Your Old Droog (Y.O.D.) - Nutty Bars

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Re: Your Old Droog (Y.O.D.) - Nutty Bars

Post by Blockhead »

Nas never sounded like G rap and G rap never sounded like LL. i don't care what russell Simmons thinks.

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

i have to agree with my fellow elderly, young block.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Blockhead wrote:Nas never sounded like G rap and G rap never sounded like LL. i don't care what russell Simmons thinks.
YEEEEEAH

Nas COULD sound like G Rap if he sorta wanted to, and thus, 'Fast Life', which is one of the best East Coast bangers EVER.

But Nas didn't sound "like G Rap" when he made records. Muhfuckas were buggin when they said that. It's just cause Nas was obviously a hardcore lyricist, and Kool G Rap is too, so people said they were similar. Laaaame.

Nas sounds like G Rap as much as Nas sounds like Jay-Z.

Kool G Rap never sounded like LL Cool J, either.

The only people who sounded like each other in those days were people from the same hood, same crew or same borough. Queensbridge rappers had similarities, Boot Camp Click rappers had similarities, Compton rappers had similarities, booty shaking Miami bass rappers had similarities and Wu-Tang rappers had similarities. But not to the degree we have nowadays with all the fuckin style biting that goes on. And NOBODY sounded like anybody else as much as YOD sounds like Nas. Back in the 90's, that kind of flow-cloning put you on the list of MCs like King Just trying to sound like Method Man, (and he never even got a sophomore LP out), or Y'All So Stupid trying to do what Pharcyde did, but they didn't last long either.

You know what? MIC GERONIMO kinda sounded and flowed like Nas and Rakim. And he didn't last long, even though he was a dope fucking MC.

Ninjas are fucking crazy, and rap is out of control.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

Blockhead wrote:i don't care what russell Simmons thinks.
that's why you never made it.

shouldn't have to post this. but it's obvious that g rap hadn't fully developed his own flow at this early stage in his career. he sounds like other dudes of the time including LL, but clearly has the g rap sound already budding.

but on the 'demo' version you catch him sounding even more like LL etc. lotta rappers flowed like this just using LL as my go to example. not just the flow but the voice too sounds more distinctive -- more characteristic of what we think of g rap -- in the later version than this original one.

nas sounding like g rap isn't something i necessarily cosigned, but i'll throw this out there:

influence is something that always happens. but it's not the same thing as deliberate, persistent imitation. imo droog is leaning more towards the former, while bronson is most def doing the latter.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Hey young person, I'm well aware of those songs and, even more, had a chance to hear them when they came out within the context of the era. Influence is indeed gonna happen (especially in an era when there weren't THAT many rappers) but, straight up, they didn't sound alike. Stop it.
In the case of droog, his voice is so similar to nas's that I find myself questioning my own staunch "it's not Nas!" stance. So I understand the confusion and "uproar" in his case.

grass

Post by grass »

Li'l Fame does a pretty good G Rap impression on The Hill That's Real EP.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s7WR7Mjlqs[/youtube]
Fuck that Serato MP3 shit! Keep it dusty!!!

jazzmatazz23

Post by jazzmatazz23 »

A couple of songs that this guy does sound extremely similar to Nas. After a few listens you pick up on all the differences, but impressive if that was his intention.

Best song I heard so far :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8iSo2OCKvA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DJCommunist

Post by DJCommunist »

these two sound amazing together

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

game's nas impression >>>

1. Nas
2. Drake

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

style biting = :roper:

always and forever :copy:

UNLESS YOU'RE DOING KAREOKE :liljon:
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

that on the news joint is chill tho. i agree with what someone said earlier that besides the voice he's not rly soundin like nas.
1. Nas
2. Drake

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

another amazing song

another amazing Nas chomp

this is more of a problem than Shyne naturally sounding like Biggie

RAP IS OUTTA CONTROL

step one

Post by step one »

Your opinions on Rap music are null and void. Stick to getting moist over Drake and gossiping about Kanye & 50
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

you didn't even talk about Droog. how much more on my nuts could you be, stepchild? :fail:

fuck yourself off.

ANYWAYS:

YO, are any of you NYCers going to actually GO to the fucking debut concert??? please don't play :smugkid: and act like you're too cool for that shit now

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I was thinking about going but literally not a single person I know wants to go with me so thats taking some wind out of my sail. It makes sense though , as most dudes in their late 30's (myself included) are not really hyped about going to rap shows.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

I might go actually.

If you for somehow recognize me but we've never met before, feel free to stare at me awkwardly without introducing yourself. I will probably be doing the same to you.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

if I went, I'd be more interested in seeing DRIZZDAWG than I would be in seeing Droog :liljon:

but I'd be more interested in hearing Droog :omar:

but it's not worth it to go see a Nas-clone :fail:

I'll just wait til the footage hit the net :upload:

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Blockhead wrote:I was thinking about going but literally not a single person I know wants to go with me so thats taking some wind out of my sail. It makes sense though , as most dudes in their late 30's (myself included) are not really hyped about going to rap shows.
Does this guy want to have a long career? I mean, how can he, with a voice like this?

So what I'm saying is: see him just once. And if you see the first show, you will be able to :omar: everyone like "yeah, I really seent it" like when people saw Humpty Hump and Shock G at the same time at a Digital Underground concert :rofl:

who cares if other people are going or not? I never understood why someone wouldn't want to go see something worth seeing, even if they have to go by themselves. better to see it alone than to make plans to see it with an iffy-ass flake who reneges anyways and makes you miss the show. i roll han solo to so many things :kanyeshrug:

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I'm not a dude who really enjoys going to rap shows alone. I generally know people at most shows I attend but a friend is a safety net for me not having to talk to a bunch of rappers I barely know about "the hustle". Either that happens or I just end up standing in a corner playing on phone all night and neither of those things are worth me going just to see this dude rap. And i think he's dope. Live shows in general...kinda over it.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

This is the dude who sounds like Nas?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Yup. Pic's been out there the whole time, but you know, conspiracy

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

oh hell no.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Gloss's white rapper-o-meter is on :jaz:

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

whiteness is supposed to be an exclusive activity. when did we start letting these arab looking dudes in? this guy wouldn't last 5 minutes at my country club.
1. Nas
2. Drake

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I'm cool with white rappers but I'm not checking for a dude who looks like a chubby cousin of French Montana trying to pass as Nas. Nah, fuck that.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

not sure how much of this was him actually trying to pass as nas and how much was generated by the internet trying to uncover a conspiracy of nas trying to pass as someone else

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

still. shit screams UGHH. nah brah, i'll pass thanks.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

You should really give him more of a chance. He's really dope. yes, his voice sounds a lot like Nas but flow wise, topically and beat wise, he's really not that much like him.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

drizzle wrote:not sure how much of this was him actually trying to pass as nas and how much was generated by the internet trying to uncover a conspiracy of nas trying to pass as someone else
yeah.

i used to just be resigned to the fact that it was some young kid who listened to Nas a million times like us and just mimicked his voice super super super good... but now I'm not sure either and I'm not sure that Nas wouldn't resort to doing that shit because he's bored and sees shit like Dr. Dre making rap stars out of utter gangsta fraudulence and marketing like The Game, and all the fake fuck bullshit that he's seen over the years

this video makes me not sure. they make a strong case that is IS Nas fucking with us

i'd actually be more happy if it WAS Nas being fake than if it was a kid who cloned Nasir's voice better than Guerilla Black style jacked Biggie

Blockhead, I think that he DOES think like Nas and phrase his stuff close to the way Nas does. He flows like Nas being a little more abstract and succinct than the sentence-length verses of the 'Life is Good' version of Nas

on September 3rd, this kid Your Old Droog is going to get SCRUTINIZED HARDER THAN ANYONE EVER IN HISTORY :rofl: