Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

^ Word. That, and his name is Armond.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Saw it this weekend. Very dope.
I think my favorite part in the whole thing was the old A&R guy (his name is slipping my mind right now). he was lolz.
also, to add to what others were saying , Tip does seem like an annoying control freak but he's right in all of this. Phife was lucky to even be a part of the whole thing and obviously was Umad at all the love tip got from the jump. Also, Jarobi was the man. Just a nice dude. I still don't know what his point was but I see why they wanted him around.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Blockhead wrote:Saw it this weekend. Very dope.
I think my favorite part in the whole thing was the old A&R guy (his name is slipping my mind right now). he was lolz.
also, to add to what others were saying , Tip does seem like an annoying control freak but he's right in all of this. Phife was lucky to even be a part of the whole thing and obviously was Umad at all the love tip got from the jump. Also, Jarobi was the man. Just a nice dude. I still don't know what his point was but I see why they wanted him around.
Word to this. I know it goes against trendy Power of Phife revivalism, but Tribe was always just Q-Tip & Friends.

It wouldn't have been the same group with Phife, but that motherfucker wouldn't have been a group at all without Q-Tip, and he's the only one you can say that about.

I actually give Q-Tip a lot of credit for never just coming out and saying this.

Q-Tip may be whiny, obnoxious, and somewhat of a bitch at this point in his life, but Phife was always Money-B at best, and I honestly believe that if it weren't for his medical conditions people would be criticizing him as a whiny fool who couldn't even realize his own dumb luck.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

PopeyeJones wrote:I know it goes against trendy Power of Phife revivalism, but Tribe was always just Q-Tip & Friends.

Phife was always Money-B at best
Why does acknowledging what Phife brought to Tribe have to be "trendy"?

As for the Phife/Money B comparison, its really a no go. D.U. and Tribe are two very different groups with two very different legacies/bodies of work. "Money B is Phife at best" would be a more accurate way to frame that.

"Couldnt Even realize his own dumb luck"...why do people keep saying this (and stuff like it) when at multiple points in the film Phife acknowledges Tip's role in his career.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I think pop is saying that it's become trendy to pretend that phife was ever anyhting but a mediocre second fiddle. Sure, he had some decent lines and filled a role within the group but that was about it. I think, on Low end theory, people treated him like he was special cause he managed to improve from "awful" to "good enough".

Alias@anticon.com

Post by Alias@anticon.com »

Phife, Sen Dog, Vinnie from Naughty by Nature and Money B should start a super group.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Fuck Phife. Why are we even having this discussion?

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Blockhead wrote:I think pop is saying that it's become trendy to pretend that phife was ever anyhting but a mediocre second fiddle. Sure, he had some decent lines and filled a role within the group but that was about it. I think, on Low end theory, people treated him like he was special cause he managed to improve from "awful" to "good enough".
I feel this. However I dont feel like anybody is saying dude was some kind of lyrical genius (Hell, can you even say that about Tip?) but damn...his presence voice flow what have you on the mic HELPED Tribe's music sound better. I dont get why that is such a difficult thing to acknowledge for some people. Acknowledging Phife or Tip's overall artistic legacy in Tribe are not mutually exclusive.

Tribe Called Quest would be a MUCH less interesting group minus Phife. Period.

Disagree? Ask Amplified and The Renaissance. (I really like the latter but no way is it touching Tribes first 3.)

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Because Steven now works at Lowes.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

The Afronaut wrote: Why does acknowledging what Phife brought to Tribe have to be "trendy"?
Because IMO it's kind of trendy to do so. As of late it's probably trendy to do so because Q-Tip has been acting like such a whiny idiot about the documentary.
The Afronaut wrote:As for the Phife/Money B comparison, its really a no go. D.U. and Tribe are two very different groups with two very different legacies/bodies of work. "Money B is Phife at best" would be a more accurate way to frame that.
Ehh, I made the comparison because Phife and Mon are both clearly semi-regularly appearing second fiddles who contribute a verse more times than not on some albums, and less times than not on other albums, while also adding an element to their respective groups that would otherwise go missing without their presences. As for the perspective/tone/"balancing"/what-have-you they respectively contribute, I just think Mon brought a more distinctively different tone to D.U. than Phife did to Tribe. I'm not saying Mon is a better artist, but I think his limited contribution stood out more, and in some ways that caused his contribution to the group to be more impactful. I think if you took a non-music fan, gave them a wikipedia page, and played them Tribe's catalog, they might not realize how infrequently Phife was contributing, and might not notice all the times that he was contributing. I don't think the same can be said for Money-B. That said, this could all (sincerely) just be my West Coast bias.
The Afronaut wrote:"Couldnt Even realize his own dumb luck"...why do people keep saying this (and stuff like it) when at multiple points in the film Phife acknowledges Tip's role in his career.
There's a difference in being able to acknowledge something and having the presence of mind to realize that this acknowledgement should inform your behavior and actions. For the most part adults can do this, and for the most part children can't. It's why I think that for the most part Phife comes off like a self-centered piece of shit, and his medical condition is the only thing that even makes him remotely sympathetic in this thing. I mean c'mon, this fool takes a kidney from his wife and then moves across the country from his family to pursue his "dream" of being a basketball scout, while also using his medical condition at every turn to try to garner sympathy despite selfishly insisting he has a fucking "sugar addiction" that he just can't lick that causes the problem. The real eye-opening moment to me was when Phife was complaining about his "sugar addiction" and Tip was reflecting on how he could have taken a different and more productive approach in trying to help that wouldn't have been interpreted as badgering Phife or whatever. It sounded like the reflections of a child on the one hand and an adult on the other, and quite frankly Phife sounded like a fucking brat. Q-Tip is reflecting on how he could have tried to help Phife in different ways, and Phife is still holding decade old grudges about how Tip got on his nerves while trying to help him. That shit is ridiculous.

self :arrow: at long rambling tribe posts. I promised myself I wouldn't do this.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

PopeyeJones wrote:That said, this could all (sincerely) just be my West Coast bias.
You know what? :leon: At this Pop. It may be my East Coast bias talking as well.

Just wanted to say that before I responded with probably comparable rambling :lol:.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

As an east coast guy, I'd rather listen to a Raw Fusion album than a phife solo album. But , to be fair, i'd rather not hear either of them.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Someone please list the Tribe songs that are Q-Tip solos and then lock this idiotic tread.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

8 million stories>>>>>>>>>

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Blockhead wrote:As an east coast guy, I'd rather listen to a Raw Fusion album than a phife solo album. But , to be fair, i'd rather not hear either of them.
u mad cuz I'm styleetroning on u

Thun

Post by Thun »

Raw Fusions >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. Phife solo.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Thun wrote:Money b's back up vocals to shock G's verse on "Same Song" >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. Phife solo.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Real talk who said anything about Phife's solo joint to begin with?

Rob Sonic

Post by Rob Sonic »

guys, Phife was a major inspiration to me.
NICE CAT!

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Originally posted by Step One in TROY:

Q-Tip talks about his production, guest appearances, etc over the years...

http://prod.vibe.com/photo-galleries/fu ... ie-roots-d

About Crooklyn:
Abstract Poetic wrote:Originally we all wanted ג€˜Ol Dirty Bastard to be on it. He came to screening and in the middle of watching the movie [Crooklyn] when the little girl went to visit her other family Dirty was like, ג€˜This ainג€™t no Brooklyn shit!ג€™ He got up and walked out. I guess he didnג€™t want to be in that boat [laughs].ג€
:lol:

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Rob Sonic wrote:guys, Phife was a major inspiration to me.
Do people here know this story? you should tell them.

Req

Post by Req »

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/678 ... lled-quest

Grantland review four ATCQ albums. Fuck everybody, i liked BRL.
F.U. MOOLAH

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

Blockhead wrote:

admiral

Post by admiral »

Loved it

I thought Tip came off in a pretty good light - he was the one who had to force Phife to come to the studio sessions

I laughed when Phife was talking about his sugar "addiction"

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Req wrote:http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/678 ... lled-quest

Grantland review four ATCQ albums. Fuck everybody, i liked BRL.
Better: Fuck Grantland.

Save for the PITPR one this is just three assholes reviewing their childhoods while making occasional obligatory passing references to Tribe.

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

Chris Lighty?

Was hoping you meant Barry Weiss, though, for some odd reason.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:
Chris Lighty?

Was hoping you meant Barry Weiss, though, for some odd reason.
Yeah. Lighty was awesome. I wish they had more clips of him in there. He's like Irv gotti if he wasn't a complete retard.

Rob Sonic

Post by Rob Sonic »

SYM wrote:
Blockhead wrote:
I ran in to Phife on the way to RTB years ago in an airport, I really didn't know what to say to him, but I wanted to say hello. As I approached Phife Dawg I became sort of weirded out by it all because he seemed kind of like he didn't want to be bothered and I started to feel like a fan boy but it was too late as my friend had already said hello.

Phife didn't really react to awesome to that but he was looking at me, so, I'm standing there with this sort of strange in between look on my face and blurted out, "Yeah Man! yeah!, you're a Major inspiration to me!" and just sort of ran off.

truly a moment I will never live down.
NICE CAT!

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

^^^Thought you mightve been that guy who apparently asked him if he was doing okay and taking his medication regularly..."Youre the funky diabetic, right?"