Re: What Music Did You Make Today?

Post by Cryptic One »

time for my usual spam

todays:

last few:

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

holy fuck... cant believe im nearing the finish line... 10 more to go ...

today:

Jesse-velazquez

Post by Jesse-velazquez »

Cryptic. what is a good method to compress and/or eq the drums so they don't sound generic. I like the way you do it on your videos.

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

Jesse-velazquez wrote:Cryptic. what is a good method to compress and/or eq the drums so they don't sound generic. I like the way you do it on your videos.

hmm... its tough to explain since every sound needs different settings... and also depending on the results you want

heres a pretty decent guide on compression for drums but id only use this as a starting point and just play with things til they sound good:

http://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/dru ... udio-12848" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just remember less is more... as a general rule of thumb with eq, compression, and verb... i dial in a setting i think is good and then i dial it back a notch

as far as eqing techniques... again it varies depending on the sound im going for... but generally boost the low end of kicks at a frequency that gives it thump but doesnt interfere with the frequency of the bass line... basically cutting one where boosting the other and visa versa... snares i boost the mids in a frequency that gives the snare more pop (if thats what im going for)... sometimes ill cut some high end on snares to help them sit better with the hats and sound more "muddy"

also after processing all the sounds individually... its never a bad idea to send them to a bus and put a general overall eq/compression/verb on the entire drum track... also things like tape saturation plug ins work great for this.. any effect that is somewhat transparent to put on all the drum elements to make them sound as if they were meant to be together. a small room verb works well (id usually dial the highs on the verb back to give it less sheen so everything melds together)

im probably doing a shitty job of explaining things... and maybe you want #s and specific settings.. but it just doesnt work that way since literally every beat/sound will be different...

a good way to get a grasp on it is to put a compressor on a sound and run through the presets taking note of how different settings change the sound... find a preset thats close to what you want and just tweak it from there... you will eventually just instinctively know which presets will get you closest to where you want to be... then you'll start creating your own presets

i spend a lot of times on drums.... and one thing ive noticed will always remain true... start with good drum sounds that sound good without effects and even better with them and life will be easier... sometimes a lot of the problems can be solved simply by swapping out for a snare or kick that fits better even 100% dry

im not too big on layering kicks and snares... i know a lot of people do it, and i will at times, but for the most part my kicks and snares are not layered... im not saying not to layer... because it can definitely help when done well... just not my usual thing... but its definitely a good fix in some situations

not sure if any of this is helpful... i just read it back and its all over the place... ha

Jesse-velazquez

Cryptic One wrote:
Jesse-velazquez wrote:Cryptic. what is a good method to compress and/or eq the drums so they don't sound generic. I like the way you do it on your videos.

hmm... its tough to explain since every sound needs different settings... and also depending on the results you want

heres a pretty decent guide on compression for drums but id only use this as a starting point and just play with things til they sound good:

http://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/dru ... udio-12848" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just remember less is more... as a general rule of thumb with eq, compression, and verb... i dial in a setting i think is good and then i dial it back a notch

as far as eqing techniques... again it varies depending on the sound im going for... but generally boost the low end of kicks at a frequency that gives it thump but doesnt interfere with the frequency of the bass line... basically cutting one where boosting the other and visa versa... snares i boost the mids in a frequency that gives the snare more pop (if thats what im going for)... sometimes ill cut some high end on snares to help them sit better with the hats and sound more "muddy"

also after processing all the sounds individually... its never a bad idea to send them to a bus and put a general overall eq/compression/verb on the entire drum track... also things like tape saturation plug ins work great for this.. any effect that is somewhat transparent to put on all the drum elements to make them sound as if they were meant to be together. a small room verb works well (id usually dial the highs on the verb back to give it less sheen so everything melds together)

im probably doing a shitty job of explaining things... and maybe you want #s and specific settings.. but it just doesnt work that way since literally every beat/sound will be different...

a good way to get a grasp on it is to put a compressor on a sound and run through the presets taking note of how different settings change the sound... find a preset thats close to what you want and just tweak it from there... you will eventually just instinctively know which presets will get you closest to where you want to be... then you'll start creating your own presets

i spend a lot of times on drums.... and one thing ive noticed will always remain true... start with good drum sounds that sound good without effects and even better with them and life will be easier... sometimes a lot of the problems can be solved simply by swapping out for a snare or kick that fits better even 100% dry

im not too big on layering kicks and snares... i know a lot of people do it, and i will at times, but for the most part my kicks and snares are not layered... im not saying not to layer... because it can definitely help when done well... just not my usual thing... but its definitely a good fix in some situations

not sure if any of this is helpful... i just read it back and its all over the place... ha
Lol. Its cool. I got what you meant. Thats pretty much what I'm doing now. getting the drums to sound the way I want is the biggest pain in the ass. I've got a lot of good samples, but it takes me longer to match up a drum that might sound good with it. Thanks for the link brother.

Jesse-velazquez

https://soundcloud.com/bodega-soundz/bodega-sounds-game-over-with-intro
The castle theme to Super Mario always had a dope bounce to me.

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

Jesse-velazquez

https://soundcloud.com/bodega-soundz/drama-i-do
Cryptic, good looks on that article about the drums. Peace y'all.

Jesse-velazquez

Also knocked out this one today too.
https://soundcloud.com/bodega-soundz/no-fun

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

Didn't make it today, but I like it. Think I fucked up the compression on the drum bus on this one. Shrug life.

https://soundcloud.com/chancerandom/we-found-dope-in-a-loveless-place

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

Jesse-velazquez wrote: https://soundcloud.com/bodega-soundz/drama-i-do
Cryptic, good looks on that article about the drums. Peace y'all.
no problem man... there are lots of other things you can do with drums... i definitely hear an improvement in the way the drums sit in the mix of your last two... still have a few editing snafus... i hear an audible "click" on the end of the snare... if your MPC has the ability to do audio fades you can fade the last miliseconds of the sample to fix the click (been a while since ive touched an MPC and the new ones have tons more features)... if you cant fade it then you can definitely fix it with an ADSR envelope

keep at it... where you getting your drum sounds from? sampling from vinyl or using drum libraries? id say for beginners drum libraries are a better starting point just because generally they are ready out the gate as far as editing goes and you can spend more time on making beats instead of spending 3 hours tweaking a snare

also like chance mentioned... putting some compression on the drum bus... and/or verb... and/or distortion... and/or a million other effects (i use a lot of tape saturation personally) really help the drums feel more like a drum kit and less like individual samples (if thats what you are going for... sometimes I actually like the separation).. also something I used to do more of is actually bounce the drums down to 2 tracks but a little quieter than normal and then chop my own patterns as if it was a drum break and compress it to bring some volume back... it brings up the noise/air as well as the drums and will help them gel together more... back in the day I used to do that same technique with cassettes... sidenote: i was talking to jzone a few months ago and he actually still does the cassette thing with his drums on a 4 track cassette (actual drums tho, not samples, since he is a pretty bad ass drummer)... but either way.. same technique

there are so many little things that honestly only other producer geeks will notice... but it is what it is... and its worth it to experiment
CHANCE RANDOM wrote:Didn't make it today, but I like it. Think I fucked up the compression on the drum bus on this one. Shrug life.

https://soundcloud.com/chancerandom/we-found-dope-in-a-loveless-place
sounds dope to me

disclaimer: listened to these on my headphones.... not in my monitors... so my judgement on mixes is probably skewed a little

today:

yesterdays (bass is mixed a touch too loud i think):

and in other news:

so trying to make these last 6 beats count

Jesse-velazquez

Cryptic One wrote:where you getting your drum sounds from?
The last 2 were sampled from my record collection. The ones before those were from a a drum kits I downloaded. I actually don't like those downloaded kits. I'm going to start doing stuff from records. Then I can EQ and Compress them from the original audio, as opposed to the those that are already EQ'd.

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

Jesse-velazquez wrote:
The last 2 were sampled from my record collection. The ones before those were from a a drum kits I downloaded. I actually don't like those downloaded kits. I'm going to start doing stuff from records. Then I can EQ and Compress them from the original audio, as opposed to the those that are already EQ'd.

word... i can respect that... thats how i worked for years, and still do at times... i added drum libraries to my arsenal a few years ago and enjoy the immediacy of it... i still get in my "tweak this snare from vinyl for 3 hours" mode from time to time.. but i also love getting drum sounds popping quickly to focus more on the music side of things

yesterdays:

Jesse-velazquez

Cryptic One wrote:
Jesse-velazquez wrote:

word... i can respect that... thats how i worked for years, and still do at times... i added drum libraries to my arsenal a few years ago and enjoy the immediacy of it... i still get in my "tweak this snare from vinyl for 3 hours" mode from time to time.. but i also love getting drum sounds popping quickly to focus more on the music side of things

yesterdays:

I hear that. Tweaking drums is really time consuming,

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

cryptic those are so sick.

get in the battle its all for fun

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

Jesse-velazquez wrote:
Cryptic One wrote:
Jesse-velazquez wrote:

yesterdays:

I hear that. Tweaking drums is really time consuming,
word... but rewarding
AWAE wrote:cryptic those are so sick.

get in the battle its all for fun
:cheers: thanks man

hows the battle work? everyone has the same sample source? any rules? id be down i guess..

todays beat... totally forgot to do a quick "mastering" on this one.. so it sounds a little flat... but you get the idea:

Jesse-velazquez

Did this one this past weekend. You can download it if you want as well. Enjoy.

https://soundcloud.com/bodega-soundz/never-my-own

Jesse-velazquez

Jesse-velazquez

This compression & EQ stuff got me open. I'm seriously considering going back and redoing all of the tracks i did prior. But, for now. Here is the latest one. PEACE!
https://soundcloud.com/bodega-soundz/the-theme-bodegas-concerto

ZiekeFons

Post by ZiekeFons »

I liked that chosen one beat. The last one not so much, sample is nice but it lacks some energy/drive imo.

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

Jesse-velazquez wrote:This compression & EQ stuff got me open. I'm seriously considering going back and redoing all of the tracks i did prior. But, for now. Here is the latest one. PEACE!

huge improvement on the drums in the last two... :hooray:

todays:

last couple of days

not sure what happened to the bass on this one... instagram made that 2nd note sound out of key... oh well

Jesse-velazquez

Cryptic One wrote:
Jesse-velazquez wrote:This compression & EQ stuff got me open. I'm seriously considering going back and redoing all of the tracks i did prior. But, for now. Here is the latest one. PEACE!

huge improvement on the drums in the last two... :hooray:

todays:

last couple of days

not sure what happened to the bass on this one... instagram made that 2nd note sound out of key... oh well

Thanks Cryptic.

I like the tracks you posted. I've been trying to get find a snare/cymbal hit like on #99. Great sound.

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

Jesse-velazquez wrote:
Thanks Cryptic.

I like the tracks you posted. I've been trying to get find a snare/cymbal hit like on #99. Great sound.

that snare cymbal hit... um... i got it from the drum library posted in this forum by the dead poet... hahaha :lol:

and my beataday thing is done... wasnt exactly every day... but close enough... beat #100:

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

releasing the last 10 (beats 91-100) as Crypstramentals Vol. 7... drops free on my bandcamp page 3/10/15:

and for those that missed the early ones... I started reposting all the beats starting back with #1:

http://instagram.com/cryp_uno/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jesse-velazquez

Hey hey. Been busy record shopping and going through music. Been working on this one. Heres a dollar bin diddy.

https://soundcloud.com/bodega-soundz/hang-on-dont-ever-die

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

Jesse-velazquez wrote:Hey hey. Been busy record shopping and going through music. Been working on this one. Heres a dollar bin diddy.

every beat i hear from you is getting better than the last

:rockout:

6-10:

Jesse-velazquez

Cryptic One wrote:
Jesse-velazquez wrote:Hey hey. Been busy record shopping and going through music. Been working on this one. Heres a dollar bin diddy.

Thank you my brother. Been putting in as much time as possible.

Btw, The Box video is hilarious. That beat is tough. Liked it.

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

Jesse-velazquez wrote:
Cryptic One wrote:

Thank you my brother. Been putting in as much time as possible.

Btw, The Box video is hilarious. That beat is tough. Liked it.

thanks man :cheers:

Jesse-velazquez