What aspect of hip hop makes you the most ashamed?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

ardamus wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
ardamus wrote:the people who complain about it but yet are still fans
That's dumb. Do you like every movie Al Pacino is in? Do you watch ever Spike Lee movie and have to like it? Art is suppose to be judged.
Let me re-phrase before you hit me with another one of those dickhead fence-sitting jokes or another one of your commentary on my comments. People who complain way too fuckin' much. You'd think by the way some people complain about the shit, they'd give up and stop being fans. Thats all I'm sayin'.......
Yezzir.

If you like it enough to be down for so long, you should be down for the work you have to put in to find the good music...

The new generation don't have the novelty of being around the same age as the artform, growing up WITH it, so maybe they don't feel the need to justify listening to it, or take care of it in any way, but that's the way I know the small pocket of friends I grew up with loving rap were like. That was how most of us felt.

Now, most of those serious rap fans are casual listeners. They constantly complain about how nothing is "real" anymore. And I can't blame them because they're just not exposed to, or actively looking for, a lot of the good stuff.

For myself, it's a part of my life. It's always gonna be there. So fuck it, I'm gonna try to listen to as much of it as I can. I feel the same way about almost all genres of music.

That was long winded. But I just smoked my first spliff of the day.

Harry Hater

Post by Harry Hater »

Philaflava wrote:
drizzle wrote:
Money Gripp wrote:
drizzle wrote:
Philaflava wrote:The people it attracts.
i'd say this was hypocritical elitism of the worst sort if i didn't feel exactly the same way
Pretty much.

And it's not elitism but I think in any music where authenticity is vital, there should be some sort of hierarchy/pecking order.

When people like senorhaha become the norm rather than the exception, you got a real fuckin' problem.
to clarify (and this is not a shot at mg or phila personally) i meant fans as much as the musicians themselves.
I'm talking more about the fans. For instance, I'd never marry my wife is she was some hip-hop head all into Dipset or Wu-Tang. I don't really have friends who know much about hip-hop and I kinda like it. Not that I want everybody to be like me, but the typical hip hop head is a real douche bag.

The best kind of hip-hop fans are the ones who you'd never be able to tell were even into hip-hop. They don't go out of their way to prep the role of tweak an affected voice.

I think this is why I was always drawn to the type of folks who liked De La or ATCQ than those who liked Wu-Tang or Snoop Dogg.
You mean the way that Seth Rogen, for example, obviously grew up listening to hip hop, yet he has his own sense of identity so he doesnt need to act like the people youre talking about?

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

Harry Hater wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
drizzle wrote:
Money Gripp wrote:
drizzle wrote: i'd say this was hypocritical elitism of the worst sort if i didn't feel exactly the same way
Pretty much.

And it's not elitism but I think in any music where authenticity is vital, there should be some sort of hierarchy/pecking order.

When people like senorhaha become the norm rather than the exception, you got a real fuckin' problem.
to clarify (and this is not a shot at mg or phila personally) i meant fans as much as the musicians themselves.
I'm talking more about the fans. For instance, I'd never marry my wife is she was some hip-hop head all into Dipset or Wu-Tang. I don't really have friends who know much about hip-hop and I kinda like it. Not that I want everybody to be like me, but the typical hip hop head is a real douche bag.

The best kind of hip-hop fans are the ones who you'd never be able to tell were even into hip-hop. They don't go out of their way to prep the role of tweak an affected voice.

I think this is why I was always drawn to the type of folks who liked De La or ATCQ than those who liked Wu-Tang or Snoop Dogg.
You mean the way that Seth Rogen, for example, obviously grew up listening to hip hop, yet he has his own sense of identity so he doesnt need to act like the people youre talking about?
LOL

Here we go...

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Harry Hater wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
drizzle wrote:
Money Gripp wrote:
drizzle wrote: i'd say this was hypocritical elitism of the worst sort if i didn't feel exactly the same way
Pretty much.

Nice try. I didn't say the people who don't look and don't know, just people who don't look the part. Knowing is half the battle.

ACTHEPD
Location: HiphopPhilosophy.com Radio ... HipHopPhilosophy.blogspot.com

Post by ACTHEPD »

Oh and one of the biggest ... internet forums like ughh and PF full of the type of suckers, game players, industry whores and pimps, wannabes, perpetrators, plagiarists, posers, etc., who represent the misled masses of people who can't see the difference between HipHop (the original creation of obviously great, yet unfamiliar styles of art) and it's opposite, Rap (the imitation/biting of the creation of fresh art) ...
myspace.com/theprogramdirector
HipHopPhilosophy.com
HipHopPhilosophy.blogspot.com
Martin wrote:i gotta be honest. acthepd is by far the biggest self aggrandizing faggot (outside of mindbender) on this website but he does have damn good taste and mixing skills
SCARLENE wrote:THAT LOCATION SUCKS...ONLY REASON I NOTICED YOUR STORE WAS I AM USUALLY STUCK IN TRAFFIC THERE, & OH MY GOD ACS STORE IS RIGHT THERE

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

A guy like Stretch Armstrong doesn't look like your typical hip-hop head yet knows more about the music than anyone else. Now take Dante Ross who knows it but looks and acts like the biggest douche bag ever.

Maybe it's a certain level of maturity but if you stood Hustle Crowe and Blockhead together on 125th and asked a handful of people who knew more about hip-hop who do you think they'd pick?

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

Hustlecrowe, obviously.

He's from PROFIT TENTS, ROUGE ISLAND not THE PILLAGE (OF MEN'S ASSHOLES)...

Drastik

Post by Drastik »

Philaflava wrote:if you stood Hustle Crowe and Blockhead together on 125th and asked a handful of people who knew more about hip-hop who do you think they'd pick?
is this like a trick question or.....

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

Drastik Da God wrote:
Philaflava wrote:if you stood Hustle Crowe and Blockhead together on 125th and asked a handful of people who knew more about hip-hop who do you think they'd pick?
is this like a trick question or.....
Which person of European person has more Negroid features?

Is it that hard, Drastik?

A: Hustle. He kinda looks like a bleached Popeye Jones with red hair.

cenzi

Post by cenzi »

the fact that T-Pain even appears in hiphop blogs.
the fact that Charles Hamilton's pink shit even appears in hiphop blogs.
the fact that TI is considered in ANYONE's top 10 GOAT list.
the fact that my GOAT is fucked up religious nut now.
the fact that there is less diversity in hiphop than before.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

ACTHEPD wrote:Oh and one of the biggest ... internet forums like ughh and PF full of the type of suckers, game players, industry whores and pimps, wannabes, perpetrators, plagiarists, posers, etc., who represent the misled masses of people who can't see the difference between HipHop (the original creation of obviously great, yet unfamiliar styles of art) and it's opposite, Rap (the imitation/biting of the creation of fresh art) ...
THERE'S THE SHAFT OF A PENIS ON YOUR FACE RIGHT NOW!!!!

the brow

Post by the brow »

[img]http://www.thumbplay.com/thumbsup/uploaded_images/muppet1-754001.jpg[/img] wrote:Zee fect thet T-Peeen ifeen eppeers in heep hup blugs.
Zee fect thet Cherles Hemeeltun's peenk sheet ifeen eppeers in heephup blugs.
Zee fect thet TI is cunseedered in ENYONE's tup 10 GOET leest.
Zee fect thet my GOET is foocked up releegiuoos noot noo.
Zee fect thet zeere-a is less deefersity in heep hup thunn beffure-a. Bork Bork Bork!
Shoot bro, I got a waterproof suit yo.

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

the brow wrote:
[img]http://www.thumbplay.com/thumbsup/uploaded_images/muppet1-754001.jpg[/img] wrote:Zee fect thet T-Peeen ifeen eppeers in heep hup blugs.
Zee fect thet zeere-a is less deefersity in heep hup thunn beffure-a. Bork Bork Bork!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Money Gripp wrote:^^^ I, too, am ashamed of my ongoing participation, however small and tangential, in a musical form that went from being one of the most interesting and progressive to one of the least interesting and regressive.
Great example of what I was going to mention. White people who suck at rapping, talking about how they are moving on to rock/folk music/soca, because hip hop is too limited, and stifles their creativity.
So, white people being faggots, I'd say.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

People like ACTHEPD and Mindbender who think that hip hop is way more important than it really is.

People like Mindbender who are horribly shitty at rap yet are able to make albums because of the internet.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Money Gripp wrote:
the brow wrote:

seriously. this will never not be funny.

DLG

Post by DLG »

Blockhead wrote:
Money Gripp wrote:
the brow wrote:

seriously. this will never not be funny.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Most of the stuff has already been listed. Quality is a big issue.

I used to buy an album a week even back when I was a student. Now it's become a rarity for me to find anything decent I want to buy.

A major element for me though, is how fractured and confused most fans appear to be now. This is definitely an opinion based on nostalgia, but Hip-Hop fans seemed to be more unified when it came judging what was a good single/album back then.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Easy.

Quality of live performances.

madtapes

Post by madtapes »

Smitty wrote:
Now, most of those serious rap fans are casual listeners. They constantly complain about how nothing is "real" anymore. And I can't blame them because they're just not exposed to, or actively looking for, a lot of the good stuff.

For myself, it's a part of my life. It's always gonna be there. So fuck it, I'm gonna try to listen to as much of it as I can. I feel the same way about almost all genres of music.

That was long winded. But I just smoked my first spliff of the day.
Do you have any examples of said "good stuff"?

step one

Post by step one »

The fact that bloggers have become tastemakers. I dont really see how people like Eskay and NMC are held in such high regard when they're basically bootleggers.

I think the general drop in standards across the board is the main problem though. Blame it on the internet.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Thun

Post by Thun »

The internet makes people rap like faggots and produce shitty nintendo beats?

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

the brow wrote:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

That I'm too old to like the majority of the popular shit and the fact that the majority of the popular shit sucks.

step one

Post by step one »

Thun wrote:The internet makes people rap like faggots and produce shitty nintendo beats?
no, but it makes it easier for them to be heard
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

the fact that men in their mid 30s and 40s are still obsessively following the fads of 14-16 year olds in a desperate attempt to remain relevant and win there respect.

im looking at you busta rhymes

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

step one wrote:The fact that bloggers have become tastemakers. I dont really see how people like Eskay and NMC are held in such high regard when they're basically bootleggers.

I think the general drop in standards across the board is the main problem though. Blame it on the internet.
The blogging situation is an issue with politics with some of these kids. Find out a few things about some bloggers and they hook up whomever through some odd connects. Or they big the shit up when people buy ad space on their page. Or they'll big up your mixtape if you put certain websites in between x's because they know they'll get some traffic.

Some of the bloggers actually want to post shit they fuck with and get cats exposure. Those are the cats who are genuine about the shit.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

ACTHEPD
Location: HiphopPhilosophy.com Radio ... HipHopPhilosophy.blogspot.com

Post by ACTHEPD »

Oooooh ... and Boom-clap patty-cake romper-room beats that ARE NOT HipHop ... that whole trendy style is NOT new or fresh ... that style is Rap = cheap watered-down imitation HipHop ... wannabe HipHop ...
myspace.com/theprogramdirector
HipHopPhilosophy.com
HipHopPhilosophy.blogspot.com
Martin wrote:i gotta be honest. acthepd is by far the biggest self aggrandizing faggot (outside of mindbender) on this website but he does have damn good taste and mixing skills
SCARLENE wrote:THAT LOCATION SUCKS...ONLY REASON I NOTICED YOUR STORE WAS I AM USUALLY STUCK IN TRAFFIC THERE, & OH MY GOD ACS STORE IS RIGHT THERE

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

ACTHEPD wrote:Oooooh ... and Boom-clap patty-cake romper-room beats that ARE NOT HipHop ... that whole trendy style is NOT new or fresh ... that style is Rap = cheap watered-down imitation HipHop ... wannabe HipHop ...
THOUGHTS OF A FAGGOT.