the Ka thread

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Gyangsta 4 Life

Re: Ka - Cold Fact (video)

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

You sound like battered wives rationalizing the abuse. The no drums gimmick is wack now. Ka's best, most replayable songs are the ones with drums, like "Born King" and "No Downtime". End of story.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

he's obviously creating a vibe.. adding a snare would kill that tension

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

^I get that. But EVERY song? Even whale sound albums have percussion every now and then.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Blockhead wrote:^I get that. But EVERY song?
funny how so many rap albums have the same fucking drums over and over on every track yet nobody ever raises an objection like above

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

drizzle wrote:
funny how so many rap albums have the same fucking drums over and over on every track yet nobody ever raises an objection like above
I remember when "Wu tang forever" came out one of my biggest gripes was that every song had the same drums. "boom boom kick" like…EVERY SONG. Looking back, it was pointless to care about that though. But it's easier to get away with using the same drums cause , well, it's rap music. It's built around drums.

Versive

Post by Versive »

One would think that would make it harder to get away with it, which, I think, might've been part of what that light misty motherfucker was saying.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I wouldn't say Ka is "getting away" with not using drums. It's an obvious creative choice on his part. where as, on Wu tang forever, I'd argue it was just the RZA being somewhat lazy when it came to drum programming.

Versive

Post by Versive »

I think you misunderstood.
drizzle wrote:
Blockhead wrote:it's easier to get away with using the same drums cause , well, it's rap music. It's built around drums.
Versive wrote:One would think that would make it harder to get away with it, which, I think, might've been part of what that light misty [drizzle] motherfucker was saying.
Because the genre is built around using drums, it should be more offensive when one uses the same drums on every track than when one doesn't use a snare on every track. But nobody ever complains about repeated drum patterns, and they probably should.

Haven't listened in a minute, but I also disagree with your assessment of Wu-Tang Forever on GP.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I think using the same drum pattern will slip beneath the cracks cause there are so many other elements to a beat. People get away with it all the time. Hell, Primo used the same sounds for like a decade and no one said shit for the first 7 years. Or how many people have rocked the substitution break? Where as having no drums is glaring EVERY TIME.
As for Wu tang forever, you should just skip through it track by track. You'll be surprised. it's different sounds but the "boom boom bap" programming (with some slight variations) is on like 70% of the songs..which is like 15 plus songs. I remember skipping through tracks like "Wow…again?". And like I said, looking back, who cares? But it is kinda funny that no one ever mentioned it.

Versive

Post by Versive »

RE Wu: I'm sure you did this years ago, with no regard for Ka's style (if it had even developed yet), but I'd posit that it's beatmaking styles like his, Roc Marciano's, even Kanye West's (was it Roses that had all that rapping with no drums?) that would actually cause people to take notice of something like this in the first place.

Think about how any genre develops. All of a sudden one or two guys start doing something that seems totally left field. Next thing you know The Monkees are dropping acid in India or some shit.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Ironically, I'd say it was RZA who started the no drums thing if you think about it. 97 mentality and Hollow bones could easily be KA beats. hahaha

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Blockhead wrote: Primo used the same sounds for like a decade and no one said shit for the first 7 years.
this is actually more along the lines of what I was referring to, you're right about the RZA drums thing, that was def noticed and bitched about.

ironically, since you mentioned RZA, remember Biochemical Equation? people were so hyped for a RZA/Doom collab and then hated on it instantly because it had no drums

Sebastion Shaw

Post by Sebastion Shaw »

Love Ka and he can spit but he turning into Ursula Rucker with all this coffee shop incense poetry over hums.

Give the man some beats and let him rock! If I don't have incense and frankencense and myrrh burning I can't listen to him.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Sebastion Shaw wrote:Love Ka and he can spit but he turning into Ursula Rucker with all this coffee shop incense poetry over hums.

:lol:

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

really digging the vibe of this dr yen lo stuff so far... but im definitely in the "let the drummer get some" camp

my favorite ka tracks from Grief Pedigree had drums... as sparse as they were... just gimmie a couple of tracks with a snare somewhere on this

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

I like this one better than Day 0, feels more like a song. OK - so maybe it would be nice to get a hi-hat or a rattle or something.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Like both of these alot. Don't mind that there's no drums. He's got such a limited amount of material that it's not overdone at this point.

Sebastion Shaw

Post by Sebastion Shaw »

People sleep on this dude.............literally ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slept halfway through these last tracks just cuz the lyrical content isn't where I need it to be to listen to boring raps AND Beats....

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

AWAE wrote:

dope

still want drums tho

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

^ :leon:
Those samples are fucking awesome though.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

AWAE wrote:
Needs drums, this is getting ridiculous now

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

definitely the best one yet. Gonna be a sick project.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kace

Post by Kace »

Yeah he definitely needs to start using some drums (no wicked)
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

Sebastion Shaw

Post by Sebastion Shaw »

I like this one better. Sample is dope.

He's still a male Ursula Rucker to me though. Great at poetry night, not so much on Open Mic night.

Also I've noticed alot of y'all like rappers who sound the exact same on every single track. Same cadence everything. No variation. Like every verse is interchangeable.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

So. who on the internet is gonna take it upon themselves to remix all of these drumless KA songs by just adding drums to them...

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

i actually don't mind no drums on these. don't question the man's vision.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

there's a few kick drums on this track; there's just not every bar and they're way low in the mix.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

sleazy_j wrote:there's a few kick drums on this track; there's just not every bar and they're way low in the mix.
We want loud drums, breh!

#MURICA