Jay Electronica - Exhibit C (produced by Just Blaze)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

DLG wrote:if you're looking for something genre defying and incredibly original in jay elec, you're not going to find it. His appeal is the fact that he sounds both familiar and fresh. He pretty much sounds like every good rapper in his prime, sometimes he sounds like Nas in his prime, sometimes like Common, sometimes he even reminds me of Doom with the cadence and when he throws in silly stuff, like in "I Feel Good" when he says "ya hoyd me?" shit like that...

He's just fresh all around, has a presence and comfort on the mic that's on par with most of the greats, and the combination of being a dope spitter and having that laid back southern swagger while being super humble at the same time just makes me really love every second of music he puts out.

It's rare in 2009 to hear something that just sounds really good and natural and uncontrived, jay elec is that dude for me, and I can't wait to hear what kind of album he has in store for us.
this.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

DLG wrote:if you're looking for something genre defying and incredibly original in jay elec, you're not going to find it.
I don't think that's true at all. You can easily define this as "genre defying" and "incredibly original." Who else has the balls to do something like this? Plus it is constantly shifting between linear and non-linear:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sWc4DG1s53g&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sWc4DG1s53g&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

axel foley

Post by axel foley »

nahright and 2dopeboyz aren't dropping any download links. just thought that was interesting. wonder if it'll make any difference.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

axel foley wrote:nahright and 2dopeboyz aren't dropping any download links. just thought that was interesting. wonder if it'll make any difference.
clearly the first sign of the tupacolypse
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

gotta wait n see. his best mixtape is act 2: patents of nobility, but it isn't up there with exhibits A & C. The way I see it dude is getting better, and working with just is a good look, but he has yet to prove he can make a solid album. I am optimistic but I have been hurt so many times before :(
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Thun

Post by Thun »

drizzle wrote:
axel foley wrote:nahright and 2dopeboyz aren't dropping any download links. just thought that was interesting. wonder if it'll make any difference.
clearly the first sign of the tupacolypse
:lol:

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

I fuck with this song, but a lot of shit i've heard by this dude sounds like Conspiracy.

rhickey

Post by rhickey »

nahright did, but pulled the link after just blaze called them out

Jonny

Post by Jonny »

that oldies sample takes it to the next level for my KRLA raised ass. I think it's Billy Stewart. Thats some vato loco shit.

Jonny

Post by Jonny »

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/geYdxyYMpxU&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/geYdxyYMpxU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:I fuck with this song, but a lot of shit i've heard by this dude sounds like Conspiracy.
:larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: / :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry:

Naysayer

Post by Naysayer »

Yeah, I don't get the hype, either. This guy raps instead of sings, doesn't use autotune, and has production that wouldn't appeal to your average mesh-shirted glowstick twirler. Sounds like FAIL to me.

It does, man.

Some dude mumbling about hocus pocus over a drumless beat = pure Conspiracy.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:It does, man.

Like what, though? I've heard nothing approaching that from him.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Employee wrote:

i think he's referring to the "voodoo man" accapella joint or the "eternal sunshine" joint. those are his "out there" (conspiracy-like) joints. the difference being that jay can rap on beat , says dope shit , and is able to put together a cohesive song.

I can't remember.

I just remember hearing some songs by him which featured no percussion where he was mumbling abstract gibberish that sounded like yer typical SBU mess to me.

Thun

Post by Thun »

philaflava.com discu$$e$ the rap-hop

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:I can't remember.

I just remember hearing some songs by him which featured no percussion where he was mumbling abstract gibberish that sounded like yer typical SBU mess to me.
Probably that Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind thing he did.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Yeah, I mean, I guess I can see that if it's a cursory listen.

In truth I don't have much of a leg to stand on considering I swore I'd never listen to him based on his name.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Blockhead wrote:
Employee wrote:

i think he's referring to the "voodoo man" accapella joint or the "eternal sunshine" joint. those are his "out there" (conspiracy-like) joints. the difference being that jay can rap on beat , says dope shit , and is able to put together a cohesive song.
DON'T EVER DISS CONSPIRACY

LOL @ Employee's sig.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:LOL @ Employee's sig.
Dude......

:rofl:

I am eagerly anticipating the IthiKKKle-started "Why Drake Is A Top 50 MC" thread. Hoping it arrives before the end of the year. My gut tells me that it will more likely than not be late Jan./early Feb. '10

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

this?
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aPJ5D1L0vfU&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aPJ5D1L0vfU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Thun

Post by Thun »

Employee wrote:
I Drive A Lexus wrote:LOL @ Employee's sig.
Dude......

:rofl:

I am eagerly anticipating the IthiKKKle-started "Why Drake Is A Top 50 MC" thread. Hoping it arrives before the end of the year. My gut tells me that it will more likely than not be late Jan./early Feb. '10
Wait no longer. The Ithe man is already goin' off.
IthiKKKle wrote:Even though OBCL2 is in my Top 5, it doesn't come close to matching So Far So Gone. OBCL2 is a collection of several great beats buoyed by the best cameo performance of the year, but it doesn't hold up as a whole and feels like the work of a manchild who's insulated himself from adulthood in a shell of cocaine, guns, kung fu movies, and name brand attire. An incredibly talented manchild, but a manchild nonetheless. I know this sounds contrarian, but I'm not just trying to be: Raekwon would make better music if he dabbled in other music genres and read more. He has a knack for abstraction and for shaping intriguing characters, but not for developing full, well rounded concept albums. This is probably why the first OBCL is my favorite album of his.

So Far So Gone is much more coherant and feels like the work of a musician who acts 10 years older than he is. It's hard to a credible mixtape after you've played a paraplegic on Degrassi , let alone one that's entertaining and full of innovative concepts.

So Far So Gone FTW.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Thun wrote:a manchild who's insulated himself from adulthood in a shell of cocaine, guns, kung fu movies, and name brand attire
:njj:

Thun

Post by Thun »

drizzle wrote:
Thun wrote:a manchild who's insulated himself from adulthood in a shell of cocaine, guns, kung fu movies, and name brand attire
:njj:
That's the god, get your shit right. Mega-trife and he killed you in a past life.

The real White Ice is well and truly back.

Yeah, Blockhead that was one of them.
Last edited by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

ya ya i know, throwin up six plates plus he study matrixes

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Thun wrote:
Wait no longer. The Ithe man is already goin' off.
IthiKKKle wrote:Even though OBCL2 is in my Top 5, it doesn't come close to matching So Far So Gone. OBCL2 is a collection of several great beats buoyed by the best cameo performance of the year, but it doesn't hold up as a whole and feels like the work of a manchild who's insulated himself from adulthood in a shell of cocaine, guns, kung fu movies, and name brand attire. An incredibly talented manchild, but a manchild nonetheless. I know this sounds contrarian, but I'm not just trying to be: Raekwon would make better music if he dabbled in other music genres and read more. He has a knack for abstraction and for shaping intriguing characters, but not for developing full, well rounded concept albums. This is probably why the first OBCL is my favorite album of his.

So Far So Gone is much more coherant and feels like the work of a musician who acts 10 years older than he is. It's hard to a credible mixtape after you've played a paraplegic on Degrassi , let alone one that's entertaining and full of innovative concepts.

So Far So Gone FTW.
BRO.....IS THIS FUCKING REAL????? WHAT THREAD???

I'M FUCKIN' LOLINGZ.

starks

Post by starks »

Philaflava wrote:i wish just blaze didn't get his puffy on all throughout this track.
i think he kind of sets it off

"we need something REALERRRRRR"

:megaman: