Super Canadian

Re: Worst Rapper Fall Off of All-Time?

Post by ackbar »

i'm sure eminem will run away with this but i think ll deserves the win

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

LL was an amazing rapper, and still can be if you he wanted to. But Em was special, the once in a lifetime kinda rapper. Not many can say they had that. Rakim, Nas and Em are all in the same class. But Em's success fucked him up because he wasn't the same really since MMLP.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

eminem continues to sell mad records but he had so much skill and creativity early on and now has become so tired and boring

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Redman in my book. Dude couldn't sell an album with Dr Dre and RZA executive producing.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

my top 3 would be em, cube and ll. guess i'll go with em off the strength of him lip syncing at concerts that probably have expensive tickets. i bet in 2014 ll and cube would still rap their live shows.

starks

Post by starks »

all of them

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Voted for Andre 3000 because I thought he had so much forward momentum prior to his seemingly sudden Rap Disappearance. He gave me a bare minimum of eleven Rap Boners per week.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Em, no question. Snoop was never all that amazing (good flow and voice though). Cube is just old and rich at this point; it's obvious his heart hasn't been in it for a very long time (he also has been a part of numerous classic albums, unlike Em). Jay-Z is whatever. Andre can definitely still deliver. Nas still brings it from time to time. LL likes women and licking his lips too much. 50 Cent was never that far above garbage level, and Lil Wayne never released much as far as classic material (if any).
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

voted 50 cent. His first two albums were solid and anything after that has been damn near unlistenable. The concept of "talent" made this a difficult decision because I didn't know if we were deciding if the person actually lost the skills to make good music or chose to go in a different direction for more sales, etc. LL, 50, and Wayne have all basically lost the ability to make good songs at this point, even if they wanted to. Ice Cube may fall into that category as well. While Eminem probably had the biggest fall off in terms of appealing to the masses while still being incredibly gifted as an artist and writer, I don't think he lost the ability or "talent" to make decent songs, he just started making poppier bullshit. If the first post said "quality wise" instead of "talent wise" I'd have voted Eminem without thinking twice.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Cleanhobo wrote:Em, no question. Snoop was never all that amazing (good flow and voice though). Cube is just old and rich at this point; it's obvious his heart hasn't been in it for a very long time (he also has been a part of numerous classic albums, unlike Em). Jay-Z is whatever. Andre can definitely still deliver. Nas still brings it from time to time. LL likes women and licking his lips too much. 50 Cent was never that far above garbage level, and Lil Wayne never released much as far as classic material (if any).
I actually agree with most of this...but you don't consider Slim Shady LP & Marshall Mathers LP classic status?

Eminem has definitely had the worst fucking fall off of all-time. From the pre-Aftermath shit he did with the Outsidaz...Slim Shady EP...the Soundbombing II joint...all those classic pre-SSLP radio freestyles...now dude makes protein shake music.

Kiran187

Post by Kiran187 »

Eminem will probably win this but I voted LL on the strength of "Accidental Racist" alone. I have no idea how he could have thought that would have been a good song to collab on. If that's the level where he's at creatively, that is just sad.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

On the Ed Lover show he was asked his favorite song in his entire catalog, his response and with great enthusiasm was "Doin It."

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

I voted for Nas.

Comparatively speaking he 'fell off' from the loftiest height. Illmatic & IWW are incredible pieces of art.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Echo Leader wrote:
Cleanhobo wrote:Em, no question. Snoop was never all that amazing (good flow and voice though). Cube is just old and rich at this point; it's obvious his heart hasn't been in it for a very long time (he also has been a part of numerous classic albums, unlike Em). Jay-Z is whatever. Andre can definitely still deliver. Nas still brings it from time to time. LL likes women and licking his lips too much. 50 Cent was never that far above garbage level, and Lil Wayne never released much as far as classic material (if any).
I actually agree with most of this...but you don't consider Slim Shady LP & Marshall Mathers LP classic status?
I may have used "numerous" incorrectly. I do consider those classics, or pretty damn close. What I meant was that Cube has been a part of way more amazing albums throughout his career (NWA and solo material).

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

:larry:

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

Not to get too cheesy - even though, most of these guys haven't gotten VERY cheesy - but even the most talented artists in any genre of music, seemingly only have a 2 to 5 album window of greatness. There's few, if any, that have exceeded this. Maybe the Beatles. Maybe The Roots. These are exceptions though.

That said, the idea of falling off, in my mind, applies more to a solo artist, or group, that didn't follow-up a brilliant album with, at the very least, a very good album. For example, I can fairly say that Black Sheep (maybe "brilliant" is a bit of a stretch here) fell-the fuck-off. I can't say the same about any of these guys.
But that's just me.

Kace

Post by Kace »

I'm surprised so many picked Eminem. His recent work is garbage mainly due to the dismal beats he picks, but he can still rap his ass off.

Threestacks on the other hand is past the point of no return, courtesy of Baduizm.
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

^ Really once Em started playing with his voice that was the start of his decline. I agree, he can rap his ass of but most of his subject matter and his annoying flow these days just negates any good he can do.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Kace wrote:I'm surprised so many picked Eminem. His recent work is garbage mainly due to the dismal beats he picks, but he can still rap his ass off.

Threestacks on the other hand is past the point of no return, courtesy of Baduizm.
:larry: at the first sentence. I can't remember the last time he "rapped his ass off."

Andre still kills verses whenever he appears, regardless of the fact that he doesn't show up very often.

step one

Post by step one »

50 certainly fell off the quickest. Went from biggest thing on the planet to no one caring in the space of 4 years. The fact he only had 2 different songs probably didn't help.

The others all had decent runs. Eminem makes terrible songs but that's always been the case.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Here's the difference between Andre and Em. If eminem drops a new a new album, none of us care. Yes, he can still rap but he's been making shit albums for so long, no one even expects him to make listenable music. At best, he does one song where he shows he can still rap very well but even that doesn't matter cause the rest of the album sounds like a cartoon character doing music for army/navy advertisements.
Meanwhile, Andre is simply MIA. He drops a verse, we listen. If he were to drop a full on rap album (which he never will) we'd lose our shit and love it. He didn't fall off though. He just stopped making music and , regardless what anyone thinks, he's still a incredible rapper.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

+1

step one

Post by step one »

Nas has actually been pretty consistent for a long time now. Mostly forgettable albums with a couple of high points preceded by 1 or 2 amazing tracks that dont make the final cut. Every time without fail.

Its nearly 10 years since Jay Z was interesting but he had probably the best run of all time from 96-2005.

Snoop shouldn't be on the list imo.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Blockhead wrote:Here's the difference between Andre and Em. If eminem drops a new a new album, none of us care. Yes, he can still rap but he's been making shit albums for so long, no one even expects him to make listenable music. At best, he does one song where he shows he can still rap very well but even that doesn't matter cause the rest of the album sounds like a cartoon character doing music for army/navy advertisements.
Meanwhile, Andre is simply MIA. He drops a verse, we listen. If he were to drop a full on rap album (which he never will) we'd lose our shit and love it. He didn't fall off though. He just stopped making music and , regardless what anyone thinks, he's still a incredible rapper.
Though I agree with the larger body of your argument, I diverge on the emphasized portion. He is ill; he knows he is ill; he knows people knows he is ill; and he is choosing to squander time and ground that cannot be regained. As a Hardcore Fan, I can't think of a reason why it would be so hard to shoot a movie for eight-weeks out of the year and, over the course of the same year, write and record an album. To deprive me and untold millions of others of plentiful Rap Boners when you are at the possible apex of your ascendancy is, to me, falling off.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

In 15 years Hustle Crowe's bastard son is gonna be postin on Philaflava like "Yo, school me on Eminem albums"

step one

Post by step one »

Employee wrote: Though I agree with the larger body of your argument, I diverge on the emphasized portion. He is ill; he knows he is ill; he knows people knows he is ill; and he is choosing to squander time and ground that cannot be regained. As a Hardcore Fan, I can't think of a reason why it would be so hard to shoot a movie for eight-weeks out of the year and, over the course of the same year, write and record an album. To deprive me and untold millions of others of plentiful Rap Boners when you are at the possible apex of your ascendancy is, to me, falling off.
You get the rappers you deserve

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Employee wrote:
Blockhead wrote:Here's the difference between Andre and Em. If eminem drops a new a new album, none of us care. Yes, he can still rap but he's been making shit albums for so long, no one even expects him to make listenable music. At best, he does one song where he shows he can still rap very well but even that doesn't matter cause the rest of the album sounds like a cartoon character doing music for army/navy advertisements.
Though I agree with the larger body of your argument, I diverge on the emphasized portion. He is ill; he knows he is ill; he knows people knows he is ill; and he is choosing to squander time and ground that cannot be regained. As a Hardcore Fan, I can't think of a reason why it would be so hard to shoot a movie for eight-weeks out of the year and, over the course of the same year, write and record an album. To deprive me and untold millions of others of plentiful Rap Boners when you are at the possible apex of your ascendancy is, to me, falling off.

I just call it being an asshole. But he doesn't care what we think, obviously. If he did we'd have at least a few solo albums of his (I don't count the first one) to blast till infinity.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

the love below was classic.. so i don't really know when andre fell off

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

step one wrote: Snoop shouldn't be on the list imo.
He isn't the same caliber rapper like many of the others, but from '92-94 Snoop pretty much killed everything. People forget just how powerful Doggystyle was at the time. Plus, everything he did with Dre prior to that made Snoop seem like Lebron before going to the NBA.