Jay Zed ranks his albums

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

mud

Re: Jay Zed ranks his albums

Post by mud »

blastmaster wrote:BP2 is Jay-Z at his corniest.
Oh behave.
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

mud wrote:
blastmaster wrote:BP2 is Jay-Z at his corniest.
Oh behave.
Lol

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Jesus I forgot about the austin powers shit. What a waste of teh morricone goat.

binary

Post by binary »

vol. 2 sucked

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

where your mojo at? diamond is forever and bp2 title track are jay at the top of his game. the verse pradadon posted is back when he actually had something to say. funny to imagine these days i know.

because it came between the wildly overrated and much cornier bp1 & the all time great black album it gets overlooked. right this wrong.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

"I bounce up like round ball" and the oven door thing are some of the worst lyrics ever

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

peanut butter wrote:Vol. 3 is really good. Make sense that a vegan sports agent wouldn't like it tho.

PEACE
:rofl: meets :cheers:

bunch of revisionist :naswtf: and :killacam: :bunk: with Jigga putting "Life and Times Vol. 3" so low down there where it DOESN'T BELONG.

There is NO WAY IN THE FUCKING ACTUAL KNOWN UNIVERSE anyone with any taste that I will respect can say 'Blueprint Vol. 3' is better. 'Dynasty' is decent, but inferior to "Life and Times: Vol. 3".

ALL those songs are superior Jay-Z before 'I.Z.Z.O.' blew up and got him the universally loved album acclaim he got with 'The Blueprint'. 'Life and Times: Vol. 3' was when Jay-Z was still putting EFFORT into album cuts. 'Think There's Been A Murder'? Fucking GREATNESS. 'Snoopy Track' woulda BLOWN THE FUCK UP FROM N.Y. TO N.O. if they did a video for it, that is one of Juvenile's best moments. 'It's Hot' is Jay-Z's first fucking stab at 50 Cent's skull, NO SUBLIMINAL. REAL RAP. Timbaland was still making super fresh beats that were cutting edge innovations, not lazy echoes of past hits which he finally stopped doing on 'MCHG' (mostly). 'Dopeman' was a very good concept track that used pieces of Jay-Z's own trial in the song, and the beat was sick. 'S. Carter' & 'Pop 4 Roc' were the worst songs on it, but better than scads of scuzz on Vol. 2. And motherfuckers forget that 'Vol. 3.' was the times where Jay-Z made 'Big Pimpin', one of the BEST NYC/Down South collaborations of all-time. OF ALL-TIME!!! Timbaland also dropped timeless fon-kay flamenco fire with that thurr beat.

Ultimately: Jay-Z doesn't want to remember Vol. 3: Life and Times BECAUSE THAT'S WHEN HE WAS ON TRIAL FOR STABBING 'UN' RIVERA, CAUSE 'UN' BOOTLEGGED THAT SHIT AND IT LEAKED TO THE STREETS OF NYC MAD EARLY.

Maybe that's why there was only 2 official singles off it, and also why Jay-Z didn't drop the third song that would blew the fuck up at the time: "The Things You Do" feat. Mariah Carey. And sure, some hardrocks might hate on the sugary flute loops of that hot mami song, but that shit is a fucking HIT RECORD if there ever was one, and that song with Mariah is one of Jay-Z's most potentially huge songs that never got play. Mariah Carey, Jay-Z and Timbaland in 1999? :copy:

Vol. 3 is just under the Black Album for me. Once he put out 'Blueprint', he lost his cutting edge cleverness and world-class witty wordplay. He started to coast on the beats and the hype of the moment more than the content of the revelations in the rhymes.

For instance, on 'Snoopy Track' and 'It's Hot', he has subliminal shots to Nas long before 'Da Bridge 2001' and 'Ball Til You Fall'. One has to smirk when Jay-Z says: "don't mention my name and lames in the same sentence". 'Vol. 3' has the original seeds of Jay-Z calling Nas "a lame", as immortalized in 'Takeover' so powerfully, but 'Vol. 3' Jay-Z was the last time he put EFFORT and FOCUS into his verses. Hell, the second verse of 'IZZO' is fucking 8 bars! Hov just stopped caring after he was able to say "not guilty, y'all got to feeeel meh!"

:killacam: what about 'American Gangster' compared to 'Vol. 3'? GTFOH, LOL. That shit has like 4 great Jay-Z songs on it, tops. And nothing even as good as one of the best sequel songs in rap history: 'Anything'. :bow:

Shawn Carter can't stop lying to himself. AT LEAST he put 'Reasonable Doubt' where it belongs.
AND he put 'Blueprint 2' where it belongs too: at the bottom. WORST RAP DOUBLE ALBUM EVER BETWEEN TUPAC, BIGGIE, JAY-Z AND NAS, ha haa :rofl:

:ignore:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

OMG WTF LOL FAIL OLD

peace

step one

Post by step one »

I'm sure we did this thread about 6 months ago.
Easiest way to go about ranking these is just to put them into 2 groups.
Everything up to and including The Black Album is dope, everything post Black Album is shitty/boring.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

vol 2 = classic

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Nine Grammy nominations for Magna Carta Holy Grail.

step one

Post by step one »

Escobar305 wrote:vol 2 = classic
Probably the only thing we'll ever agree on although I suspect its for different reasons given that you're borderline retarded.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Combo7 wrote:Nine Grammy nominations for Magna Carta Holy Grail.

:fail: :bunk: :larry: :owens: :shittylikesometp: :nut: :thebest: :clay: :naswtf:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

RD
AG + K-DEF REMIX (somebody press that up from K source)
VOL 1

Black Album
Blueprint

BP3-WTT-MCHG

don't really care for the rest...remember Vol 2 and 3 as TRASH for the most part.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

this whole thing was just a subliminal dis the beanie siegel
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

step one wrote:
Escobar305 wrote:vol 2 = classic
Probably the only thing we'll ever agree on although I suspect its for different reasons given that you're borderline retarded.
I'll just drop this here: Vol 2 was literally the first rap album I ever bought.
I <3 Employee.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

Myjah wrote: Vol 2 was literally the first rap album I ever bought.
that's a weird place to start.

then again, mine was licensed to ill on cassette in late 1986.

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

sleazy_j wrote:
Myjah wrote: Vol 2 was literally the first rap album I ever bought.
that's a weird place to start.

then again, mine was licensed to ill on cassette in late 1986.
I was 11 or 12 when Vol 2 came out.

I always leaned more towards R&B than rock as a young kid. My parents were a little too old to be playing hip hop for me though.
I <3 Employee.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Gave up after Reasonable Doubt, and I don't even think that's a particularly amazing album. I remember when I first heard Hard Knock Life on Westwood and feeling embarrassed. Liked a few tracks here and there over the years, but never really got Jay-Z.

Yeah, I said it.

ADR

Post by ADR »

^ clark bent level bravado, bruh

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

ADR wrote:^ clark bent level bravado, bruh
:lol:

"My standards are higher than most" etc.

I just feel I can be honest in my old age. Wasn't deliberately trying to be contrary.

step one

Post by step one »

I'm pretty sure alot of people didnt check for Reasonable Doubt until a few years after it dropped.

MC Homeless

Post by MC Homeless »

step one wrote:I'm pretty sure alot of people didnt check for Reasonable Doubt until a few years after it dropped.
Absolutely.
"You gonna let a cheeseburger do that?" Yeah, I like to instigate