Kanye West - Dark Twisted Fantasy

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Hayzoos wrote:But then again, I'm a 21 year old college kid.

Kid Cudi is dope.

EDIT: In fact, the only people I know that hate him are the miserable fucks on this site.
This really explains a lot.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

RE: Kanye's new album. I like it a whole lot and it's already in heavy rotation with Devilz Rejectz 2. When you add the good GOOD Friday songs it amounts to 20 or so dope songs. That's worth being excited about IMO and who cares if he released some of the songs for free? I'm gonna download this album for free anyway. I don't know why anybody is downloading leaks to begin with, if this bothers you. It was apparent pretty early that some of these would be on the album.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

It's hard to mess with the 10 best songs Kanye's put out or been featured on this year:

Start It Up
The Joy
Christian Dior Denim Flow
Devil in a New Dress
Power
Gorgeous
GOOD Friday (Big Sean-less edit)
All of the Lights
Blame Game
See Me Now

Thun

Post by Thun »

Has anyone put all of the good Friday songs into one file yet?

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Thun wrote:Has anyone put all of the good Friday songs into one file yet?

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

:Cue Thun:

One of my favorite things about some of Kanye's recent verses is when he does this thing where he raps like he's having an actual conversation with someone and uses the back and forth rhythms of his banter with an imaginary other to switch up his flow inside a verse, or to provide a respite from the flow that bookends the conversation. Maybe I don't listen to enough music, but there's not many rappers that I've heard do this, or maybe they do but they're not as adept at it.

Examples:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ngDSSVOZObw?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ngDSSVOZObw?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

"Now Marone (? someone's name that I can't make out) got Gidget, the other got Bridget
What's more tripped out dog is that they sisters
Nah, you aint listen, 'They black, they sistas'
They momma named them after white bitches"

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7XL84zQZ1nw?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7XL84zQZ1nw?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

"She said, 'Hey 'Ye'
I said, 'Yes biiiiiitch'
'Damn I'm only asking you a question!'"

Thun

Post by Thun »

Good point. He's been doing this obsessively for a while now, and it definitely adds an interesting dimension to his style.

I can think of rappers that build conversations into their raps but it's usually more announced, as if they are relating the details of a past conversation, not just breaking out into a soliloquy mid-song...

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

G.O.O.D. Friday joints all zipped up.

http://www.mediafire.com/?n2ffddckn2kfiyf

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Word. There's a long history of people putting conversations into their rhymes, but not many people make them sound like actual, animated conversations as well as Kanye and not many people just drop them in mid-rhyme and use it as an occasion to switch up their flow.

He does it on this as well, to hilarious effect:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RFOqlIObNR8?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RFOqlIObNR8?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

"I ain't got it I'm coming after whoever who has it
I'm coming after...'Whoever! Who Has It?'
'You blowing up? That's good...fantastic.'"

Thun

Post by Thun »

pradadon wrote:G.O.O.D. Friday joints all zipped up.

http://www.mediafire.com/?n2ffddckn2kfiyf
U DA MAN

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Iceman, you are incredible.

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

I feel like this year has been a nice resurrection for Kanye the rapper.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

just heard that Chain Heavy w/Talib Kweli and Consequence. Q-Tip on the beat. that shit should've been on the album.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

cant stop playing dark fantasy. rza brought it.

WTF? how come premo is credited for "monster?"

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Agreed, Dark Fantasy might be the album highlight.

I'm curious to see who beats him for Album of the Year at the Grammy's this time.

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Brougham33 wrote:I'm curious to see who beats him for Album of the Year at the Grammy's this time.
FlyLo, obv.

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

Dope LP

Thun

Post by Thun »

Interesting, if overdetermined take on Kanye's strange fascination with technology over the course of his career:

http://www.theawl.com/2010/11/understan ... ntasy-baby

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Captin Planit wrote:I feel like this year has been a nice resurrection for Kanye the rapper.
it's nice to know that it's an actual rap/life comeback, not an overhyped letdown that only Kanye Stans believe is a comeback.

dude evolved into an interesting place.

and Jay-Z "started" the "conversational rap style", but Kanye's taking it funny places.

Kanye stay killin shit in da 10
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

good looks pradadon. I have no idea why chain heavy isn't on the album, i like that beat better than any on the album except "dark fantasy".
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Remember when Kanye was carrying on about how this was going to be a "boom-bap" album?

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

Thun wrote:Interesting, if overdetermined take on Kanye's strange fascination with technology over the course of his career:

http://www.theawl.com/2010/11/understan ... ntasy-baby
if kanye is giving this much thought to his career arc... I'm fucking bewildered by his genius.

but I do give props to this dude for tying it up in a nice, easily readable, intriguing little pacakge

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:I have no idea why chain heavy isn't on the album, i like that beat better than any on the album except "dark fantasy".
oh yeah?
well mr. executive producer... why don't you tell Kanye where "Chain Heavy" would fit best on the record?

also, please make a strong case to Mr. West as to why he his record, the latest magnum opus in his mind, needs a talib kweli verse.

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

album is pretty god damned good.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

GM Dizzy Skillespie wrote:
EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:I have no idea why chain heavy isn't on the album, i like that beat better than any on the album except "dark fantasy".
oh yeah?
well mr. executive producer... why don't you tell Kanye where "Chain Heavy" would fit best on the record?

also, please make a strong case to Mr. West as to why he his record, the latest magnum opus in his mind, needs a talib kweli verse.
after monster
him n kweli are buds maybe you didnt know
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

I must have alien ear drums or something, cause the beat for "My Chain Heavy" sounds like ass to me and is nowhere near as dope as the beat on something like "All of the Lights," which sounds like you could stage a Space Shuttle launch to it.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Icesickle wrote:I must have alien ear drums or something, cause the beat for "My Chain Heavy" sounds like ass to me and is nowhere near as dope as the beat on something like "All of the Lights," which sounds like you could stage a Space Shuttle launch to it.
Do you think maybe the approach of directly comparing a track like "Chain Heavy" to one that sounds like you could stage a Space Shuttle launch (on a planet ruled by sentient Hello Kitty? I guess?) to was a mistake?

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

LOL, but :larry:.

There's nothing soft about that beat. Those drums are epic, bro.

Are we supposed to only compare beats with the same tempo now? They were done for the same artist; I don't see what the big deal is.

Comedy Quaddafi

Hes never been better as a rapper IMO, whether his beats doesn't match up to earlier work is up for debate though, depending on what you like. What makes me happy about this, is that the tracks are so layered and evolving which makes the songs very durable - at least so far.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Comedy Quaddafi

Also, am I bugging or did he sample the piano from Eyes Wide Shut on Runaway? Ice diggy?
- MB