the Ka thread

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Versive

Re: Ka - Cold Fact (video)

Post by Versive »

Yo, anybody know what he's saying at the end of the couplet starting at 1:05?

This wizardry delivered me the flyest fruit
What I summon have 'em dumbin' like a cauldron in some ___

Sounds like eye-a-noot... Iron youth? Can't call it.

Ned Ryerson
Location: with my helmet on you can't tell me i'm not in space.

Post by Ned Ryerson »

Versive wrote:Yo, anybody know what he's saying at the end of the couplet starting at 1:05?

This wizardry delivered me the flyest fruit
What I summon have 'em dumbin' like a cauldron in some ___

Sounds like eye-a-noot... Iron youth? Can't call it.
i think it's "eye of newt" like he's making a witch's brew

Versive

Post by Versive »

Yea, that's prolly it. A Macbeth reference? Dope

Ned Ryerson
Location: with my helmet on you can't tell me i'm not in space.

Post by Ned Ryerson »

yep. wasn't sure about the beat at first but it's grown on me. can't wait for the new album. any word on when the metal clergy record's coming out?

truconfidence

Post by truconfidence »

I think what makes the beat work especially for me is that it gives a feel of like a game show music portraying ticking time or thinking time to make a decision. Fits so perfectly with the song's subject.

DLG

Post by DLG »

his lyrics are so on point that he can pretty much rap over the sound of a washing machine and it would be dope

I like the beat though too, but it did catch me off guard the first time I heard it.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

and outta nowhere...

Ka's facebook:
"I'll be out in front of the old Fatbeats store in NYC (6th Ave. between 8th and 9th Streets) on 7/13 from 2pm to 5pm selling my new album, The Night's Gambit. I'll have CDs and vinyl."

i'm impressed that he already has vinyl and wax pressed on an album I had no idea was dropping this year.
i guess he didn't want to do the video promo route this time.

Verge

Post by Verge »

:cheers:

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Good, good shit...

The ILLatino

Post by The ILLatino »

Can't wait for this.
http://www.twitter.com/the_illatino

RIP Josh
Galvatron78 wrote:I wanna put my head up Irina's skirt and say a Das Efx verse.

Verge

Post by Verge »

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

^^^^
fucking ill

album is on itunes.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

That vid/song is ridiculous.

Listening to the album right now, "Peace Akhi" is :ohsh:

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

unclebengi wrote:That vid/song is ridiculous.

Listening to the album right now, "Peace Akhi" is :ohsh:
How is it so far? Loved the two tracks he's released so far. I'm about to buy it now.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Damn can't wait

Vlad Analogue

Post by Vlad Analogue »

Philaflava wrote:Damn can't wait

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Ya'll know it's available now right?- https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-n ... d673197535

Dude might have outdone himself...Beat game stepped up big time, and I loved the beats on Grief Pedigree but there's more depth here. Play this album LOUD. Doesn't have the variety of Grief, but the beats and lyrics feel more hypnotic and thematic if that's possible. Grief had so much staying power that I really have to wait a while to truly compare them, but this is most definitely a worthy followup.

"Nothing Is", "Peace Akhi", "30 Pieces of Silver", and "Off the Record" are my joints right now.

PopsUK

Post by PopsUK »

Went and copped this from Ka himself today outside the old Fat Beats... going to give it a proper listen tomorrow. Ka was the most down to earth, humble, engaging guy you could ever meet, and went out of his way to talk to everyone, ask them their name, and genuinely thank them for their support. Pretty great way to release an underground hiphop album in 2013.

Vlad Analogue

Post by Vlad Analogue »

unclebengi wrote:Ya'll know it's available now right?- https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-n ... d673197535

Dude might have outdone himself...Beat game stepped up big time, and I loved the beats on Grief Pedigree but there's more depth here. Play this album LOUD. Doesn't have the variety of Grief, but the beats and lyrics feel more hypnotic and thematic if that's possible. Grief had so much staying power that I really have to wait a while to truly compare them, but this is most definitely a worthy followup.

"Nothing Is", "Peace Akhi", "30 Pieces of Silver", and "Off the Record" are my joints right now.

I want to grab that vinyl. Wasn't physically up to drive down to the city today to cop

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

waiting for that link..i'll cop it in a month or so when i do some binge music buying

Verge

Post by Verge »

PopsUK wrote:Went and copped this from Ka himself today outside the old Fat Beats... going to give it a proper listen tomorrow. Ka was the most down to earth, humble, engaging guy you could ever meet, and went out of his way to talk to everyone, ask them their name, and genuinely thank them for their support. Pretty great way to release an underground hiphop album in 2013.
Nice. I was contemplating going but them rains were no joke.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

Not sure I like it as much as Grief Pedigree, but it's still excellent.

High point for me is definitely "30 Pieces of Silver." I do agree that the production took a step forward (not a surprise at all considering how much he stepped his game up from Iron Works to Grief Pedigree), but I actually think his voice fits better on the more stripped down shit. So it's kind of like subtraction by addition for me a little bit. But that's just being picky. Album is great.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PopsUK

Post by PopsUK »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:Not sure I like it as much as Grief Pedigree, but it's still excellent.

High point for me is definitely "30 Pieces of Silver." I do agree that the production took a step forward (not a surprise at all considering how much he stepped his game up from Iron Works to Grief Pedigree), but I actually think his voice fits better on the more stripped down shit. So it's kind of like subtraction by addition for me a little bit. But that's just being picky. Album is great.
It's funny - that's pretty much what I told him yesterday, with regard to him being suited to stripped down and sparse production. I told him that's why I like Iron Works so much, and he said that he went for a more grimy sound on that first album and that a lot of people don't like Iron Works because the production.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

The last one got a lot of play and I'm sure this one will too. But yeah, I think his lyrics stand out more on the more minimal type beats as well.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Nice surprise. Had no idea he was making a new album.

Only listened twice, but this is a great album. Ka pretty much nails the type of rap music I like to listen to these days.

Only complaint is having to purchase music through iTunes.

ian e

Post by ian e »

its on amazon as well.

sounds f-in great.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

PopsUK wrote:
B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:Not sure I like it as much as Grief Pedigree, but it's still excellent.

It's funny - that's pretty much what I told him yesterday, with regard to him being suited to stripped down and sparse production. I told him that's why I like Iron Works so much, and he said that he went for a more grimy sound on that first album and that a lot of people don't like Iron Works because the production.
yeah, I like Iron Works, but definitely think Grief Pedigree is pretty much a perfect lane for him production-wise, and would agree with those that feel sometimes the lack of production skill hurt Iron Works a bit. That said, having listened to this about a dozen times now, I'd say that the fuller beats fit him well. It's just that you have to work a little harder to focus in on the lyrics. His voice doesn't stand out as well behind lusher beats, but it doesn't sound bad. There's still plenty of sparse gems on here too. I think it's possible after a while that I'll prefer it to Grief Pedigree. Really, really good.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
PopsUK wrote:

yeah, I like Iron Works, but definitely think Grief Pedigree is pretty much a perfect lane for him production-wise, and would agree with those that feel sometimes the lack of production skill hurt Iron Works a bit. That said, having listened to this about a dozen times now, I'd say that the fuller beats fit him well. It's just that you have to work a little harder to focus in on the lyrics. His voice doesn't stand out as well behind lusher beats, but it doesn't sound bad. There's still plenty of sparse gems on here too. I think it's possible after a while that I'll prefer it to Grief Pedigree. Really, really good.
You listened to this a dozen times already? Didn't he just release it the other day?

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

it's on spotify now.