Haitian Jack

Post by Haitian Jack »

GrimeyHippy wrote:I'm gonna get flamed but "Marcberg" is a pretty boring album
is it tha loops? cuz if its the rapping :larry:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

i think we covered this a few pages back - the album's low-key style takes some patience and rewards an attentive listener. i can easily see somebody being bored with it if they are listening casually, especially for the first time, without immersing fully in the experience.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

DLG

Post by DLG »

drizzle wrote:i think we covered this a few pages back - the album's low-key style takes some patience and rewards an attentive listener. i can easily see somebody being bored with it if they are listening casually, especially for the first time, without immersing fully in the experience.
that was my first impression as well. I kept wishing the beats were not so simplistic, but after a whole bunch of listens it started sounding perfect the way it was.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

drizzle wrote:i think we covered this a few pages back - the album's low-key style takes some patience and rewards an attentive listener. i can easily see somebody being bored with it if they are listening casually, especially for the first time, without immersing fully in the experience.
Word.

GrimeyHippy

Post by GrimeyHippy »

Haitian Jack wrote:
same subject matter, lazy flow (especially in comparison to his old material and even UN album), and yes the production just sounds like it belongs in '95. I like minimalistic gritty beats but his samples, while dope, don't hold up for an entirety of a song.

His lyrics really dont blow my mind all that much, I've listened to this album 5 or 6 times, in ride, headphones, home stereo, each time nothing really grabs me about it. Maybe I need an east coast biased to change my mind

Thun

Post by Thun »

GrimeyHippy wrote:
Haitian Jack wrote:
same subject matter, lazy flow (especially in comparison to his old material and even UN album), and yes the production just sounds like it belongs in '95. I like minimalistic gritty beats but his samples, while dope, don't hold up for an entirety of a song.

His lyrics really dont blow my mind all that much, I've listened to this album 5 or 6 times, in ride, headphones, home stereo, each time nothing really grabs me about it. Maybe I need an east coast biased to change my mind
It's all about subtlety. There's plenty of complexity in the way he puts together words and puts those words against his music. The final result is great to my ears.

What lyrics blow your mind, if you don't mind me asking?

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

capture your Cleopatra.....
and push your burrito backwards

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

GrimeyHippy wrote:the production just sounds like it belongs in '95
This is a problem?

step one

Post by step one »

ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

GrimeyHippy

Post by GrimeyHippy »

It's all about subtlety. There's plenty of complexity in the way he puts together words and puts those words against his music. The final result is great to my ears.

He's a good lyricist but he's not saying a whole lot I haven't heard before and his flow is so subdued it just gets boring to me. it's standard gangster rap formula, which I prefer west coast if I'm gonna go that route. But really gangster rap hasn't done it for me for about a decade now so if an emcee is only gonna come with street cred braggadocio then he needs to come reeeallly sick or if not, at least have some beats that take me to another level

Supreme Clientele, for example (since you asked what lyrics blow my mind)

or the comparison has been made to Tha Connection, a comparison I agree with, they have a mellow, subdued sound as well and the rhyme patterns they fall into are similar to Roc's. aren't lyrically complex and while some of their songs can get boring too, they have outstanding beat selection that compliments their style, not complex beats just samples and arrangements that are dope and you want to keep listening to after the song is over. Listening to Marcberg usually makes me want to throw on "Connect" or "Trapeze"

I like Marcberg, I just think it's way overrated this year and I have to think it's because he already had a following before hand.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

Does the artist/tracklisting not show up for anyone else in iTunes?
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

Thun

Post by Thun »

GrimeyHippy wrote:

He's a good lyricist but he's not saying a whole lot I haven't heard before and his flow is so subdued it just gets boring to me. it's standard gangster rap formula, which I prefer west coast if I'm gonna go that route. But really gangster rap hasn't done it for me for about a decade now so if an emcee is only gonna come with street cred braggadocio then he needs to come reeeallly sick or if not, at least have some beats that take me to another level

Supreme Clientele, for example (since you asked what lyrics blow my mind)
Nice try with Supreme Clientele. Name a recording that came out this year with lyrics that blow your mind.

Marcberg is not standard gangsta rap formula, because standard gangsta rap formula doesn't exist. There have been so many styles and artists lumped together into this category over the years that the term "gangsta" rap is nearly meaningless. If you meant that its gangsta rap formula because Roc talks about street level drug dealing, it shares that characteristic with about 40-65% of all rap releases ever. It doesn't share too many other traits, though, the way he puts words together and recites those words, and the way he establishes a mood around such themes isn't very similar to most records labeled as "gangsta". Hardly any, actually. The most obvious influence to Roc's style is actually Ghostface, come to think of it...

But again, please enlighten us with a description of the music forms you've been pursuing in the last decade, since you became too good for gangsta rap.

GrimeyHippy

Post by GrimeyHippy »

of course there's a gangster rap formula, here it is:

cheep beats
hood raps
slap a pic of urself on the cover
go hustle

Not any lyrics in 2010 are going to be mindblowing and I dont have lyrics from every 2010 release memorized but Roc can barely even hold my attention with his voice/delivery which comes before lyricism, sometimes really dope lyricism can make up for that but usually not.

I can post emcees I'd rather listen to in 2010 but that's going to be a long list. Besides Hip-Hop music for me has always been heavily about the production before the emcee, even more so today I judge an album about 75% on production.

Since you want to post lyrics so bad, go ahead, maybe I'm sleeping on some of his lyricism, maybe some shit is going over my head, I'm open minded. I hear pretty standard street raps from dude, well written, but standard. Change my mind
Last edited by GrimeyHippy on Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thun

Post by Thun »

GrimeyHippy wrote:of course there's a gangster rap formula, here it is:

cheep beats
hood raps
slap a pic of urself on the cover
go hustle

Not any lyrics in 2010 are going to be mindblowing and I dont have lyrics from every 2010 release memorized but Roc can barely even hold my attention with his voice/delivery which comes before lyricism, sometimes really dope lyricism can make up for that but usually not.

I can post emcees I'd rather listen to in 2010 but that's going to be a long list

Since you want to post lyrics so bad, go ahead, maybe I'm sleeping on some of his lyricism, maybe some shit is going over my head, I'm open minded. I hear pretty standard street raps from dude, well written, but standard. Change my mind
I'm not eager to post lyrics at all, because I think comparing written lyrics is pointless. I'm not particularly interested in changing your mind, either. If you don't hear what I hear, god bless our ability to form independent opinions. I just take umbrage with sweeping generalizations and you seem to revel in them.

Post the emcees you'd rather listen to, starting with the white, bearded, vegan ones.

GrimeyHippy

Post by GrimeyHippy »

Thun wrote: Post the emcees you'd rather listen to, starting with the white, bearded, vegan ones.

Ok, (current emcees):

Freddie Gibbs
Curren$y
Elzhi
Fashawn
Ortiz
Reef went hard on Dumhi (my AOTY so far)
Jay Elec
Chuuwee

I'm probably forgetting some of the most obvious as I always do, but that's enough

GrimeyHippy

Post by GrimeyHippy »

if you want some backpacker shit to try n clown, I'll give you some ammo.

On the right day I might rather listen to Homeboy Sandman or even Qwel - there's a dude whose lyricism makes up for his voice/delivery

Thun

Post by Thun »

Just come out and say Sage Francis and Sole, man. No need to prolong this.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Thun wrote:Just come out and say Sage Francis and Sole, man. No need to prolong this.
:lol: :lol:
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Very late to the game on this...
Just bumped the album a few times and It's like a mix between Old Boot Camp (the beats at least), Raekwon and sauce money. EDIT: :lol: I mean Royal Flush , Not sauce money. I get those two mixed up all the time...

Granted, i've only listened to it twice but that's the vibe I get.
Very solid album but listening to Roc for a whole album does tire after a while.

GrimeyHippy

Post by GrimeyHippy »

Thun wrote:Just come out and say Sage Francis and Sole, man. No need to prolong this.
I just dont dickride anything NYC that sounds a decade and a half past it's time

Thun

Post by Thun »

GrimeyHippy wrote:
I just dont dickride anything NYC that sounds a decade and a half past it's time
So yes to Sage Francis and Sole?

nobs

Post by nobs »

album is great. period.

GrimeyHippy

Post by GrimeyHippy »

Thun wrote:
GrimeyHippy wrote:
So yes to Sage Francis and Sole?
So yes to Marcberg's Dicberg in ur ass?

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

:arrow: you are very bad at posting.

GrimeyHippy

Post by GrimeyHippy »

MarcBERG is a lame album title too

WTF is a MarcBERG

Dap

Post by Dap »

marcbergs dicberg

rofl

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

GrimeyHippy is a much better name though, right?

omen1

Post by omen1 »

he isn't good

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

omen1 wrote:he isn't good