Korg Triton v. MPC 2000

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Peeping Tom

Korg Triton v. MPC 2000

Post by Peeping Tom »

Im gonna take a loan out to get one but I was wondering which one has the best overall features, I can play the keybaord a little so I was thinking the Korg might be best...are there sequencers/samplers comparable?

Raphael De La Ghetto

Post by Raphael De La Ghetto »

IMO, MPC's are worthless, and you can do everything just as fine with some thing you downloaded for free.
I would also just rent out the keyobard, and use the money to buy something like a Mic. But if it was just between these 2 I'd get the keyboard.

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

ive owned both... i still have the triton... had an mpc 2000 for about 2-3 years

the triton is far superior feature wise... and is almost as easy to use

my only beef with the triton is the way its laid out makes very little sense, but once u get used to it u make due... the mpc's sequencer is still MUCH better than the triton.. the tritons "song mode" leaves alot to be desired... but its functionable

but as far as sampling engine, effects, sample editing, filters, envelopes, etc? they arent even in the same league... triton is much more advanced, and you get the added bonus of plenty of sounds to use

ofcourse this all depends on which triton u plan on getting... if u are looking at the triton LE... i cant say much for it... ive used my boys a couple of times... but without the touch screen it makes it alot more difficult to navigate... so get a triton classic, studio, or extreme...

LameAim

Re: Korg Triton v. MPC 2000

Post by LameAim »

Peeping Tom wrote:Im gonna take a loan out to get one but I was wondering which one has the best overall features, I can play the keybaord a little so I was thinking the Korg might be best...are there sequencers/samplers comparable?
Do you have any other gear? Are you planning on using a computer?

Either way, I'd most likely pick the Triton - unless you have another keyboard workstation already. Cryptic's nailed the reasons why.

reevolution

Post by reevolution »

Well you need to be more specific? What are you trying to achieve with either one of these pieces of equipment? What style beats are you going to make? Do you have a software sequencer (or a computer for that matter)? The sequencer/sampler on the Triton is nothing short of laughable (for hip-hop at least) but it has a lot of great synth sounds (even tho the majority of them are played out).

If I were you (which I'm not, obviously) I would def get the MPC2000XL with an effects board installed(make sure you get the newer model XL, the one with the zip drive).

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

reevolution wrote: The sequencer/sampler on the Triton is nothing short of laughable (for hip-hop at least) but it has a lot of great synth sounds (even tho the majority of them are played out).
both of those statements are false

the sequencer is fine... its better than the asr10s sequencer (which i also own).. .the song mode is the only problem sequencer wise... and its fine once you convert the sequence from song mode by copying it to its own sequence... it "hiccups" in song mode if you dont convert... but other than that, the sequencer is great... and the sampling engine SHITS on the mpc's sampling engine... not even in the same league

it has alot of great synth sounds... but people who tend to think they are played out, havent even begun to tap into the capabilities of the machine... sure the presets have been used a billion and one times... but thats not what the synth is about... you have a billion patches that you can download for free... and if you are more adventureous... you can make your own patches... its pretty much limitless soundwise

i also never understood the thought pattern of the type of beats you are going to make having much to do with the sampling workstation you get

I can make the same "kind" of beats on every sampling piece of equipment ive owned... asr 10, s-950, triton, mpc 2000, and the computer... the big difference is the depth of features, and the process behind making the music... the end results and style of music has little to do with the equipment... and more to do with the user behind it

tritons, asrs, and the original mpcs were not made with hip hop in mind... remember that

reevolution

Post by reevolution »

Cryptic One wrote:
reevolution wrote: The sequencer/sampler on the Triton is nothing short of laughable (for hip-hop at least) but it has a lot of great synth sounds (even tho the majority of them are played out).

the sequencer is fine... its better than the asr10s sequencer (which i also own).. .the song mode is the only problem sequencer wise... and its fine once you convert the sequence from song mode by copying it to its own sequence... it "hiccups" in song mode if you dont convert... but other than that, the sequencer is great... and the sampling engine SHITS on the mpc's sampling engine... not even in the same league

it has alot of great synth sounds... but people who tend to think they are played out, havent even begun to tap into the capabilities of the machine... sure the presets have been used a billion and one times... but thats not what the synth is about... you have a billion patches that you can download for free... and if you are more adventureous... you can make your own patches... its pretty much limitless soundwise

i also never understood the thought pattern of the type of beats you are going to make having much to do with the sampling workstation you get

I can make the same "kind" of beats on every sampling piece of equipment ive owned... asr 10, s-950, triton, mpc 2000, and the computer... the big difference is the depth of features, and the process behind making the music... the end results and style of music has little to do with the equipment... and more to do with the user behind it

tritons, asrs, and the original mpcs were not made with hip hop in mind... remember that
I guess I should have made those statements in a more opinionated manner and for that I apologize. I personally don't own a Triton and probably only have about 30-40 hours experience on them compared to the XL's which I've been using for years.

The problem with people buying Tritons is that they buy them because they heard it is the be-all-end-all of synths to have and they never seem to unlock it to it's potential. Most people I talk to that own one know nothing of patches, loading new samples, etc into it. They think since they dropped 1k+ on the machine that everything is already loaded into it and ready to go at their fingertips.

I agree with you on the whole "my so-and-so-sequencer makes better beats than your so-and-so-sequencer" argument. And whenever somebody tries to argue that point I just mention 9th Wonder and that shuts them up.

It all comes down to the artist like you said, but in my opinion/from my perspective I feel that the MPC2000XL is the most fitted sampler on the market for hip-hop beatmaking.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Cryptic One wrote:

Bingo. Cryptic's 100% on here.

If I were you, though, I'd buy a decent PC and a midi keyboard and get busy.

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

reevolution wrote:
Cryptic One wrote:

I guess I should have made those statements in a more opinionated manner and for that I apologize. I personally don't own a Triton and probably only have about 30-40 hours experience on them compared to the XL's which I've been using for years.

The problem with people buying Tritons is that they buy them because they heard it is the be-all-end-all of synths to have and they never seem to unlock it to it's potential. Most people I talk to that own one know nothing of patches, loading new samples, etc into it. They think since they dropped 1k+ on the machine that everything is already loaded into it and ready to go at their fingertips.

I agree with you on the whole "my so-and-so-sequencer makes better beats than your so-and-so-sequencer" argument. And whenever somebody tries to argue that point I just mention 9th Wonder and that shuts them up.

It all comes down to the artist like you said, but in my opinion/from my perspective I feel that the MPC2000XL is the most fitted sampler on the market for hip-hop beatmaking.
i understand what you mean

and i have nothing against the mpc or people who use them... i personally find them over rated... and limiting... but obviously they can churn out some great music.... im just waving my triton flag, because it gets so unfairly hated on, and there are so many myths out there about it

but back to the original post... what employee said is probably the most cost effective/best route, but... and so many people dont do this, it baffles me... GET A COMPUTER BUT ONLY USE IT FOR MUSIC... do not use it for e-mail, do not use it to surf the net, do not use it for anything but music

people that make their music on the same PC they do everything else on are asking for disaster

ive seen too many people go through the "i just lost a years worth of beats and every piece of music software i had" sob story

another overlooked thing for people getting into it...

records....buy records for sampling with the loot u have left over... a sample based work station with no material to sample is worthless

Peeping Tom

Post by Peeping Tom »

Cryptic One wrote:
reevolution wrote:
Cryptic One wrote:

i understand what you mean

and i have nothing against the mpc or people who use them... i personally find them over rated... and limiting... but obviously they can churn out some great music.... im just waving my triton flag, because it gets so unfairly hated on, and there are so many myths out there about it

but back to the original post... what employee said is probably the most cost effective/best route, but... and so many people dont do this, it baffles me... GET A COMPUTER BUT ONLY USE IT FOR MUSIC... do not use it for e-mail, do not use it to surf the net, do not use it for anything but music

people that make their music on the same PC they do everything else on are asking for disaster

ive seen too many people go through the "i just lost a years worth of beats and every piece of music software i had" sob story

records....buy records for sampling with the loot u have left over... a sample based work station with no material to sample is worthless
I was thinking of going this route too...My brother dropped my old labtop, it wouldnt work at first and insurance paid me for another one, but we plugged the old one into a new monitor and bingo shit works, now i can just erase everything off of it and put music programs on it...the only problem is my tables are old so how do i know if they are compatible with my comp?

reevolution

Post by reevolution »

Cryptic One wrote: but back to the original post... what employee said is probably the most cost effective/best route, but... and so many people dont do this, it baffles me... GET A COMPUTER BUT ONLY USE IT FOR MUSIC... do not use it for e-mail, do not use it to surf the net, do not use it for anything but music

Exactly. If you're only going to have one computer for your studio MAKE SURE you have an external/separate hard drive to "keep everything else" on. (i.e. mp3s, games, applications, etc) And make sure you defrag at least once a month, search for spyware once a week, and search for viruses once a week. I really don't think there is anything more heartbreaking than losing your whole beat collection.

And as for the records part, they are about as mandatory to have as the sampler itself. I have a local record shop that I go into and for $10 I get 100 random/generic records that I pick out of their huge pile of "garbage" that they have in their backroom. In their eyes it is garbage, but in my eyes it is GOLD. I'm still pulling samples off of my last 100 record lot I picked up... and I'm sure I have at least 10 more beats that I can get out of 'em.

cuntface

Post by cuntface »

reevolution wrote: I feel that the MPC2000XL is the most fitted sampler on the market for hip-hop beatmaking.
sampler wise the 2000 ain't all that. it's a stripped down s2000 and i have NEVER heard anyone sing the praises of an s2000.

what exactly would you say is so great about it?

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

reevolution wrote:And as for the records part, they are about as mandatory to have as the sampler itself. I have a local record shop that I go into and for $10 I get 100 random/generic records that I pick out of their huge pile of "garbage" that they have in their backroom. In their eyes it is garbage, but in my eyes it is GOLD. I'm still pulling samples off of my last 100 record lot I picked up... and I'm sure I have at least 10 more beats that I can get out of 'em.
Man, that makes me jealous.

I'm in Anchorage and the sources I have here for vinyl are severely limited. We have no dedicated record shops here, so locally all I have is the perpetually tired shit at Salvation Army. I'm still sifting through my father's collection, though... so it's not a huge problem yet. I'll probably turn to lots on eBay sooner or later. Not that that's a bad thing, but I'd just like to be able to go somewhere and go through stuff, know what I mean?

still illiterate

Post by still illiterate »

LameAim wrote:
reevolution wrote:And as for the records part, they are about as mandatory to have as the sampler itself. I have a local record shop that I go into and for $10 I get 100 random/generic records that I pick out of their huge pile of "garbage" that they have in their backroom. In their eyes it is garbage, but in my eyes it is GOLD. I'm still pulling samples off of my last 100 record lot I picked up... and I'm sure I have at least 10 more beats that I can get out of 'em.
Man, that makes me jealous.

I'm in Anchorage and the sources I have here for vinyl are severely limited. We have no dedicated record shops here, so locally all I have is the perpetually tired shit at Salvation Army. I'm still sifting through my father's collection, though... so it's not a huge problem yet. I'll probably turn to lots on eBay sooner or later. Not that that's a bad thing, but I'd just like to be able to go somewhere and go through stuff, know what I mean?
word man, No records stores here in ames. I've been hitting up goodwill and the salvatoin army for a minute but all i find is wack Barbara Striesand records. I'll be hitting up the garage sales here in the spring though.

And i don't know about buying shit on Ebay. It seems like anything that could potentially have samples, also has other potential buyers trying to raise the price.

arcane

Post by arcane »

lol there is to much on here to read.....buy a computer...that is of course if you are new to the game...and don't want any restrictions on ur initial creative progress..... software samplers are a breeze oh and this is my opinion and i have found that this has worked best for my case for i am also new to this and i find it much easier to use software because it is much more intuitive oh and my screen is bigger...i have however purchased an old zoom st224 sampler just so i can be a little more hands on instead of just staring at a screen and clicking you can just edit your samples on ur comp and save them to a smart media card and load them already edited onto my sampler

arcane

Post by arcane »

oh ya if you buy a mac u won't have to search for viruses b/c there has never been a virus for macs and osx automatically defrags and does housekeeping for you.....also it comes w/ garageband for free and it is interfaced so a 2 yr old mentally handicapped child could use it....i use it to just sequence things.....u can record to it ..timestretch it does have some restrictions but when u move up in skill level u could get logic....which shits on garageband in terms of depth of use but at the same time it is compatible with all you garageband files so you can just tranfer ur work over.....now the above is not my opinion it is actual fact.......u decide

and if this was already said i apologize i didn't feel like readin all that other stuff

unAuthorDeezy

Post by unAuthorDeezy »

well first i wanna thank cryptic for his indepth description of the triton, because that was my next purchase as I have the mpc2000xl but find it to be mad limiting in certain aspects... which were all listed, I love the mpc for programming drums and sequencing... but past that it has its deficencies(sp?) obviously once i get a triton or comparable synth... i will look to use them together, i also have a couple of 70's vintage synths that are kinda bizarre.... but need to increase my hardware. so to answer your question, hahaha it depends on you, if you have toliit yourself to one piece right now... the mpc might be easier to learn because its pretty str8 foward, although there is alot of tricks u learn from using it and such, but that goes with everything. I think the triton would be better for a first piece and core piece to your studio
unAuthordox's "Help... The Ep LP" available at www.ughh.com/store, www.cdbaby.com/cd/unauthordox, www.towerrecords.com
-"fuse one... dood smokes a blunt like a chick holds a virginia slim. "

jayvee

Post by jayvee »

what "bizarre" synths do you have?

Digital Fiend

Post by Digital Fiend »

I Seen,Shock G live, playing for Murs,and he was using an EMU MO PHATT Command Station Sequencer which costs less than any of these other units that you mention..this little mofo sounded Nice and BIG,the fukkin beats commin out of it were fatt as hell,and rocked the fuck out the place....i have always been interested to get one,even before this show .and so after that i was like hell yeah i definatly want to try one out, i have a yamaha Rm1x sequencer, it has treated me just fine,and i cant stand prestes on any equipment,i like to write my own beats and melodies,presets are Gay, I have never worked with an Mpc or triton..i like Korg tho.and i have some Korg Equipment,..and yess it isnt the equipment..it is the person that owns the equipment ,that can make it sound like what they want it to, TWEEK AND DESTROY thats what i always say :)

LameAim

Re: ..

Post by LameAim »

Digital Fiend wrote:I Seen,Shock G live, playing for Murs,and he was using an EMU MO PHATT Command Station Sequencer which costs less than any of these other units that you mention..this little mofo sounded Nice and BIG,the fukkin beats commin out of it were fatt as hell,and rocked the fuck out the place....
I've tried it a couple of times. Those things are nice. They don't sample, though.

But if you pair it with a rack sampler, like a EMU rack sampler or something (or even a keyboard workstation), that would be a nice combination.

Digital Fiend

Post by Digital Fiend »

Yess Indeed,that sounds like a hell of a combo,.i have priced these things before,and you can get them at a fraction of the price ,than a triton or mpc,.Save some dough to go out and gain a lil inspiration with :)..im in need of a new change of equipment,..and this sounds like cool way to go,for a musician on a budget,and still wants to have luxury equipment,even tho the Rm1x is pretty fukkin sweet tho,i had this baby now for over 5 years and she been more than gentle to me :)..i swear tho,its never enuff,looking threw all these fukkin music magazines and shit..its like a kid in a toy/candy store..you just want every fukkin thing you can get your hands on..just when you think you got "The Shit" something new always comes out that can Blow it away in some ways..

LiQuiD6

Post by LiQuiD6 »

i would get an mpc over a triton for sampling just cause of the DAC's.......

the mpc just sounds better....but if thats the case.....you can easily cop an akai s1000 or an s950 if you want the mpc60 sampling engine
The best hip hop producer you never heard of:

www.myspace.com/liquid6dustmightz

krushgr00ve

Post by krushgr00ve »

I have both. I can still make beats with confidence without a keyboard. Also Keep in mind, for making beats, you're not gunna really want to play instruments all the time. MPC's come with a distinct quality of sound you really cant get in any other form of electronic instruments. Thats why they still manufacture the shit

bishop headley

drums

Post by bishop headley »

I prefer playing drums and chopping samples on pads (mpc) rather then a sampling synth. Synth are much nicer for making your own melodies. Saying sounds on any synth are played out to me is saying you always use presets. Ive had a dj x yamaha keyboard ive used for the past 7 years and still have yet to purchase anything else cause Ive always found new ways to make it sound different.

http://zebox.com/bishopheadly - Jethro's Horns (I used a dj x for about 10 or 12 sounds on that song)

If you have never touched either an mpc or a triton before...I would go with the triton because it just can do more... The only reason I use an Mpc is for the pads..

a sampler and a synth together is better than just a sampler

Digital Fiend

Post by Digital Fiend »

Ive got one of those,the Djx..to me tho..has the Dumbest fukkin preset Voice sounds i have Ever heard,and Song sounds aswell,it turned me of to it at first,but then i got into the Nice Filters on it,and its cool,the 2 second sampling function is cool to,but still tho..i think it is a bottom of the line keyboard,and i cant WAIT to get another keyboard,Something better,because im gettin sick of this ,it is More like a Toy that takes batteries,i have had mine for 7 years aswell,i got it when it just came out,maybe its 8 years i think,but anyway..im not diggin it anymore,there are faar more better Keyboards out there,for the same price range,and they can blow this one away in a heart beat..it was an impulse buy,the salesman sold me on it,and i fell for it..BUT i LOVE the Sequence function on it to,..i dunno..i love it and i hate all at the same time..its good and it sucks at the same time...i will have to post some tunes i made with it,for you to see :)..ya thats a good idea :)

cuntface

Post by cuntface »

krushgr00ve wrote:MPC's come with a distinct quality of sound you really cant get in any other form of electronic instruments. Thats why they still manufacture the shit
i dunno about the 60, 1000 and 4000 but the 2000 and the 3000 are based on shitty akai racks that they DON'T make any more. the reason they still make mpcs is nothing to do with the sampler, it's because people like the sequencer and the pads (well for the 2000 at least).

and of course you get the people who know nothing about gear who buy an mpc strictly cos they heard thats what you need to make beats with

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

yeah id have to agree

i dont get people saying how great the mpc sounds... its transparent... thats it... the mpc2000 doesnt sound any better then a triton

when u get into the mpc60 its a different story... i cant speak on the 4000 or the 3000 because ive never used em

but i can bet you anything... no one would be able to tell the difference if i sampled the same source on a triton and an an mpc

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

The MPC60/3000 DEFINITELY have a distinguishable sound. I still think the 3000 is one of the best samplers/drum machines ever made.

bishop headley

Re: ..

Post by bishop headley »

Digital Fiend wrote:Ive got one of those,the Djx..to me tho..has the Dumbest fukkin preset Voice sounds i have Ever heard,and Song sounds aswell,it turned me of to it at first,but then i got into the Nice Filters on it,and its cool,the 2 second sampling function is cool to,but still tho..i think it is a bottom of the line keyboard,and i cant WAIT to get another keyboard
I don't really think its a good keyboard, I just know it and have always used midi patchs and a kaoss pad to make cool sounds with it. Preset sounds are gonna get played out on anything.

Samplers don't really have a sound to them to me, they have a bit rate that they sample...thats about it. You can make any sample chunky.

Digital Fiend

Post by Digital Fiend »

damn you got the kaoss pad too ..cool..i love those..i love the hands on with it,i have done some tunes with that unit aswell..its sweet,it has the 6 second sampling time,no samplers dont have a sound,they only sound like what you put in it,and mess with the effects on it, and the djx i said pretty much that i love to hate it and vice versa,..but man the Kaoss is bad ass,i wanted to try out the KP2 but i never got arounf to it,becuase i bought a yamaha su200 instead..and all this talk over witch unit is the best..is actually kinda wierd,becuase,,if your using a sampler of any kind,you could make a fatt ass beat and even melody,it is all about imagination,shiiit any one with enuff know how and imagination could take a fukkin ES-1 sampling drum machine..and fukkin Tweek it with the right sample and make it sound right up there with a fukkin mpc,or emu,or whatever the fukk...its not the equipment,its the person that owns...i made a pretty decent fukkin beat one time just from using a fukkin EA-1 synth,and a Zoom rt123 drum machine b4...so C'mon..if you know how to master and use distortion to your advantage,you can make a fukkin 1979 korg drum machine sound good..hahahahah