle off n*gga eight times. He’s perfected the art form of repeatedly saying the N-word over slickly produced musical beats while telling stories about fame, fortune, family and a former life of crime.

Jay-Z’s music is a Cosby Show-New Jack City-MTV Cribs mashup narrated by Django Unchained house slave Stephen.

Jay-Z’s success and his exalted status in the black community speak to the power of our self-hatred, delusional ignorance and unwillingness to learn from our history.

There’s always been a comfy bed, a pretty belly-warmer and a bright spotlight at the big house for the black performer willing to entertain the masses with n*gga tales.

Jay-Z is not slang for Jesus. Hova is no one’s savior. He’s a new-millennium Stephen. He’s highly compensated to spin catchy fairy tales that promote the self-destructive notion that the path out of black American poverty and into the American Dream is through the drug trade and criminality.

Our political system — on the right and left — is so bankrupt of ethics that President Obama has zero shame about embracing the king of black-denigration music.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/jay- ... rts-070913

PEACE

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

peanut butter wrote:He’s a new-millennium Stephen.
:rofl:

Whitlock also said, immediately after Newtown, that more NFL players owning guns will result in a skyrocketing murder rate.

That review is accurate in its assessment of the shit tunes, but as to everything else, Mr. Whitlock is projecting his own feelings of inadequacy onto the green screen that is Jay(son)-Z.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

lol for fucks sake he took it in front of hte basquiat
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Panama

Post by Panama »

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Good review actually. Nice bandana, b.

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

Larry2times wrote:jay is using his twitter/his twitter got hacked
https://twitter.com/S_C_/with_replies

people are asking him questions
There is no fucking way Jay-z spent 6 hours personally responding to people on twitter.
I <3 Employee.

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

ric

Post by ric »

@employee
so sorry. JT murders it on holy grail which is top 3/1 song on the album
ALASKA wrote:any album that has mirrors on it cannot be the album of the year....unless you are talking about the best album to make every experience 21% less enjoyable.
off topic and shit but whatever

so sorry. totally disagree. mirrors is dope but is actually not even the best stuff on the album. whole album is super quality.

back on topic

jay z (and kanye to a lesser extent (i liked a bunch of yeezus and consider it fairly quality)) is raking it in off the fact that hes really the only big game around in a time chock-full of independents and highly fractured marketing. about 50% of magna carta is truly sweet beats. about 10-15% is acceptable rapping/vocal appearance. if this is lyrical genius; comedy quaddaffi is a lyrical super genius

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Myjah wrote:
Larry2times wrote:jay is using his twitter/his twitter got hacked
https://twitter.com/S_C_/with_replies

people are asking him questions
There is no fucking way Jay-z spent 6 hours personally responding to people on twitter.
if you actually read it though, then you might :spidey: that it IS Hov. The responses are short, snarky and pretty funny

plus if some OTHER person has access to Jay-Z's twitter and has the power to allow Young Guru to FINALLY leak Dead Presidents 3, then... PEACE TO BIGGIE SMALL'S GHOST :rofl:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

i dunnnnnnooooo i think jay-z's KINGDOM COME has grown on me the most of his recent albums and i believe its highly underrated , i never got into american gangster or BP3, just a couple tracks here and there, Kingdom Come and this new album are quality, i think kingdom come might have this beat though

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

riaa changed certification rules and jay-z is platinum off samsung alone

angie martinez and jay just chatting about that and other things:

Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

and that was really him on twitter
Nets 2022

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Reason wrote:and that was really him on twitter
:larry: + LOL @ your gullibility.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Neuro wrote:i dunnnnnnooooo i think jay-z's KINGDOM COME has grown on me the most of his recent albums and i believe its highly underrated , i never got into american gangster or BP3, just a couple tracks here and there, Kingdom Come and this new album are quality, i think kingdom come might have this beat though
'Kingdom Come' was a successful failure and had Jay-Z in a more respectable zone of maturity than he is on 'MCHG'

I can't lie, that song 'Hollywood' is a guilty pleasure of mine. Jay-Z and Beyonce make good music together sometimes.

And sometimes, they don't.

I think it's possible that Drake's next album outsells Jay-Z's newest joint without a milli boost from Samsung :copy:

that being said: I thought it was pretty :ohsh: :copy: for Jay-Z to start a verse off with his jewelry jingling, baby :cas:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DLG

Post by DLG »

step one

Post by step one »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
I think it's possible that Drake's next album outsells Jay-Z's newest joint without a milli boost from Samsung :copy:
Cant really compare the 2 imo. One is an established rapper with a shit load of classics to his name.
The other is a teen pin-up faggot. Drake is the white Bieber but with less fans and talent (based on that vid of Bieber rapping at some radio station he can spit better than Drake for starters. He wasnt reading the shit off his Blackberry as far as I remember)
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com