Earl Sweatshirt

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Employee
Fast Eddie

Re: Earl Sweatshirt - Doris

Post by Employee »

Weak ass beat too; he needs some new production.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

shut up

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Balzac wrote:shut up
The beat is not good, the raps are "meh."

But, really, that beat is ass.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Balzac wrote:shut up
Regardless of if he likes it or not, like any thread that gets responses he's merely coming in to troll for attention. Just ignore it. :cheers:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

emp does plenty of trolling but not immediately agreeing with public consensus on a song =/= trolling

I actually agree with him somewhat, the beat is pretty boring. Raps are good but this isn't really blowing my mind as hard as it seems to be for the rest of you
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

drizzle wrote:but not immediately agreeing with public consensus on a song =/= trolling
Obviously, but nobody actually believes that if everyone was saying the song was garbage he wouldn't be multi-posting singing its praises.

In any case, as for shit that matters, this shit definitely isn't going to change anyone's mind about Earl. It has all the marks of what people who like his music really like about his music, and all the marks of what people who don't like his music don't like about his music. IMO it's him doing what he does well, and I don't think it would make sense for him to change that up quite yet.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

drizzle wrote:emp does plenty of trolling but not immediately agreeing with public consensus on a song =/= trolling

I actually agree with him somewhat, the beat is pretty boring. Raps are good but this isn't really blowing my mind as hard as it seems to be for the rest of you
:cheers:

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:Can someone point me in the direction of a really dope Vince Staples song or two?
He dropped a dope, FREE album about a month ago that was way better than it had any right to be (especially considering it was produced by Mac Miller and has a couple Mac Miller features). It has verses from Schoolboy Q and Ab-Soul too though and Vince crushes it. Dude raps a lot older than he is.

http://www.thefader.com/2013/06/20/down ... len-youth/

here's a stand out song-

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

i really dig the video itself. the song is dope, but i paid more attention due to the visuals. well executed.

Sebastion Shaw

Post by Sebastion Shaw »

Excellence and this will probably be album of the year for me.

Hoping the lil guy don't let us down :owens:

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Minimalist production is were it's at. Every beat doesn't have to sound like a nascar race driving through a wind chime factory.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

drizzle wrote: isn't really blowing my mind as hard as it seems to be for the rest of you
i don't think he's blowing our minds, well i can't speak for everyone, not blowing mine

but he's fulfilling his expectations, and since his are high, it makes for lots of :cheer: and shit
Nets 2022

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Reason wrote:but he's fulfilling his expectations
:larry:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Employee wrote:

i genuinely think it's reasonable to expect more than this from him

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

i think the beat is dope & so is vince staples. earl kinda boring tho

Julius Seizure

Post by Julius Seizure »

beat stays out of the way of the rappers, which makes sense in this case.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

listening through earl's catalog, you won't find many busy beats.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

drizzle wrote:
Employee wrote:

i'm not sure what you want from earl b/c i can't read your mind

but if you are suggesting he should progress or move on musically or stylistically, etc., what do you want him to do anyway? rap over lush kanye-ish beats? change his monotone delivery?

i like earl for earl. he can progress on his own time. if he feels like doing what he's doing right now, i got no problem with it b/c it's the same earl i fell in love with, super yes homo

if this track came out when earl first came out when everyone including you and i were sucking his dick we wouldn't have said one single critical thing about it. but now that it came out after all that time has passed...you're disappointed? or not disappointed, but you say you expect more...i'm just not sure what you envision his "more" should be at this point...i still dig what he's doing now
Nets 2022

IsleOfWhites

Post by IsleOfWhites »

Employee wrote:Meh.
Were the hoodies in the vids giving you a bad Zimmer flashback?

Vid is dope as fuck. Best leak off of Doris so far.
drizzle wrote: if you showed this kind of excellent timing and gif selection every time nobody would ever give you shit

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

IsleOfWhites wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Reason wrote:
drizzle wrote:
Employee wrote:

but if you are suggesting he should progress or move on musically or stylistically, etc., what do you want him to do anyway? rap over lush kanye-ish beats? change his monotone delivery?

i like earl for earl. he can progress on his own time. if he feels like doing what he's doing right now, i got no problem with it b/c it's the same earl i fell in love with, super yes homo

if this track came out when earl first came out when everyone including you and i were sucking his dick we wouldn't have said one single critical thing about it. but now that it came out after all that time has passed...you're disappointed? or not disappointed, but you say you expect more...i'm just not sure what you envision his "more" should be at this point...i still dig what he's doing now
smh stop, it's unseemly. you're a grown man. it's just a song. you're putting this kid on a pedestal that you usually reserve for pussy and expensive sweaters.

i can't give you a specific rundown of bulletpoints of what would constitute 'more', if i knew shit like that i would be making music myself. but i do know that i've liked his rapping better on other songs, and i've heard him rhyme over better beats. that's really all there is to it. I don't hate this song at all.

there's a world of possibilities between a minimal beat and a 7 minute seagull sampling kanye opus with 4 drums solos.

it's entirely possible for a rapper to make a song that's good but not great

it's entirely possible to like a song without considering it as perfect, to want more from it, to want more from the artist.

i'm not sure why you're having a hard time with these basic concepts.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:I thought Staples damn near stole this from Earl. Earl was on point though, so maybe I just am surprised by Vince but dude destroyed it.
:leon:

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

earl needs to be more shocking. the monotone flow worked originally bc he was talking about raping and cannibalism and shit eating. and multis.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

IsleOfWhites wrote:

Vid is dope as fuck. Best leak off of Doris so far.
Post/screen name.

No, just an ass beat and mediocre raps.

Kace

Post by Kace »

COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:Maybe we are listening to different things but I thought Staples damn near stole this from Earl. Earl was on point though, so maybe I just am surprised by Vince but dude destroyed it.

Great track.
I agree, Vince's verse was better.
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

Thun

Post by Thun »

This is dope.

Thun

Post by Thun »

drizzle wrote:
Reason wrote:
drizzle wrote:
Employee wrote:

smh stop, it's unseemly. you're a grown man. it's just a song. you're putting this kid on a pedestal that you usually reserve for pussy and expensive sweaters.

i can't give you a specific rundown of bulletpoints of what would constitute 'more', if i knew shit like that i would be making music myself. but i do know that i've liked his rapping better on other songs, and i've heard him rhyme over better beats. that's really all there is to it. I don't hate this song at all.

there's a world of possibilities between a minimal beat and a 7 minute seagull sampling kanye opus with 4 drums solos.

it's entirely possible for a rapper to make a song that's good but not great

it's entirely possible to like a song without considering it as perfect, to want more from it, to want more from the artist.

i'm not sure why you're having a hard time with these basic concepts.
What the fuck are you even talking about?

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

i think tyler dropped the ball on not recruiting vince in OF. when i first heard the earl tape i kept forgetting that vince was a guest in epaR, because his voice has some similarities to earl's. and he has good flow.
the "shyne coldchain" mixtape had some good tracks. worth a listen. "winter in prague" wasn't as good.

DLG

Post by DLG »

AWAE

Post by AWAE »