Timlaska's Top Ten-est Albums - Number 1 (New-3/18)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

Alaska gets gully to cinematic albums while hes all alone.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Dids wrote:I assume it's Jon Brion who is to blame for fagging up Hey Mama to such a degree. The leaked versions of that song >>>>>>>>>>>> what ended up on the album. I think all of Late Registration is equally over produced.

College Dropout is a much better, much more organic, honest, album. Don't understand this choice at all.

Both are much worse records than Ready to Die, which it seems you're clearly excluding, which is weird.

I also don't understand excluding pre 1998 content. 'Cause like, that's when all the great records were released.
its pre 88. not 98.

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

ALASKA wrote:
AWAE wrote:lol at kanye but ready to die isn't 'transcendent' enough...

did u make this list on ecstasy?

smh
you make shitty remixes (fail), your name is a weapon against evil (fail), you have a picture of bruce lee as your sig(fail) and you are from canada(fail)
lol

Windnbreeze >>>>>>>>>>>you

ObeseJesus

Post by ObeseJesus »

catfish hunter wrote:Alaska gets gully to cinematic albums while hes all alone.
:lol:

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

AWAE wrote:
ALASKA wrote:
AWAE wrote:lol at kanye but ready to die isn't 'transcendent' enough...

did u make this list on ecstasy?

smh
you make shitty remixes (fail), your name is a weapon against evil (fail), you have a picture of bruce lee as your sig(fail) and you are from canada(fail)
lol

Windnbreeze >>>>>>>>>>>you
i couldnt agree more.

that doesnt change the fact that you make shitty remixes (fail), your name is a weapon against evil (fail), you have a picture of bruce lee as your sig(fail) and you are from canada(fail)
Last edited by ALASKA on Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Ready to die , while unquestionably a dope album, is insanely over rated. nowhere near 10 ten (IMO).
but yeah, it's definitely better than any kanye album.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Blockhead wrote:Ready to die , while unquestionably a dope album, is insanely over rated. nowhere near 10 ten (IMO).
:leon:

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

disagree. Ready to Die > Kanye

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Wow... Kanye at 10 and over ready to die... :arrow:

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

naturalborn103 wrote:Wow... Kanye at 10 and over ready to die... :arrow:
dont you have something to cry about in sports bar?

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

A lot of list-makers seem eager to pick off-beat choices and write about them as if they were producing literature, instead of making credible solid picks.

You have talked about this album a lot so I guess you're serious. Certainly not a 'best' but moreso a 'favorite' choice.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:A lot of list-makers seem eager to pick off-beat choices and write about them as if they were producing literature, instead of making credible solid picks.

You have talked about this album a lot so I guess you're serious. Certainly not a 'best' but moreso a 'favorite' choice.
I think its definitely the best album of the decade. will it hold up, i dont know. i think so, but again, with all lists its just one mans opinion. I did run the total list through a few people who's opinions i respect and this was the only one that raised eyebrows. i knew i would get shit for it but i feel that it deserves to be on here, if only for the mushrooms experience.

cenzi

Post by cenzi »

interesting read in a Mein Kampf kind of way.

I am wondering which J-Dilla produced album will be your #1 pick.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

you want to tell us more about your mushrooms

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

catfish hunter wrote:you want to tell us more about your mushrooms
got them in austin, they were in the form of a candy bar, each square on the bar was supposedly an 8th. i ate 4 squares. it was amazing.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

cenzi wrote:interesting read in a Mein Kampf kind of way.

who is j-dilla?

cenzi

Post by cenzi »

ALASKA wrote:
cenzi wrote:interesting read in a Mein Kampf kind of way.

who is j-dilla?
some dude who killed Tribe Called Quest and Pharcyde before he died.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

ALASKA wrote:
... Your whole Philaflava career is based on crying about poster you don't like and fishing for compliments. Either way.. Horrible way to start off the list.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

naturalborn103 wrote:
ALASKA wrote:
... Your whole Philaflava career is based on crying about poster you don't like and fishing for compliments. Either way.. Horrible way to start off the list.
i see you have been keeping up with all my posting habits, do you like the way i post, man i hate posters who post things.

faggot.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

late reg musically is one of the best hip hop albums ever. kanye studied and perfected progression in his tracks. for example, 'gone' features a cello/viola type looped cut sample, some kind of xylophone like wind-chime like jawns, and drums. but then he starts the movement (progression), he comes in with the orchestral rise, cuts out elements that began the song, brings them back later in a perfect, seamless mesh, he has three maybe four different MOVEMENTS in the song...we're talking classical music structure

musically this album is next level imo

but kanye is a faggot rapper and i would never put an album of his in the top ten all time for RAP albums...top ten produced? hell yea
Nets 2022

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Reason wrote:late reg musically is one of the best hip hop albums ever. kanye studied and perfected progression in his tracks. for example, 'gone' features a cello/viola type looped cut sample, some kind of xylophone like wind-chime like jawns, and drums. but then he starts the movement (progression), he comes in with the orchestral rise, cuts out elements that began the song, brings them back later in a perfect, seamless mesh, he has three maybe four different MOVEMENTS in the song...we're talking classical music structure

musically this album is next level imo

but kanye is a faggot rapper and i would never put an album of his in the top ten all time for RAP albums...top ten produced? hell yea
would you put gangstarr albums in the top 10? because guru is really a subpar rapper as well, and if you are basing it on that criteria no gangstarr album should ever be top ten. Im looking at the album as a whole, not historical significance or what writers or other people think, or the impact on the culture. just the album solely based on the music on the album.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

ALASKA wrote:
would you put gangstarr albums in the top 10?
no.

but i make lists like these based on personal tastes and could care more what people think about my own opinion. i wouldn't make the list considering some things you considered which is your right/criteria (such as album sales)

amerikkka's most wanted is top ten all time. musically AND rapping-wise.

bomb squad progression/3 movements on nigga you love to hate >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

add cube's amazing rapping and there you have a classic top ten
Nets 2022

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Reason wrote:
ALASKA wrote:
no.

but i make lists like these based on personal tastes and could care more what people think about my own opinion. i wouldn't make the list considering some things you considered which is your right/criteria (such as album sales)

bomb squad progression/3 movements on nigga you love to hate >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

well stay tuned. i think you will be ok with the list. this is just the first salvo...and probably most controversial.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Reason wrote:late reg musically is one of the best hip hop albums ever. kanye studied and perfected progression in his tracks.
What is the world coming to? Are you fucking high, man??

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Employee wrote:
Reason wrote:late reg musically is one of the best hip hop albums ever. kanye studied and perfected progression in his tracks.
What is the world coming to? Are you fucking high, man??
did you ever take a music theory class or play an instrument? i was concert master in my district in 6th grade and 2nd chair 2nd violin in nassau county, long island

i'm talking about kanye's music from that perspective. just the music (not his rapping). in terms of the way he started, progressed, and ended his songs, he is on a different level and thinks about certain details the vast majority of producers don't even consider

:smugkid: times a billion
Nets 2022

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

I endorse the pick. I am also from Chicago and have a fondness for ghey nerd rapz. Production on this album is perfect from start to finish, like you said the guest spots are done right, and I like Kanye as an emcee. To me he has "erick sermon" appeal. Meaning despite some corny lines and a sense that he is trying to hard and often failing...I'd still rather listen to him over 90% of rappers. Also, this album still sounds great, College Dropout has nostalgia going for it but it isn't nearly as good. I'm also a big fan of Graduation, but this album is way more complete.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

ALASKA wrote:
Reason wrote:
ALASKA wrote:
no.

well stay tuned. i think you will be ok with the list. this is just the first salvo...and probably most controversial.
i'm not hatin anyway. and i will stay tuned
Nets 2022

Dids

Post by Dids »

"late reg musically is one of the best hip hop albums ever. kanye studied and perfected progression in his tracks. for example, 'gone' features a cello/viola type looped cut sample, some kind of xylophone like wind-chime like jawns, and drums. but then he starts the movement (progression), he comes in with the orchestral rise, cuts out elements that began the song, brings them back later in a perfect, seamless mesh, he has three maybe four different MOVEMENTS in the song...we're talking classical music structure

musically this album is next level imo "

Ehhhh....

I think that's probably all true, but the end result is a really overwrought album that's way too busy in a lot of uninteresting ways. I think "Gone" is probably one where it worked better than post, but overall I think that it's not an album that's nearly as fun, musically, as Kanye's earlier work.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Reason wrote:
ALASKA wrote:
Reason wrote:
ALASKA wrote:
no.

i'm not hatin anyway. and i will stay tuned
i didnt think you were.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Dids wrote:"late reg musically is one of the best hip hop albums ever. kanye studied and perfected progression in his tracks. for example, 'gone' features a cello/viola type looped cut sample, some kind of xylophone like wind-chime like jawns, and drums. but then he starts the movement (progression), he comes in with the orchestral rise, cuts out elements that began the song, brings them back later in a perfect, seamless mesh, he has three maybe four different MOVEMENTS in the song...we're talking classical music structure

musically this album is next level imo "

Ehhhh....

I think that's probably all true, but the end result is a really overwrought album that's way too busy in a lot of uninteresting ways. I think "Gone" is probably one where it worked better than post, but overall I think that it's not an album that's nearly as fun, musically, as Kanye's earlier work.
minimizing works wonders in hip hop music.
Nets 2022