Timlaska's Top Ten-est Albums - Number 1 (New-3/18)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Magneto wrote:I think Illmatic is held in such a high regard, besides it being great is

Nas ushered in a new era of lyricism. I mean now it's old hat, but in 1994, the way Nas was rapping, niggas was not spitting like that. At all. He was basically an improved Rakim.

The production lineup is legendary
i believe its the only album in the top ten that has multiple producers. it is an insane line up, and great how they all managed to create a vibe through the whole album.

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

ALASKA wrote:
Magneto wrote:I think Illmatic is held in such a high regard, besides it being great is

Nas ushered in a new era of lyricism. I mean now it's old hat, but in 1994, the way Nas was rapping, niggas was not spitting like that. At all. He was basically an improved Rakim.

The production lineup is legendary
i believe its the only album in the top ten that has multiple producers. it is an insane line up, and great how they all managed to create a vibe through the whole album.
Yep. That lineup was legendary. I can't think of an album with that many producers with only 9 tracks, and them all being upper echelon beatmakers.
"I spit that thug shit nigga, MOTHERFUCK singing"

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:"Nas is Coming"
Why do people hate this song?

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

Rob Sonic wrote:
Magneto wrote:
Rob Sonic wrote:Didn't illmatic kind of do shitty sales wise for a good while when it dropped?
No, it did ok, but not great. However, it was one of the most heavily bootlegged albums ever, so that hurt.
word I do remember that hurting big time it but i also remember wondering ,back then why it wasn't really doing well in other parts of the country. Hence maybe it not being the "typical over rated" record as people mentioned. Now of course it's considered one of the best but how much of that was after thought.

I think its a good number 3 Tim
Well I mean as rated nowadays. Honestly I never heard anyone say it was the best rap album of all time until the internet. Though it seems like no one is even saying that anymore so what the fuck am I talking about

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

The Afronaut wrote:
battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:"Nas is Coming"
Why do people hate this song?
Let me count the ways -

AESTHETICALLY -

-the intro faux-acting it opens with stops the album dead in its tracks and rivals both "Oochie Wally" and his denial of evolution as the most embarrassing moment of his career.

-the hook, for something seemingly meant as menacingly minimalist is uninspired and delivered by whoever's girlfriend was moments-ago sleeping in the Death Row hallway.

-for an album so focused, Nas sounds all over the place.

-the beat is proto-"Been There Done That" Dre at the absolute most boring point in his career.

-it's location on the record makes it completely inappropriate to have it claim "Nas is Coming"

-it's the longest song on the album by over a minute, making it a brooding black hole of suck from which there is no escape.

HISTORICALLY

- You have the first-ever collaboration from the two responsible for, at that point, the most important rap albums of the decade. This was supposed to be "The Chronic" meets "Illmatic" and the fusion of the two then pinnacles of the genre's output that decade resulted in the WORST TRACK ON THE ALBUM. This colossal let down is what I believe left such a bad taste in people's mouths and the main reason why it was remembered as such a disappointment.

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

Reggie wrote:
Rob Sonic wrote:
Magneto wrote:
Rob Sonic wrote:Didn't illmatic kind of do shitty sales wise for a good while when it dropped?
No, it did ok, but not great. However, it was one of the most heavily bootlegged albums ever, so that hurt.
word I do remember that hurting big time it but i also remember wondering ,back then why it wasn't really doing well in other parts of the country. Hence maybe it not being the "typical over rated" record as people mentioned. Now of course it's considered one of the best but how much of that was after thought.

I think its a good number 3 Tim
Well I mean as rated nowadays. Honestly I never heard anyone say it was the best rap album of all time until the internet. Though it seems like no one is even saying that anymore so what the fuck am I talking about
Most magazines called it the best album ever since 1994, basically.

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

Anyone know when Nas Will Rock was recorded?

Req

Post by Req »

Magneto wrote:Anyone know when Nas Will Rock was recorded?
96, it`s Nasג€˜ verses from the R Kelly remix of `"Street Dreams" over a Pete Rock beat
F.U. MOOLAH

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

Req wrote:
Magneto wrote:Anyone know when Nas Will Rock was recorded?
96, it`s Nasג€˜ verses from the R Kelly remix of `"Street Dreams" over a Pete Rock beat
Thanks.

Req

Post by Req »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:
-the intro faux-acting it opens with stops the album dead in its tracks and rivals both "Oochie Wally" and his denial of evolution as the most embarrassing moment of his career.
"no, there is another...."

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L4cJg8riPSI&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L4cJg8riPSI&hl ... 2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
F.U. MOOLAH

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

yea illmatic is my number one internet or not
Nets 2022

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

I think Nas career is underrated. He's pretty much top 5 rapper of all-time, no matter how you slice it.

His albums collectively might not be all loved but his catalog of songs are incredible.

Nas' best 30 songs can match any rapper's in history, imo.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Magneto wrote:I think Nas career is underrated. He's pretty much top 5 rapper of all-time, no matter how you slice it.

His albums collectively might not be all loved but his catalog of songs are incredible.

As much as I don't want to admit it because I feel Nas is a stupid, lazy, self-absorbed nitwit, you're pretty much on point.

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

Magneto wrote:I think Nas career is underrated. He's pretty much top 5 rapper of all-time, no matter how you slice it.

Word. Illmatic, The Lost Tapes, It Was Written, and Stillmatic are all great to me though. Gods Son and Untitled are dope too. When Nas is on, he`s pretty much untouchable.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

word song for song nobody fucks w/ him

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

I'm thinking about doing what Alaska has been doing, but instead of Ten best albums, ten best rappers of all-time on the blog. Drop two a week. I gotta really think about it, and think about every single factor. Yeah, I'm a do that.

Stoned Starks

Post by Stoned Starks »

vermillion wrote:

Word. Illmatic, The Lost Tapes, It Was Written, and Stillmatic are all great to me though. Gods Son and Untitled are dope too. When Nas is on, he`s pretty much untouchable.
His catalog of unreleased material is amazing too. That Nas blog (can't remember the name for the life of me) that featured it was one of the best until the dude ran out of material.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

I would read that magneto. Once I finish this I have another idea about boiling old albums down to the essential three tracks. Most older albums only really hold three tracks that still stand up if you wanted to introduce that artist to someone who never heard them

Req

Post by Req »

Stoned Starks wrote:
vermillion wrote:

His catalog of unreleased material is amazing too. That Nas blog (can't remember the name for the life of me) that featured it was one of the best until the dude ran out of material.
http://escobartheory.blogspot.com/
F.U. MOOLAH

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I'm so happy you picked the right one.
:cheers:

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

First off, good pick...good write up.

Secondly while I would agree that Aquemini > ATLiens (although ATL is still probably a personal fave)...saying that that ATLiens "sounds incredibly dated" I think is stretch if not plain wrong.

The Big Boi to Prince Po comparison was hella on point. :cheers:

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Blockhead wrote:I'm so happy you picked the right one.
:cheers:
it really is a no brainer. you can almost look at outkast like a basketball team going for the title.

southernplaylistic - young team shows a lot of promise for the future if they can keep it together.

atliens - team making the leap, almost taking it to the promise land but falling short

aquemini - putting it all together kinda like isiah and the pistons after the tough lose to the lakers and coming back a year later to win it all.

stankonia - still a strong team, but a step down from the championship form. maybe a few bad free agent signings.

love below/speaker boxx - two alpha dogs tryign to claim superiority to the detriment of the team.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

The Afronaut wrote:First off, good pick...good write up.

Secondly while I would agree that Aquemini > ATLiens (although ATL is still probably a personal fave)...saying that that ATLiens "sounds incredibly dated" I think is stretch if not plain wrong.

The Big Boi to Prince Po comparison was hella on point. :cheers:
the production on atliens has a really mid 90s feel to it. You can put a finger on the era. the drums are pretty awful and the atmospheric moody just didnt age well. that said songs like elevators and two dope boys in a cadallac are still great.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

i really like aquemini but its not nearly as good as atliens

aquemini is a much more difficult listen and an album that i find just about impossible to listen to all the way thru...it plays long as shit and has some pretty awful filler

atliens is much more seamless and had better overall songs

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

clark bent wrote:i really like aquemini but its not nearly as good as atliens

aquemini is a much more difficult listen and an album that i find just about impossible to listen to all the way thru...it plays long as shit and has some pretty awful filler

atliens is much more seamless and had better overall songs
atliens has a few moments but overall it is lackluster, especially when compared to aquemini. the hooks are awful and the production is snooze inducing.

I sat with both records and couldnt even get through atliens without deleting most of it from my ipod. the production alone on aquemini kills atliens.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

i dont know even a dope song like spotty i dont need to listen to for eight minutes...really no rap song should be longer than four and a half and aquemini has like 10 songs over five minutes

that dumb ass george clinton song still hasnt ended

six minutes of mamacita...are you kidding me?

liberation is longer than the lord of the rings trilogy

in fact everything after the art of storytellings is pretty much a train wreck

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

clark bent wrote:that dumb ass george clinton song still hasnt ended
:rofl: :cheers:

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

clark bent wrote:that dumb ass george clinton song still hasnt ended
One of the best songs on that record.
six minutes of mamacita...are you kidding me?
:lol: Now here, I think we're in agreement.
liberation is longer than the lord of the rings trilogy
That song is great ALL the way through.
in fact everything after the art of storytellings is pretty much a train wreck
Chonkyfire, Liberation & Yall Scared are the shit.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

chonkyfire hurts the ears...but even if you really think all those songs are great do they need to be 8-9 minutes long?

i dont care if its mass appeal TROY or mind playin tricks...id say the same thing if any of those tracks were of that length